Page 1436 of 1441 FirstFirst ... 436936133613861426143514361437 ... LastLast
Results 50,226 to 50,260 of 50425

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Something sits on our spreaders every now and then and drops bits of squid on the deck. Not often enough to be a problem but it's intriguing.

It took longer to put the dinghy in the water than it did to fix the outboard. <br>I have gears back and I ran it for a bit. So all good, though the patch of rot in the topside plank starboard bow is about 1 foot by 1 foot and quite soft.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    Should be able to find a ts16 under $1000, I got one for $750 with some localised rot you could have patched in a few days. Try Facebook marketplace and gumtree, and set up some alert emails for listings
    I've been doing that but I didn't think of setting up alerts. Thanks for that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I've been doing that but I didn't think of setting up alerts. Thanks for that idea.
    if you've been looking really hard for something, it's pretty much a law of nature that the day a killer deal gets posted is the week after you give up checking the ads every day, or the week before you decide you're in the market. The secret is to give up looking 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    if you've been looking really hard for something, it's pretty much a law of nature that the day a killer deal gets posted is the week after you give up checking the ads every day, or the week before you decide you're in the market. The secret is to give up looking 藍
    Bit like relationships eh ? A friend of mine once said it's no good looking, you've got to wait till yer selected.

Actually it's how I met my ex wife, the day I stopped chasing she literally knocked on the door.

Maybe I should start a Gofundme page and call it the Gary Pick Sanity Fund.

Humidity is a bit intense tonight.

Light rain this morning so a cooler day. Fingers crossed the Cartopper gets sanded back today.

Blowing a full gale from the NE today, branches down. No gardening today!

Sailing club members blitzed 2 Vic championship classes over the weekend. But another pitchpoled his brand new Nacra……………… Mast broken.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Blowing a full gale from the NE today, branches down. No gardening today!

Sailing club members blitzed 2 Vic championship classes over the weekend. But another pitchpoled his brand new Nacra……………… Mast broken.
    You seem to get a few of those wild days Jeff. Imagine that mast is not going to be cheap to replace?

This is the sail plan presently fitted.
    cartopper sail plan.jpg

And this is the alternate sprit sail designed for the Cartopper. I will probably base the junk rig sail on this.
    Cartopper.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Something sits on our spreaders every now and then and drops bits of squid on the deck. Not often enough to be a problem but it's intriguing.
    Sperm whales eat squid.
    No no. No thanks required, being helpful is reward enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Sperm whales eat squid.
    Conjures up a Farside style image.

Tuna do too but I don't have steps on the mast so it's unlikely to be either of those. Whatever it is, is both sloppy and lazy. Or, possibly, a fussy eater.

Conjures up a Farside style image.
    Also, I'd have noticed the droppings. Which I understand are fairly substantial.

You can get a lot of money for the sperm whale vomit. Might be worth taking some in to a perfumery and seeing what they think.
    'Is this ambergris? '

Also, I'd have noticed the droppings. Which I understand are fairly substantial.
    Yeah, Have to agree.
    sperm-whale-defecation-201104-0719.jpg

You can get a lot of money for the sperm whale vomit. Might be worth taking some in to a perfumery and seeing what they think.
    'Is this ambergris? '
    Yeah but I'm just not convinced that it's a sperm whale that sits on my spreaders.

But if I do bump into a sperm whale, I'll tell him some of my jokes. That ought to produce enough ambergris to set me up for life!

A sparkling day on the water, 17 boats in the fleet racing including me. 12-15 kts from the SE, big swell in the afternoon.
    Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    A sparkling day on the water, 17 boats in the fleet racing including me. 12-15 kts from the SE, big swell in the afternoon.
    Perfect.
    Sounds like bliss ona stick.
    Getting right into repairing and modifying the Cartopper. I started a thread in designs on methods of getting a dinghy on and off a roofrack.

I do like this, pity it's not what I am after.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/palm...ler/1267164880

I do like this, pity it's not what I am after.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/palm...ler/1267164880
    Outghtred Elf I reckon. Very nice. I have plans somewhere.

it's 19'6" and has a mizzen step so it probably has to be a caledonia yawl? Looks quite well put together, but seems they planned to deck it, which i don't know is in the plans.

It says it's a Caledonia. I'd take that in a heartbeat if it was on the right continent continent.

Looks like it's got an outboard well on the portside.

No wooden boats were involved, but this weekend we ran what seems to be the club's first-ever sailing school. With huge assistance from our friends at Lake Keepit Sailing Club, who donated two old Corsairs and four old Toppers as well as their help instructing, we had 25 sailors on the water. Some of them had sailed a bit before this season, some started at our club this season, but most of them were kids who had never sailed. We lucked out with the conditions and everyone seemed to have a great time. One of the best memories was when the wind died and we on the beach could hear the sound of the kids becalmed, capsizing, joking, and just messing about on boats.

