Page 1476 of 1481 FirstFirst ... 476976137614261466147514761477 ... LastLast
Results 51,626 to 51,660 of 51835

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Sheila and I have been invited out on Katana tomorrow night to anchor off away from street lights and look for meteors. It's a Mothers Day gift for Sheila. Apparently I'm going to be in charge of getting Katana out of her berth, then out into the gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Enjoy.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

I'm having fun with bureaucracy in my volunteer role. What they semi-government body want done cannot be done under their own rules, but they still wnat it done. Several tasks and categories apply, and when they pay for a second opinion the reply is often worse. Has to do with preservation of historic items. They are in a bind, they cannot fulfill their own raison d'etra as it is now. There is a way out but it involves money, lots of money which the body does not have.
    I attended a 3 hour meeting with the brass and was quite fed up with them in the end.
    I am expected to do things for which I have no authority not being an employee. I do not expect a satisfactory outcome.
    In its own way though it's quite amusing, remember the story of the foo foo bird?

Tweed Heads lost a trawler today, Moonspinner sank off Tweed heads after suffering a bilge pump failure. Other trawlers answered the call and took off the crew.

Moonspinner.jpg

I spent a good part of today cutting out ply panels for the boat. I've decided to replace the cabin sides and top. So I may need to buy at least two more sheets, as there is a bottom panel that will need replacing.
    I'd been in two minds about replacing the cabin but there is a soft spot and there have been a lot of patches done over the years.
    Mission creep I guess.
    BTW It's still raining.

Just curious, if and when is the next Hobart wooden boat festival scheduled?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Just curious, if and when is the next Hobart wooden boat festival scheduled?

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Hmm, would be nice to go again, but with a bit more time to spare.

We have a trailer.
    Trailer.jpg

Been looking for a small fitting from my rudder all season, did a temp job with wire, found it in the glove box today…………………….

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Been looking for a small fitting from my rudder all season, did a temp job with wire, found it in the glove box today…………………….

Know the feeling.....we have packed up most of our stuff, got rid of some and put some in self storage in Inveloch in preparation for our build in Foster. I hope I can find all my boat stuff when the time comes to put things back together for launch day later this year!!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Hmm, would be nice to go again, but with a bit more time to spare.
    We are planning to motor sail Warana to Hobart for the 23 Festival. I'm taking some long service leave to stay for a few weeks and cruise Tasman Peninsula and the D'entrecasteaux Channel.
    If Dylan is finished the deck and cabin on Roiaata he might join us. He's making good progress and is just about ready to lay ply embedded in epoxy on the deck. This will be finished off with a sheet of fiberglass in epoxy.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Yes, random boat bits.

A few weeks ago I found several bags of recently retired dinghy sails in hard rubbish. Brought them home 'just in case.' One set has already been donated to a local dinghy cruising enthusiast. Today I was walking along our little street and a neighbour stopped his car alongside for a chat. Two minutes later I had an almost new boat anchor slung over my shoulder. The woman who had put the dinghy sails drove past laughing her head off. On Saturday I remembered I had a diesel fuel jerry can in the shed. It went to Katana the same day.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I have managed to complete the registration of our EoI form for the 2023 Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart. We hope to see many of the forum posters down in Hobart in February 2023. You are all welcome to visit. Thelma will also be giving demonstrations of rope mat making at the festivalL1000802.jpgboat..jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    I have managed to complete the registration of our EoI form for the 2023 Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart. We hope to see many of the forum posters down in Hobart in February 2023. You are all welcome to visit. Thelma will also be giving demonstrations of rope mat making at the festivalL1000802.jpgboat..jpg

Bruce, excuse my ignorance...and possibly my memory, but that is a Virtue isn't it?

Hi Gary, You are correct Tui of Opua is a Vertue with sail number V167. That number represents the 167th set of plans sold by Laurent ( Jack) Giles for the Vertue Class. Not all plans sold relates to the number built.

If you wish to follow the voyages of a very interesting Vertue Google Speedwell of Hong Kong. Shirley converted her Vertue from a sloop to a junk rig and has just completed a voyage from Fiji to Indonesia via Torries Straight non stop. Just over 4000nm non stop.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    Hi Gary, You are correct Tui of Opua is a Vertue with sail number V167. That number represents the 167th set of plans sold by Laurent ( Jack) Giles for the Vertue Class. Not all plans sold relates to the number built.

