Page 1439 of 1457 FirstFirst ... 4399391339138914291438143914401449 ... LastLast
Results 50,331 to 50,365 of 50983

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

be modest, and be proud of it.

Just remember, TS16s are a lighweight design built for racing. They're not designed to have an outboard hanging off the transom and not designed for an unstayed rig. TS16s always need the transom reinforced with bracing if they carry an outboard or the transom will separate at its edges. With a cabin designed for extreme camping, setting a big mast in that small area will further compromise that small space. You also need to look at stability. TS16s will flip. Dad flipped his and replaced the board with a heavier one. You really need to make sure you don't decrease stability or you finish up with a more dangerous boat.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Just remember, TS16s are a lighweight design built for racing. They're not designed to have an outboard hanging off the transom and not designed for an unstayed rig. TS16s always need the transom reinforced with bracing if they carry an outboard or the transom will separate at its edges. With a cabin designed for extreme camping, setting a big mast in that small area will further compromise that small space. You also need to look at stability. TS16s will flip. Dad flipped his and replaced the board with a heavier one. You really need to make sure you don't decrease stability or you finish up with a more dangerous boat.
    Mast will be a length of 80mm x 3mm alloy tube weighing at most about 12kg. Sail will be 2oz ripstop nylon and battens either bamboo or something like 25mm diameter alloy tube. Bruce's mate Steve sailed his JR 16 in 20knts plus. Keep in mind that with a JR reefing brings the sail area lower. Outboard is going to be 4-5hp.
    If it doesn't work I'll still have the BM rig.

Readingbetween the lines 5 days is not enough. Depends if the find more cases today.
    Andrews is quite impressive dealing with the dodgier ends of the gutter press. Sticks to facts, has a memory for detail and what he said and when, sticks to his guns and does not appear to be wearing wire. And follows "The buck stops here" to an extent remarkable in a politician. I think the ALP's factional wars have stood him in good stead!

[QUOTE=WX;6390835]Mast will be a length of 80mm x 3mm alloy tube weighing at most about 12kg. Sail will be 2oz ripstop nylon and battens either bamboo or something like 25mm diameter alloy tube. Bruce's mate Steve sailed his JR 16 in 20knts plus. Keep in mind that with a JR reefing brings the sail area lower. Outboard is going to be 4-5hp.
    If it doesn't work I'll still have the BM rig. [/QUOTE

I ran a Mercury 2.3 on my Gunter rugged Hartley 14 which was more than enough power even when the boys where young .We also used to regularly carry an additional 250 -300 kg in food water and camping gear.
    I fondly remember the 14 as one of my outstanding boats very forgiving stable and fast.

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;6390990]
    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Mast will be a length of 80mm x 3mm alloy tube weighing at most about 12kg. Sail will be 2oz ripstop nylon and battens either bamboo or something like 25mm diameter alloy tube. Bruce's mate Steve sailed his JR 16 in 20knts plus. Keep in mind that with a JR reefing brings the sail area lower. Outboard is going to be 4-5hp.
    If it doesn't work I'll still have the BM rig. [/QUOTE

I ran a Mercury 2.3 on my Gunter rugged Hartley 14 which was more than enough power even when the boys where young .We also used to regularly carry an additional 250 -300 kg in food water and camping gear.
    I fondly remember the 14 as one of my outstanding boats very forgiving stable and fast.
    Reading Hartley TS16 sites the recommended HP is 4 to 5. If say I decided to get really adventurous and sail from Tweed to GC Seaway I want a bit of power behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The risk to the transom is not the power of the outboard, it's the weight. The risk is greatest when the boat is being towed on its trailer. So keep the weight down, if possible and beef up the connection of the transom to the boat if necessary. I'm only mentioning this because I've seen two TS16s with this problem. We didn't have the problem with our TS16 - it didn't have a motor.
    From what I have read it emphasizes unshipping the outboard while towing...probably for that reason. It's a lot of leverage.

Sort of wishing I had explored trailerable boats more. This is really nice on the eye.
    mist_launched_2006.jpg

Well it's bucketing down here...and I broke my pop riveter.

If it doesn't work I'll still have the BM rig.

Sea trials in that boat were in very lumpy seas in winds measured at the Coast Guard station where we launched, at 28 knots, and confirmed by Bureau logs to be at that level.

I have to admit I was of the mind that the boat and rig needed to be tested at the extreme end of 'should we be out here' given that Steve had not had a huge amount of sailing experience. Not that I ever won a gold medal for my own abilities. I wouldn't recommend that anyone other than experienced TS16 racing crews with rescue craft at hand should sail one in those conditions.

We were approached by Coast Guard and briefed by them prior to launching. We sailed upwind from the marina, wore life jackets and stayed within a shortish drift back to the lee shore had we lost the boat. Coast Guard launched and did a close obbo loop around us mid trials.

I'm as confident as I can reasonably be that if your mods are at least as good as Steve's, your applied chicken factor is at least as high as mine, your boat is sound and you sail in somewhat sound mind you will not be in any more peril than the rest of the world's TS16s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Sea trials in that boat were in very lumpy seas in winds measured at the Coast Guard station where we launched, at 28 knots, and confirmed by Bureau logs to be at that level.

I have to admit I was of the mind that the boat and rig needed to be tested at the extreme end of 'should we be out here' given that Steve had not had a huge amount of sailing experience. Not that I ever won a gold medal for my own abilities. I wouldn't recommend that anyone other than experienced TS16 racing crews with rescue craft at hand should sail one in those conditions.

We were approached by Coast Guard and briefed by them prior to launching. We sailed upwind from the marina, wore life jackets and stayed within a shortish drift back to the lee shore had we lost the boat. Coast Guard launched and did a close obbo loop around us mid trials.

I'm as confident as I can reasonably be that if your mods are at least as good as Steve's, your applied chicken factor is at least as high as mine, your boat is sound and you sail in somewhat sound mind you will not be in any more peril than the rest of the world's TS16s.

Anything I do is going to be sub 20knts most likely.
    My rig looks like it's going to be fairly cutting edge JR wise. An extremely good JR sail maker is going to crunch all the numbers for me and provide technical support to help me build the latest in cambered panel design.

BTW, I shall take that as a vote of confidence.

We were going to go for a few days sailing on the river next week, but motor sailing to windward in drizzly rain just has no appeal for some reason.

Went for a sail this evening on my mates clinker dingy from Blairgowrie to Sorrento. On the way we spotted a few friends on their mooring and joined them for a beer. A perfect way to spend an evening. Here's a few pics of the boat when we put up the new sail in his front yard a few months ago.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Very Mathew Flinders "Tom Thumb".

We were actually talking about TomThumb as we were sailing.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

BTW, I shall take that as a vote of confidence.

As intended.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

As intended.

Steve has sent me a bunch of photos of how he set up the mast and some of the rig.
    The first sail he made out of blue poly tarp.
    20161014_185855.jpg
    Don't know why that went sideways.
    And the second out of better quality tarp.

Hartley Junk.jpg

That looks quite neat

Torn a muscle in my side, some weeks ago but I've been ignoring it as I shall mostly continue to do but it has gotten me out of some heavy work with timber. We intend to 'get a man in' to cut and stack. A man with his own insurance…….

But with luck I can sail on Sunday, but use the clubs RV to shift it about.

Good looking dinghy Hallam, I haven't sailed there since the late 80's on my Sailfish.

The dingy belongs to Wayne Parr who’s the yard manager at the Wooden boat shop. I’ve just st bought a dingy so I can get better at sailing. Not quite as wooden as Wayne’s, It’s a fibreglass Cadet

Bruce Cockburn

A lot of clubs say they are having trouble with recruiting kids. So is ours..... there'll be about 10-15 grommets down there again this weekend. It's a plague. :-) They are now outnumbering the adults. We were going to run another sailing school this season but instead we're going to have to start playing Barry Manilow or something to drive them away.

The worst part of it is that country kids tend to be great at helping out - for example, many of them are used to driving cars and tractors on their properties so they can tow boats around the club with their parent's cars despite not having licenses, and they automatically do things like lifting boats on and off trailers instead of just waiting for others to do it for them. And they are dead keen and worst of all, the little bastards are picking up sailing really well from watching Youtube videos. So you can't even dislike them or say that they can't sail.

After a few years sailing in clubs made of of declining numbers of grumpy old men, I just can't take a club full of young, cheerful, keen kids these days. :-)

In contrast, I've spent the last few days trying to plan the new club amenities. I'm learning more about sewerage than I really wanted to know. I think the local pump-out guy was either the prototype of Kenny, or a major fan. The local council has told us that although our clubhouse location was approved with the proposed raising of the dam wall in mind, they have now changed their ideas and the clubhouse must go. This could be interesting.

I also now have a new definition of "country sailing club". In the past, it meant that your club had some members arrested, at the marina, for cattle duffing. I should mention that they were acquitted, and it was another club. Our current club, instead, has a different form of cow trouble. A while ago they got into the boat yard and almost squashed two of the world's top A Class catamarans. Last week I had to stop on the way in because a cow was having a calf on the road. This was not a problem at Royal Sydney, or so I'm told.
    Last edited by Chris249; 02-19-2021 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    A lot of clubs say they are having trouble with recruiting kids. So is ours..... there'll be about 10-15 grommets down there again this weekend. It's a plague. :-) They are now outnumbering the adults. We were going to run another sailing school this season but instead we're going to have to start playing Barry Manilow or something to drive them away.

The worst part of it is that country kids tend to be great at helping out - for example, many of them are used to driving cars and tractors on their properties so they can tow boats around the club with their parent's cars despite not having licenses, and they automatically do things like lifting boats on and off trailers instead of just waiting for others to do it for them. And they are dead keen and worst of all, the little bastards are picking up sailing really well from watching Youtube videos. So you can't even dislike them or say that they can't sail.

After a few years sailing in clubs made of of declining numbers of grumpy old men, I just can't take a club full of young, cheerful, keen kids these days. :-)

In contrast, I've spent the last few days trying to plan the new club amenities. I'm learning more about sewerage than I really wanted to know. I think the local pump-out guy was either the prototype of Kenny, or a major fan. The local council has told us that although our clubhouse location was approved with the proposed raising of the dam wall in mind, they have now changed their ideas and the clubhouse must go. This could be interesting.

I also now have a new definition of "country sailing club". In the past, it meant that your club had some members arrested, at the marina, for cattle duffing. I should mention that they were acquitted, and it was another club. Our current club, instead, has a different form of cow trouble. A while ago they got into the boat yard and almost squashed two of the world's top A Class catamarans. Last week I had to stop on the way in because a cow was having a calf on the road. This was not a problem at Royal Sydney, or so I'm told.
    Good yarn mate. Shame about the clubhouse though.

Sounds like you need to get a gaggle of those keen, strong farm kids, screw some long boards onto the clubhouse for handles and have 'em pick it up and move it I envy you! We're seeing the sailing disappear bit-by-bit here.

Decided last minute to motor over to Port Arlington to pick up my new Cadet dingy and tow it home. Slept overnight at Queenscliff, got up at 4 am and filled up with diesel. Had the tide for a quick trip and having breakfast at Port Arlington at 7.45

Last edited by Hallam; 02-19-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Sounds like you need to get a gaggle of those keen, strong farm kids, screw some long boards onto the clubhouse for handles and have 'em pick it up and move it I envy you! We're seeing the sailing disappear bit-by-bit here.
    Conjures up the image from The Shipping News.

On the return journey

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    On the return journey
    Looks like it was a top day.

Chris 249:
    "The worst part of it is that country kids tend to be great at helping out - for example, many of them are used to driving cars and tractors on their properties so they can tow boats around the club with their parent's cars despite not having licenses, and they automatically do things like lifting boats on and off trailers instead of just waiting for others to do it for them. And they are dead keen and worst of all, the little bastards are picking up sailing really well from watching Youtube videos. So you can't even dislike them or say that they can't sail.

After a few years sailing in clubs made of of declining numbers of grumpy old men, I just can't take a club full of young, cheerful, keen kids these days. :-)"

Same with us at Inverloch. The availability of instruction for ages from round 6 to adults of any age and a range of club boats good enough for the job has attracted families who have moved into the area due to the liberalisation of working from home. Covid driven decentralisation would you believe. With the families came kids of all ages and the teenage social scene has fired up as it was when I was a junior at Black Rock and then Blairgowrie.
    Land in our small coastal villiage is being snapped up and there isn't a house in the area for sale, not even in the new estates being developed. Most previous rentals are now owner occupied.
    After some years of inaction re our club land due to the road authority building one in the wrong place……….. we now have a long term lease at a peppercorn rent. (As long as the advancing estuary doesn't swallow us up of course…….. The past 500 year coastline is 4km inland from the present one, which has been eroding fast!)
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-19-2021 at 11:24 PM.

Arawana is back on the market due to covid interfering with a family's circumstances. Sad to see it sitting there not getting the love it deserves.

Well looks like a junk rig may not work on the Cartopper as the mast needs to come back 10", which puts it on top of the centreboard case. I might do a simple very low cost rig anyway and try it in the present mast position.
    Hanging out for some dry days here.

They are all dry down here Gary, humid and hot but dry.

Have you considered angling the mast backwards to move the CoE back?

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    Have you considered angling the mast backwards to move the CoE back?
    Not really, aft rake can be a problem when running in light airs. I might be able to reduce the distance by altering the aspect ratio of the sail but I may have to consult some the gurus.

Have you considered adding a small mizzen? :-)