Page 1461 of 1463 FirstFirst ... 461961136114111451146014611462 ... LastLast
Results 51,101 to 51,135 of 51180

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Parts of SA certainly copped it.

The ESP light has been coming on in the Kia Sorrento, so today I took it to the Kia service centre. Turns out the ABS module is on the fritz...to replace it with a new part is $4,541.66! We bought the car for $5,000!
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Parts of SA certainly copped it.

The ESP light has been coming on in the Kia Sorrento, so today I took it to the Kia service centre. Turns out the ABS module is on the fritz...to replace it with a new part is $4,541.66! We bought the car for $5,000!
    Main dealer servicing is expensive once a car is out of warranty. Find a good independent garage.
    You may be able to track one down on Ebay for a fraction of that price. Made in Korea:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19251762995...wAAOSwDkVaEE0n

Get the correct part number, I don't know what year your Sorento is.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Stiletto; 10-28-2021 at 06:36 AM.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Main dealer servicing is expensive once a car is out of warranty. Find a good independent garage.
    You may be able to track one down on Ebay for a fraction of that price. Made in Korea:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19251762995...wAAOSwDkVaEE0n

Get the correct part number, I don't know what year your Sorento is.
    Good Luck!
    We are going to talk to our regular mechanic, we trust him. You are right I'm sure we can do far better than $4.5k.

Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Weep no more for me....
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Weep no more for me....
    Masinevita.

Well, let's hope so, anyway! If as much epoxy ended up in the seams as leapt onto me, she should be okay! I used PNG rosewood as it's durable and glues well. Tomorrow I'll glass it and fair it in (aka throw heaps of goop at it) on Sun and Mon.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Masinevita.
    Took me a moment.

The split rig was developed around keeping the mast in its original BM position.
    emmelene 1.jpg

https://emmelenevoyages.wordpress.com/

No Vintage Regatta photos after Jim’s well executed first race followed by a DNF caused by a capsize that almost ended in a tragedy.
    While tacking in pre race manoeuvres we capsized after my belt had somehow slipped over one of Jim’s large bronze oarlocks trapping me on the windward side and subsequently dragging me under as Jim tends to lie partially inverted.

Unable to free myself as my belt is latch activated and will not release under pressure I was on the brink while on my third attempt to cut my belt, not an easy task as the wind had picked up making the boat and my position unstable.

There are are a number of lessons to be learned here.

More emphasis on crew drills in making sure everyone is accounted for and only then releasing sails and attempting to right vessel ,in my case there was a total failure of crew response despite given a brief warning of the problem occurring .

Always cary a sharp knife which may save your life no matter what size of vessel your sailing on and make sure the waterproof bag that holds your phone can be submerged.

Anyhow Jim performed wonderfully easy to right although somewhat tedious to bail out.
    The addition of the jib turned her into a proper little yacht well balanced at times even steering herself and able to point higher.
    Early indicators of better performance where out sailing a Corsair 16 in the relatively light winds of the first race.

Despite the DNF I still managed to walk away with two awards one for best presented small boat including 200$ In vouchers a sailing jacket and a Brisbane Gladstone waterproof pouch.

Certainly some lessons there Tom. We went down, had a look out from Scarborough headland and only saw 8-10 boats (maybe 6 larger craft) off in the distance. I was a bit annoyed as it was quite calm and I had decided not bring my boat down given the strong wind forecast for the afternoon. I always remove oarlocks..I don't like any things poking out which can snag lines, but I hadn't thought of belts. Reminds me of my old builders who raised my house who would not wear rings or watches in case they caught on something and put them in danger. Anyway, glad you emerged unscathed but must have been scary. And well done on the awards!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Sounds like a few uncomfortable moments re the belt issue. Glad you avoided serious injury!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Hey Tom, what a fright! She's a tender thing - I do question her capacity for sea voyages, lovely as she is. All based on my couple of hours aboard, improperly rigged, so please correct me if I'm wrong! I agree with your point about carrying a safety knife although I never have. I feel the same way about clipping on at sea - it's when you think you won't need the tethering that you probably will! And a knife with that makes a lot of sense. I think I'll put it on my 'things I have to get used to' list and start doing it.

I have a neighbour who chopped his thumb off with a mooring line.

As above, congrats on the awards! I think you're possibly the most awarded sailor I know!
    Rick

Glad you are okay Tom. Is the lead ballast in?

A Bracing experience Tom, glad to hear no permanent harm was done. I got my shorts outside leg hooked up in some lever stepping off the trac'or the other day. I screamed inside like a little baby.

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Certainly some lessons there Tom. We went down, had a look out from Scarborough headland and only saw 8-10 boats (maybe 6 larger craft) off in the distance. I was a bit annoyed as it was quite calm and I had decided not bring my boat down given the strong wind forecast for the afternoon. I always remove oarlocks..I don't like any things poking out which can snag lines, but I hadn't thought of belts. Reminds me of my old builders who raised my house who would not wear rings or watches in case they caught on something and put them in danger. Anyway, glad you emerged unscathed but must have been scary. And well done on the awards!
    Totally agree with you that oar lock should not have been there. Unfortunately I was unable to remove it after rowing out due to lack of access in removing the bent rivet shaft locking the oar lock in place.

And yes the turnout was poor for this rescheduled race possibly as it was a long weekend in Brisbane, NSW border restrictions and poor weather forecasts.

Rick -Jim is definitely more suitable as a two handed vessel ,however with additional ballast and some changes such as leading the main halyard lines aft and incorporating a permanent bow sprite with a furler she could certainly quality as a more adventurous single handed cruiser.

Once I finish my build on Mcleay Island my plan is to trick up the inside coaming with some NG Teak veneer and also install a raised cap rail which will make her more weatherly and act as a an early sail reduction warning system .

Gary - No ballast as we where racing.
    However it will be interesting to capsize test the boat with additional ballast in order to see how she handles.

John- Yes although I came to the conclusion that drowning is a quick way to go particularly when one is using maximum amounts of oxygen.

Re :getting shorts caught on tractor lever, just as well nothing else got caught and as you possibly experienced it’s not the fall that hurts but the sudden stop when you make contact.

It's OK Tom, I stopped before I got hoist by my own petard, and I'm still very glad you didn't have to gnaw anything off to save yer self.

My first ever sailing experience was on my brother's VJ. I was sitting forward of the mast in the spinnaker bowl when we capsized. Next thing I knew was I was under water and under the Jib and I couldn't swim. Somehow I untangled myself and surfaced as my bother was yelling, WHERE'S GARY?

While waiting for some Vintage Regatta Action shots I came across this one from last year.

46CDA956-7215-48F2-860A-8734DD4343D6.jpg

Rick

Not sinking is good.
    Just sold my 9.9hp Suzuki outboard. The cost of my new sail is almost covered.

Humidity around 95%, dashed unpleasant...the rain can't come quick enough.

Prices seem to be on the up. I bought a handful of treated pine yesterday and all I can say is I'm glad I'm not building a house.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Prices seem to be on the up. I bought a handful of treated pine yesterday and all I can say is I'm glad I'm not building a house.
    Last time I stopped in at Bunnings there was noticeably timber supply gaps.
    My first foray into blue steel and I have to admit there are advantages.F2312729-4799-4F60-9308-6E13A78DE254.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Last time I stopped in at Bunnings there was noticeably timber supply gaps.
    My first foray into blue steel and I have to admit there are advantages.F2312729-4799-4F60-9308-6E13A78DE254.jpg
    My own house is built from Blue Scope steel. It's now 6 years old. I went for the steel option to eliminate white ant issues and rot etc and to also take advantage of the new technology surrounding light weight construction with strength. The first couple of years the entire structure seemed to move a lot: there was always a lot of noise emanating from the frame and hair line cracks did appear in the plaster board (almost impossible to see but none-the-less still visible). The house movement does seem to have settled down now if thats at all possible given its a steel construction and we still get the hot days and cooler changes throughout the day/night. The other notable challenge is fixing fastenings to walls. You dont have the pleasure and ease of drilling into a timber noggin or other framework. Its a lot more difficult locating the steel framework even with a stud finder and the metal is thin, so you have to do the drilling job right the first time!

IMG_2798.jpg

I was in Bunnings today to purchase some pine to start my new workshop benches: 6 lengths each of 70 x 38 x 4.8 m and 70 x 38 x 3m = $282!!! I tried first at my local sawmill for hardwood for the timber annexe but he was far too pricey. Knowing that I didn't even bother to get a quote on the bench framing. I even had a look at buying 'railings' from the fencing supplier but that stuff was deplorable. Great big sap veins and splits and knots every inch. Hopeless to work with.

Timber is expensive now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    My own house is built from Blue Scope steel. It's now 6 years old. I went for the steel option to eliminate white ant issues and rot etc and to also take advantage of the new technology surrounding light weight construction with strength. The first couple of years the entire structure seemed to move a lot: there was always a lot of noise emanating from the frame and hair line cracks did appear in the plaster board (almost impossible to see but none-the-less still visible). The house movement does seem to have settled down now if thats at all possible given its a steel construction and we still get the hot days and cooler changes throughout the day/night. The other notable challenge is fixing fastenings to walls. You dont have the pleasure and ease of drilling into a timber noggin or other framework. Its a lot more difficult locating the steel framework even with a stud finder and the metal is thin, so you have to do the drilling job right the first time!

IMG_2798.jpg

I was in Bunnings today to purchase some pine to start my new workshop benches: 6 lengths each of 70 x 38 x 4.8 m and 70 x 38 x 3m = $282!!! I tried first at my local sawmill for hardwood for the timber annexe but he was far too pricey. Knowing that I didn't even bother to get a quote on the bench framing. I even had a look at buying 'railings' from the fencing supplier but that stuff was deplorable. Great big sap veins and splits and knots every inch. Hopeless to work with.
    Hey Bern nice house with a generous block .

Regarding the steel flexing and associated noise I’ve heard of that ,in my case I’m using a 7mm flexiboard type foil insulation material instead of sarking on the outside combined with Axon fibre cement cladding and insulation in the walls which will hopefully alleviate flexing noise.
    Is your house on a slab or stumped.?
    Speaking of noisy buildings it can never be as bad as spending a sleepless night in the KL,Times Square high rise apartment which sounded as if close to collapse as the cooler night air contracted the steel .

I’m still learning about steel but my understanding regarding stud location is to use a magnet, regarding my blue scope steel it’s rather hard to drill and I have not had a single problem with self tapers stripping once drilled.

Regarding timber supply too bad your not down here because so many houses are being demolished.I just bought a newish insulated patio roof complete with gutters ,4.5 m beam and mounting kit for $300.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 11-20-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Well,the bloke that bought my rig has bought a Tophat already junk rigged. So my old rig is back on the market.

The only hardwood ofr any size I could get here was Blackbut that had been in their stacks for a couple of years. At least it's nice and stable.

Cracker of a day's sailing today. Sunshine, a stiff SE breeze and an interesting broken swell. Enjoyed myself immensely.

Tom
    the block is 5000 sq meters. Unlike most everyone else, we put the shed/s up the front of the block so we can enjoy the privacy and quiet at the back of the house.

The centre portion of the ceiling does not have a void space at all: the interior ceiling follows the skillion roofing and the atrium is over 4 m on the highest side. That plus the 3 large windows at the top of the western facing wall means the house is more prone to extremities of heat. This has been the problem which invariably caused most movement initially when we went through some very hot 'summers'. But as I said, the movement has slowed right down now and the cracks in the plaster board are of no real concern.

The house is on steel posts (75mm square) raised less than 1 m at the highest point. No deck railings per Qld building code if less than 1 m!!!
    We've since installed air-conditioning for the main part of the house and the roller awnings for the rear deck. The awnings help regulate the temperatures a great deal. We haven't planted trees close to the house due to potential damage from trees during a cyclone. Trees up close would be of major benefit though.

All up we are very happy with the house. Its built to Cat 2 (cyclone) standards but I know it will withstand a Cat 5 cyclone and termites will never be a problem! Plus the look of the house is what appeals: the norm up here is 'block' homes built on the ground. They are hot and ugly and lack character.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-21-2021 at 06:32 AM.

Non frequent visitor here but after some advice please.

im looking at a boat soon and Iím wondering what is the protocol for paying for travel lift for survey, the actual (Iím reasonably sure Iíd be paying) survey.

next up how does one go about checking the provenance (?) and ownership given the reg no. Who do you go to, I think this boat is registered in Queensland.

Has anyone heard of a builder in Brisbane by the name of L.Jenkins. Boat was built in 1983

BTW itís a 30í Falmouth cutter.

Thanks Andrew

House looks very good Bernie. Great to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Donald View Post
    Non frequent visitor here but after some advice please.

im looking at a boat soon and I’m wondering what is the protocol for paying for travel lift for survey, the actual (I’m reasonably sure I’d be paying) survey.

next up how does one go about checking the provenance (?) and ownership given the reg no. Who do you go to, I think this boat is registered in Queensland.

Has anyone heard of a builder in Brisbane by the name of L.Jenkins. Boat was built in 1983

BTW it’s a 30’ Falmouth cutter.

Thanks Andrew
    Hi Andrew,

The buyer pays all the survey costs, including haul out. No registry that I know of to check provenance. L. Jenkins would be Laurie Jenkins, an old friend of our good friend, David. A good builder. Now based in Mooloolaba. Perhaps you could contact him and ask him more about the boat.
    Rick

Thanks Rick, much as I thought.