Page 1441 of 1447 FirstFirst ... 441941134113911431144014411442 ... LastLast
Results 50,401 to 50,435 of 50624

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    TVSC? I was up there to pick up some Corsair sails the other week. Nice bunch. They come to regattas with ukeleles, guitars and wine.
    That's the one, your last sentence seems even more incentive to do so. I've sailed Redwing in 3 of their Fingal Passage Events.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

So what do they sail Gary, and do they have a few club boats? An offer to 'do up' a dinghy might find you more or less owning it without storage fees.

Corsairs, lasers, NS14s, Pacers....quite a range of boats Jeff. There a couple of interesting wooden boats that I will probably be matched against with the Ts16.
    https://halsail.com/Result/Public/49533.
    I am modifying the Bolger Cartopper at the moment but I don't know how it would go in a race.
    fore&aft1.jpg

Looks 'tender Gary.

Good day's sailing, light air and a reasonable tide on a long course we cannot sail often because of sandbanks at low tides. Lots of windward work. Didn't finish last or was last off water.
    That's a Change!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Looks 'tender Gary.

Good day's sailing, light air and a reasonable tide on a long course we cannot sail often because of sandbanks at low tides. Lots of windward work. Didn't finish last or was last off water.
    That's a Change!
    Tender? Well in a breeze you do need to stay in the moment. Gybing is interesting and inattention will get you wet. Hence the added flotation. I will also be strapping two 20 litre storage containers either side of the centerboard case. I'm also planning to fit an electric bilgepump.
    I went to a local joinery today to see if I could scrounge some fine sawdust (wood flour) but the answer was no. It's full of MDF and carcinogenic formica. I'm going to give plain flour a go.

I think I used sawdust, saved from my own workings.
    Come the end of the season I've got a leaky seam to fix myself.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

MDF is only dangerous when the dust is hot. The formaldehyde evaporates and breathing it is dangerous. Otherwise its fine.
    You also need to breath a lot of it - over a long time (years).

Electric pump? somewhat hi-fi no?
    One of those little lo-fi self bailers, the hole in the bottom with a scoop facing backwards - they work remarkably well. Bit of an expense, but maybe its replicable in thin ply and some glass?
    You sure about a battery and a pump in a boat thats flipped right over.....? I suppose if your tanks are water tight.

selfbailer.jpg
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    MDF is only dangerous when the dust is hot. The formaldehyde evaporates and breathing it is dangerous. Otherwise its fine.
    You also need to breath a lot of it - over a long time (years).

Electric pump? somewhat hi-fi no?
    One of those little lo-fi self bailers, the hole in the bottom with a scoop facing backwards - they work remarkably well. Bit of an expense, but maybe its replicable in thin ply and some glass?
    You sure about a battery and a pump in a boat thats flipped right over.....? I suppose if your tanks are water tight.

selfbailer.jpg
    I put one of those in another Cartopper and it failed badly...just not enough hull speed to make it work.
    The electric bilge pump is just an automatic bailer and it may not be required, and I figure a small Lithium ion battery tucked up in the bow.. I will do a capsize test in shallow water to test the built-in buoyancy.

I was chatting to a nice older gentleman at a slipway on the weekend. He has a lovely 1947-ish 37 footer with (if I recall correctly) English oak frames, sitka spruce spars and pitch pine planking (????) that needs a new owner. A long keel carvel sloop with varnished coachroof, she's not in concourse condition but not run down either. She has just been slipped and seems to have had another coat of topside paint. She's a classic cruiser/racer from a top designer of the time, was the winner of a design contest and the inspiration for a small class in NZ, had a world-girdling history and was the predecessor of some of Australia's top offshore cruiser/racers of the late '50s/early '60s. I'm not sure how much he wants for her but he's mainly looking for someone to care for her and doesn't want to deal with the tirekickers he will get if she goes on Gumtree.

If anyone knows of someone who is looking for something that looks like it could sail the coast tomorrow and also deserves a good future, drop me a PM.

Also, can Rick still get PMs? I can't believe he's been banned.

Shamus in Tasmania has one of those very boats a SH winner iirc., haven't seen him here for a while. Makes me think of Siandra too, what ever happened to those guys. Nikki used to write for classic boat and Jamie is a boatbuilder.

I agree about Rick. No idea what happened, guesses only.

My Venturi lets water in, it's gotten bent long before I had the boat. Sibbo is home at the end of the season for maintenance, maybe I'll put a new one in.

It was quite funny when I fitted one. I built a Cartopper for a mate and he was grumbling about bailing water out after taking some over the gunwale. I'd read about the venturi self bailers and suggested fitting one .well we took it out to test it and it nearly sunk us.
    He was less than impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I was chatting to a nice older gentleman at a slipway on the weekend. He has a lovely 1947-ish 37 footer with (if I recall correctly) English oak frames, sitka spruce spars and pitch pine planking (????) that needs a new owner. A long keel carvel sloop with varnished coachroof, she's not in concourse condition but not run down either. She has just been slipped and seems to have had another coat of topside paint. She's a classic cruiser/racer from a top designer of the time, was the winner of a design contest and the inspiration for a small class in NZ, had a world-girdling history and was the predecessor of some of Australia's top offshore cruiser/racers of the late '50s/early '60s. I'm not sure how much he wants for her but he's mainly looking for someone to care for her and doesn't want to deal with the tirekickers he will get if she goes on Gumtree.

If anyone knows of someone who is looking for something that looks like it could sail the coast tomorrow and also deserves a good future, drop me a PM.

Also, can Rick still get PMs? I can't believe he's been banned.
    I have been in the market for just this sort of boat for one of my boys but have just purchased a lovely NZ double diagonal Kauri yacht built in the 1930's that needs a the cabin replaced and some deck work. Apart from that its in very good condition. It will be a big job for him to take on but will be a great project. She came to Australia for the 1968 Sydney to Hobart and stayed in Sydney's Yowie Bay.
    Its an Alden of 32 ft ,the hull has been inspected and dynal sheathed with epoxy. The deck in double diagonal as well but has a veneer of teak decking that needs to be removed and the deck most probably will be given the dynal and epoxy treatment. It has a new motor and good rigging and sails.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

What's it's name Hallam, is it a Tercel boat by chance?
    Roxanne. Roiaata?
    Last edited by John B; 03-02-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Roiaata is the one! We are quite excited to become the custodians of such a fine yacht!

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

While I said it was an Alden design, it was based on Alden but with a few modifications chosen by Tercels.

Last edited by Hallam; 03-02-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

Nice!

Dragged some bits of timber out of a stack the termites have found.
    Doesn't look much.
    White Beech1.jpg
    White Beech with very nice fiddleback grain.
    White Beech2.jpg
    I'm thinking of using it in the cabin rebuild on the TS16.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Roiaata is the one! We are quite excited to become the custodians of such a fine yacht!
    Not a bad guesstimate eh.
    That boat did a 360 roll on the way to the islands in the 60s. A friend was the owner/skipper at the time. He'll be chuffed to hear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Not a bad guesstimate eh.
    That boat did a 360 roll on the way to the islands in the 60s. A friend was the owner/skipper at the time. He'll be chuffed to hear of it.
    A very good and i assume educated guess. Its great to have contact with someone who has a NZ connection to Roiaata!
    That would be the voyage Neil Gillard, Brian O'donnell and Alan Bell took. My son and I bought Roiaata from Michael Kirby in Sydney and he has given us extensive notes, pictures and papers on her history. Michael has had Roiaata since 1982.
    Is it Neil Gillard who you know? We have read about the Pacific adventure and the storm where they survived 2 roll overs without extensive damage. Must have been a nasty bit of sea!! Say hi from us. It would be good to keep him informed of our progress.

Bruce Cockburn

Yep, Neil is a friend of mine , I last saw him in early january. His father Harry had Waione when Neil was a small child so he was a Waione kid just like all of mine. Pm some contact details and I'll put you or your son in touch.
    Yes it was an educated guess. NZ ,kauri,Size, 30s, Alden, not in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Yep, Neil is a friend of mine , I last saw him in early january. His father Harry had Waione when Neil was a small child so he was a Waione kid just like all of mine. Pm some contact details and I'll put you or your son in touch.
    Yes it was an educated guess. NZ ,kauri,Size, 30s, Alden, not in NZ.

PM sent

Bruce Cockburn

A nice ph call from Neil this am, he's very happy to hear the news and will contact you.

Thanks John. Got an email from Neil so filled him on recent aspects of Roiaata's and our plans.

Bruce Cockburn

Small world eh. I presume you've got Sandra Gorter's book on Ranger? There's a page and a bit of data in there on Roiaata.
    20210306_081625.jpg
    I had the sea spray magazines on the roll over trip too but they've gone missing, probably because I had them out and they've been re filed wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No but there are photo copy’s of those pics in the book among the papers. I will get a copy if I can hunt one out on the net

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Arawana is back on the market due to covid interfering with a family's circumstances. Sad to see it sitting there not getting the love it deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arawana is no longer on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Have you got the Sea Spray magazine photo of the Roiaata crew about to depart Auckland for the Pacific.
    IIRC it shows Roiaata's doghouse with brass rods protecting the windows.

I know the doghouse was added sometime after the build. I can’t recall seeing the Sea Spray pics.

Bruce Cockburn

I seem to recall that Kay Cottee's dad had Roiaata for a while, but that may be an error. Cool to see your kids have got her and will keep her going, Hallam!

If anyone else knows of anyone looking for a nice classic, I've since been sent full details of her recent splining, etc. I'm following up other leads.

We had another drifter at the sailing club today. Eleven craft (ie 10 boats and a windsurfer) which isn't bad for an inland puddle in an area that has 27,000 people in the area of a small US state. I put the good second-hand sails on one of the club Corsairs and took some beginners out. One of them steered the last two legs for a win on yardstick but one of the teenagers took the handicap win and a stalwart on a Laser was first across the line and second on yardstick. We had three or four times the number of people out compared to the season before last, and far more than last year which was a wipeout due to drought, fires and toxic algae.

My crew today were the parents of one of our star kids. They told me how before he came to our club, he took a plastic kid's surfski into the farm shed, found some cloth, pulleys and a stick, and made it into a boat he could sail (downwind) on their farm dam. He and his mate he sails a club Laser with had their centreboard a loooong way upwind downwind (higher than is actually fastest) because there's some reference to that in a TV/net series about Vikings. They had a close race with a kid who got his family into sailing when he read Swallows and Amazons. We're planning some cruising/picnic events to keep that sort of feeling alive.

The club can now give the kid who revved up the surf ski a baby Laser to take back to the dam, thanks to the generosity of other people.

Roiaata, the Sea Spray -August 1968 picture

Roiaata Sea Spray Aug 1968.jpg

Fantastic gentlemen, thanks so much for posting these gems of Roiaata's history. Timelines are often underestimated when it comes to working on boats but hopefully she will be ready for the next chapter in 12 months time.

Bruce Cockburn

Sunday racing was qieter than usual with the club's gun's away at various championships. I had voluntered to be OD again, ran 3 races in different conditions. Patchy northerly in the morning, brisk SE at 1.00 and allowing that I hadn't changed the course or added laps, annother race with a longer course and a falling Westerly in the afternoon.
    Controversy when I gave them a downwind start, "It's just not done you know"

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Sunday racing was qieter than usual with the club's gun's away at various championships. I had voluntered to be OD again, ran 3 races in different conditions. Patchy northerly in the morning, brisk SE at 1.00 and allowing that I hadn't changed the course or added laps, annother race with a longer course and a falling Westerly in the afternoon.
    Controversy when I gave them a downwind start, "It's just not done you know"
    What's the name of your club Jeff? I'm chatting with a dinghy sailor from down that way.

My cheap Chinese table saw I bought back around 2010 is starting to make worn bearing noises. So I'm thinking I will replace it with another cheap table saw, Bunnings have an Ozito for $200 that looks a bit better quality than the one I have.