Page 1419 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 419919131913691409141814191420 ... LastLast
Results 49,631 to 49,665 of 49855

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Negative, first time I've been happy to be negative.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I've cut some mounting pads for the pulpit out of a plastic decking board ripped to around 10mm thick. Looking at it as a tufnol substitute.

Should be okay but take a bit of scrap and see if it crushes easily near its edges. If it does, I wouldn't use it. If not, might be fine. You can also make your own pads by laying up fibreglass with poly or epoxy resin, in the same way surfboard fins are made. I'm making a lot of things that way these days and very happy with the results.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Should be okay but take a bit of scrap and see if it crushes easily near its edges. If it does, I wouldn't use it. If not, might be fine. You can also make your own pads by laying up fibreglass with poly or epoxy resin, in the same way surfboard fins are made. I'm making a lot of things that way these days and very happy with the results.
    It's pretty hard stuff, very dense. Next step is to see how well it bonds to glassed plywood.

You don't really need it to bond. Use mastic or a sealant between the deck and the pad, and between the pad and the foot.
    Rick

The boat that washed up on the beach here is not dead yet. The story so far:

It was a free boat with no engine

It was towed by a dinghy northwards in Gulf St Vincent into bad weather

At anchor in the night the tow dinghy broke loose and floated away in strong wind conditions

Police towed the boat back to North Haven

The dinghy was spotted many miles south of Adelaide so the owner left the boat at anchor and drove to retrieve the dinghy

In the owner's absence the boat broke free of the anchor and beached

Several weeks of effort later the boat was freed from the beach and anchored back off the beach

Overnight the boat filled with water and floundered to the gunnels then drifted back to the shallows where it grounded

A samaritan pumped the boat out and towed it into the marina where it now sits tied up, waiting for sufficient funds to be raised to have it craned onto a trailer and trucked north. So far around $1,300 has been raised.

The boat looks like a wooden hulled H28 or similar clone with a cabin that doesn't suit her. The owner is a CFS volunteer who really wants to save the boat but seems to have few resources or experience. If anyone wants details of the fundraiser please pm me for details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Sounds like a very resilent boat.

Blowing like a bastard here. Typical August westerly. Should be good for drying out Gypsie's Seabird. I tried to paint Pipsqueak's topsides in a wind like this a few years ago but the wind kept blowing the paint out of the tray, and I achieved a not-so-nice non-skid finish with Oyster Cove sand/topsoil. Never again!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Sounds like a very resilent boat.

It's still struggling. The delivery trip has been canned due the the deliverer pulling out. A desperate call has gone out for the loan of a big-enough trailer. Meanwhile the masts have been removed ready for a lift.

At this stage I'd be happy to see it become the best chook house in Port Pirie rather than a crushed and burned wreck. The new owner must be in despair.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It's still struggling. The delivery trip has been canned due the the deliverer pulling out. A desperate call has gone out for the loan of a big-enough trailer. Meanwhile the masts have been removed ready for a lift.

At this stage I'd be happy to see it become the best chook house in Port Pirie rather than a crushed and burned wreck. The new owner must be in despair.

It's dead. Serious hull damage while tied up alongside at the boat ramp. Apparently they had just snagged a deal with a trailer but just too late. Poor bloke now has to clean up and someone is already asking about refunds from the fund raising. Can't win a trick.

It's dead. Serious hull damage while tied up alongside at the boat ramp. Apparently they had just snagged a deal with a trailer but just too late. Poor bloke now has to clean up and someone is already asking about refunds from the fund raising. Can't win a trick.

Mate, it doesn't get much sadder than that. Nice pulpit there though.

Well it's official, I've resigned from Marine Rescue. I have to admit to feeling a bit emotional about it all.

The Australian Wooden Boat Festival has been cancelled for 2021
    The next festival will be in 2023. I suppose there's a reason why it couldn't have just been moved to 2022 but it hasn't.
    Rick

The next festival will be in 2023. I suppose there's a reason why it couldn't have just been moved to 2022 but it hasn't.
    I knew this was on the cards as we all did I'm sure. Instead I've been planning a trip to Wilsons Prom and if Tas is open for interstate visitors I might motor sail across the strait and down the Tamar to Launceston to visit family.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

That’s not good news ,especially since I just set up my Ute to carry Jim .

I’ will just have to be satisfied with our local Q events.

We're still going to Hobart in Feb (by plane), if permitted, of course. I plan to take Masina down for the 2023 festival so I guess I can now say for the next festival.
    Rick

Most boats I know have trouble with toilets and fridges. Masina has neither so I think I'd better join in the fun and install both. I already have a toilet and have put in the plumbing so no point in discussing that. But, a fridge. Eutectic systems cost a fortune and seem to cause all sorts of problems. I can get a portable fridge from Jaycar for about $200. I can put an icebox in the cabin and make ice blocks in the lazarette or I can put a portable fridge or a more permanent thing in the cabin. Masina has lots of room everywhere except the cabin.
    Rick

IMG_20200821_163556062.jpgIt's that time again, out on the hard at NCYC Newcastle. It's just starting to rain.

Our small inbuilt fridge was installed in 2001 and has worked continually from that time, we never turn it off. When I first installed the unit the power consumption was between 20 and 24 AH per day. More power consumed in the summer than the winter.

Looks good there Bruce! When does she go back in?
    Rick

Most boats I know have trouble with toilets and fridges. Masina has neither so I think I'd better join in the fun and install both. I already have a toilet and have put in the plumbing so no point in discussing that. But, a fridge. Eutectic systems cost a fortune and seem to cause all sorts of problems. I can get a portable fridge from Jaycar for about $200. I can put an icebox in the cabin and make ice blocks in the lazarette or I can put a portable fridge or a more permanent thing in the cabin. Masina has lots of room everywhere except the cabin.
    I'm incredibly lucky and have never had head problems, but when I was a kid and I worked at Peter Green Shipchandlers it seemed that every second person who walked in was dealing with a head issue. I still remember when we had the 28'er with a Porta Potti and a friend with a nice 40'er blew the high-tech system the first day of the Christmas holidays. We'd head back into the marina every few days to get more ice and to see how much fun he was having, stuck down below in a windless marina rebuilding the system. :-p The electric one on Jembe has been faultless, though, and it's very civilised.

We use Dometic 12 volt portables on Jembe. It's nice to be able to pack them at home and unless it's a hot day in midsummer the solar panels and one house battery keep them nice and cool. Ahhhh, the joy of real ice in your gin and tonic! I'm pretty happy with them as a simple plug 'n play solution that also gives you that extra luxury when car camping.

However, there is a cautionary tale. We used to be lightweight hiking-style campers even when car camping, until the Day of The Fridge. Once we bought the 'fridge for the boat, we started taking it to regattas and dog events. Then came the extra battery, and the solar panels for it. Once we were carrying that, it just seemed logical to get a bigger tent....and a bigger stove.....and bigger chairs, a bigger table, stretcher beds, a bigger tent...... The guys at the local camping store said that it happens all the time - the 'fridge is the step that takes you from hikers to luxaholics.

EDIT - should have said that powering the fridge is only a problem on hot NIGHTS, thanks to the solar panels.
    Last edited by Chris249; 08-23-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Hi Rick, we hope to go back in on Tuesday afternoon, still have a 2nd coat of anifouling to go and clean and lubricate the seacocks. We have a Baby Blake head, have not had any major problems apart from general maintenance etc, parts not a problem as Baby Blakes still made in the UK.

Bruce

The toilet I have to install is a manual Lavac. I am wondering if I should have gone electric though, for the macerator. We'll see.

Yes, Dometic or similar for a fridge, I think. Interested in any ideas on that though!

Bruce, I'll call in so that I can have a look at Tui's bum! Probably Monday.
    Rick

Hi Rick, Give me a call as the gate to the yard is now locked due to covid 19.

Bruce

I will.
    Rick

I have a 1.5 cu ft Engel fridge/freezer that must be 40 years old and has never missed a beat. It's been all over, but I've never had a boat that suited or needed it.

Isn't it time Phil was let out of gaol? Bruce, how about taking a stick around to Phil's place and prising him out?
    Rick

I've been boatless for nearly a year now but building up a stock of useful items for the The Next Boat. Found these listings on a local auction site.
    If anyone is interested, there is a lot of braid line going cheap at this auction. ive not looked at all of the lots, but those i have bid on are all 6mm.
    Its Lot 4251 onwards.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Re: Fridge,
    I bought one of these. https://oceansolutions.com.au/refrig...rsion-kit.html

Haven't fitted it yet. It'll be a nerve wracking experience. You only get one stab at charging the system... and the copper hoses work harden really quickly.

I have a really well insulated ice box. Takes a couple of bags of ice to get it cold, but once its there, it'll keep the third bag frozen of 4+ days. Plan is to power it only from the excess power from the charging systems (Solar/Alternator). My little solar controller figures that out for me, in theory, (Ctek Smartpass 120A).
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I've had a persistent cough for a number of months that gets worse if I breathe in tobacco smoke (not cancer) . So I went to the doctor and she listened to my my chest and pronounced it clear, so not bronchitis. She gave me a lecture on using my inhalers and said if it doesn't get better an x ray will be next. That was a week ago and no not a lot of change. So of course the brain goes into but if it is lung cancer mode? So tonight I consulted Dr Google and looked up lung cancer symptoms and nah I don't think it's that....emphysema? No that is a wet cough. So I went back to what I know I do suffer from and that is asthma. There is a type of asthma called cough variant asthma and that ticks all the boxes. It's triggered by such things as stress, cold air and irritants such as tobacco. I shall run that by her next visit.
    By the way its been bloody windy up here.
    Last edited by WX; 08-24-2020 at 03:08 AM.

G'day all, weather is finally improving here but water will be squeezing out of the ground for some weeks yet I reckon. It needs a mow but that is just impossible with a layer of water on top.
    18c on Saturday…Who hoo! I might even get out on the water!

Isn't it time Phil was let out of gaol? Bruce, how about taking a stick around to Phil's place and prising him out?
    Bruce he will be the kitchen with his bakers hat on.

Rick once you go the macerator Avenue you will most likely have to replace it in around five years .

Looks like I’m the only traditionalist with an icebox aboard WB

Pre race picture of WB

86D5218F-CE15-47EC-97CF-AD113E46392A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    That is such a good photo Tom. I'd be framing that one.

Phil seems to be flat out like a black snake on bitumen at the moment. He may be out if jail but I wonder if he'll have the time to come back.

His photos show that his shoulder is healing well. At least I assume that's the case by the 'rounding up the stock on a motorbike' and 'hoiking bluddy great loaves of bread from the oven' photos. I saw one of him on Balia too, but it looked like he was convalescing and not fixing. Good.

No doubt there are cunning plans in his head. I'll try to keep an eye open, but there's no way I'll intervene if I catch him hoisting the main and loosing to leads. I'll tell him you say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I've been boatless for nearly a year now but building up a stock of useful items for the The Next Boat. Found these listings on a local auction site.
    If anyone is interested, there is a lot of braid line going cheap at this auction. ive not looked at all of the lots, but those i have bid on are all 6mm.
    Its Lot 4251 onwards.
    Thanks Chris. I bid on a spool of lavender and a spool of black and silver.
    Rick