Page 1436 of 1441 FirstFirst ... 436936133613861426143514361437 ... LastLast
Results 50,226 to 50,260 of 50425

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #50226
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,562

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Something sits on our spreaders every now and then and drops bits of squid on the deck. Not often enough to be a problem but it's intriguing.

  2. #50227
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    It took longer to put the dinghy in the water than it did to fix the outboard. <br>I have gears back and I ran it for a bit. So all good, though the patch of rot in the topside plank starboard bow is about 1 foot by 1 foot and quite soft.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  3. #50228
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    Should be able to find a ts16 under $1000, I got one for $750 with some localised rot you could have patched in a few days. Try Facebook marketplace and gumtree, and set up some alert emails for listings
    I've been doing that but I didn't think of setting up alerts. Thanks for that idea.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  4. #50229
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I've been doing that but I didn't think of setting up alerts. Thanks for that idea.
    if you've been looking really hard for something, it's pretty much a law of nature that the day a killer deal gets posted is the week after you give up checking the ads every day, or the week before you decide you're in the market. The secret is to give up looking 🤣

  5. #50230
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    if you've been looking really hard for something, it's pretty much a law of nature that the day a killer deal gets posted is the week after you give up checking the ads every day, or the week before you decide you're in the market. The secret is to give up looking 藍
    Bit like relationships eh ? A friend of mine once said it's no good looking, you've got to wait till yer selected.

    Actually it's how I met my ex wife, the day I stopped chasing she literally knocked on the door.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  6. #50231
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Maybe I should start a Gofundme page and call it the Gary Pick Sanity Fund.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  7. #50232
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Humidity is a bit intense tonight.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  8. #50233
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Light rain this morning so a cooler day. Fingers crossed the Cartopper gets sanded back today.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  9. #50234
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    64,796

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Blowing a full gale from the NE today, branches down. No gardening today!

    Sailing club members blitzed 2 Vic championship classes over the weekend. But another pitchpoled his brand new Nacra……………… Mast broken.

  10. #50235
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Blowing a full gale from the NE today, branches down. No gardening today!

    Sailing club members blitzed 2 Vic championship classes over the weekend. But another pitchpoled his brand new Nacra……………… Mast broken.
    You seem to get a few of those wild days Jeff. Imagine that mast is not going to be cheap to replace?
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  11. #50236
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    This is the sail plan presently fitted.
    cartopper sail plan.jpg

    And this is the alternate sprit sail designed for the Cartopper. I will probably base the junk rig sail on this.
    Cartopper.jpg
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  12. #50237

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection


  13. #50238
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,875

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Something sits on our spreaders every now and then and drops bits of squid on the deck. Not often enough to be a problem but it's intriguing.
    Sperm whales eat squid.
    No no. No thanks required, being helpful is reward enough for me.

  14. #50239
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Sperm whales eat squid.
    No no. No thanks required, being helpful is reward enough for me.
    Conjures up a Farside style image.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  15. #50240
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,562

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Tuna do too but I don't have steps on the mast so it's unlikely to be either of those. Whatever it is, is both sloppy and lazy. Or, possibly, a fussy eater.

  16. #50241
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,562

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Conjures up a Farside style image.
    Also, I'd have noticed the droppings. Which I understand are fairly substantial.

  17. #50242
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,875

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    You can get a lot of money for the sperm whale vomit. Might be worth taking some in to a perfumery and seeing what they think.
    'Is this ambergris? '

  18. #50243
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Also, I'd have noticed the droppings. Which I understand are fairly substantial.
    Yeah, Have to agree.
    sperm-whale-defecation-201104-0719.jpg
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  19. #50244
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,562

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You can get a lot of money for the sperm whale vomit. Might be worth taking some in to a perfumery and seeing what they think.
    'Is this ambergris? '
    Yeah but I'm just not convinced that it's a sperm whale that sits on my spreaders.

    But if I do bump into a sperm whale, I'll tell him some of my jokes. That ought to produce enough ambergris to set me up for life!

  20. #50245
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    64,796

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    A sparkling day on the water, 17 boats in the fleet racing including me. 12-15 kts from the SE, big swell in the afternoon.
    Perfect.

