Page 1463 of 1468 FirstFirst ... 463963136314131453146214631464 ... LastLast
Results 51,171 to 51,205 of 51380

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Marine Rescue may have judged towing the boat too greater risk.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

It's not really up to Marine Rescue. There are tugs and Water Police at Eden, plenty of trawlers who would do it for a fee, I'd have thought. I guess my main point is that a boat like this shouldn't sink from hitting a sunfish. I also expect that the boat won't actually sink until it hits the shore, if they let that happen.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Here, let me at it.
    It's pathetic .

Lagoon cats don't usually have dagger boards and tend to be overbuilt for charter work. Armour plated sunfish?
    Rick

Barring any end of the world scenarios, I reckon I will have the centercase back in next week.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Lagoon cats don't usually have dagger boards and tend to be overbuilt for charter work. Armour plated sunfish?

How sunk is it? The only photo I have seen seemed to show one hull intact and one hull completely awash.

I can only assume that the effort to retrieve it would be an exercise in throwing good money after bad, and nobody is volunteering to throw money into the venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Well, it would have cost at least $150K. How much to tow it to a protected shore - about 20 km.
    Rick

Do the know for certain 100% it was a sunfish...even though it's been reported as being at fault for the sinking. Might have something else that was mistaken for a sunfish? Never known one to cause substantial damage to any type of watercraft and Ive seen them often enough over the years. Might have been an "insurance" job???????

O ooo, dunno about that..There's some serious structural issues with those things, youtube and relevant forums are full of it. Bulkheads not being tabbed in properly being one of the more strident problems.

Okay, maybe they're not so strongly built after all! But a sunfish? Hard to believe.
    Rick

Great days sailing, wind nw 12/15kts, backing to east/se 18/23kts. Perfect Sabre conditions. Cracker of a day sailing in the bumps. As the tide comes in a 3-4ft short chop develops, even some breaking waves. I enjoy sailing in that.
    Around 3.30 I decided against one last blast across the estuary and brought the boat up. While I was hosing it down a haliard parted and the mast came down. Must have been only one strand holding it for the last part of the afternoon.
    Much easier to deal with however than a similar event whilst sailing.
    Other than that lots of fun!
    Last edited by skuthorp; 12-05-2021 at 05:59 AM.

Closest i got to sailing today was buying ss nuts for the center case bolts.

A few years ago I was on board a 45 ft ketch sailing non stop from Sydney to Fiji. We were beating into strong winds for about a week. As we approached Suva the wind fell light (maybe 5 knots) there was a bang and the forestay parted. Fortunately the boat was cutter rigged and the mast stayed up. If it had happened any time earlier it would have been a very big problem. The break was due to a stress fracture in the stainless wire.

Hi John, great to hear from you! So, the actual wire broke, presumably at a fitting, or was it a fitting?
    Rick

A friend of mine lost his forestay sailing down the west coast of our North Island a few days ago. Same thing, kept his rig due to the staysail .
    Sounds like it's weld/tang on his mast that's failed.

You guessed correctly, Rick. It was where the wire met the swage. In Suva I came across another yachtsman where the failure was due to the wire shrouds on the lee side moving back and forth. Eventually this can cause a stress fracture. Good idea to take the slack out with shock cord.

Came across this on Facebook by a gentleman named Mark Backer.
    I don't know if this would be helpful to others building from plans, but I figured out how to use Excel spreadsheets to layout my bulkheads on 4 x 8 sheets of marine plywood. I tried to use free versions of AutoCAD but the learning curve was too steep. It turns out that Excel has some pretty nifty image handling features that I didn't know about until I tried playing around with it. I have managed to cut out all my bulkheads and spine pieces with this method with a minimum of waste of expensive plywood. I could share with anyone building Long Steps if you are interested.
    For those who are interested, I opened the plan pdf's in Adobe Acrobat, set the magnification so that I can see one whole part of the plan, like a bulkhead, (which worked out to 66.7% for me), did a screen shot (I use Greenshot), went to Excel and pasted the screen shot into a blank workbook. You have to make sure now that you never resize the image once it is pasted in. You right click on the image you click on "Format Picture..." and menus will appear that allow you to rotate the image in x, y and z axes. You can also click on the image and do copy/paste (Ctrl C, Ctrl V) to make a copy so that you have two halves of the bulkhead.

FB_IMG_1638846629575.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    You guessed correctly, Rick. It was where the wire met the swage. In Suva I came across another yachtsman where the failure was due to the wire shrouds on the lee side moving back and forth. Eventually this can cause a stress fracture. Good idea to take the slack out with shock cord.
    It's a tricky issue. Our late friend, Mike Elton, was always on about it. It can be caused by fatigue or crevice corrosion. I think awareness of both and prevention where possible are pretty important!

Still adventuring with that lovely boat John?
    Rick

Moved the Folkboat into a shed today. First step in the long overdue restoration of a very neglected but lovely little boat.

IMG_20211207_085157620.jpg

IMG_20211207_091359679.jpg
    Rick

Yep. I'm still daysailing on Pittwater and doing the odd camp cruise in Jess.The last one was a five day sail from where I live in Pittwater, up the Hawkesbury River to Berowra Waters. The river has steep banks with high vegetation in some parts, so the winds can be fluky. Also you need to work the tides. The wind was pretty light for the whole of the trip and, as you know, it can be quite hard work making progress in light, fickle conditions with no auxiliary power. More taxing than when it's blowing hard, really. There was nowhere to go ashore so I spent every night camping on board. I enjoyed the challenge but when I got home I was absolutely pooped. It's an age thing. I'm fast approaching 80.

I sometimes toy with the idea of a proper yacht. But then last week we had one of those perfect summer days. Clear skies, balmy temperature, a steady sea breeze of 10 to 15 knots. I went out for a solo sail and fell in love with my boat all over again. I think I'll own her for a few years yet.

Excellent!
    Rick

I sometimes toy with the idea of a proper yacht. But then last week we had one of those perfect summer days. Clear skies, balmy temperature, a steady sea breeze of 10 to 15 knots. I went out for a solo sail and fell in love with my boat all over again. I think I'll own her for a few years yet.
    Great to hear from you!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

And you too Johnno. I haven't had much to contribute but I have been lurking.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looking forward to more of the folkboat Rick. You gonna do a thread?

Folkboats, at once they appear simple AND complicated. Remarkable vessels, I always loved the look of them.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I have a fond memory of a day out on Pipsqueak.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Looking forward to more of the folkboat Rick. You gonna do a thread?

Folkboats, at once they appear simple AND complicated. Remarkable vessels, I always loved the look of them.
    I do have a thread somewhere that I might revive. I'll how it goes. We're supposed to start scraping the hull tomorrow.
    Rick

Meanwhile, here's a couple of abandoned projects from a Hunter byway

IMG_20211129_100714682.jpg

IMG_20211129_100751633.jpg

IMG_20211129_100943792.jpg
    Rick

I know I have some photos of my trip down to Rick's but I've no idea where I've filed them. I even searched my old Redwing Update thread but no luck.
    I did however come across these.
    The hull and transom looked just fine, there were no visible signs of rot or soft spots.
    Transom prerot.jpg

Hull prerot.jpg
    I should have glassed it.

Thunderstorm coming through at the moment.

Came across this.
    FB_IMG_1639169713282.jpg

Yep. I'm still daysailing on Pittwater and doing the odd camp cruise in Jess.The last one was a five day sail from where I live in Pittwater, up the Hawkesbury River to Berowra Waters. The river has steep banks with high vegetation in some parts, so the winds can be fluky. Also you need to work the tides. The wind was pretty light for the whole of the trip and, as you know, it can be quite hard work making progress in light, fickle conditions with no auxiliary power. More taxing than when it's blowing hard, really. There was nowhere to go ashore so I spent every night camping on board. I enjoyed the challenge but when I got home I was absolutely pooped. It's an age thing. I'm fast approaching 80.

Real inspiration to read about your Hawkesbury camp cruise good for you. And the fact that age is merely a state of mind, there may be hope for some of us younger folk yet.

Like the look of the tug Rick… Modified open boat?

Looks like I'm going for a boat trip to Southport on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Like the look of the tug Rick… Modified open boat?
    Pretty typical river trawler around here. I'd think it always had a cabin. I don't know anything about the boat. It's just one of several rotting away on the bank at Hexham. Here's a shot of the interior:

IMG_20211129_101704421.jpg
    Rick

Moved the Folkboat into a shed today. First step in the long overdue restoration of a very neglected but lovely little boat.

IMG_20211207_085157620.jpg

IMG_20211207_091359679.jpg
    Great news lucky Pipsqueak. Nothing like changing gears at full throttle from two house renovations to replacing rivets.
    Have you enlisted some help?