Page 1458 of 1461 FirstFirst ... 458958135814081448145714581459 ... LastLast
Results 50,996 to 51,030 of 51102

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

The windows look nice, very much like mine.
    Anna-Sofia.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Timo_N62.9_E27.7 View Post
    What about them?
    I quite like them and they are very different to the conventional TS16 windows. I am curious as to what others think of them.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

The windows look nice, very much like mine.
    Anna-Sofia.jpg
    And I they look good.
    These are conventional ts16 windows.
    160562903_3979937532049028_51384782579716544_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Rain with squalls and hail down here……………… Dray building continues as I dodge the H&S fanatic at the island by doing the work here….. however I have two volunteers to help now, two mates with engineering and construction backgrounds. The makings of a team.
    At the Island we have a cannon on a traversing carriage, been there since about 1875, a chase gun. It needs a new gun carriage, and that is the next project.
    Thats a bit of a project. Recondition the bore as well I reckon!

Ive always wanted one of these:

Last edited by Hallam; 09-20-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Something like this with lead shot or solid ball as pre prepared options would be ideal. For ceremonial use a cardboard wad will suffice.......

Last edited by Hallam; 09-20-2021 at 09:36 PM.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Blowing its ring out here. I fibreglassed the second half of the centreboard case today and clamped the corners down in case a gust blew the glass off the ply.
    Back into lockdown for 5 days from tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    And I they look good.
    These are conventional ts16 windows.
    Go for it Gary. It's probably heresy, sacrilege, apostasy and blasphemy in Hartley fans' eyes, but I quite like the round portholes too. Actually a friend in Poona took the whole cabin off a Hartley 18 and it looks terrific.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Go for it Gary. It's probably heresy, sacrilege, apostasy and blasphemy in Hartley fans' eyes, but I quite like the round portholes too. Actually a friend in Poona took the whole cabin off a Hartley 18 and it looks terrific.

I'm thinking oval shaped, I have never really liked the square angular Hartley windows. If I was to really go for it I would rip the cabin off and rebuild it out to the gunnels. The side decks really are a waste of space...but I won't, at least not yet.

Oval shape gets my vote as well. My first yacht, an 18 ft picaroon keel boat had oval windows that set the small cabin off nicely

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I'm plannng on bringing the boat down Tom, but will keep an eye on the weather before final decision. I hope we make it.
    That’s great Probably won’t be the usual light wind regatta, and I am thinking I may organise a second Crew member.

I'm thinking oval shaped, I have never really liked the square angular Hartley windows. If I was to really go for it I would rip the cabin off and rebuild it out to the gunnels. The side decks really are a waste of space...but I won't, at least not yet.
    Here is some additional food for thought.My old Gunter rigged Hartley 14 undoubtedly the mightiest small boat I ever owned.

0D2B6621-8C5A-4E24-9451-891E1693227B.jpg

My windows are ellipse and I think it is even better than oval. If you make them yourself it doesn't matter which one you choose. I have only seen ovals available commercially.

I think the ones in the pic are ellipses as well, anyway way better than the square originals.

Just reading some of last year's boating nz magazines shuffled down the line to me. And what pops up but mention of a true bona-fide WBF hero but Ricks name.
    I know that guy , thinks I.
    I will bathe in the reflected glory of knowing someone famous enough to get his name in print.

Ah yes, mine own reflected glory! Neil gave the journo my details as the journo was doing a story about Noel Barrott. He wanted current pictures of Masina too but I didn"t have anything except phone shots and there wasn't time to get anything better. Either Neil or the journo sent me a copy of the magazine when it was published.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Ah , the hand of the Oracle deals his cards, who knows what unseen moves affect the lives we live.
    Johnny Mac is a buddy of mine too.

Just had an eathquake here in Vicco. We felt it shake the house for about 15 seconds. Reports are of a mag 6 about 90 k's north east of Lilydale. Some damage in Chapel St:

Bruce Cockburn

WOW! Hope everyone's OK. I seldom think of Oz as being a seizmic center!?!

My windows are ellipse and I think it is even better than oval. If you make them yourself it doesn't matter which one you choose. I have only seen ovals available commercially.

I think the ones in the pic are ellipses as well, anyway way better than the square originals.
    I shall compare them, I'll be cutting them out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    WOW! Hope everyone's OK. I seldom think of Oz as being a seizmic center!?!
    It isn't, really, but we get these tremors occasionally. In 1989 we had an earthquake in Newcastle which caused a lot of damage and killed about 9 people. The damage would have killed very many more but it was a holiday and there was a bus strike so the schools, university and other institutions that collapsed were empty, fortunately. It wasn't a big earthquake, only 5.5, but, because Newcastle is located on basically a big dish of sand, the quake caused waves through the sand that amplified the strength of the quake. A bit like an underground tsunami, I guess. It blew the side out of our terrace house but this was before we bought the house.