  21. #50246
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    A sparkling day on the water, 17 boats in the fleet racing including me. 12-15 kts from the SE, big swell in the afternoon.
    Perfect.
    Sounds like bliss ona stick.
    Getting right into repairing and modifying the Cartopper. I started a thread in designs on methods of getting a dinghy on and off a roofrack.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  22. #50247
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I do like this, pity it's not what I am after.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/palm...ler/1267164880
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  23. #50248
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    64,796

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I do like this, pity it's not what I am after.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/palm...ler/1267164880
    Outghtred Elf I reckon. Very nice. I have plans somewhere.

  24. #50249
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    it's 19'6" and has a mizzen step so it probably has to be a caledonia yawl? Looks quite well put together, but seems they planned to deck it, which i don't know is in the plans.

  25. #50250
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    2,766

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    It says it's a Caledonia. I'd take that in a heartbeat if it was on the right continent continent.

  26. #50251
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Looks like it's got an outboard well on the portside.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  27. #50252
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,391

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    No wooden boats were involved, but this weekend we ran what seems to be the club's first-ever sailing school. With huge assistance from our friends at Lake Keepit Sailing Club, who donated two old Corsairs and four old Toppers as well as their help instructing, we had 25 sailors on the water. Some of them had sailed a bit before this season, some started at our club this season, but most of them were kids who had never sailed. We lucked out with the conditions and everyone seemed to have a great time. One of the best memories was when the wind died and we on the beach could hear the sound of the kids becalmed, capsizing, joking, and just messing about on boats.

    Apart from this year's annual regatta, I think it was the biggest event the club has had for a couple of decades. We've got a great group of new sailors. Instead of having a small bunch of older men, we are now developing a bunch of juniors and women with a family accent.

    One of the interesting things in running a growing club is that it really illustrates the problems caused by the fact that most Australian boats are designed with speed as a priority. We don't have the equivalent of the northern hemisphere's Snipes, Enterprises, Lightnings, GP14s, etc. New Zealand seems to be even worse off, since they don't seem to have many equivalents to our strong family classes like Herons, NS14s, and Tasars and their once-great dinghy scene seems to be really suffering. The cats have done even worse than the monos in terms of creating family classes. The singlehanded dinghies have done well with classes like Lasers and Sabres.

    If you've got less experienced adult sailors who are interested in sailing a dinghy together and not particularly light or nimble, it's really hard to find a suitable class in Australia. Adult couples, even when healthy, are now normally too big for a Heron, and even a Tasar or NS14 is getting a bit small and a bit too sensitive.

  28. #50253
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You can get a lot of money for the sperm whale vomit. Might be worth taking some in to a perfumery and seeing what they think.
    'Is this ambergris? '
    I have been walking the back beach here for years and keep a lookout for some ambergris. Apparently it's illegal in Oz to sell the stuff. I actually thought i found a small ball of it a few years ago but thought the amount wasn't worth pursuing dark web options for a sale!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  29. #50254
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,562

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    No wooden boats were involved, but this weekend we ran what seems to be the club's first-ever sailing school. With huge assistance from our friends at Lake Keepit Sailing Club, who donated two old Corsairs and four old Toppers as well as their help instructing, we had 25 sailors on the water. Some of them had sailed a bit before this season, some started at our club this season, but most of them were kids who had never sailed. We lucked out with the conditions and everyone seemed to have a great time. One of the best memories was when the wind died and we on the beach could hear the sound of the kids becalmed, capsizing, joking, and just messing about on boats.

    Apart from this year's annual regatta, I think it was the biggest event the club has had for a couple of decades. We've got a great group of new sailors. Instead of having a small bunch of older men, we are now developing a bunch of juniors and women with a family accent.

    One of the interesting things in running a growing club is that it really illustrates the problems caused by the fact that most Australian boats are designed with speed as a priority. We don't have the equivalent of the northern hemisphere's Snipes, Enterprises, Lightnings, GP14s, etc. New Zealand seems to be even worse off, since they don't seem to have many equivalents to our strong family classes like Herons, NS14s, and Tasars and their once-great dinghy scene seems to be really suffering. The cats have done even worse than the monos in terms of creating family classes. The singlehanded dinghies have done well with classes like Lasers and Sabres.

