Page 1435 of 1441 FirstFirst ... 435935133513851425143414351436 ... LastLast
Results 50,191 to 50,225 of 50432

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    If you have an Australian dingo as a pet/companion dog can you take it into a national park

Bruce
    No. All dogs are banned. Even little lovable ones that only bite people but would otherwise not hurt even a fly. I imagine a dingo that could be proven to be from that park would be allowed back in but that might be difficult to prove. You could sneak the dingo in then video him following you back out through a gate. You could search the park for a dead dingo, take a tissue sample, have it DNA tested along with your dog, and write to the minister for an exemption if there's a match. Or you could talk someone into minding the dog.

I trust this answers your query.

My thoughts regarding Redwings replacement are switching more to downsizing. Most likely trailerable that can be brought home and put in the shed under cover. Anyway my options are still open but I don't think they include another keel boat.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

The boys went fishing out through Port Phillip heads on the weekend. Caught some nice bluefin; We used to have competitions for who could catch the biggest fish when we were at the Prom. I always came through with a big couta or a gummy shark. One year they thought they had me with some very nice Bass. I think they have the upper hand now........

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Dems big fush.

Nasty weather for sailing small boats……………. but very quick if you stay upright.

We've been having a great summer here. A bit of rain but not for long. Cool SE winds on many days. Really nice after last summer which was like Armageddon!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Nasty weather for sailing small boats……………. but very quick if you stay upright.
    I figure if I can keep a Cartopper upright I should be okay.
    Around 60mm so far this evening.

Hi WX, Make the cartopper into a collapsible trimaran.

Bruce

Hi WX, Make the cartopper into a collapsible trimaran.

Bruce
    You mean put Training wheels on it?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    We've been having a great summer here. A bit of rain but not for long. Cool SE winds on many days. Really nice after last summer which was like Armageddon!
    71mm last night. Very steamy today.

Hi Wx. Down in Port Cygnet (Tas) one of the members rescued an old Soling class yacht removed the ballast keel and using a old hobby cat 16 made up a fancy trimaran . It took a couple of seasons to master sailing of it but now is usually gets fastest time in the race. They are big into the recycling down in Tasmania.

Bruce

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

If you have an Australian dingo as a pet/companion dog can you take it into a national park

Bruce
    Interesting, there's usually different rules for a 'companion' dog, as in 'assistance' dog over simply a pet.
    Found this; https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/t.../pets-in-parks

Round me people walk their dogs in the national park/reserve all the time. Just the paths along the very edge that skirt the town. Nothing lives there anymore - the cats have destroyed all small wildlife locally. Small wildlife = prey, no small wildlife = no predators.

This really beautiful, in a sinister kind of way, black cat appeared at the end of our street a year or so ago. It seems to live nearby and hangs out where lyre birds have lived forever. We had to walk through the lyre bird's turf to get to the train, they were always around. You could watch their full annual routine from mating dances to young, and all the funny amazing sounds.

No more lyre birds.

All cats should be destroyed!!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Tip! Aldi tools are mostly junk but thdir F-clamps are good and very cheap. I've bought their quick-clamps before and they were junk. Aaaaanyway, they currently have smallish f-clamps and medium sized quick-clamps and they are really good, a new range. They sell out quickly so jump in if you need more clamps. Who doesn't need more clamps?

I've put out a test the water ad for selling Redwing for $4,000. Which is my calculation on what I would get in lead ballast and gear salvage. I have one person interested.

Good luck with the sale!
    Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look forward to the journey.
    Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Good luck with the sale!
    Thanks. She deserves someone with more energy than I have.

Been up on the roof reconnecting my solar panels with mc4 connectors and fitting the panels to proper PV rails instead of the home made frames i have now. Damned hot up there.

Back when I first thought of building a boat it was going to be a hartley 16. I noticed a reasonable looking TS16 for sale in Bundaberg for a reasonable price...which I don't have, yet.
    And then I discover Arne Kverneland has drawn up a couple of JR sail plans for a TS16.
    20160124 Designing a Johanna-style JR for a Hartley TS16.jpg

This weekend would have been our Wooden Dinghy Regatta No. 8, sadly not.
    High 20's today, 35 tomorrow, over 40 Monday with a gusty northerlyand a change..

Monday would not have been fun on the water or off it.

This weekend would have been our Wooden Dinghy Regatta No. 8, sadly not.
    High 20's today, 35 tomorrow, over 40 Monday with a gusty northerlyand a change..

Monday would not have been fun on the water or off it.
    Come on Jeff you are one of the few that actually goes sailing...we're counting on you.
    Me? I'm going up to the boat tomorrow to fix the gears on the outboard.

I seriously wonder about myself sometimes. I've just spent two days trying to get a bunch MC4 solar connectors to work and not understanding why the hell they wouldn't. 5 minutes online solved the problem. Male and female connectors have different terminal inserts. How the hell did i not notice?!!!!!

We’re at the Broughton Islands. Snorkelling through islands (literally) looking at big rays and Grey Nurse sharks. Windsurfing. Trying wing foiling. Stunning scenes of perfect white foam and ice blue waves breaking on the reefs. Clear water. Small fish nudging your feet. For us, the equal of any island in the Whitsundays

Ah, through the Looking Glass. Yes, very nice out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    We’re at the Broughton Islands. Snorkelling through islands (literally) looking at big rays and Grey Nurse sharks. Windsurfing. Trying wing foiling. Stunning scenes of perfect white foam and ice blue waves breaking on the reefs. Clear water. Small fish nudging your feet. For us, the equal of any island in the Whitsundays
    I've only seen the island from a distance but I've always wanted to go there. Thought I might do it on Redwing once but that's not going to happen.

Hello Rick, As you know we don't have a dog so the question never asked, I was just wondering what the cruising folk do if they had a dog on board and were cruising in QLD where some islands are NP.

Bruce

My own view is that no one should take a dog or cat cruising. It's cruel, in my opinion, and often seems to end badly. I think you just have to work out dog minding arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Come on Jeff you are one of the few that actually goes sailing...we're counting on you.
    Me? I'm going up to the boat tomorrow to fix the gears on the outboard.
    Monday, today, wasn't fun, 38 in the shade here at 11, 40 at 1, then a change…23, humid and heavily overcast. I just got up and cleaned the gutters.
    Sailing tomorrow. Forecast 20- 30 kts of wind and showers (read squalls) off the end of a tropical rain front. One can only get wet of course…………………..

Didn't Bob Smalser take his Newfoundlands cruising? In our club Brown, a Labrador, has his official crew tag having been observed hand….no mouthing rhe mainsheet on his skippers catamaran.

I know someone in NZ has a cat onboard. It even has its own Facebook page.

Monday, today, wasn't fun, 38 in the shade here at 11, 40 at 1, then a change…23, humid and heavily overcast. I just got up and cleaned the gutters.
    Sailing tomorrow. Forecast 20- 30 kts of wind and showers (read squalls) off the end of a tropical rain front. One can only get wet of course…………………..

Didn't Bob Smalser take his Newfoundlands cruising? In our club Brown, a Labrador, has his official crew tag having been observed hand….no mouthing rhe mainsheet on his skippers catamaran.
    Didn't make it to the boat yesterday. By the time I'd finished sorting out our solar power the last thing I wanted to do was manhandle the dinghy off and back on the boat. Going up Wednesday instead. I have someone who wants to buy Redwing's mast and rig later this year. Asking $2,500 which I hope will get me a project trailer sailer around 16-18ft. I've seen a couple of Hartley 16s for around that, so there is hope for me yet.

Good luck with that Gary.
    Wind consistent 15-18 kts with gusts over 20 most of the day.
    Morning as jumper in the safety boat to assist with capsizes, gear breakages etc. (it was that sort of morning).
    Afternoon it eased a little, falling tide, flat water, planing on 2 of the 3 legs and fast even to windward. Great fun.
    Extensive afternoon tea was served!

Taking a dog or cat out for a day or two is fine. But weeks or months at sea? Just cruel for a dog and cats always seem to end up overboard.

The birds are fouling up my boat again. It seems to start around this time each year, usually the pacific gulls but this year it's a bunch of seagulls. I gave the deck and cabin top a good scrub on Sunday and will buy some netting. Last year I used one large net but it was a pain to put up so this year i'm putting one of those whirly bird busta's on the foredeck and the netting over the cabin top.

One of the advantages of having the boat moored at Blairgowrie is i can keep an eye on it using the yacht club web cam. I've been thinking of ways to rig up a remote controlled blaster or speaker and fire it off or yelling obscenities each time the birds land on the boat.....there's none there at the moment.

Last edited by Hallam; 01-26-2021 at 05:14 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

We have swallows that just love our boat. I use netting. It's a pain but orherwise the boat gets pretty disgusting.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I get Cormorants sitting on the spreaders - they make an unbelievable mess. They were forced to the outer boats during the fires last year (my mooring field is nestled into the Jervis Bay National Park, which burnt) - and they stayed.
    I had string run above the spreader but it only made a small difference. I'll be putting in spikes before i relaunch.

Small birds not such a problem.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Should be able to find a ts16 under $1000, I got one for $750 with some localised rot you could have patched in a few days. Try Facebook marketplace and gumtree, and set up some alert emails for listings