Page 143 of 1145 FirstFirst ... 43931331421431441531932436431143 ... LastLast
Results 4,971 to 5,005 of 40061

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

I hope you guys have a great afternoon up in Brissy', looks like a great day for it. I wish I could make it up there but what little time i have at home is far too precious at the moment . Just make sure you solve the problems of the world while you have the chance and post the solutions on the forum with pics!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Greg, enjoy your precious home time, and be assured we'll be talking about you too!!! As for the pics, we'll see!

I trust the afternoon was a good'n johnno. We thought 'why should they have all the fun', fired up the barbie and invited a few neighbours. A fine sunny afternoon was had by all but about now the temperature is plummeting so it's stoke up the fire and listen to some music I bought the other day. Dad's day tomorrow, my 85 year old FIL is calling in for lunch on his way home from a weeks driving tour. Joined the RN at 13 and has been independent ever since I reckon.

Hope you all had a good afternoon-and get home safely! Perfect spring day here, 20C, clear blue skies, no wind. Buggered if I didn't go and buy another bloody pair of self tailing winches though

I just made it home, Gary's still driving ...a lovely afternoon with excellent company, my thanks to our hosts .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yes, we've just finished loading up the trailer ready for the longish haul in the morrow. We had a lovely time with John, Yang Yang and the crew from them thar hills! Thanks to our fine hosts - a great afternoon!

We were hoping to make it out to Greg's too but we just had toooo much on - sorry Greg, but as this travelling north seems to be turning into a habit, it won't be long before we'll come a'knockin'!

We've really enjoyed our time in Brisbane - I reckon it's a great place; friendly, great houses, easy to get around - all good, for a city!

Rick

.....for a city but these hills are so quiet !
    Grateful Dead

Great afternoon catching up with the lads and lasses, lovely to see everyone, and yes, Greg and Jeff and Phil, and other missing friends, you were mentioned in dispatches!

Following Greg's instructions to the letter, we put in a good couple of hours solving the problems of the universe, boat building, multi-cultural humour, liveable cities, boat shows, linguistics, architectural wall linings........very seriously and diligently.....

but after lunch everyone was in a lighter mood...though try as we did, nothing would tempt Gary into Peter's lap for the photo op....

Thanks Gary for the books, and especially the rare chart of the Sandy Straits, and thanks everyone for the delicious food and company!!

Next time Yang Yang and I will get you all (including absent friends) up to Poona and the Straits for an EBS weekend...there's talk of a houseboat or two

That will be terrific too! I'm also thinking a Myall Lakes expedition might be a great way to celebrate Peter's boat when it's launched. The Myalls can just accommodate the Folkboat, Gary's boat will be able to get through too (but it's quite a sail to get to Port Stephens), Duncan could bring Looe if the trailer gets built, Jeff could bring the Mac, and it'd be perfect for Greg's TS, John's Egret and Jim. 2014?

Rick

Oh and thanks Gary for the book! It's great!

Rick

Looked like a good day up in Brizzy! And thanks for the blocks and wetsuit Gary. The long-johns and booties will be perfect in the Corsair, 470 or Flying Dutchman. The Vice Commodore's talking of getting a few VJs for the club as well.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That will be terrific too! I'm also thinking a Myall Lakes expedition might be a great way to celebrate Peter's boat when it's launched. The Myalls can just accommodate the Folkboat, Gary's boat will be able to get through too (but it's quite a sail to get to Port Stephens), Duncan could bring Looe if the trailer gets built, Jeff could bring the Mac, and it'd be perfect for Greg's TS, John's Egret and Jim. 2014?

Rick
    I like the idea!
    I see that johnno's shed got it's christening too. And Gary looks very relaxed for a man who has been levitating his boat and swinging the lead at the same time.

Duncan. VJ's? I didn't realise there were any about these days. I inherited one from my oldest step brother when he discovered girls. A step up from sailing Herons on Albert Park Lake and quite an interesting craft to sail in any breeze. Last heard of with the YHA at Inverloch.

Oh and thanks Gary for the book! It's great!

Rick
    My pleasure, I'm enjoying finding good homes for stuff at the moment. not to mention catching up with you guys again
    I enjoyed the day very much and it was great to see John and Yang Yang's home and meet Yang Yang as well. I got back to Uki in time to catch most of the live Irish music at the hall. So I've had quite a full day.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

John's place is great, full of good ideas and the pair of them obviously have great taste. The new shed is just too tidy though and I was disappointed to find no suitable place for hanging clamps......

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Looked like a good day up in Brizzy! And thanks for the blocks and wetsuit Gary. The long-johns and booties will be perfect in the Corsair, 470 or Flying Dutchman. The Vice Commodore's talking of getting a few VJs for the club as well.
    Fer goodness' sake, just get that bloody Dragon done!

Rick

VJs! Last time I was on one of them I was just a kid and it was my brothers. The bloody thing capsized with me under the Jib, I was sitting in the spinnaker bowl. It turned upside down and my mate climbed on top of the hull, then the mast snapped.

I've woken up with a sore throat so I'm hoping I haven't caught Kerry's Dreaded Lurgy. I don't have time to be sick!
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

"I've woken up with a sore throat so I'm hoping I haven't caught Kerry's Dreaded Lurgy."
    Whisky and lemon Gary, Gargle and swallow. BTW thr lemon only has to be somewhere in the house

Seriously, sage tea and gargle, it's probably just you were talking too much yesterday.

it's probably just you were talking too much yesterday.
    Hopefully Jeff that is the case.
    Scotch is apparently arriving tomorrow with our visitors, as for sage, it's been a while since I had that growing.
    It might have to be lemon and honey and I think ginger is good.

John Welsford

Fer goodness' sake, just get that bloody Dragon done!

Rick
    Ballast keel is expected to be dropped within the fortnight. We'll be able to lower the whole boat then, which will make life easier. Plus I want to have a frame laminating jig ready for when we get back from India.

Anyhoo... Get that bloody Twister done!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

John's place is great, full of good ideas and the pair of them obviously have great taste. The new shed is just too tidy though and I was disappointed to find no suitable place for hanging clamps......

Rick
    I think we should contribute a decent bag of shavings and saw dust to John as he seems to have mislaid his own, being a generous type , I could probably supply a ute full.
    Grateful Dead

Bugger-missed out on the sounder/chartplotter/radar/cocktail display unit. Probly just as well.

Hmm, thank you so much Peter for the kind offer of the dust. I'd rather have a partridge in a pear tree though if you've got one.

Rick, I'm still over-designering the clampythingameejigs...stay tuned.

A pity John, I've generated another wheel barrow load this afternoon. However I'll keep an eye open for a partridge in a pear tree. Always keen to help.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    However I'll keep an eye open for a partridge in a pear tree.
    Ooooooh, you don't see many of them around here.......

Not at this time of year anyway.

Congrats on the scarfing progress!

Ballast keel is expected to be dropped within the fortnight. We'll be able to lower the whole boat then, which will make life easier. Plus I want to have a frame laminating jig ready for when we get back from India.

Anyhoo... Get that bloody Twister done!
    Touche! But the Twister's actually meant to be a retirement project, and, sadly, that day hasn't arrived yet! And I have a house to render liveable too!

Rick

We just lost a tree pair on a part ridge .....

I don't need a barrow full of dust delivered to my shed. I find a bit of wood and an idea will usually do the trick!

Rick

A pair of trees came down up on the ridge in the last gale.

Hopefully a half day on the water tomorrow. Sunny, light cloud and 22c.
    (We're sure to find some swans a-swimming)

And I have a house to render liveable too!
    A mere single house? Pfffhhhttt!

You don't want to see my 'to do' list!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

It's a clean ship day today, we have visitors arriving for a week or so.
    The throat is no worse so maybe I won't get sick...it's all in the mind you know.

John Welsford

A mere single house? Pfffhhhttt!

You don't want to see my 'to do' list!
    Oh really? Try two jobs, two house renos, one yacht to maintain and another to rebuild, plans for two small boats, a garden shed cum pottery shed, total re-landscape, a shed stuffed with new flooring for the house et al. My to-do list leaves yours in its distant dust! Now hurry up and finish that Dragon as you have NO EXCUSE ..... and you declared it would be back in the water in about ...... four weeks (after those of us who are OLDER and WISER ...... okay, maybe just older, advised that it might take just a little longer). So there ........ Pfffhhhtttttt pfffhhhtttttt!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    It's a clean ship day today, we have visitors arriving for a week or so.
    The throat is no worse so maybe I won't get sick...it's all in the mind you know.
    Maybe you could try out your Lois Armstrong impression on the visitors?

Ha only one to do list..............try priorty one list, SWMBO's list that is then there is the boat list and of course the getaroundtoit list. OK lets make September Roundtoit month.

On that note I'll mow the lawns today. BTW yesterday was good for some champagne sailing. Was on a mate's grp ex Hobart (ex "Excitable Boy"). Only saw 2 timber boats out.
    Xanthorrea

My to-do list leaves yours in its distant dust!
    Just having five acres to re-landscape and manage puts all of what you said in the ultra-meagre category.

Dust? Pfffhhhtttttt pfffhhhtttttt pfffhhhtttttt pfffhhhtttttt!!

Plus I've got the infamous dual 'to do list' Mike.

When I was young we used to get up half an hour before we went to bed and lick th' road clean!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

My list has been suspended. Well mostly. Every cloud has a silver lining.