Page 1450 of 1477 FirstFirst ... 4509501350140014401449145014511460 ... LastLast
Results 50,716 to 50,750 of 51662

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

We want photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    We want photos

Didn't take any on the way down, but we drove through vast swaths of burnt forest.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Didn't take any on the way down, but we drove through vast swaths of burnt forest.

I bought a second hand electric stove and I'm baking sandwich loaves on the verandah. Post boat photos.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

received_316087686868922.jpg
    Not much change out of a 50....but very nice. The beer is local and goes by the name of Granddad Brown.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

I bought a second hand electric stove and I'm baking sandwich loaves on the verandah. Post boat photos.

Are you going into competition with Phil?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Frosty morning in Armidale.

Boat looks good! Is that Jay?
    Rick

Good stuff - agree, boat looks good.
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Are you going into competition with Phil?

I can make four to Phil's four hundred, so I think Phil wins

The TS looks very good mate.

It is, nice bloke. It would have been nice to have had a bit of an EBS, but we all had to hit the road.
    Back home...well actually we've stopped at the pub for a pizza.

The hull appears to be very sound. I did find some rot in the transom ply but that is easy fixed. Portside cockpit seat is dodgy and I reckon I will replace the cabin. Mast and sails but no boom, but there is no gooseneck anyway. Jay sailed it a couple of times with the main loose footed.
    Anyway tomorrow it gets put in the shed till Kez is happy with the kitchen reno...but I'll have a good look inside first

The hull appears to be very sound. I did find some rot in the transom ply but that is easy fixed. Portside cockpit seat is dodgy and I reckon I will replace the cabin. Mast and sails but no boom, but there is no gooseneck anyway. Jay sailed it a couple of times with the main loose footed.
    Anyway tomorrow it gets put in the shed till Kez is happy with the kitchen reno...but I'll have a good look inside first
    Re the gooseneck, I was thinking maybe it slides into the sailtrack?

Sharp dressed man.

I can make four to Phil's four hundred, so I think Phil wins

Ah, Phil Schmill! We've seen NO evidence of Phil's product! Yours look fantastic! I have plans to make Polish rye but ... I have lots of plans ...
    Rick

Gary, as you know, rot travels quickly in plywood. I suggest cutting out that whole section to be sure, then get on with the kitchen. It should take about 10 minutes, allowing 5 minutes to find the jigsaw.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Sharp dressed man.
    Yezz
    Rick

Gary, as you know, rot travels quickly in plywood. I suggest cutting out that whole section to be sure, then get on with the kitchen. It should take about 10 minutes, allowing 5 minutes to find the jigsaw.
    It will have to wait until at least next week, but I take your point.
    I lifted all the floor panels today and apart from a lot of rodent excrement and an amazing number of potter wasp nests...sans wasps, the boat looks good.
    Getting the boat into the shed was fun. It wouldn't quite fit with the dinghy in there as well...so I had to move the dinghy.
    Before I could move the dinghy I had to move a trestle table but before I could move the trestle table I had to move everything that was on it.
    I'm sure you get the picture.
    Photos to follow.

Ah, Phil Schmill! We've seen NO evidence of Phil's product! Yours look fantastic! I have plans to make Polish rye but ... I have lots of plans ...

I've eaten Phil's bread and I'd love to say mine are good, but in comparison Phil's bread is miles in front. I hope he's reading some of this. Maybe he'll be tempted to come back and put the record straight.

Boat news. Balia is looking good. The new deck job is a great success. Of course the domino effect has kicked in and there are heaps more jobs in the queue. The infinite list of jobs syndrome really is true.

At some stage we all have to decide where we are on the project-process continuum, and if we aren't 100% project oriented the dock lines/mooring lines must be untied. I've come to realise that Romana was a build project, and the dreams of sailing her were simply use-case scenarios that helped define her unique requirements. She met the requirements as demonstrated in her harbour trials and sea trials. It was never about the travels, sadly.

I'm now left with an unrequited ambition to sail East from Adelaide. Somehow all but one of my longer voyages have been uphill, and the only downhill trip nearly ended disastrously due to inattention to conditions. I'd like to see if I'd enjoy the downhill trip in a strategic role on a sound vessel. Sigh.

