Page 1469 of 1477 FirstFirst ... 469969136914191459146814691470 ... LastLast
Results 51,381 to 51,415 of 51670

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Great days sailing, stiff easterly and building. You had to pay attention. I was stuffed when I came in after 4 hours on the water.

Zero boat activity here. Helping my daughter sort out and tidy up her mums house. Christine didn't throw much away.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

We came home because it looked like we might get wet. Unfortunately that meant sailing 10 miles in 20 knots on the wind and quite a spiteful little sea.
    But that's not the worst... we had to tack! Did it twice. One tack we even were going the wrong way ! What is the world coming to, next we'll have android landscape architects rising out of the ground ,and other bizarre occurrences.

Boys have been out fishing while I work on the boat. I managed to get one days work out of one of them helping me to paint the cabin top. We have a good routine with the 2 pack as the brush can lag. I roll on the paint with a 100 ml roller and he follows with a brush tipping the paint. He has a pot of thinners to wet the brush in every now and then to keep it running smooth.

Good catches over three seperate trips out from the heads with a few blanks in between.
    First catch, Josh with a nice Bluefin:

next, Jesse with a bag of Bluefin, a count of four. He's the one helping with the painting:

and a nice yellowtail kingfish by Josh. So we've been feasting on sushimi, tuna steaks on the bbq, smoked tuna and we have a few jars of preserved tuna to a few recipes the boys are trying out.

.........no sailing
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Hallam, such a lovely boat. There's a dead ringer for that hull here at Lemon Tree. I'll have to get a photo and post it here.

I'm a bit worried though .... I look at the scraps bin and wonder if there's really much boat left! I'm also jealous of your boatyard. A commonsense boatyard where you can actually drive up and set up all the necessary stuff around your boat, keep the car there where you're working etc. There's nothing like that anywhere around here. Hauling out is a major drama/headache here.
    Last edited by RFNK; 01-24-2022 at 09:57 PM.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

The scrap bin is from a fifty foot strip plank hull they are building in the shed. I would love to see a pic of that dead ringer boat!

The yard has a travel lift and because I have a shallow draught i can drive the boat onto their trailer at the Sorrento boat ramp at high tide.
    A pic of the driving the boat onto the trailer for the haul out before last. I felt like a bit of a cowboy!

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I don't know about anybody else here, but I seem to be losing friends to cancer. A good friend in Melbourne has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.. And I have a granddaughter in the US has covid for the 2nd time. At least she is vaccinated this time.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Do losses come in waves? We've had a few times when we were afraid to answer the phone at night. Attended nine funerals in a month in '96. I sympathize with your losses and hope this is just the latest wave and it drops off. Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Do losses come in waves? We've had a few times when we were afraid to answer the phone at night. Attended nine funerals in a month in '96. I sympathize with your losses and hope this is just the latest wave and it drops off. Soon!
    At my age it is to be expected that more people start hitting their use by date. I remarked to Kerry yesterday that I long for the days when my biggest worry was the boat....she laughed.

Bootlegger and I did another dash and splash along the coast today. Largs Bay to Grange and return. Total distance over ground 10.8 nm that included tacking, shy reaching, broad reaching with surges up onto the plane with wave assistance, and running.

I'm pretty keen on dash and splash sailing at the moment, either out and return or one way. I'm not tempted to race around in triangles at Largs, and I'm not yet convinced a Sabre is a viable overnighter. I'll enjoy this kind of sailing fir a while though.

I'm very pleased with the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I'm not yet convinced a Sabre is a viable overnighter.

I'd doubt anyone else has been convinced yet either

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Besserwisser; 01-30-2022 at 04:32 AM.

"I'm not yet convinced a Sabre is a viable overnighter."
    Designed as a racing dinghy, one or two stages up from a Mirror so I was told. Mirror is a better bet as a tourer, but that said my lightweight XC skiing camping gear packs into two drums either side of the centreboard case. I have had a 3 day sail in her and camped on shore. Had to go for a swim around her just to stretch my legs a couple of times. Stick a sealed foam pad down your shorts though, bumpy sailing can be hell on your but.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    "I'm not yet convinced a Sabre is a viable overnighter."
    Designed as a racing dinghy, one or two stages up from a Mirror so I was told. Mirror is a better bet as a tourer, but that said my lightweight XC skiing camping gear packs into two drums either side of the centreboard case. I have had a 3 day sail in her and camped on shore. Had to go for a swim around her just to stretch my legs a couple of times. Stick a sealed foam pad down your shorts though, bumpy sailing can be hell on your but.

That sounds like all the encouragement I'll need.

Thanks

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

...but that said my lightweight XC skiing camping gear packs into two drums either side of the centreboard case. I have had a 3 day sail in her and camped on shore. Had to go for a swim around her just to stretch my legs a couple of times. Stick a sealed foam pad down your shorts though, bumpy sailing can be hell on your but.
    Ah now sleeping ashore changes the whole equation...

The difficulty I had imagined was grabbing any sort of useful sleep while contorted under the thwart & and around the case, among other nightmares.

So, go for it. Of course, it'd be especially viable if there were nice seafront hotels thoughtfully spaced one good sailing day apart

We used to be able to sail up the river to a very nice pub…………. but much reduced waterflow means so much sand in the estuary you cannot get to the actual river mouth even with your centreboard and rudder half way up on a full tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Besserwisser View Post
    Ah now sleeping ashore changes the whole equation...

The difficulty I had imagined was grabbing any sort of useful sleep while contorted under the thwart & and around the case, among other nightmares.

So, go for it. Of course, it'd be especially viable if there were nice seafront hotels thoughtfully spaced one good sailing day apart

Seafront caravan and camping parks spaced neatly around the coast would be a nice thing and beach camping has a great appeal. Wrap a bivi sheet around a sleeping bag and snooze on the sand.

I'll have to measure the space between the side tanks and case. Maybe a fold down wooden reclining sling seat with legs going forward under the thwart for a nap. I suspect I'm kidding myself about the space, but I'll check, just in case. After all, A J MacKinnon set the benchmark in Jack de Crow.

I look forward to having my life back and time to work on Redwing ll.
    Some dry, not humid weather would be nice.

I think Bruce even a slim young bloke like you might find that a bit restrictive. And personally I would not be happy in a sleeping bag with my legs under the thwart whilst afloat.

I've got a Grey Shrike Thrush sitting on the top of my screen as I type. He knows I have access to crumbs…..

I'm looking at the weather for another out-and-return on Sunday with a 10 knot NE broad reach on the say out and a 5 knot E->SE beam reach to broad teach coming home. If I get organised I'm aiming at Glenelg, around 10 nautical miles each way.

If I do end up idling back in 5 knots in the afternoon I might try a beach seat in the cockpit, the seat back support straps supported by straps to the stb thwart. Sunscreen, sunglasses, straw hat, cuppa tea sort of thing.

My son Dylan's yacht Roiaata has at last been loaded for transport and delivered to the Wooden Boat Shop's yard in Sorrento for a major refit /v restoration. The main work will be the deck and replacing the cabin which has extensive dry rot.

In Sydney

....and arriving in Sorrento

Bruce Cockburn

That's a long haul! Nice looking boat. Your son has good taste

Yes, Roiaata is a John Alden design with some minor modification by the Turcel brothers who built her in Aukland NZ in the 1930's. Dylan might join the forum and start a thread on his rescue project to bring Roiaata back to seaworthy condition. He has begun an instagram account here; #sv_roiaata

Last edited by Hallam; 02-07-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

Nice! Great!
    Rick

Our Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta, in truncated form and not a 3 day event is on this weekend. Missed last year of course, Covid, and this year is a bit of an unknown still. Early bookings were slow, but that was not unusual Saturday 30 with easterlies, Sunday 36 but but we'll get a good sea breeze up to around 25Kts if precedent is a guide. Bit of a risk, masked, 2 shots etc. I guess we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.

Our Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta, in truncated form and not a 3 day event is on this weekend. Missed last year of course, Covid, and this year is a bit of an unknown still. Early bookings were slow, but that was not unusual Saturday 30 with easterlies, Sunday 36 but but we'll get a good sea breeze up to around 25Kts if precedent is a guide. Bit of a risk, masked, 2 shots etc. I guess we'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck with it. I know you'll be busy, but grab a photo or two if you can please.

Damned kookaburra landed in my breakfast bowl AGAIN this morning. This is one cheeky bloody bird

IMG_20220211_071026388.jpg
    Rick

Um, had to be rescheduled owing to the unavailability of a commercial dishwasher demanded by the health department.
    19th and 20th Feb.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Yes, Roiaata is a John Alden design with some minor modification by the Turcel brothers who built her in Aukland NZ in the 1930's. Dylan might join the forum and start a thread on his rescue project to bring Roiaata back to seaworthy condition. He has begun an instagram account here; #sv_roiaata

Looks like she has Pilot Cutter lines. Does she carry a gaff rig?
    She'll be beautiful under sail. She'd stiffen up nicely when she gets her shoulder in.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Beautiful! Think you can talk him into documenting the process here?

Seeing Roiaata is a buzz, apart from her significance and history here, my friend Neil and crew survived a 360 degree rollover in her.

Neil C.?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Neil C.?
    No, Neil G. I think I put him in touch with Hallam a while back, but he'd like to see that photo I'm sure.
    Neil's dad owned Waione in the 40s and then when I was cruising racing her in the 80's at the Akarana yacht club I met him. He was racing/ cruising a beautiful kept and fast Birdsall 37. A bit closer to my father's generation, so he was closer to him as a mate. So at some stage I knew of his connection to Roiaata and the pacific storm which resulted in the rollover.

Funny, (random thought) another man of that generation and friend of my father is the guy I just bought the panga off . I didn't realise then that people I met way back then would carry on to be friends and aquaintances so far into the future.

Rollover is pretty serious! Did the mast survive? Any serious structural damage?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Rollover is pretty serious! Did the mast survive? Any serious structural damage?
    Can't remember, I have or had the article.