Page 1424 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 424924132413741414142314241425 LastLast
Results 49,806 to 49,840 of 49855

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I don't know about online, it's Boating NZ, our only local monthly magazine. I thought it might be for sale there, if so it's worth the price of admission this month.
    Stand outs for me were the big windows, no shutters, confirmed the front hatch blew open, confirmed the saloon windows blew outwards which confirms to me they down flooded after the knockdown and that they had a cockpit full of water with only one place to go.ie , downstairs.
    2 to 3 cubic metres/tons of water free surface effect in the cabin in a boat pitching and rolling radically seems enough to me to punch out a hatch and large windows.
    But one other point was made about why they were where they were and why they hadn't run in to hide . Something that is my personal hate and learnt the hard way, I've ranted about it here after my own experience 8 years ago on passage to Tonga.
    That is touchscreens on chart plotters. Their primary plotter was unusable because it kept firing off location as it got spray on it. Because of that they did not have the confidence to make a closer course and potentially hide behind an island , or make an alternative harbour.

Interesting! This may be a dumb question but couldn't they have got their position off the screen and then just used a paper chart for navigating to shelter? From your description I assume they just couldn't get an accurate position, or was it that they knew where they were but did not have any usable charts?

I admit that we don't have a plotter at the moment; we use an ipad with charts, and have a roll of paper charts. For Cat 3 racing we need a "permanently attached" GPS so I was just going to be a cheapass and get a cheap fishing GPS/depthfinder, which has the advantage that you can build a separate battery and mount and put the unit on the dinghy so that it can be used to lead the yacht into dodgy anchorages.

There has been a few bits of the missing boat from Granite Island wash up just the SE side of the Murray mouth. Personal gear from the missing skipper was found separately on the beach near there. The search has been called off. Conditions have been truly horrible there since before he went missing this time. Such a rotten shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

It is. I'd still like to know how he came to be out there in those conditions. Broke away, dragged or went gung ho? And why did he leave the wharf at all? Given the circumstances, I find it hard to see that anyone would have sent him off the wharf, or could that happen there? There will be an inquest so we may find out what happened. Or not.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

As I'm on light duties I've been doing things like tallying up totals from my Marine rescue logbooks from the 7 years I volunteered for.
    So:
    Hours on the water : 1195.8
    Training sessions/days: 226
    Rescues (medical and MOBs etc: 5
    Number of vessels towed: 40 (ranging from an inflatable to an 80 tonne trawler)
    Assists (flat battery etc but also includes search and rescue where we were not the recovery vessel): 12
    Spreading ashes at sea: 6
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Wouldn't it be fun to `pair' this with someone else's yacht:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bict...ote/1257430716
    Rick

That’s a wicked thought!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    It is. I'd still like to know how he came to be out there in those conditions. Broke away, dragged or went gung ho? And why did he leave the wharf at all? Given the circumstances, I find it hard to see that anyone would have sent him off the wharf, or could that happen there? There will be an inquest so we may find out what happened. Or not.
    Well the bloke that ended up on the reef at Point Nepean around April was given a real hard time. He was from Tassy and bought the h28 here and had done some work on it but then was told to leave Williamstown. After a stay at Queenscliff he was told to leave during the first lockdown. So off he went towards tassy but had engine trouble. The yacht wasn’t too damaged but the Parks nearly sunk it after dragging it off the reef and once back at queenscliff he was left so the wooden boat shop boys gave him a hand, emptied the water from the Diesel engine and gave him a spot in their yard so he could repair the yacht again. He has given her the full work over and with a bit of luck and work will be back in the water by Christmas.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

At least in Port Phillip Bay there are other options. But from Victor Harbour in a big SW system? No other options. I can't help thinking that he made the call himself to go. I just find it hard to imagine that anyone would have sent him away from that wharf at that time.
    Rick

I think he dragged anchor looking at the wind direction on that morning and given the phone call to police at 5am off Granite Is. If he then drifted he would have ended up somewhere around the river mouth. Maybe he got the motor going but couldn't make headway against the wind so went with it. It must have started to break up or sunk a distance off the beach otherwise he could have gotten himself ashore.

Bruce Cockburn

According to the BOM the seas were 4-5m so the surf around Goolwa would have been big and breaking a long way out, I think. That boat didn't look like anything you could surf onto a beach in so I can imagine it being swamped by any breaking wave.
    Rick

Happy days, I've broken my leg. Got bowled over by dogs and busted my right tibia.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Bugger! Sorry to hear it Bruce!!! Can only hope it heals quickly! I busted my leg a few years ago so I know how much fun it isn't. Did they put a plate in or plaster it?
    Rick

ouch! sorry to hear that Bruce.

Bruce Cockburn

Bugger is right, same thing happened to a friend here too just yesterday.

Heck Bruce, you don't do things by halves do you?
    ope the recovery is quick.
    Cast or walking brace?

Tibia is only half the lower leg. Got to watch out for those dogs.

Got a brace on my leg and a walking frame. Three years ago I just finished a solo trip from Qld to SA.

The break has been confirmed as being undetached, so it's really a crack not a separation. Like a 316ss thru-deck chainplate I guess. The pain has been terrible but has been reduced a lot by the leg brace.

I live to sail another day by the look of things.

That kind of break probably hurts more. Mine was a spiral fracture, tibia and fibia, but didn't hurt at all until about an hour and a half later. Hjrt a bit then though. The ankle was also sprained and I think that actually hurt more over the next few weeks. A brace instead of a cast! That's good, especially with the warm weather coming. Glad it's not soooo bad - still a bummer!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Happy days, I've broken my leg. Got bowled over by dogs and busted my right tibia.

Thats no good Bruce .

Questin needs to be asked ď Who let the dogs out Wolf Wolf ď

Glad to hear there was no displacement, sorry to hear about the break. This should heal fairly quickly...but ya gotta let ​it. Be good to it

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Glad to hear there was no displacement, sorry to hear about the break. This should heal fairly quickly...but ya gotta let ​it. Be good to it

Good advice. My leg is telling me the same. After spending hours being an impatient patient in Out Patients yesterday I harvested honey and ran around like wind-up cymbal monkey. Today's plan is to do a bit of SFA.

End of first week post cataract and there is some improvement in vision. Nice to know the vision will get better with time.

Good news Gary.

And better news down here. It seems that as a result of our single case of covid still running we may have an almost normal sailing season. Most of the fleet is single handed dingys and small cats, and the few multi's are family boats.
    We've had a few days casual sailing already, and the first of our normal maintenance days on the clubrooms, compound, etc is on Sunday. Rescue boats and trailers had a thorough going over in winter, but our usual crew protocol of a driver, an observer and a jumper may have to be looked at.

I'm finding it a bit hard not doing stuff. Actually paid a mate to put up 4 m of guttering on the shed and connect it to the new water tank.

Thar she blows the crew up on the foredeck looking out for spouts. Unfortunately we didn’t manage any close encounters.
    66C6117B-2223-4796-BF68-B40ACF95975C.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Thar she blows the crew up on the foredeck looking out for spouts. Unfortunately we didnít manage any close encounters.
    66C6117B-2223-4796-BF68-B40ACF95975C.jpg
    Damned envious Tom.

1st pre season maintenance day today. Usual stuff, fencing, trees and scrub, mowing the compound, ejecting a snake, parts list for a couple of donated Impulses. Then a spread out but serious meeting re how sailing days will be managed. Outside lunches, the bar maybe, retrieval of boats on a high tide when we have no beach, or very little. Change rooms and shower disinfection twice a day, It'll be different and subject to overnight changes as the State allows, but we count ourselves fortunate to have a season at all. All we need now is some friendly weather.

Ok I require some Expert opinions .

Bought this funky gaff rig with what appeared to be an older spar that first appeared not to have been shaped properly,
    While restoring and rounding to the best of my ability I also plugged 4 sets of opposing holes between the bolsters and the mast head and noticed the masthead fabricated roughly in Oregon
    There is a noticeable bend in the mast as would be the case with a squarish or rectangular spar that could have come from a let’s say 25 foot Folk boat that’s been cut shorter.

The Question I have when looking at Jim’s Oregon mast and the much lighter coloured gaff spar did I possibly end up with a Sitka Spruce mast, and boom?? .

The gaff jaws where fabricated amateurish in Silky oak.

EF9B7090-2A59-409B-911A-F410AF5564BB.jpgEF9B7090-2A59-409B-911A-F410AF5564BB.jpg
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-04-2020 at 10:03 PM.

No I’ve decided Oregon after all.

Nothing wrong with silky oak for that application, Tom.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Nothing wrong with silky oak for that application, Tom.
    Quite right I like silky oak and it provides a nice contrast next to the spars.
    Im in the process of tuning up Jim and then getting to know that rig better because last place is not something I enjoy very much.
    Also just waiting for the right conditions in order to cross our bar at Currumbin and get her out in the big blue sailing up to SOUTHPORT.
    BELOW Jim in the foreground preparing for the Tweed Passage

7B88C209-8FF3-4821-B45A-498A2D9B2ADB.jpg

WA border closed and a 14 quarantine requirement in place it looks like my big trip to WA is on hold indefinitely.
    So, I'm thinking a sailing trip up to Boatworks on the Coomera River might be a good idea in November. Redwing needs a haulout out and Boatworks is not only value for money but it puts me close to Moreton Bay.

Hello WX, I have not heard any bad comment on Boatworks. If we were in southern Queensland we also would slip our yacht at this place

Bruce

Gary's already fairly familiar with Boatworks
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    WA border closed and a 14 quarantine requirement in place it looks like my big trip to WA is on hold indefinitely.
    So, I'm thinking a sailing trip up to Boatworks on the Coomera River might be a good idea in November. Redwing needs a haulout out and Boatworks is not only value for money but it puts me close to Moreton Bay.

I know it has been three + years now but please give the main office staff my best wishes.