Page 1460 of 1463 FirstFirst ... 460960136014101450145914601461 ... LastLast
Results 51,066 to 51,100 of 51181

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I went to buy a sheet of 6mm marine ply today, and was told to come back in late November. There is a place just over the border that may have it, but apart from the fact i don't want to drive up there, I'm sure the covid restrictions will allow me to. Luckily I have plenty to keep me busy.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

I know what I'll be doing for the next week or so

IMG_20211021_142853518_HDR.jpg be
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Looking lovely - will soon look lovelier...
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

There's a ketch rigged H28 for sale at Tweed Heads for $7,000.

What is the recommendation for varnishing Oregon spars glued up with epoxy? I was thinking deks olje, because I expect they'll get pretty beat up. Something easily available, I think the chandleries here do ainly norglass and international...

For long wear and ease of re coat Cetol is a good choice.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I went to buy a sheet of 6mm marine ply today, and was told to come back in late November. There is a place just over the border that may have it, but apart from the fact i don't want to drive up there, I'm sure the covid restrictions will allow me to. Luckily I have plenty to keep me busy.
    Since grandchildren are being handed across the border at Bay St I’m sure no one would object to a pice of plywoodł

I use Carbaline AF. For a range of annoying reasons, Masina hasn't been antifouled for 3 years. I expected the growth to be much worse but there was really only growth around fittings and a little along the waterline. Everything came away easily. I think I'll be able to run a 2 year schedule as long as I dive to clean the prop and brush down fittings fairly regularly.

IMG_20211021_094356472_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211021_094348985_HDR.jpg

Both anodes are shot. I changed the shaft anode about 18 months ago so I'll need to change the anodes in the water every year, I reckon.

IMG_20211021_161645329_HDR.jpg
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Since grandchildren are being handed across the border at Bay St I’m sure no one would object to a pice of plywoodł
    I can wait, there is still a lot to do before I can glue on plywood. Seems the centreboard case is not quite to plan, it's 75mm short in height. So that needs to be modified before it can go back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    For long wear and ease of re coat Cetol is a good choice.
    I like Cetol, if you haven't got a brush a twist of rag will do. I should have done Redwing's mast with it. Instead I used some expensive high tech clear auto finish and it peeled.

cheers, is this the one? https://www.international-yachtpaint...h/cetol-marine
    i'm a little wary of coloured/tinted oils because somethimes they're really orange, buti might only have the "natural teak" option here?Webversion_3-CetolMarineNatTeak_1lt_2a.jpg

I'm not sure if they put out a transparent clear finish. The ones I use give a satin finish.

[QUOTE=RFNK;6546897]I use Carbaline AF. For a range of annoying reasons, Masina hasn't been antifouled for 3 years. I expected the growth to be much worse but there was really only growth around fittings and a little along the waterline. Everything came away easily. I think I'll be able to run a 2 year schedule as long as I dive to clean the prop and brush down fittings fairly regularly.
    Both anodes are shot. I changed the shaft anode about 18 months ago so I'll need to change the anodes in the water every year, I reckon.

I agree it looks very good for three years. Any other jobs, or just the external below waterline paint + replace anodes?

The priority is the antifoul. There are a couple of seams with minor weeping so I'll dry them out and patch them up. Only a few cms in each case. I'm changing the bilge pump outlet to a bigger fitting and I want to get the anchor chain back on board so I need to wire up the new windlass. I'll get the yard to put Propspeed on the prop and shaft. I'll prep it all.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The priority is the antifoul. There are a couple of seams with minor weeping so I'll dry them out and patch them up. Only a few cms in each case. I'm changing the bilge pump outlet to a bigger fitting and I want to get the anchor chain back on board so I need to wire up the new windlass. I'll get the yard to put Propspeed on the prop and shaft. I'll prep it all.
    What antifoul do you use Rick?

I use Carboline 3000. I bought a hookah the other day so that I can dive on the boat without having to get a tank. My great plan is to clean the hull down every month or so but I'll how that goes. The water needs to be calmish, there needs to be a bit of current but not too much and I need to feel like doing it. I feel like doing it now but it's spring and the boat's out of the water ....

I'm also putting the pushpits back on the boat. I fitted winging out solar panels to them and ran the cables through the tubing. I got some bronze bolts to fasten the pushpits down too, to replace the old SS bolts.

I also found rot at the bottom of a floor. It doesn't seem to have infected the keelson or anything else so I've just chopped it out to make a much larger limber way. I'll get it all smooth and coat it. I can't really see how rot could get going there - maybe a bit of sapwood or some previous problem? Anyway, I'm hopeful that it's sorted.
    Rick

Don't forget to take some photos when all done - been a while seen I've seen some good photos of her.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    cheers, is this the one? https://www.international-yachtpaint...h/cetol-marine
    i'm a little wary of coloured/tinted oils because somethimes they're really orange, buti might only have the "natural teak" option here?Webversion_3-CetolMarineNatTeak_1lt_2a.jpg

I didn't use the marine option but instead went for a bunnings option that seemed most transparent. There is a bit of colour to it but standing back 5 or 10 meters it looks like an oregan mast which it is. It has been fine in the weather for two years. A re- coat this year will do.

https://www.envirocoatingsaustralia....ens-cetol-hlse

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Our season opening has been delayed by a couple of weeks it seems, by then we'll know if the release has made things worse or not. Some people down here, where there is no covid to speak of are very apprehensive. Others seem to have released themselves a couple of weeks ago. We'll see if the new NSW PM got it right, or not. I note that Chant, their health guru on covid seems to have been sidelined.

Getting an early taste of Summer up here. Very humid and damned unpleasant out in the sun...building for another thunder and light show tonight I'd say.

Rick

Looks like a lot of different things going on deep in there.

At least it looks like a fairly small area.

Not too much going on. The trench where the planking meets the keelson was filled with tar and I think there was a pocket in it that trapped rainwater that got in somehow. The bead and cove planking leaves a gap in the seam at the top of the cove which would be okay if epoxy was used to glue the seams but resorcinol was used, which leaves a gap. So, somehow, trapped water has entered the seam and then run along the gap in the seam, causing the edge nailing to rust and rot to set in. I don't know how it then seeped through the sheathing but probably the swelling plank tore the sheathing so water could seep out. Anyway, lucky it did because that's what showed the problem. A couple of bits of planking to be scarfed in now, a patch of sheathing and refilling the trench with either epoxy or tar. There's always something extra to do when you haul these old boats out.
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-25-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    Rick

Thanks, that makes sense now. It was all the angled grain and tar stains that looked a bit confusing. Not so bad really, now I understand.

Friend of mine built this in Sydney and is motoring up the coast to Tweed and the Gold Coast. He's hauled out at Oyster Cove in Port Stephens to lengthen the rudder.
    FB_IMG_1635222158771.jpg

Ah, I was going to post a photo of that boat. David Payne design, recently built. Strip pawlonia glass sandwich. Don't say I said so but I don't think lengthening the rudder will fix the problem. The twin props are almost beside the rudder so I think the rudder possibly picks up too much turbulence to be effective. I wish them luck though, it's a very good looking boat.

IMG_20211025_171040113_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_170805347_HDR.jpg
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Ah, I was going to post a photo of that boat. David Payne design, recently built. Strip pawlonia glass sandwich. Don't say I said so but I don't think lengthening the rudder will fix the problem. The twin props are almost beside the rudder so I think the rudder possibly picks up too much turbulence to be effective. I wish them luck though, it's a very good looking boat.

IMG_20211025_171040113_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211025_170805347_HDR.jpg

Thanks Rick, I was invited to join the cruise, but I just can't be away that long.

Have to steer with the engines?

Is the name a joke pun something or is there a local meaning naive people across the ditch don't understand?
    That antifoul looks great,Rick, Carboline does well here in the BOI too. Maybe it's time for us to change too.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Is the name a joke pun something or is there a local meaning naive people across the ditch don't understand?
    That antifoul looks great,Rick, Carboline does well here in the BOI too. Maybe it's time for us to change too.
    I've asked Terry about the boat name.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've already scrubbed it down so it looks better in the photos than it was but it was pretty good overall. Bruce Morley reckons the buildup around the prop and rudder fittings is probably due to galvanic action - the copper in the AF reacting to the steel shaft and rudder fittings. I'd assumed it was just physical - something for the growth to cling to. The shaft and rudder anodes look like they're doing their job so I'm not sure what I can do to prevent that buildup other than regular scrubbing.
    Rick

A boat next to us is a Sigma 36. The owner has entered it in the new short-handed category of this year's Sydney to Hobart. He has another boat in the Netherlands that he's entering in the 2023-4 Global Challenge - single-handed, non-stop round-the-world thing. So he's obviously barking mad but a nice guy and seems to know what he's doing. Good to have boats to follow in these big races!
    Rick

What do we know about Carboline Altra Lock? Recommended to me for sealing timber and steel. I'm always wary of such claims .....
    Rick

About to get a soaking

Boat covers on

Bruce Cockburn