Apart from this year's annual regatta, I think it was the biggest event the club has had for a couple of decades. We've got a great group of new sailors. Instead of having a small bunch of older men, we are now developing a bunch of juniors and women with a family accent.

One of the interesting things in running a growing club is that it really illustrates the problems caused by the fact that most Australian boats are designed with speed as a priority. We don't have the equivalent of the northern hemisphere's Snipes, Enterprises, Lightnings, GP14s, etc. New Zealand seems to be even worse off, since they don't seem to have many equivalents to our strong family classes like Herons, NS14s, and Tasars and their once-great dinghy scene seems to be really suffering. The cats have done even worse than the monos in terms of creating family classes. The singlehanded dinghies have done well with classes like Lasers and Sabres.

If you've got less experienced adult sailors who are interested in sailing a dinghy together and not particularly light or nimble, it's really hard to find a suitable class in Australia. Adult couples, even when healthy, are now normally too big for a Heron, and even a Tasar or NS14 is getting a bit small and a bit too sensitive.

'Is this ambergris? '
    I have been walking the back beach here for years and keep a lookout for some ambergris. Apparently it's illegal in Oz to sell the stuff. I actually thought i found a small ball of it a few years ago but thought the amount wasn't worth pursuing dark web options for a sale!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    No wooden boats were involved, but this weekend we ran what seems to be the club's first-ever sailing school. With huge assistance from our friends at Lake Keepit Sailing Club, who donated two old Corsairs and four old Toppers as well as their help instructing, we had 25 sailors on the water. Some of them had sailed a bit before this season, some started at our club this season, but most of them were kids who had never sailed. We lucked out with the conditions and everyone seemed to have a great time. One of the best memories was when the wind died and we on the beach could hear the sound of the kids becalmed, capsizing, joking, and just messing about on boats.

Apart from this year's annual regatta, I think it was the biggest event the club has had for a couple of decades. We've got a great group of new sailors. Instead of having a small bunch of older men, we are now developing a bunch of juniors and women with a family accent.

One of the interesting things in running a growing club is that it really illustrates the problems caused by the fact that most Australian boats are designed with speed as a priority. We don't have the equivalent of the northern hemisphere's Snipes, Enterprises, Lightnings, GP14s, etc. New Zealand seems to be even worse off, since they don't seem to have many equivalents to our strong family classes like Herons, NS14s, and Tasars and their once-great dinghy scene seems to be really suffering. The cats have done even worse than the monos in terms of creating family classes. The singlehanded dinghies have done well with classes like Lasers and Sabres.

If you've got less experienced adult sailors who are interested in sailing a dinghy together and not particularly light or nimble, it's really hard to find a suitable class in Australia. Adult couples, even when healthy, are now normally too big for a Heron, and even a Tasar or NS14 is getting a bit small and a bit too sensitive.
    We should reinvigorate our Haul of Mirrors initiative!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post

Apart from 3 Mirrors available for training and several older Lasers and Sabres, we have 2, soon to be 3 purpose built sail training boats boasting a spinnaker and some qualified instructors to teach. We also have Opti's and Minnows for similar instruction for smaller juniors.
    As a result of less OS and interstate travel we also are having an influx of new members and families.

And in a fortnight the club has thrown caution to the winds and rostered me as OD. In charge of setting the course and circumstance of the daily races. ………..EEK!!
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-01-2021 at 05:37 AM.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Sperm whales eat squid.
    They suck them down like noodles. Their teeth are just to hold them, then they suck in an enormous volume of water vacuuming the GIANT squid down.

Sluurrrrp!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    They suck them down like noodles. Their teeth are just to hold them, then they suck in an enormous volume of water vacuuming the GIANT squid down.

Sluurrrrp!
    Well blow me down and call me Queequeg.
    There you go Rick, does the boat look a bit wet as well as squiddy?
    Man I'm good, should get a job solving a murder mystery or something.
    Last edited by John B; 02-01-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    That makes two of us

This construction project is creating new challenges daily ,and I have repeatedly dreamed of sending it back to sea.
    Now that it’s firmly anchored in our yard that is no longer an option . The picture should explain my recent absence .

E4EA7F8B-E38B-41B8-A3E2-FF0964AB0305.jpg

We should reinvigorate our Haul of Mirrors initiative!
    The Myall River and Lakes would make a great spot for a raid .
    I would be on board for another visit to that fantastic location. Obviously I’m not suggesting hauling the whole distance. We could start at the top and work our way down the lakes camping along the way with two great camping facilities en route. Jim could serve as a supply vessel and even transport a couple of dinghy’s, just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    The Myall River and Lakes would make a great spot for a raid .
    I would be on board for another visit to that fantastic location. Obviously I’m not suggesting hauling the whole distance. We could start at the top and work our way down the lakes camping along the way with two great camping facilities en route. Jim could serve as a supply vessel and even transport a couple of dinghy’s, just some food for thought.
    That would be nice to do at some stage.