I don't think this latest event in Victoria has killed or seriously injured anyone, has it? I hope not. Actually a stronger quake than the Newcastle one.
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-22-2021 at 03:55 AM.
    Rick

Yes, lucky it was out near Mansfield. The Selwyn fault traverses from Cape Shank through Mt Elisa and into the hills near Belgrave. In the event of an Earthquake of this magnitude close to Melb there could be many fatalities

Bruce Cockburn

My youngest daughter is in Melbourne and she certainly felt it.

I once made opening ports for the front of the cabin of a ts16; wonderful at anchor in summer, essential even. These days on eBay opening portholes are really cheap - under $50 each (from China of course).

I'm not sure why you'd want to remove the side decks though; they're pretty handy for going forward. Clambering over the cabin would be less than ideal - though maybe you're a lot more nimble than me.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    I once made opening ports for the front of the cabin of a ts16; wonderful at anchor in summer, essential even. These days on eBay opening portholes are really cheap - under $50 each (from China of course).

I'm not sure why you'd want to remove the side decks though; they're pretty handy for going forward. Clambering over the cabin would be less than ideal - though maybe you're a lot more nimble than me.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
    Probably not. The side deck thing was something I would have done if I'd thought of it back when I was building Redwing.
    Lot of time in the shed today, mostly spent hunting out bits of timber for the next couple of house jobs...and to replace the top rails on the centreboard case. The latter was probably the most successful. I was going to cut them out of a length of bullnose architrave but that turned out to be 3 inches too short to get both.
    I had one real win, while moving stuff to get at a timber rack i found the new fancy kitchen tap that I'd put somewhere safe.

The other thing I did was clear all the stuff off my Triton router table (flat surfaces seem to attract stuff) , wiped the dust off and got it working again.

I've seen a Hartley 16 minus any cabin at all. I imagine that some extra framing would be needed?
    Quake rocked us for about 20 seconds, but looking at a bowl of water went on for another 20 or so. Took Covid of the front page for a day, as has the GF today.
    I was given an Iphone8, didn't like the look of it at the time but as a consequence of attempting to link it to my MacBook 15 and pick up all my contacts I am in a password bind. No Gmail, no email, problem is evidently because I need the original password when it was bought new. I need to dump the phone, cancell all passwords (They are only there because the technology insisted) and start again. (None of this was my idea BTW).
    The phone is just that at present, a portable phone with only text as another function.
    If I can get my contacts and gmail back I'll dump it in the bay at the first opportunity.

I've seen a Hartley 16 minus any cabin at all. I imagine that some extra framing would be needed?
    Quake rocked us for about 20 seconds, but looking at a bowl of water went on for another 20 or so. Took Covid of the front page for a day, as has the GF today.
    I was given an Iphone8, didn't like the look of it at the time but as a consequence of attempting to link it to my MacBook 15 and pick up all my contacts I am in a password bind. No Gmail, no email, problem is evidently because I need the original password when it was bought new. I need to dump the phone, cancell all passwords (They are only there because the technology insisted) and start again. (None of this was my idea BTW).
    The phone is just that at present, a portable phone with only text as another function.
    If I can get my contacts and gmail back I'll dump it in the bay at the first opportunity.
    You need to reset the iPhone back to factory settings.

I've been asked to help motor a 38 ft motor boat up from Sydney to Tweed. I'm thinking about it.

I've been asked to help motor a 38 ft motor boat up from Sydney to Tweed. I'm thinking about it.
    What's there to think?

Any opportunity to get on the water has to be taken

What's there to think?

Any opportunity to get on the water has to be taken
    I'm a bit reticent in that I'm not fully vaccinated and I'm not keen on going to plague infested Sydney.

We feel the same about Melbourne, not that we wish to go there.

October sees maintenance Sundays for the sailing club. Limited numbers means a roster. Interesting that. We have hopes for an almost normal season but half the town is holiday houses for Melbourne residents. Even more interesting.

I have hearing aids, I can hear everything.

I could do with some probably, but not yet. I can still hear the micro bats squeaking in the wall space.
    Maybe I'll make a cow horn speaking trumpet?

I could do with some probably, but not yet. I can still hear the micro bats squeaking in the wall space.
    Maybe I'll make a cow horn speaking trumpet?

Kez is impressed, she was testing how quietly she could talk without me saying, what?
    The big test will be a conversation in a crowd. I can hear the car keys in my pocket as I walk.

You might find you are rather overwhelmed in a crowd. I've worn hearing enhancing gear in the rainforest, quite amazing actually.

Kez is impressed, she was testing how quietly she could talk without me saying, what?
    The big test will be a conversation in a crowd. I can hear the car keys in my pocket as I walk.
    What are they and how much? Are they comfortable? I'm always interested in info about hearing aids. Especially ones that don't cost a fortune!
    Rick