If you wish to follow the voyages of a very interesting Vertue Google Speedwell of Hong Kong. Shirley converted her Vertue from a sloop to a junk rig and has just completed a voyage from Fiji to Indonesia via Torries Straight non stop. Just over 4000nm non stop.

Bruce
    I know about Shirley. An amazing woman.

H Gary, Shirley Carter's Vertue 'Speedwell of Hong Kong' was built using the same details for the coachouse and cockpit as we used, later to be known as the Ocean version of the Vertue design. This was due to the 4 portholes on port and starboard side of the coachouse rather than 2 large windows on each side. Later Eric and Susan Hiscock went for the same layout with Wanderer 111 albeit 30 feet long.

Bruce

Hi Gary, What a great photo, looking at the bow wave Speedwell of Hong Kong must be travelling at 5.5 to 5.8 knots. Not much short of the 6.2 knots hull speed.

Bruce

The JR is a powerful rig down wind. I passed three 24 footers one day with Redwing, and I started behind them.

I received an invite, Hartley TS16 Australian Championship at Largs Bay, South Australia. Unfortunately it's a bit far away .

I phoned my wife and said, "I've got something to tell you, but it's hard to say."
    She said nervously, "Go on..."
    I said, "Ken Dodds dads dogs dead."

Hobart '23! Hmm, I'd love to take Masina but MIL issues will prevent that and likely also prevent us attending at all. We usually treat the festival as our big splurge and stay at the Grand Chancellor but it's risky booking anything like that at present. I'll read the tea leaves and see what can be done - I'd certainly like to go.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Having just spent a bit of time in the shed this morning doing various non-boat jobs. I thought, just maybe I might risk a bit of ply panel painting...sadly it was not to be. Every panel has a thin layer of condensation over it.
    Humidity is high, the ground is totally waterlogged, and of course, it's drizzling rain.

According to BOM, Uki recorded 2093mm of rain for the year 2021.
    For 2022, so far the recorded rainfall is 2337mm. I have a feeling the figure for Feb 28 is wrong, BOM is showing 575mm. I was told the figure was 1088mm.
    Anyway, it's too bloody wet to do any meaningful work on the boat.

The JR is a powerful rig down wind. I passed three 24 footers one day with Redwing, and I started behind them.

I received an invite, Hartley TS16 Australian Championship at Largs Bay, South Australia. Unfortunately it's a bit far away .

No it's bloody not! It's down the end of my street. I can put you up and put up with you if you can get here.

No it's bloody not! It's down the end of my street. I can put you up and put up with you if you can get here.

I do realise that Jeff.

I should have been a bit clearer. My travel commitments this year are WA in August, which will probably be the extent of the travel budget. The idea of doing Tassy in February is maybe possible, but it's going to depend on a few factors....ie, budget required.

Much as I'd like to go to Hobart, if only to catch up with a few friends, no. But I've been to 5 and enjoyed every one so I cannot complain.

Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Good story Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Much as I'd like to go to Hobart, if only to catch up with a few friends, no. But I've been to 5 and enjoyed every one so I cannot complain.
    Maybe I will settle for catching up with you next time we are in Melbourne.

She looks almost identicle to the 40 ft WW2 army workboats built in Melbourne's docklands. Jack Guiterazz who built my boat was a foreman at Holden for this endevour.

40' Army Workboats

While not being experienced in boatbuilding, General Motors Holden’s Ltd and Ford Manufacturing Company had expertise in mass production techniques. This permitted the boats to be assembled quickly and reliably without requiring large numbers of workers skilled in boatbuilding. Prior to WW2, many automobiles still contained considerable woodwork, both in structural components that supported the coachwork, and also in the interior fittings. J. Botterill and Fraser provided the knowledge of boat-building and would have picked up mass production techniques from the other contractors.

Bruce Cockburn

Well, stun me with a brick! After five days of nonstop drizzling rain, the sun is shining!

Humidity through the roof, but what a gloriously sunny day.