Page 1422 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 422922132213721412142114221423 ... LastLast
Results 49,736 to 49,770 of 49855

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Then there's Festool - I've owned two Festool tools, a Rotex sander and a vacuum. Both cost a fortune, bought in a moment of madness and flushness. The sander crapped out after a few years of very little and really gentle use. The vacuum continues to do what vacuums do - no more or less what vacuums for less than 1/3 the price do. I buy Bosch and Makita power tools, I just bought a really good Karcher vacuum/dust extractor for $199, and for some reason I have a couple of Hitachi circular saws that have always been fine. I don't think I'll ever understand why people pay a fortune for Festool. The Makita sander I bought to replace it does a better job, cost about 1/3 the price and I'm pretty sure it'll actually last.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    This track saw deal looks pretty good: https://sydneytools.com.au/product/b...hoC6B8QAvD_BwE
    That looks like a rebranded version of Epoxyboy's. They seem like good value for money.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

This track saw deal looks pretty good: https://sydneytools.com.au/product/b...hoC6B8QAvD_BwE

Yes that looks like the sort of thing. I'll see if I can find someone in Adelaide to sell me one. Thanks.

PS the batten thing didn't work for me. The saw kept climbing up away from the batten. It might be that I'm chasing rainbows but if I can get this bevel cut thing happening easily and quickly I may have a supplementary seasonal income, doing something I am enjoying. I appreciate all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

For a one-off, I'd persevere with the board and batten combo. But if you're planning a production schedule, the track saw looks like the way to go to me! There might even be a Sydney Tools in Adelaide. There's one in Newcastle and we hate anything to do with Sydney.
    Rick

No, nothing in Adelaide. Lots in Melbourne and Brisbane though - their marketing department must be insane!
    Rick

Bruce, if those bevel cuts are something you want to do repeatedly, could you arrange two pieces of aluminium channel into a frame that captures the edges of the handheld circ. saw base? My dad had a homemade jig like this about a metre long which he used for years and years with a 7-1/4" Makita saw in it. Worked like a charm.

Visitor today:

20200913_140450.jpg
    Rick

That is exactly the saw I have, under the Toolshed brand here in unzud. And selling for twice that price, which was still hundreds less than anything else. At $200, I'd say it is good value for money, miles better than here! They are a bit plastic-y and light, but I can't fault the result.

Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    That is exactly the saw I have, under the Toolshed brand here in unzud. And selling for twice that price, which was still hundreds less than anything else. At $200, I'd say it is good value for money, miles better than here! They are a bit plastic-y and light, but I can't fault the result.

Pete

Off the top of your head how do you think it would handle a 30 degree bevel cut through 19mm ply?

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I reckon it'd be very tricky off the top of your head!
    Rick

I reckon it'd be very tricky off the top of your head!
    I reckon Bruce would be up for the challenge.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Off the top of his head with his hands tied behind his back. Towel handy.
    Rick

If any Americans see this thread, they're gonna think we're stupid.
    Rick

Visitor today:

20200913_140450.jpg
    Beauty is subjective, I know, but that is a very ugly poodle.

I don't give a numbat's nuts what they think if they think we're stupid. Anyone with any brains at all would KNOW we're stupid.

A propos of nothing, I met a bloke the other day who knew my Dad back in the day. I was wearing my Lesser Boomerang Challenge shirt and we got to talking about boats like the one on the shirt. I told him I'd built a Scamp. So to try to one up me he said he'd seen an idiot anchored in a Scamp off Largs overnight in 20 knots, and in the morning he'd got up, made coffee and eggs and didn't even chuck it up!

It's amazing how eloquent a bloke can be with a single raised eyebrow and a wry smile. So he got me back with a silent hands-in-pockets and slow head shake.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    They are the only poodle with fur that can stick through a mainsail cover when you're picking them up off the freeway to take to the vet for a checkup.

(And of course one has a mainsail cover or something similar in the back of the car at all times. A car is, after all, merely a means to transport boats, boards and bikes and their bits.)

Our local echidna wandered up the porch one morning and inspected the wooden windows carefully, then shook its head in sadness and rolled away. I assume that means we don't have any termite problem.

Wait! I'm an American and I thought it was the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I don't give a numbat's nuts what they think if they think we're stupid. Anyone with any brains at all would KNOW we're stupid.

A propos of nothing, I met a bloke the other day who knew my Dad back in the day. I was wearing my Lesser Boomerang Challenge shirt and we got to talking about boats like the one on the shirt. I told him I'd built a Scamp. So to try to one up me he said he'd seen an idiot anchored in a Scamp off Largs overnight in 20 knots, and in the morning he'd got up, made coffee and eggs and didn't even chuck it up!

It's amazing how eloquent a bloke can be with a single raised eyebrow and a wry smile. So he got me back with a silent hands-in-pockets and slow head shake.

That reminds me of my uncle who died of exhaustion trying to get rid of his kid's boomerang.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Wait! I'm an American and I thought it was the other way around
    So it is!
    Rick

Oh, I will never say anything nice about a kiwi again! Or those lazy, fat parrots!

Should you ever have the privilege of seeing an echidna up close in the wild (or a Sydney backyard), you will be astounded by their beauty and strength!

And should you ever, like Chris, find yourself in the position of rescuing one from the road, you will come to REALLY understand their strength! because the little buggers have an amazing ability to cling onto the road! Removing them is no mean feat! It takes multiple layers of towels, cardboard and whatever other crap you have cluttering up the wagon to wrap them in so that you don't end up looking like a crucifixion model as you prise them out of the road.
    Rick

Echidna!
    Pardon me, it's just a winter sniffle.
    Seriously though, that would be a cool thing to see, roughly what size?
    We have lots of Aussie imports around our house, but they're red and green with feathers, whistle a lot.

Also two gum trees.
    And some other variety we refer to as 'those Aussie nut trees'.
    And Ricks shorts of course, let's not forget them.
    Last edited by John B; 09-14-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Echidna!
    Pardon me, it's just a winter sniffle.
    Seriously though, that would be a cool thing to see, roughly what size?
    We have lots of Aussie imports around our house, but they're red and green with feathers, whistle a lot.

Also two gum trees.
    And some other variety we refer to as 'those Aussie nut trees'.
    And Ricks shorts of course, let's not forget them.
    Good stuff keep importing we need a new trading partner willing to buy our commodities.

Off to the boat today to do some work.

Macadamias?

Echidnas are about the size of a basketball. The one above is about the biggest I've seen. Bigger than a basketball.
    Rick

Swiss ball?

When I say 'nut tree' I mean it in a bottle brush small hard thing you wouldn't want shot at you kind of way. I don't think they have much in the way of redeeming features about them , they may even be for the chopping block should they annoy me. So they've got the message and just shut up, try to blend in, stay out of my face.
    Fortunately for them I like the two big gums though. People urge me to eradicate them via stihl, but I'm fond of them, silvery flaky bark things that they are. Awww.

Hang on a minute, those black wattle trees that are the curse of Northland and our place in partikalar, those are from AU too aren't they? And monkey apple/acmena/lilly pilly? Don't tell me....
    Last edited by John B; 09-14-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Not that big, thankfully!

Small nuts on a bottlebrush sounds like a calistemon, of which there are many varieties. Hard to imagine calistemons being problematic anywhere but that's the nature of so many species when they become exotic. Calistemons are really beautiful in their proper places, as are gum trees. Gum trees have become a massive problem in the USA.
    Rick

Lillipillis too? I don't know what those other ones are.
    Rick

Anyway, instead of moaning about the species you did get, you could be more grateful that we didn't send you some of our others. We have some doozies!
    Rick

Monkey apple ,acmena and lilly pilly are the same thing, people know them as different names.The problem with them is their reproduction rate, they're the rabbits of trees. .
    Black wattle is the other one, great long rangy things ,shallow rooted , gets dangerous.
    We have a nice Morton bay fig! In fact shortly I'll be knocking down some of our natives to give it more room, now there's a turn up for the books.
    Last edited by John B; 09-14-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Off the top of your head how do you think it would handle a 30 degree bevel cut through 19mm ply?

Those doors are 45mm thick laminated marine ply, trimmed to finished size with the tracksaw. It was working a bit hard, but never got stinky hot smelling or anything. 19mm ply won't bother it in the slightest.

Pete
    Like a miracle, all the trolls disappeared

It's a pity black wattle is such a pest there. The wattles are really valuable here and a boon to have in your garden. That's because most Aust soils are old, leeched and lacking in nitrogen. The wattles actually take nitrogen and distribute it into surrounding soil, benefitting other plants. There are well over a thousand species of wattles in Oz and lots of lillipilis too. You can make lillipilli jam. But I think it's horrible.
    Rick

20200916_091911.jpgAt last we have our new spray dodger, hope it will last as long as the previous one, 14 years and locally made

Looks good Bruce! I'll grill you later on who, what clear material and cost!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    20200916_091911.jpgAt last we have our new spray dodger, hope it will last as long as the previous one, 14 years and locally made
    That is one nicely fitted dodger. Is that a homemade wind vane Bruce?