Page 1416 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 416916131613661406141514161417 ... LastLast
Results 49,526 to 49,560 of 49610

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I've been digitamatising some old slide this arvo and found this one from 1979, taken at Fisherman's Bend on the Yarra. One of the mosquito fleet that worked Bass straight I would think.
    Shortly after this was taken the hull was dragged up the bank by a large crawler and broken up...the old finger piers went also.

Hallam, if you're out there, perhaps you can comment on this hull's similarity to Storm Bay.

_023_ (6).jpg

and another...

_023_ (2).jpg
    Last edited by HS; 07-05-2020 at 01:20 AM.

Yay, my plans for Harry Bryan’s Katie showed up on Friday. Now to work lofting the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    Yay, my plans for Harry Bryan’s Katie showed up on Friday. Now to work lofting the real thing!
    Ah, wonderful and crazy (in a good way)! Congratulations! You should make contact with Andrew (Andrewpatrol). He's also close to finishing one boat (Oughtred Grey Seal) and already starting another, bigger one! All power to both of you!!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Maribyrnong river (Salt water river) just below the Hopeton Bridge.
    As a kid on a bike I spent a bit of time around 3 old sailing ships and a big old yacht moored there. One was The Laira, another the Rona (Polly Woodside).

That was a very interesting part of the river Jeff. All that now remains (of this scene) is a small section of that wharf and the piggery on the hill...all to the right is now apartments. On a positive note, at least the fallout form the slaughterhouse, the gelatin works and the tannery 500m upstream stopped about 30 years ago.

The history of boat builders along this stretch does not seem well documented. I have a how-to-build a Jubilee booklet somewhere that has an ad for a boatbuilder sited on the left bank at the photographer's vantage point.

I was wondering if the ship to the right is the Rona/Polly Woodside? The shortened masts coal derricks and deckhouses fit my memory but she was berthed with bow in the mud, stern in the river. A watchman lived in one of the deckhouses and was gradually burning the Laira to keep warm. We used to bring him tobacco and and he always seemed to have some rum.
    My parents may or may not have been horrified but he told good sea stories. Likely none of them true.

Jeff I have photos of Polly in the old dry dock in Williamstown having some plates replaced, also some of her up the Yarra when she was refloated. I'll try and find 'em.

The old yacht (?) was a big one, I don't remember if it was wood but Imagine not. The watchman said it was brought back as war reparations, I imagine from WW1. It was still afloat, the Laira had a broken back, there was water in the Polly Woodside. All had been coal lighters for a tug company. (Huddart Parker?) The yacht hull not unlike a J boat, disappeared long before Polly was rescued. Though maybe it was one of the Mosquito fleet huls you photographed

ED: Atually I wonder if the 'yacht' I saw was the hull of the Alma Doepell as dismasted for the stone trade in Tasmania, and then used as a coal lighter? I played on a band on her on a few occasions when she was doing cruises out of the Yarra..
    Or was this the hull I saw?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-06-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Hans, this was the mid 1950's, before the Olympic Games I think. I was 12 or 13.
    In the very late 90's Willimstown had a Wooden Boat Festival and at the time the Port ws cleaning out abandoned boats in that big mooring field. I was told that in a locked shed was the hull of an unknown racing yacht found abandoned in that mooring field and retrieved. I could only get a glimpses through a very dirty window in a dark tin shed and I could not see much but it was big.

A big low pressure system is forming off the NSW coast and could dump on anyone from mid north to south coast. Stay safe over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looks like it'll impact the south and central coast about Tuesday.
    Big southerly forecasting up to 40knots.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I’ve finally answered the question I know you’ve all been dying to ask; how much carbonade does it take to fill Suzy’s biggest casserole?

Well, I can confidently report that 3kg of topside, seven large brown onions, 300g of bacon chunks and a litre if Duvel does the job quite nicely.

Now I can sleep.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    A big low pressure system is forming off the NSW coast and could dump on anyone from mid north to south coast. Stay safe over there.

These forecasts never seem to be accurate. Usually the ECL is a fizzer but sometimes they're worse than expected. The sea's cold here now so I'm expecting this one to fizz, so it'll probably be a real thumper! I'll hang around near the boat, anyway!
    Rick

This is getting a bit nuts. I’ve been waiting on two orders of bronze parts since Feb. Every time I contact the vendor I get “they’ll be in in a couple of weeks”. Time to demand a refund and shop elsewhere, methinks.

I’ve finally answered the question I know you’ve all been dying to ask; how much carbonade does it take to fill Suzy’s biggest casserole?

Well, I can confidently report that 3kg of topside, seven large brown onions, 300g of bacon chunks and a litre if Duvel does the job quite nicely.
    I’m hoping you’ll be heading down to the WBF in Hobart with your casserole pot.

I’m hoping you’ll be heading down to the WBF in Hobart with your casserole pot.

Don and I dragged out the wedges and the sledge today and had a go at splitting a 4.2m Sydney Blue Gum log. It split but not as cleanly as I would have liked. The grain is a bit twisty.
    There's a large Jumping Ants nest right near my right foot...but they didn't get me.
    received_291904051954094.jpg

received_570156476917741.jpg

received_467675997541327.jpg
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

We got our new car.
    20200712_120116.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    I've been digitamatising some old slide this arvo and found this one from 1979, taken at Fisherman's Bend on the Yarra. One of the mosquito fleet that worked Bass straight I would think.
    Shortly after this was taken the hull was dragged up the bank by a large crawler and broken up...the old finger piers went also.

Hallam, if you're out there, perhaps you can comment on this hull's similarity to Storm Bay.

_023_ (6).jpg

and another...

_023_ (2).jpg

It's a bit on the small side for most of the mosquito fleet ketches. I Had a chat to Tim Phillips and showed him your photo. He thought it looked like a boat named Alida R, that was on the river in the early 80's and sank. It was then refloated and disposed of. Waiting for Tim to get back to me re any similarity to Storm Bay but it does look similar to me but sitting higher in the water for obvious reasons. You know that the Winston Churchill that was wrecked in the 98 Sydney to Hobart was virtually a sister ship to Storm Bay but her restoration put more attention to detail on the cosmetic and not as thorough on structural.
    If your photo is the Alida R, from what i can gather it was owned by a Crib Point fisherman, a Mr A Lockwood. Here is a reference to it from an archived news article on Trove:
    22 Aug 1936 - Ketch Alicia R. Found Safe - Trove

I've been trying to find other photos but no luck.
    Last edited by Hallam; 07-14-2020 at 07:44 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    If trump loses the election he will be like a balloon that after it's inflated is let go without tying the knot and it farts about the room bouncing off walls, ceiling and windows, in a fatally erratic implosion! Those near him will be blown away!

G'day everyone! Thought I should pop in and say hello!

I've been super busy with work. Not much time for anything else. People keep throwing projects at me, which is nice!

Plus a rebuild of the pool and deck out the back, all in concrete!

SWIMPAL is home for the foreseeable future and I now have a professional suite in town which allows me to work undistracted by the multitude of projects at home.

Haven't had any time for boats unfortunately. But I am thinking of whipping up a Dave Gentry SOF pulling boat so I can get a bit of exercise now and then!

Nice motor Gaz!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Looks a bit different in stern.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    If trump loses the election he will be like a balloon that after it's inflated is let go without tying the knot and it farts about the room bouncing off walls, ceiling and windows, in a fatally erratic implosion! Those near him will be blown away!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    G'day everyone! Thought I should pop in and say hello!

I've been super busy with work. Not much time for anything else. People keep throwing projects at me, which is nice!

Plus a rebuild of the pool and deck out the back, all in concrete!

SWIMPAL is home for the foreseeable future and I now have a professional suite in town which allows me to work undistracted by the multitude of projects at home.

Haven't had any time for boats unfortunately. But I am thinking of whipping up a Dave Gentry SOF pulling boat so I can get a bit of exercise now and then!

Nice motor Gaz!
    Nicest motor I've ever owned.

Hallam, is this a clue? Does the "B39" rego number makes her a RFB? The fisheries web site is no help.

023_ (det).jpg

750_3342.jpg

I did a search of that. rego without turning anything up. I'm sure info could be found with some proper research though. I once had a battern seam 20 ft old fishing boat with a similar rego. I did find this pic of Casilda, a similar hull.
    The Casilda is still going strong

Last edited by Hallam; 07-15-2020 at 07:02 AM.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dropped into an unlikely little antique 2nd hand store and found me a copper stern light for Warana complete with oil lamp and a wick even. For a reasonable price too. I will keep as is but put a removable white LED in it.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Dropped into an unlikely little antique 2nd hand store and found me a copper stern light for Warana complete with oil lamp and a wick even. For a reasonable price too. I will keep as is but put a removable white LED in it.

Very very nice

Also I was hoping to make some timber blocks for WB unfortunately our local Men’s shed closed again after a trial opening.

I am still looking for at least two mid sized timber blocks and or tufnol to complement my new gaff rig. If anyone has some hanging around I would appreciate hearing from you.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 07-15-2020 at 06:32 PM.

I have a few in a cardboard box in the shed. They are made by the woodenboat shop here in sorrento and need a service, ie new bearings as there is some play.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Yesterday. Up at 3.30am, out the door 4am. QLD border 5am, Gold Coast Hospital 5.30am. Filling out pre admission documentation 6am....procedure cancelled 6.10am.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

arghhh!

As she said, "I don't mind kissin', but i hate that".
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Rescheduled for Tuesday now.

Took the Mac out this morning, no wind so I rowed on a mill pond smooth surface. Good to be out on the water.

Managed to scrape another mainsheet block together for the price of two sheaves a couple of old pennies and some copper rod courtesy of the late Peter Sibley.

F7702756-A567-4975-AB1B-B960F57F1901.jpg

Nice work Tom!
    Rick

Washed up on a beach near here.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.