Page 1408 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 4089081308135813981407140814091418 ... LastLast
Results 49,246 to 49,280 of 49866

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

They are a very generous and caring people. I don't hold the same opinion as some of our past political folk, we cannot thank the people enough for their sacrifice in WW2. As Dutton would they kept they Australia safe and he provides a commentary of hate towards them.

Bruce

Picked up the "new" engine for Warana on the weekend. A Perkins 4108 that has don 500 hours as a pump motor for a firefighting / general perpous boat built by Crib Point Engineering. They recently bought the boat back and when sailing to tas with Ted Banks he offered the engine to me at a great price as its a direct swap out for my current tired but otherwise fine Perkins 4108.
    I will be putting in a new engine mounts, dripless shaft seal and stainless steel shaft and associated bearings.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Nice. Id be nervous about a dripless shaft seal. Ive read that when they fail, they fail spectacularly.

Hmm, I'm planning to put a dripless shaft seal in Masina next time she's out of the water. What have you heard?

Good score Hallam - hope it goes well! Very exciting getting a new engine.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Oh, just stuff about boats sinking when the seal lets go. I'd prefer old style stuffing myself. Go Teflon if you don't like a slow drip.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Okay, this is important:
    I spoke with Carol today and she told me she will be putting Jim on the market. She mentioned Tom might be interested, so Tom if you see this let her know if you are. The price she is thinking of is $6,000. I'm my opinion given the standard of construction and the trailer I would consider it a bargain.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Oh, just stuff about boats sinking when the seal lets go. I'd prefer old style stuffing myself. Go Teflon if you don't like a slow drip.

Well, I'd rather the boat didn't sink! But I think there's a variety of types. I looked at one that impressed me a lot at last year's boat show in Sydney. I'll look at it again from the point of view of - what happens if the seal lets go! If I think there's any risk, I won't do it.
    Rick

Most of the dripless seals seem to have a back up, clamp on a key or something.
    Lip seals still make me a bit nervous, I don't think they're right for a retrofit to an old shaft and they invariably require an extra bearing right at the inboard end of the log.
    Seems like the bellows /compression seals have a wider threshold for pain to me.
    Last edited by John B; 05-25-2020 at 06:09 PM.

I know there are some that have caused problems. One I know of actually wore a groove in the shaft.
    Rick

Thanks Gary for the price indication ,Carol phoned me yesterday and we had a brief chat concerning Jim and the quantity of red lead I am still hoping to pick up once borders open up.

Hi Rick, This is a note about my experience with propeller shaft seals.

When I was building Tui of Opua I originally though that I would mount the engine direct to the engine beds no flexible mounts. My reasoning for this is that the propellor shaft is only 925mm long and with a conventional shaft stuffing box on the inboard end of the shaft and a conventional rubber cutlass bearing on the outboard end the prop shaft should not be able to flex within the short distance from the stuffing box to the output flange of the gearbox.

After much thought and given I was installing a 1GM10 single cylinder Yanmar engine I changed the engine installation to flexible mounts on the engine and changed the stuffing box to a dripless rotating seal. My choice was the PPS rotating seal on the inboard end and retained the cutlass bearing on the outer end. A couple of reasons for choosing the PPS are that it could be supplied in 7/8 inch size and the rubber belows fitted the bronze inner fitting. We have now had the bearing fitted since laurching and not had any problems to date.
    When we had Tui out of the water at the boatyard in Toronto (we were looking after the yard) I removed the prop shaft, shaft tube and inside bronze fitting. The inside bronze fitting was part of the original stuffing box but without the large nut the keeps the stuffing in place. Due to the movment of the engine on its flexible mounts at idle the shaft used to knock on the bronze fitting. I upped the idle speed 100RPM to prevent this from happening. Whilst I had it all apart I machined out the housing to give more clearance and that fixed the problem.

One of the recommendations of the PPS seal company is that you change the rubber bellows each 10 years so I did that (ours had been in for 13 years at that point) but couldn't find any problem with the old one. The only problem that we have had is if we leave the yacht for say three months when we return and start the engine for the first time and put it into gear we notice a low rumbling noise for a short time untill the two surfaces are wetted out.

On the subject of seals sinking boats from my time looking after the boat yard most of the sinkings at the lake were due to faulty bilge pump switches, faulty bilge pumps and leaking stern gland seals. When I launched Tui I tested the auto bilge pump by releasing the stainless steel collar on the shaft to simulate a broken seal and the bilge pump was able to handle the water inflow. The water inflow is only what that comes in via the small gaps around the cutlass bearing.

I was not able to use teflon packing due to the fact that we are using a monel prop shaft and I was worried that the teflon packing may score the shaft ($900 /meter 7/8 dia)

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Morley; 05-25-2020 at 07:33 PM.

I forgot to mention that when I aligned the engine and the propshaft I made up a small nylon collar that fitted over the propshaft and inside the bronze fitting on the inside and this held the shaft in the centre of the bronze housing. The engine mounts for a 1GM10 Yanmar are different at the front of the engine to the back on the gear box

Bruce

Thanks all for the info regarding prop shaft seals. The one bit of info i heard that's not been mentioned is to take care when cleaning the hull with the high pressure gurney when near the prop and shaft area.
    I will let the team at the Wooden Boat Shop take on the job as they have not had a problem with all the ones they've fitted over the years. They use the PSS seals. Bruce, did you mean PSS when referring to PPS?
    Last edited by Hallam; 05-25-2020 at 08:36 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Hi Hallam, Yes you are right I did mean PSS seals. I do know the folks at the Wooden Boat Shop, we went to visit the shop when we were house sitting at Mornington Pinisular last year. They do some very good work. I can say that I have not had any problems with the high pressure wash but I never looked inside whilst the washing is happening.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. It's a way off yet so there'll be plenty of time to share notes!

What a bummer that Jim's fate will probably come down to sorting out sales value etc. We all know what went into that boat and what typically goes into these projects. We can only hope that Jim goes to someone worthy and that Carol can be satisfied with the outcome. Not easy!
    Rick

I had hoped someone in the family would take up sailing but sadly not to be.

Hello.

It has been a year since I did anything to Romana but something clicked recently and I've at least bought a better cover, cleaned up a bit and taken stock of a couple of jobs that remain on the finish-the-boat list.

I trust all are well and happy as can be during a viral pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Hello.

It has been a year since I did anything to Romana but something clicked recently and I've at least bought a better cover, cleaned up a bit and taken stock of a couple of jobs that remain on the finish-the-boat list.

Hey! Hi Bruce!! Great to hear from you!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Hello.

I was thinking about you and Romana a couple of days back. Are you allowed to go sailing? It's permitted here now.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I was thinking about you and Romana a couple of days back. Are you allowed to go sailing? It's permitted here now.

It's debatable. You can go fishing and you can do exercise and technically yes you can race a dingy around the cans. You must also respect distancing requirements. So if someone dumb enough to get into trouble (that would be me) needs a VMR or Coast Guard assist it puts the assisting people at risk. So on a personal choice level, no. Soon.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Sailing was never prohibited here.

Nor here.
    Rick

And with a few rules we can now.

But I understand about the ban, there are enough fools about to need rescuing…..5 men in a tinny for instance…. and the emergency services had enough to do. At the start of this everyone was flying blind, we've done OK I think. But time will tell. I think the medical mob are still preparing for a second wave just in case.

Okay, Jim has a new owner I believe.

More info required urgently - spit it out!! Do we know her or him?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    More info required urgently - spit it out!! Do we know her or him?
    I don't want to steal his thunder but Carol has told me Tom is going to be the new owner.

That is great news! I won't tell anyone. Thanks!
    Rick

Neither will I. Zipped lips, it's a secret.

Mums the word.

Can we tell Tom?
    Rick

No. That would be stealing his thunder. Wait for him to tell us.

Yer all a mad bunch of buggers.
    I started a Peter Sibley thread in the Bilge...it was a year ago today.

I've tried calling Tom but no luck yet. Probably been murdered by Mrs Tom.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I've tried calling Tom but no luck yet. Probably been murdered by Mrs Tom.
    Given her love of boats that is a possibility.

Given her love of boats that is a possibility.
    Considered that, but life would be rather boring without Mr T��