Page 1454 of 1457 FirstFirst ... 454954135414041444145314541455 ... LastLast
Results 50,856 to 50,890 of 50979

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #50856
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Five Dock NSW Australia
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I think so. There's some soft wood, not very much at all. Bilge, freshwater got in, quite a bit as previous owner did attend to thd yacht much. All the scary pics are in the Misc. Thread, or I can post here?

  2. #50857
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Five Dock NSW Australia
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Edit, I think now is the time to move this journey to the repair thread

  3. #50858
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,803

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  4. #50859
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,379

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Great work Tom, you are certainly a diligent guardian for Peter's work.
    Thank you.
    Thanks guys.
    Not sure if diligent would be my choice of words, but now that Wee Barkie has been sold I am catching up on getting Jim into shape, including trialing a small jib fixed to a carbon fibre pole.

    She badly needed to be painted inside as Peter only managed to apply pimer.
    Regrettably Jim has lost her boat shed along with my work shop due to an unfortunate family situation.

  5. #50860
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    6,083

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose2021 View Post
    Ps that's not her sailing this year, old shot with racing owner. Hope for it to be my photo one day!
    can you get her out of the water?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  6. #50861
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote from a friend in Melbourne.


    The hardest thing to deal with in a 7 day lockdown is the first two weeks.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  7. #50862
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I had a feeling i was going to have to pull the centreboard case out of the boat, but what do you do when the bolts turn with the nut? I may have to cut them off i guess.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  8. #50863
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,803

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I had a feeling i was going to have to pull the centreboard case out of the boat, but what do you do when the bolts turn with the nut? I may have to cut them off i guess.
    Probably worth while replacing them all anyway, so cutting off is not too bad. I've had some luck with WD40 type products and also application of heat and a bit of a thump in the past.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  9. #50864
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Probably worth while replacing them all anyway, so cutting off is not too bad. I've had some luck with WD40 type products and also application of heat and a bit of a thump in the past.
    Heating them up is worth a try.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  10. #50865
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    6,083

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Gary, if you are pulling your CB - A guy on another thread; he was giving away forms for a giant Macinaw boat. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...light=mackinaw
    He had a beaut system for his centerboard pin (or lack there of) - its in his blog under Dark Matter August 2018; https://adrift314.wordpress.com/2018/08/20/dark-matter/

    Gary I sent you a PM - did you get it? Its not clear if it actually went or not.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  11. #50866
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Gary, if you are pulling your CB - A guy on another thread; he was giving away forms for a giant Macinaw boat. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...light=mackinaw
    He had a beaut system for his centerboard pin (or lack there of) - its in his blog under Dark Matter August 2018; https://adrift314.wordpress.com/2018/08/20/dark-matter/

    Gary I sent you a PM - did you get it? Its not clear if it actually went or not.
    Got it, the answer is yes please.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  12. #50867
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Covid denier has travelled extensively through the area with two teenagers. He did this while infected and is now in Lismore hospital. The two teenagers are nowhere to be found. Now Lismore, Byron and Ballina areas are in lockdown for 7 days.
    We are next I think.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  13. #50868
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Been offered an unused set of ts16 plans for $30 US plus postage. New price is apparently $45 US. I reckon i will buy them.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  14. #50869
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    All of regional NSW goes into lockdown from 5pm today till the 22nd.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  15. #50870
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,803

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Nice little potter about today...
    https://youtu.be/XLoy1k6M-NM
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  16. #50871
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    First jab of AZ this afternoon. Good so far, though 5G reception is still crap.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  17. #50872
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,704

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Nice little potter about today...
    https://youtu.be/XLoy1k6M-NM
    Nice video John! Although I think you should save our nerves by editing out the capsize about 1/3 in. Also, is it fair to expect the unpaid crew to adjust sheets as well as supplying snacks?

    Weather's like that here now too. A wonderful time of year! Thanks!
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  18. #50873
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,704

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    All of regional NSW goes into lockdown from 5pm today till the 22nd.
    It has its funny side. As when it happened last year, there's an intermittent stream of bicycles that haven't had a bum on their seat in 20 years and enthusiastic couples who haven't had their bums on bicycles for that period. The bitumen turns to gravel out the front of our place so there are a few surprises. No injuries that I know of, thankfully. The little hill up to our end of the road keeps the speed down (to about a knot)

    Now, where did I put that WD40 .....
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  19. #50874
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,803

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Although I think you should save our nerves by editing out the capsize about 1/3 in.
    I thought these new action cameras were a bit of a con, and don't make for more exciting videos any more than ordinary cameras do. But now I see that, if your video is looking pretty boring, they actually edit in a bit of action for you. Maybe put one on your bike once you've wd40d it!
    Last edited by johnno; 08-15-2021 at 04:17 AM.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  20. #50875
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,379

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I thought these new action cameras were a bit of a con, and don't make for more exciting videos any more than ordinary cameras do. But now I see that, if your video is looing pretty boring, they actually edit in a bit of action for you.
    Nice video thanks.
    What brand model of camera did you get?

  21. #50876
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'll put this here as well.
    All you need is a clue. One one of the headsails is the date 27/12/88 and the name B Keen. Bruce Keen measured the sail before an event and left me a clue.

    FYI Gary Pick. Neil has an old listing of boats. No.70 was originally called Tubby and sailed by Hendrik Olthof from Smiths Lake NSW. That is the information we have.
    I was planning to rename her Redwing ll, but my son suggested Tabitha. Any opinions on that?
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  22. #50877
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    67,137

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Mine was called something macho by the very keen racer past owner. I renamed her 'Sibbo'.

  23. #50878
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,803

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Nice video thanks.
    What brand model of camera did you get?
    DJI Osmo Action, on special at $300 atm. Seems to have good reviews, particularly its image stabilization.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  24. #50879
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Mine was called something macho by the very keen racer past owner. I renamed her 'Sibbo'.

    Sibbo is good. I had a long chat with Duncan today, we're still planning on a scotch and rum tasting session at some stage.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  25. #50880
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,704

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I'll put this here as well.
    All you need is a clue. One one of the headsails is the date 27/12/88 and the name B Keen. Bruce Keen measured the sail before an event and left me a clue.

    FYI Gary Pick. Neil has an old listing of boats. No.70 was originally called Tubby and sailed by Hendrik Olthof from Smiths Lake NSW. That is the information we have.
    I was planning to rename her Redwing ll, but my son suggested Tabitha. Any opinions on that?
    Wouldn't it have to be a cat to be called Tabitha?
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  26. #50881
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Wouldn't it have to be a cat to be called Tabitha?
    There is that.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  27. #50882
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,803

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Wouldn't it have to be a cat to be called Tabitha?
    Hartley.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  28. #50883
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    Hartley.
    I can see the merit in that.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  29. #50884
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,379

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    DJI Osmo Action, on special at $300 atm. Seems to have good reviews, particularly its image stabilization.
    Thanks John.

  30. #50885
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,803

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I can see the merit in that.
    Was a little joke for Rick..
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

  31. #50886
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,704

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    As in 'appropriate'. But since we're talking about cross-eyed bears, how about Gladly?
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  32. #50887
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,704

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Or keep it contemporary and just call it Glad .....
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  33. #50888
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I think I shall stick with Redwing ll.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  34. #50889
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,704

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    That sounds like a very good idea.
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  35. #50890
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,903

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Nipped into town yesterday and bought a new sawblade for the table saw (it cuts straight again ) and a few other things that will keep me home and happy. Lockdown has been extended another week and as for crossing the border into QLD....not happening.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...ules/100378726
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •