Page 1426 of 1435 FirstFirst ... 426926132613761416142514261427 ... LastLast
Results 49,876 to 49,910 of 50191

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Cup Day. Warm to hot, but 28 on the coast. Fluky northerly, with gusts from everywhere else but stayed up. A really fun days sailing and challenging enough not to go to sleep. It was the day after all the exams finished and the morning beach was carpeted with bright young things of both sexes in very little, and a modicum of alcohol meant that as the day went on even less, but it was all very friendly. The afternoon beach was carpeted with sunburn…….. There'll be lots of ouch tonight.

A nice description Jeff.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Being Victoria, hot and humid this morning, southerly change, rain, cold.

In a short time we'll be dodging bushfires again.

Went to the Tweed slip today so see about hauling out. Earliest slot I can get is 7th Dec.

ok this has been bothering me for a while, does anyone know the design of the little schooner that is in the opening title sequence of the ABC TV show set in "Huon Valley Tasmania" called Rosehaven

looks like a really nice little schooner BTW theres another boat on a trailer blue and white I think in someones front yard, come on antipodeans someone must know the design, its making me loopy

for those who havent seen it
    http://markandtom/rosehaven has the title sequence , maybe it helps jog the memory
    thanks
    Nath
    Last edited by tunznath; 11-06-2020 at 05:16 PM. Reason: adding info

Screenshot_20201107-091000.jpg this one on the right? no idea

thats the one and that was quick, good on ya mate
    now whats the design?

Hi, The shot you posted is a mooring area just south of Franklin on the way to Port Huon, Its been a couple of years since we left that area. The shot is a few years old as the ex WW2 tug has been painted white with blue trim. You could email the Wooden Boat School at Franklin I sure they will know and be able to help.

Bruce

QLD maritime museum facing permanent closure due to lack of funds.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...nding/12860220

Well, we just had another damn fine sailing day. Last season at Australia's top sailing club (1175m above sea level, so that's authentic and undeniable) was pretty horrible, with fires, drought, a blue green algae plague, etc. This season we're back on track to double active membership once again. It's still a tiny club, but membership has come close to doubling so far this season and we've now got half a dozen youth sailors.

We had a lot of the stalwart members away this weekend, but in their place were five new members (three of them teenagers) and one new kid. They are all utterly lit up with the beauty and challenge of sailing. When we were waiting for a new breeze I pulled out my two DF65 radio controlled yachts and handed them to the kids; they loved them. I now think a certain 9 year old has written his Christmas list. When the breeze came back in, two of the new teens headed out and had a ball; one on a Windrush cat and the other on a Laser. Meanwhile, someone who had not sailed for 20-30 years was sailing around on his "new" Hobie 16, utterly blissed out.

Damn, we love seeing new people get into the sport and old sailors returning after 20 years away!

I've ordered the waterpump replacement kit and I've found a supplier of the Jotun SeaGuard antifoul I want, and at a reasonable price. Picking up extra epoxy on Monday. I'm also getting a quote to have the outboard overhaul done by someone who actually knows how. If I do it it's going to be with the manual in one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Well, we just had another damn fine sailing day. Last season at Australia's top sailing club (1175m above sea level, so that's authentic and undeniable) was pretty horrible, with fires, drought, a blue green algae plague, etc. This season we're back on track to double active membership once again. It's still a tiny club, but membership has come close to doubling so far this season and we've now got half a dozen youth sailors.

We had a lot of the stalwart members away this weekend, but in their place were five new members (three of them teenagers) and one new kid. They are all utterly lit up with the beauty and challenge of sailing. When we were waiting for a new breeze I pulled out my two DF65 radio controlled yachts and handed them to the kids; they loved them. I now think a certain 9 year old has written his Christmas list. When the breeze came back in, two of the new teens headed out and had a ball; one on a Windrush cat and the other on a Laser. Meanwhile, someone who had not sailed for 20-30 years was sailing around on his "new" Hobie 16, utterly blissed out.

Damn, we love seeing new people get into the sport and old sailors returning after 20 years away!
    Where is this (again)?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

IMG_20201110_122627396.jpgI asked the boatyard to order 2 new tyres for the transom wheels on our dinghy. I guess I got the size wrong. Bruce

Hey Bruce, what's the name of the guy near you who does marine upholstery and trim etc.?
    Rick

Hi Rick, Tidy Trim located in Wickham.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!
    Rick

When your bit of aluminium ladder is not long enough.

20201111_145147.jpg

Very creative Gary.
    Yuor weather downnhere, hot, humid and stormy.

ok this has been bothering me for a while, does anyone know the design of the little schooner that is in the opening title sequence of the ABC TV show set in "Huon Valley Tasmania" called Rosehaven
    Can't say I've seen the blue boat anywhere near me (I live in Rosehaven :-)
    I'll ask at the LBT tomorrow and see if anyone can identiy the schooner.

EDIT: In driving past the other day, I noticed that the boat currently moored at that location is a differnet one - same colours. Probaly why I struck a blank at the LBT.
    The two masted one in the Rosehaven intro look similar to John Young;s Leofleda.
    Last edited by geoff_s; 11-20-2020 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    When your bit of aluminium ladder is not long enough.

20201111_145147.jpg
    I'm stealing that idea. I just need a couple more rungs worth, and that is way more sanitary than what I was thinking of.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    I'm stealing that idea. I just need a couple more rungs worth, and that is way more sanitary than what I was thinking of.

Pete
    The rungs on the alloy ladder are tubular section so I was able to run threaded rod right through. Wooden section has wooden risers screwed to the inner side of the rails and treads are ended screwed. It works quite well and feels safe.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Coming down like cats and dogs here right now.
    The full Monty, rain, hail, thunder, lightening, high winds.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    IMG_20201110_122627396.jpgI asked the boatyard to order 2 new tyres for the transom wheels on our dinghy. I guess I got the size wrong. Bruce
    if they fall they wreck that model motor boat.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Sunday sailing: Hot but 28 on the water. Another gusty northerly day, catspaws going round in circles. With alto cumulus overhead big downdraft gusts, broke one mast, capsised just about everyone at some stage. Morning race wasn't too bad, but I decided that discretion was the better part of valour in the afternoon as the wind and gusts grew and retired early to join the second crash boat. Three in, driver, observer, swimmer, and all needed. Police turned up for a look and decided we had it in hand.

Phew! Hot here today! Hardly any wind and really muggy.
    Rick

34 today, hot and still at home but blowing 15 - 20 knots at Tweed. Got to spend half an hour or so on the boat...pumped the bilge. I'm going to give myself another year to see if I can use the boat more often...if not, well.....

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Where is this (again)?
    <br>

Armidale; well, actually the dam and club are closer to Guyra, 20ks north.<br>

We just had our annual regatta this weekend; the first one with me as Commodore and my wife as Race Officer. About five years ago they were down to seven boats, including visitors. Last year there were 17. This year, we had 30. We would have had 31 but one of our keen new members, Paulo, broke his mast the previous week so he stepped on to the rescue boat to take lots of great pics on the gusty first day.

The evening before the regatta my lovely wife took a pic of this good omen over the lake;

Thunderbolt's rainbow.jpg

Thunderbolt and reeds.jpg
    Number 308 is the overall winner, Olympic silver medallist and Moth and A Class world champ Andrew Landenberger who now sails at our club. Although he still has his A cat, he has moved to an Impulse and is having some great racing with the club's Laser fleet. We also took out second overall, which was also first in the 23-strong Laser fleet. Not bad for a little inland club.

Thunderbolt capsize.jpg
    But the most important thing was that everyone had a great time. The catering was fantastic, the weather was great (although Sunday's winds were very light and fluky), and the racing was deadly close until the last light-air race. Two sailors had their first-ever races and although school formals etc took away most of the kids, we still had a few of them out there. Even those who capsized had fun, which was a good thing as even guys like former members of the Laser Worlds team and America's Cup crews hit the drink on day 1.

Thunderbolt David capsized.jpg

Thunderbolt Deb mark rounding.jpg

Day 2 was very light and fluky, which suited the Lasers. Our stalwart member Ed sailed with his son Max on the bow and still led Landy for some time. :-)

Sorry about the lack of wood, but the club and regatta have distracted me from the renovation of Radiant, the 28'er. The membership has climbed by about 60% so far this season and the planning for our first formal sailing school is underway, so it's very worthwhile.
    Last edited by Chris249; 11-16-2020 at 05:56 AM.

Great! But how come all these top sailors are in a club near ..... Armidale!?
    Rick

My # 49901.
    I neglected to say our senior active member had a birthday last Sunday, 94.

Chris. Looks an interesting place to sail, hills and trees funnelling winds in odd directions somewhat like the effects in our estuary.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Great! But how come all these top sailors are in a club near ..... Armidale!?
    Work and wives, plus it's a lovely place with more of a "university town" feel than most Australian country towns. Most of the top sailors came up for the weekend from the coast; when it comes to attracting visitors, nothing works like going to other clubs' regattas, being friendly, and beating them on their home turf. :-)

On the same weekend I had to miss the NSW Windsurfer LT championships, which had an amazing 71 entries. The LT is the new version of the original Windsurfer; still the same length and still as simple as the original. Simple, cheap, accessible and friendly classes and clubs can still attract plenty of sailors.

....and to bring the wood back in; one of our members is new to sailing and had her first look at a trailerable yacht this weekend. She has submitted a request to hubby for one with a nice wooden interior. For our lake and their needs, it's got to be small, light and quick enough for club sailing, but with more accommodation than a TS16 or Cherry 16. Since it's a first yacht, it shouldn't be too expensive.

Any ideas for a cheap, fast, simple, small, safe and roomy wooden TY? After all, it's not too much to ask to get all those in one package is it? :-)

Great!!

The Cygnet 20 is a nice boat but GRP. There's a guy from WA who has brought his design and an example to the AWB a couple of times. Also nice but I can't remember the name.
    Rick

I too am groping for it, vaguely French?
    Vivieres Jewell['. Francis O'Connor in WA

http://www.oconnorwoodenboats.com/jewell

No, that's not the one I'm thinking of.
    Rick