    If you've got less experienced adult sailors who are interested in sailing a dinghy together and not particularly light or nimble, it's really hard to find a suitable class in Australia. Adult couples, even when healthy, are now normally too big for a Heron, and even a Tasar or NS14 is getting a bit small and a bit too sensitive.
    We should reinvigorate our Haul of Mirrors initiative!

  30. #50255
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    64,796

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    No wooden boats were involved, but this weekend we ran what seems to be the club's first-ever sailing school. With huge assistance from our friends at Lake Keepit Sailing Club, who donated two old Corsairs and four old Toppers as well as their help instructing, we had 25 sailors on the water. Some of them had sailed a bit before this season, some started at our club this season, but most of them were kids who had never sailed. We lucked out with the conditions and everyone seemed to have a great time. One of the best memories was when the wind died and we on the beach could hear the sound of the kids becalmed, capsizing, joking, and just messing about on boats.

    Apart from this year's annual regatta, I think it was the biggest event the club has had for a couple of decades. We've got a great group of new sailors. Instead of having a small bunch of older men, we are now developing a bunch of juniors and women with a family accent.

    One of the interesting things in running a growing club is that it really illustrates the problems caused by the fact that most Australian boats are designed with speed as a priority. We don't have the equivalent of the northern hemisphere's Snipes, Enterprises, Lightnings, GP14s, etc. New Zealand seems to be even worse off, since they don't seem to have many equivalents to our strong family classes like Herons, NS14s, and Tasars and their once-great dinghy scene seems to be really suffering. The cats have done even worse than the monos in terms of creating family classes. The singlehanded dinghies have done well with classes like Lasers and Sabres.

    If you've got less experienced adult sailors who are interested in sailing a dinghy together and not particularly light or nimble, it's really hard to find a suitable class in Australia. Adult couples, even when healthy, are now normally too big for a Heron, and even a Tasar or NS14 is getting a bit small and a bit too sensitive.
    Apart from 3 Mirrors available for training and several older Lasers and Sabres, we have 2, soon to be 3 purpose built sail training boats boasting a spinnaker and some qualified instructors to teach. We also have Opti's and Minnows for similar instruction for smaller juniors.
    As a result of less OS and interstate travel we also are having an influx of new members and families.

    And in a fortnight the club has thrown caution to the winds and rostered me as OD. In charge of setting the course and circumstance of the daily races. ………..EEK!!
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-01-2021 at 05:37 AM.

  31. #50256
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    5,803

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Sperm whales eat squid.
    No no. No thanks required, being helpful is reward enough for me.
    They suck them down like noodles. Their teeth are just to hold them, then they suck in an enormous volume of water vacuuming the GIANT squid down.

    Sluurrrrp!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  32. #50257
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,875

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    They suck them down like noodles. Their teeth are just to hold them, then they suck in an enormous volume of water vacuuming the GIANT squid down.

    Sluurrrrp!
    Well blow me down and call me Queequeg.
    There you go Rick, does the boat look a bit wet as well as squiddy?
    Man I'm good, should get a job solving a murder mystery or something.
    Last edited by John B; 02-01-2021 at 01:30 PM.

  33. #50258
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,306

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    That makes two of us

    This construction project is creating new challenges daily ,and I have repeatedly dreamed of sending it back to sea.
    Now that it’s firmly anchored in our yard that is no longer an option . The picture should explain my recent absence .

    E4EA7F8B-E38B-41B8-A3E2-FF0964AB0305.jpg

  34. #50259
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,306

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    We should reinvigorate our Haul of Mirrors initiative!
    The Myall River and Lakes would make a great spot for a raid .
    I would be on board for another visit to that fantastic location. Obviously I’m not suggesting hauling the whole distance. We could start at the top and work our way down the lakes camping along the way with two great camping facilities en route. Jim could serve as a supply vessel and even transport a couple of dinghy’s, just some food for thought.

  35. #50260
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,947

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    The Myall River and Lakes would make a great spot for a raid .
    I would be on board for another visit to that fantastic location. Obviously I’m not suggesting hauling the whole distance. We could start at the top and work our way down the lakes camping along the way with two great camping facilities en route. Jim could serve as a supply vessel and even transport a couple of dinghy’s, just some food for thought.
    That would be nice to do at some stage.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •