Page 1425 of 1427 FirstFirst ... 425925132513751415142414251426 ... LastLast
Results 49,841 to 49,875 of 49941

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I know it has been three + years now but please give the main office staff my best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do Bruce.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Thanks for the pic of Jim under sail Tom.

Second maintenace morning at the club today. Expelling spiders, replacing some window trims and undercoating them, Rigging work on the club boats, etc etc, then a brisk afternoons sailing with 9 boats out in a rock steady SEaster.

I might have broken both legs. My left tibia has a kind of 'bone is healing under this lump' thing happening even though there isn't anything visibly cracked on an xray of the area. The right tibia is definitely fractured, though undisplaced. It seems to be fractured all the way through the outside lump of the top of the tibia but so far it hasn't come apart.

People keep telling me it can't be too bad because I have a reasonably balanced gait, but I'm just limping on both legs.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

How did you do that Bruce? Or do you have brittle bones?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    How did you do that Bruce? Or do you have brittle bones?

I stood in the way of two medium sized dogs playing chasey in a dog park. They took me out head on just below my knees. Hyperextended my knees and brought me face first into the turf. The people at the hospital thought it was just bruised and sent me home. Three days later they figured a slab of my right tibia was cracked through and in danger of sheering off. Another two weeks later they figured my left tibia 'might' be cracked due to the swollen tissue looking like a bone is healing.

It's not for sissies this walk in the park with a dog. Or is that solo coastal sailing? I can never recall which is the dangerous one.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I stood in the way of two medium sized dogs playing chasey in a dog park. They took me out head on just below my knees. Hyperextended my knees and brought me face first into the turf. The people at the hospital thought it was just bruised and sent me home. Three days later they figured a slab of my right tibia was cracked through and in danger of sheering off. Another two weeks later they figured my left tibia 'might' be cracked due to the swollen tissue looking like a bone is healing.

It's not for sissies this walk in the park with a dog. Or is that solo coastal sailing? I can never recall which is the dangerous one.

So, not a walk in the park then.
    Try and rest it more Bruce. Its hard to not be doing when you've got stuff to do. I'm in a similar situation with my eye and I have another week or so before I get the all clear.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    So, not a walk in the park then.
    Try and rest it more Bruce. Its hard to not be doing when you've got stuff to do. I'm in a similar situation with my eye and I have another week or so before I get the all clear.

I hope your eye heals up properly and quickly Gaz

Well I hope you both get well soon!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

I'm sorry to hear of your various ills fellers.
    Our club pre-season tidy up day 3 consisted of half a dozen ladders and a dozen men with paint brushes.
    Afterwards with a 15-20kt wind blowing steadily and coldly from the south a very brisk afternoons sail with only a couple of capsizes. Several 'new' boats sailed for the first time by new owners and a couple of our promising juniors allocated donated and refurbished Impulse dingys.

Impulses? Nice boats. One of our members turned up with his new Impulse for the first time last weekend and squeeked home with a win by about 30cm. He's already planning a new sail. He is also a multiple world champ and an Olympic medallist. Pigeons, meet cat.

I hope your eye heals up properly and quickly Gaz

The brain just has to realize it's got something better to work with than it's had for the last 63 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Impulses? Nice boats. One of our members turned up with his new Impulse for the first time last weekend and squeeked home with a win by about 30cm. He's already planning a new sail. He is also a multiple world champ and an Olympic medallist. Pigeons, meet cat.
    Members? On your dam?
    Rick

Quick visit to Redwing today and I have to say the modified pulpit makes getting on and off so much more safer to do.

I'm sorry to hear of your various ills fellers.
    Our club pre-season tidy up day 3 consisted of half a dozen ladders and a dozen men with paint brushes.
    Afterwards with a 15-20kt wind blowing steadily and coldly from the south a very brisk afternoons sail with only a couple of capsizes. Several 'new' boats sailed for the first time by new owners and a couple of our promising juniors allocated donated and refurbished Impulse dingys.
    Had a Zoom meeting yesterday with a bunch of ladies and laddies from down your way. Rotary mob. They'd heard about our Food for the Needy program and asked for an update. We ended it after 83 days, with near on 15,000 free meals delivered to the down and outs in our city after the arrival of Covid. Not a money-raising exercise, just a sit-rep on what life's like for the fringe dwellers.

Local primary school and scout group have a mobile kitchen, been producing boxed meals but not for their local area, we have no cases current and have had only one, a visitor. Local business, whilst truncated, is still operating in a limited manner.

Was dealing with a tree that's been down for a month or two, half way through a big sectioon chainsaw just stops. Managed to extract it but it will not start again………..so far. Very humid here, big rain forecast. Oh well……...

Was dealing with a tree that's been down for a month or two, half way through a big sectioon chainsaw just stops. Managed to extract it but it will not start again………..so far. Very humid here, big rain forecast. Oh well……...

Just stay safe.

I bought a new 235mm blade for my saw bench yesterday. I'd forgotten just how nice a sharp new blade is...like a hot knife through butter.

Half tree dealt with but tower will be needed for rest. Big rain came, flooded at the back of the house and shorted out our power supply. Did some emergency drainage and we've moved to other place. Elc.Tec. says that it will be OK when water goes down somewhat, which it likely has done by now.
    The clay is so full of water that in places you can just push your arm down into the ground. Quite weird.
    I think I'll broach another bottle now, nothing on tele but football tonight…ugh….

Howdy guys,

Just glancing up this page and it sounds like everybody's had some sort of disaster! Hope you're getting healthier quickly, Bruce and Gary!

My own health isn't great so I've been paying a mate to sort out my boats, which is killing my bank account. However, I just had a win - bought some epoxy cheap. Real cheap. Cheap enough to ship across the country and still save a packet if anybody wants some. And lots of it. Like 15 x 20L kits. More than I need! (Bruce/Wizbang would probably say, only just enough. )
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Howdy guys,

Just glancing up this page and it sounds like everybody's had some sort of disaster! Hope you're getting healthier quickly, Bruce and Gary!

My own health isn't great so I've been paying a mate to sort out my boats, which is killing my bank account. However, I just had a win - bought some epoxy cheap. Real cheap. Cheap enough to ship across the country and still save a packet if anybody wants some. And lots of it. Like 15 x 20L kits. More than I need! (Bruce/Wizbang would probably say, only just enough. )

Cheap epoxy is a win John. I hope your health improves mate.

As for me, I'm 4 1/2 weeks into a 6 week healing process and it seems to be going well. I'm expecting some rehab and possibly some cartilage trimming later, however I'm pretty mobile already. I think I'm getting out of this lightly. The biggest damage so far is to my faith in the local hospital processes.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Nice catch on the epoxy John, that'll make things much less stressfull.

Thinking of thickening it with anything in particular? I used talc powder to thicken epoxy many years ago - for a kayak. Got the tip from Nick Shades book. I wonder if any fine powder could do the job - chemically inert of course.

Not sure if i ever showed this here;
    IMG_2140.jpg
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Expecting possible hail and strong winds so I've been put up shade cloth over the car. It's attached to the 4 posts that will, when I'm allowed to do stuff, support a proper roof over the car.

Wow, Trevor, that's a piece of art!

On thickening, we're using fumed silica, which I am told makes the resin a glue, whereas microballoons or other thickeners are merely fillers, so they essentially weaken the end product.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Nice catch on the epoxy John, that'll make things much less stressfull.

Thinking of thickening it with anything in particular? I used talc powder to thicken epoxy many years ago - for a kayak. Got the tip from Nick Shades book. I wonder if any fine powder could do the job - chemically inert of course.

Not sure if i ever showed this here;
    IMG_2140.jpg

Nice work! What model is it? I once half finished a Guillemot and someone wanted it enough to swap his old Mercedes for it. It's now in Mystic, Connecticut USA

Love the kayak - great work!
    Rick

Beautifuk day here, sunny and warm, the eastelis we've had for some days changed to ther SW about 12.am. Rain and thunderstorms forecast yesterday seem to be staying well north of us. Good thing, the place is still wet.
    YC opening day/delayed AGM/first race tomorrow. Lets hope said thunderstorms do not appear then.

Big storm coming and its got lottsa red in it.

Some $2 coin sized hail but dodged a bullet so far. Tennis ball sized further north.

Over the border.
    big hailstone.jpg

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Nice work! What model is it? I once half finished a Guillemot....
    Yeah its a Guillemot double.
    I never got much use out of it, i built it to learn the building technique. I sold it to a guy in Melbourne.
    Up close, the glassing wasn't great...

The design was a little light up front, could have done with a bit more buoyancy in the nose; cutting through waves made for a wet paddle.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I can't contain myself so I am going to share. Our Jamie is producing Into The Woods here in SA at the Botanical Gardens. Five performances over four days, each one has 200 tickets. There's around 50 tickets left in total, three shows total sell outs, one with a handful of tickets left, and one with a few more. There's still five days to sell the few left.

Boat content: Jamie owned Nanjera, and was the first to sail Arawana with me as I was arriving in Adelaide. We caught up on the beach at Largs and we did the last mile or so to North Haven Marina together.

Excellent Bruce!!
    Rick

Four out of five shows sold out now. Less than 50 tickets left, all of those left being for a matinee on Saturday. Opening night tomorrow and a good review should see the matinee sell out as well.

There won't be enough profit for Jamie to buy a wooden boat but it will finance the next show in January.

fantastic Bruce! I have some recordings of Into The Woods when we did it at the school i work at. It's a great production to be involved in. One of my favourites and Ive done sound for over 20 musicals.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn