Page 1423 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 423923132313731413142214231424 ... LastLast
Results 49,771 to 49,805 of 49855

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

L1010161.jpgHello Tom, Yes it is home made but to a design provided by the designer of the Vertue, Laurent Giles and Parteners in the UK. A bit hard to see in this photo but it operates a trim tabon the trailing edge of the main rudder. Bruce

119700499_192974842229867_1369509267020079126_n~2.jpg
    Peter's daughter Elle shared this photo on Facebook and I thought I'd share it here.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Thanks Elle and Gary. Handsome feller back then.

Sailed the Sabre Sunday. fluky, gusty NW swinging about with patches of absolute calm. Not fun really.

Does it sound too harsh if I say I'm not feeling as sorry for this guy as I did the last couple of times? I do hope he's okay but I think maybe he should take up golf.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...nking/12688040
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

The SAR aircraft from Melbourne did a grid search this arvo and looks like they found him off the Murray River mouth 10 or so NM. The circled that area for an hour then headed to Adelaide airport. There are two SAR boats from Victor Harbour on their way.

He might try to ride a wave in through the rivermouth......??
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I just read on the seabreeze forum that a lifejacket and wreckage where spotted. Doesn't sound promising.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Bruce Cockburn

25 - 30 knots SW in that area today, from a low that's been known for days. Why was he out there at all, in that boat?
    Rick

And 5-6m sea.
    Rick

He either got caught in a runout tide or he has a death wish. Outside that rivermouth in these conditions? Just horrible!
    Rick

It makes no sense to make a run for it from his anchorage at Victor Harbour. I'm wondering if his anchor was dragging in the harbour as he called the police at 5am saying he was off Granite Island and the hull was knee deep in water. The boat may have gone down somewhere off Granite Island not long after and some of the wreckage was blown all the way to the area they are now searching.

Bruce Cockburn

Where was he when he was stuck on a sandbar a couple of days ago?
    Rick

Okay, I looked it up. He got off the sandbar and was tied up at a wharf on Granite Is. So where was he going last night? Or had he anchored out (as above) and dragged or broke away from the wharf or? An earlier report said, I think, that he was about 10 miles out but the ABC seems to have removed that info now. You'd expect that if he was dragged away from Granite Is, he would have just washed into the maelstrom off Goolwa.
    Rick

At first i thought he was on the jetty but read later he was on the anchor out from the jetty. The SAR airc=raft was holding an unusual pattern there for a while, half an hour ago.

Bruce Cockburn

The article about him stuck on the sandbar said he went to the jetty after the tide came in and they had a photo of him tied up to the wharf. I wonder why he then anchored out? Especially as he said in the article that he didn't have a dinghy.

So the SAR are still out there looking? Seems amazing if the seas are as rough as they're supposed to be and it's late at night. Where are you getting the tracking data Hallam?
    Rick

From the marine traffic app that shows AIS data. I use it for when I’m out in the bay at night or in fog and I’m crossing the shipping Chanel etc
    maybe he had to anchor off the pier as there was too much surge when there’s a swell running or perhaps he wasn’t allowed to stay on the pier??

Bruce Cockburn

Thanks, I didn't realise you could see aircraft on the Marine Traffuc app.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    L1010161.jpgHello Tom, Yes it is home made but to a design provided by the designer of the Vertue, Laurent Giles and Parteners in the UK. A bit hard to see in this photo but it operates a trim tabon the trailing edge of the main rudder. Bruce
    Thats exactly what should be on the back of WB rudder.

It certainly looks like the guy off Granite Is is lost at sea. The article I just read quotes his friend saying that the guy was copping a lot of negative commentary and that he thinks he may have tried to head for the Murray Mouth to get away from it all. The friend also says the 'authorities' shouldn't have left him at Victor Harbour. The mayor of Alexandrina says that wooden boats often leak and the leaking is exacerbated by rough seas.

Well, every time I've been involved in or been close to any news item, I've been astounded at and disappointed by the inaccuracy of reporting. This event is probably no different so who knows what really happened. It's very sad and I hate to think what happened to this guy in the end but I will say that every time these things happen, it makes things harder for those of us involved with old wooden boats. I really love seeing people launching adventures, saving old boats etc. and hate the idea of more and more regulation. But incidents like this one will lead inevitably to greater regulation and/or greater reluctance on the part of rescuers to go all out to rescue people who break the mould.
    Rick

Not looking good at all, sad no matter what.

Similar but different, some may remember the loss of the Essence 3 days after we got in from Fiji a year ago. One of the crew has written up the event and rescue over two issues in Boating NZ. August and September. If you get an opportunity to read them both and particularly the current issue I'd say it's worth it.
    Extremely well written ,transparent and informative.

Can't get those articles online. Highlights?
    Rick

I read the comments on the Adelaide Advertiser Facebook page and there is so much nasty negative and ignorant commentary it almost makes me sick. I listened to a short online interview by a journalist and there where young adults jeering him in the background. As a kid in Protland I remember blokes giving a down and out fisherman a hand with his boat....that community spirit is not extended to the likes of Tony Higgins these days.
    Here is my tribute song for him by Jackson Browne.

Bruce Cockburn

Well, thanks Hallam - it's horrible to think of him being hounded like that. I just wish he'd stayed at the wharf. We get plenty of odd boats and some odd skippers doing some odd things around here and they get plenty of help when they need it. I think there's still plenty of good community spirit around, really.

I've never used Facebook and don't intend to start. I don't hear much to recommend it!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Not looking good at all, sad no matter what.

Similar but different, some may remember the loss of the Essence 3 days after we got in from Fiji a year ago. One of the crew has written up the event and rescue over two issues in Boating NZ. August and September. If you get an opportunity to read them both and particularly the current issue I'd say it's worth it.
    Extremely well written ,transparent and informative.
    I don't know about online, it's Boating NZ, our only local monthly magazine. I thought it might be for sale there, if so it's worth the price of admission this month.
    Stand outs for me were the big windows, no shutters, confirmed the front hatch blew open, confirmed the saloon windows blew outwards which confirms to me they down flooded after the knockdown and that they had a cockpit full of water with only one place to go.ie , downstairs.
    2 to 3 cubic metres/tons of water free surface effect in the cabin in a boat pitching and rolling radically seems enough to me to punch out a hatch and large windows.
    But one other point was made about why they were where they were and why they hadn't run in to hide . Something that is my personal hate and learnt the hard way, I've ranted about it here after my own experience 8 years ago on passage to Tonga.
    That is touchscreens on chart plotters. Their primary plotter was unusable because it kept firing off location as it got spray on it. Because of that they did not have the confidence to make a closer course and potentially hide behind an island , or make an alternative harbour.
    Last edited by John B; 09-23-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Tricky sailing around coral reefs.

Finally got my cataract surgery done. Vision is still blurred but colours are brighter and sharper.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I don't know about online, it's Boating NZ, our only local monthly magazine. I thought it might be for sale there, if so it's worth the price of admission this month.
    Stand outs for me were the big windows, no shutters, confirmed the front hatch blew open, confirmed the saloon windows blew outwards which confirms to me they down flooded after the knockdown and that they had a cockpit full of water with only one place to go.ie , downstairs.
    2 to 3 cubic metres/tons of water free surface effect in the cabin in a boat pitching and rolling radically seems enough to me to punch out a hatch and large windows.
    But one other point was made about why they were where they were and why they hadn't run in to hide . Something that is my personal hate and learnt the hard way, I've ranted about it here after my own experience 8 years ago on passage to Tonga.
    That is touchscreens on chart plotters. Their primary plotter was unusable because it kept firing off location as it got spray on it. Because of that they did not have the confidence to make a closer course and potentially hide behind an island , or make an alternative harbour.
    Thanks - I get the picture. My plotter is a hybrid so it has knobs and a touchscreen. I got it because I thought a touchscreen might be useless with wet fingers. I didn't think of spray! I'd better test it - somewhere safe!
    Rick

I bought a 2nd hand "redundant" siewa marlin plotter at a very good price, the model just before touchscreens. Now i'm reassured i did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, thanks Hallam - it's horrible to think of him being hounded like that. I just wish he'd stayed at the wharf. We get plenty of odd boats and some odd skippers doing some odd things around here and they get plenty of help when they need it. I think there's still plenty of good community spirit around, really.

I've never used Facebook and don't intend to start. I don't hear much to recommend it!
    I must say I have found the other wooden boaties around here very generous in their support of myself and others in our endeavours to keep old boats in good nick and seaworthy, the purchase of the marlin plotter being just one example.

Bruce Cockburn

Have any Aussies dealt with Outback Marine? Just wondering if they’re ok and/or is there another similar company in Aus that offers electrical system design.

The Wooden Boatshop in Sorrento does electrical system design. They do the design for the boats they build like the Shearwater 38; Shearwater 38 - Wooden Boat Shop and network with Mal Heart who builds the pilot boats. I am a friend of their shipwright Wayne Parr so I might be a bit biased but they do a top quality job. They have also developed a system with lithium batteries that they say although initially more expensive, works out cheaper over the lifetime of the batteries.Either was lithium or standard batteries, this includes solar panels and the oz fridge installation with a minimum 5 inch thick coolbox. I have seen these installations and they can run the fridge permanently on over summer with solar charging alone keeping the batteries on full charge.

Bruce Cockburn

I've run a freezer permanently on since 2015. I might have turned it off for a couple of months in 19.

What sort of freezer JB and what panels do you have?
    Rick

Just a fridge tech kit. Basically a danfoss pump and plate I retrofitted into the old freezer. I avoided the type that takes seawater from a through hull fitting, I can't see how it's possible to keep the tube clear of barnacles or growth. Anyway, it works all winter here and all season in the tropics fine.
    Most people just buy a waeco and make a fitted space for it these days. Super efficient.

Which is what I intend to do but I'm always interested to hear of other ways. Masina's never had any fridge.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Thanks - I get the picture. My plotter is a hybrid so it has knobs and a touchscreen. I got it because I thought a touchscreen might be useless with wet fingers. I didn't think of spray! I'd better test it - somewhere safe!
    I had a lot of trouble using the touchscreens on the Marine Rescue boatshed if my fingers were wet.