See if you can talk Phil into a trip! Surely he's made enough dough by now to have some time off ...
    Rick

Looks pretty dusty hope you checked the stem ,stern and around the centre case for rot and the CB area for leaks many Hartley’s have problems in around the CB.area.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Looks pretty dusty hope you checked the stem ,stern and around the centre case for rot and the CB area for leaks many Hartley’s have problems in around the CB.area.
    Stem is fine, the transom has a section of rot in the ply. The centreboard case did have a leak and I'm not sure if it still does. I plan to unbolt it and pull it out anyway. All the framing I have checked so far is sound.

Managed an hour or so on the boat yesterday. Armed with the vacuum cleaner, paint scraper and dustpan brush I removed most of the rodent excrement and dirt from the cabin section. No obvious rot or damage but the bilge sections still need a good scrub. Also, armed with a plan view of the boat I measured up the space between the aft end of the bunk frames and the companionway bulkhead. I want to fit a compact galley on the portside and a porta loo to starboard.

Finally got a day warm enough to 2 pot the dingy deck, and gave my array of single and double paddles a coat as well.

Managed an hour or so on the boat yesterday. Armed with the vacuum cleaner, paint scraper and dustpan brush I removed most of the rodent excrement and dirt from the cabin section. No obvious rot or damage but the bilge sections still need a good scrub. Also, armed with a plan view of the boat I measured up the space between the aft end of the bunk frames and the companionway bulkhead. I want to fit a compact galley on the portside and a porta loo to starboard.
    We found it easier when cooking on the Compass 23 to just use the cockpit . Plenty of elbow room and fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    We found it easier when cooking on the Compass 23 to just use the cockpit . Plenty of elbow room and fresh air.
    I will have that as an option. The companionway is quite wide, even with the mods I am planning. I am open to ideas and being early days I have the time to plan this.
    Last edited by WX; 06-14-2021 at 03:47 AM.

Gary, remember that the TS 16 was built to be as light as possible and built for racing. Before you rip out any bracing etc., be careful because supports for bunks etc. can have a dual purpose. You must avoid anything that could loosen the structural integrity because that could cause seams to work or even open and you could get moisture into those seams. You've seen what can happen then. If I were you, I'd sail the boat for a couple of years before modifying anything.
    Rick

Gary, remember that the TS 16 was built to be as light as possible and built for racing. Before you rip out any bracing etc., be careful because supports for bunks etc. can have a dual purpose. You must avoid anything that could loosen the structural integrity because that could cause seams to work or even open and you could get moisture into those seams. You've seen what can happen then. If I were you, I'd sail the boat for a couple of years before modifying anything.
    I'm familiar with Hartley construction and I won't be doing anything like that. I will be removing the centerboard case but only to reseat it and remove the strip of timber Jay glued in to close it off.
    And I will probably rebuild the cabin. It's had a few repairs and I really don't like the window profiles.
    Last edited by WX; 06-14-2021 at 07:17 PM.

well a fairly simple job of moving the door just got a bit complicated. The termites took out the top plate before I wiped them out.

20210615_144057.jpg

As a reult of the storm our comms are somewhat delicate. Mobile phones on and off due to tower damage, and internet is patchy and buffering. Our situation is fine compared to other parts.
    Our underground landline however is doing sterling service!

Mt Dandenong and north is devastated, 95 houses demolished, one had 11 trees fall on it, and nearly 200 damaged. The roads on the mountain are closed because trees are still falling, and more bad weather is forecast on Thursday. Power off for a week now, and mobile coverage gradually being restored. North to Macedon and Trentham/Blackwood also have the same problems.
    Volunteers are not happy about their senior management's, and their local member's absence.
    He is acting Premier and managing a slowly spreading Covid outbreak. People are not staying home after being tested.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    As a reult of the storm our comms are somewhat delicate. Mobile phones on and off due to tower damage, and internet is patchy and buffering. Our situation is fine compared to other parts.
    Our underground landline however is doing sterling service!

Mt Dandenong and north is devastated, 95 houses demolished, one had 11 trees fall on it, and nearly 200 damaged. The roads on the mountain are closed because trees are still falling, and more bad weather is forecast on Thursday. Power off for a week now, and mobile coverage gradually being restored. North to Macedon and Trentham/Blackwood also have the same problems.
    Volunteers are not happy about their senior management's, and their local member's absence.
    He is acting Premier and managing a slowly spreading Covid outbreak. People are not staying home after being tested.
    Puts my little termite problem into perspective a bit.

My son Donovan helped me lift the centreboard out of the boat yesterday, which means I can clean the cockpit area now. Also found a section of rot in the port quarter topside.
    Might be time to start a separate thread in building/repair.
    On the home front replacing the top plate in the kitchen wall is progressing quite well.