Page 1420 of 1427 FirstFirst ... 420920132013701410141914201421 ... LastLast
Results 49,666 to 49,700 of 49938

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Phil seems to be flat out like a black snake on bitumen at the moment. He may be out if jail but I wonder if he'll have the time to come back.

His photos show that his shoulder is healing well. At least I assume that's the case by the 'rounding up the stock on a motorbike' and 'hoiking bluddy great loaves of bread from the oven' photos. I saw one of him on Balia too, but it looked like he was convalescing and not fixing. Good.

No doubt there are cunning plans in his head. I'll try to keep an eye open, but there's no way I'll intervene if I catch him hoisting the main and loosing to leads. I'll tell him you say hello.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What sort of crumby excuse is baking!!?? Tell him to get his arse back here quick smart!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

He's turned into the sourdough king of Adelaide, I get hungry just looking at the pictures and the same if I think about it....er, must rush off...

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    He's turned into the sourdough king of Adelaide, I get hungry just looking at the pictures and the same if I think about it....er, must rush off...
    Where are these pictures? Is this a Faceplant thing?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Where are these pictures? Is this a Faceplant thing?
    Shur izsh., chew,..

Got vegemite on my eyebrow now.

Hmm ...

A friend in Sydney's gotten right into this sourdough thang. The product looks great! He's threatening to visit, equipped with starter (that's a biological thing) and present a LESSON He says a Dutch oven is required. I priced a Dutch oven - about $400!!! This plan has a major problem apart from the $400 Dutch oven - here in our part-time home city, we're surrounded by excellent sourdough bakeries which provide (a) fantastic bread and (b) an excuse to go out and buy great coffee and fresh croissants. Home baking leaves me with (potentially) good bread, passable coffee and NO croissants!! So why would I do such a foolish thing? Oh, a foolish thing ....., hmm, maybe I will see if the Dutch oven supplier will bargain .....

Back to boats and Dutch ovens - when stocking up for our BIG trip across the Tasman, our recently departed friend Mike insisted on including a cast iron oveny thing so that he could make damper, and flour. Okay, we said, that sounds nice! Once at sea, we discovered that it had been many moons since Mike had attempted damper and, it's fair to say, he'd lost his touch. The evidence for this harsh criticism was a cloud of choking smoke emerging from the companionway and some swearing. This was followed by scraping noises and assurances that the innards would be edible, albeit smoky and rustic. They were smoky and rustic. So, a further attempt was made following a recovery period of a day or two. This resulted in a little less smoke and swearing and and more innards, bordering on edible (although some of us considered permanent constipation a real possibly - not that constipation is such a bad thing when you only have a bucket at sea on a tender yacht but the prospect of permanency causes uncomfortable pondering, especially during night watches). The second attempt was also accompanied by the new owner of the boat attempting to cook the fish he'd just caught (in the face of much haw hawing about the prospect of catching any fish in the middle of the ocean). So the new owner commenced dying from smoke inhalation. Our enthusiasm for damper was waning. Probably why they call it a damper. Aaanyway, following a more extended period of recovery and an assurance from the new owner that any repeat of previous attempts would result in the cast iron oveny thing sleeping with the fishes, a third attempt was made, and, happily, enough touch was regained so that damper was enjoyed (okay, I'm being a little kind here) for a day or two and the oveny thing was saved. Since then, the oveny thing has been resurrected as SWMBO's preferred pan for making risotto on board, which, without being kind at all, is delicious! The question I have now, being a stingy soul, is whether passable sourdough requires a ridiculously expensive enamelled Dutch oven at $400 or tyhe cast iron oven thing that I already have on the boat? Now, I happen to know that Phil is a bit stingy too, with respect, so, if for no other reason at all, I think he should at least return to the WBF to answer that important question.
    Rick

I agree, but isn't he still in band camp?

Bruce sayeth nay.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    That is such a good photo Tom. I'd be framing that one.
    Thanks for going easy on me .

I see a multitude of problems the reefing tie in lines which where hastily fitted underway, the creases on the aft leach which was later rectified, the missing part cream slab reefing line which where required by some needy soul along with my prized Makita rechargeable and all my recently purchased drill bits. Suspect a delivery driver.

Worse of all WB over length gaff does not have a large flag hoisted as I only concentrated on potential boat speed rigging prior to both days of racing .Then half my regular crew was prevented from attending with border closures, and the other half arrived fashionably late ,more concerned with food then the need for speed.

Just the same we all enjoyed this fabulous event and ultimately managed good results with a great team effort.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Hmm ...

He says a Dutch oven is required. I priced a Dutch oven - about $400!!!
    Not necessarily, I'd say any heavy pot with a lid would do it. Cast Iron oveny thingy should be perfect. You need the lid, because you have to add water so it steams for the first while, this means the outside doesn't crust as quickly and the bread can rise. Otheriwse its dense and tough.
    Some ovens have a steaming function....

SWMBO has gotten into it, we're enjoying a few loaves a week of really amazing bread. You can buy as good, maybe, but the bread she's making is so good.
    Yesterday, walnut and dried fruit sourdough (amazing!), and her first (reluctant) white flour sourdough - not cracked open yet.

She talks about very active starters and such, but i haven't heard it walking around in the middle of the night yet.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Bruce sayeth nay.

Bruce doesn't know.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Dutch Oven is something you do to someone under a doona apparently. You don't knead one to make sourdough. I make sourdough loaves and lunch rolls and no farting is required.

As for Phil being stingy, he's not a poor baker, he makes a lot of dough.

My lunch rolls.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Not necessarily, I'd say any heavy pot with a lid would do it. Cast Iron oveny thingy should be perfect. You need the lid, because you have to add water so it steams for the first while, this means the outside doesn't crust as quickly and the bread can rise. Otheriwse its dense and tough.
    Some ovens have a steaming function....

SWMBO has gotten into it, we're enjoying a few loaves a week of really amazing bread. You can buy as good, maybe, but the bread she's making is so good.
    Yesterday, walnut and dried fruit sourdough (amazing!), and her first (reluctant) white flour sourdough - not cracked open yet.

She talks about very active starters and such, but i haven't heard it walking around in the middle of the night yet.
    Music to my ears! $400 is much better utilised for boat bits! Like a fridge!
    Rick

Dutch Oven is something you do to someone under a doona apparently. You don't knead one to make sourdough. I make sourdough loaves and lunch rolls and no farting is required.

As for Phil being stingy, he's not a poor baker, he makes a lot of dough.

My lunch rolls.

Phil's absence does have the one advantage that I can say things like 'he's stingy' without any (immediate) consequences. But we don't know if he's still banned or not? I guess I'd better look out - although I do think it's ridiculous that he's banned at all!

Yesterday, we checked out Tui's bum. It's the first time I've seen any Vertue out of the water - what a lovely boat she is! And always great to see Bruce, of course!

There was also a TP 52 in the yard (Zen). They're amazing things.
    Rick

We are being hit by what I think is a violent downdraft at present. Weather and cloud conditions are right and the area is prone.

Wind change predicted and I think it came with that, heavy wind blown rain now.
    All good though so far.

We've just been hit with 40kn from the SW. Rain setting in now but wind easing. I wonder how many boats have parted company with their moorings.

About 100,000 without power from the peninsular to East Melbourne after the storm front passed the coast here this evening. I had a quick look on rain radar small scale and thought it was all clear at 4 pm, so rowed out to my boat to check the bilge pump and tidy her up. After about 3/4 of an hour i looked out to see a huge storm front approach and thought i might be sleeping on the boat for the night!! Luckily the wind abated enough for me t row in at the last of the diminishing light.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Hopefully it blew the damned virus away!
    Rick

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Man what a winter.
    I'm half glad my boat came off when it did. It's just been one pounding after another since February.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Hopefully it blew the damned virus away!
    Into SE QLD it seems.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

And just to keep it really interesting the bushfire season has kicked in up here. Several fires mostly from burnoffs that got away and now a fire at Springbrook on the QLD side.

Guess who spent a WHOLE DAY working on the boat? Yessiree, moi, and what a treat it was! A beautiful day spent frigging around with the windlass installation and some time on a friend's metal lathe making copper bolts (because the ones I make by heating and pounding are TOOOOOOO ugly!). And there'll be more of this tomorrow! I do love a sunny spring day!
    Rick

I'm not sure if it's a secret or not but there's a Basket Range Baker now, and Phil lives in Basket Range. It could be Phil!

Guess who spent a WHOLE DAY working on the boat? Yessiree, moi, and what a treat it was! A beautiful day spent frigging around with the windlass installation and some time on a friend's metal lathe making copper bolts (because the ones I make by heating and pounding are TOOOOOOO ugly!). And there'll be more of this tomorrow! I do love a sunny spring day!
    I'm planning a boat workday on Tuesday.

I'm not sure if it's a secret or not but there's a Basket Range Baker now, and Phil lives in Basket Range. It could be Phil!

It's official. Phil is a baker.

Does he knead the dough?

Anyway, hope it goes well!
    Rick

Does he knead the dough?

Anyway, hope it goes well!

It should go well. The bread and cinnamon scrolls look amazingly good.

It should go well. The bread and cinnamon scrolls look amazingly good.

Liked his page this morning.

They'll be chock full of caveats and take a while to chew through.
    Rick

Our local baker is a geologist. She's tired of jokes about rock cakes so I suggested moon cakes because hardly anyone knows what's really in them. Sometimes, one has to duck.
    Rick

Seven years ago today I sailed a Mirror dinghy named Crackers into a fleet of tall ships off Largs, sailing excitedly headlong into the fleet to greet them as they motorsailed past on their way South to the open sea. I took a sammich and a thermos of hot tea so I could participate appropriately.

Nobody died.

Our local baker is a geologist. She's tired of jokes about rock cakes so I suggested moon cakes because hardly anyone knows what's really in them. Sometimes, one has to duck.
    Cheese scones?...

A good day on Redwing today. New cabin side is top coated and the outboard works. Though it's idling a bit high.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Cheese scones?………………...
    Geode Pies...have to open them up to see what's inside?

Good grief! A few weeks ago I ordered a new jib cover. I leave the jib hanked on flaked and under a loosish cover hung off the forestay, lifeline and a stay. Like an idiot, I didn't get a cost estimate. Today I got the bill - $975!! FMD! I nearly had a heart attack! For a simple sail cover!

Lesson FINALLY learned - do anything you can, yourself!
    Rick