Page 1406 of 1435 FirstFirst ... 4069061306135613961405140614071416 ... LastLast
Results 49,176 to 49,210 of 50203

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    Hello WX, What is the style of beer that you bottle. I like the India Pale Ale style myself.Tui from NX

Bruce
    Coopers dark ale.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Gonna be hard to take your pick....

Hello Rick, Yes it's up on the ANMM web site, we were informed by email as we were registered to take Tui of Opua down to Sydney for the classic boat festival at the museum which was later cancelled. If you go on line and register to watch the next webinar on this coming Thursday ? You should receive a email reminder

Bruce

Does Bill next door have a shovel on the wall?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Gonna be hard to take your pick....
    I got a better one.

Hi, I have been looking at Auckland shiping wharf via a webcam (on metservice NZ website ) it was showing the same ship that loaded all the yachts in Newcastle last week. Looking at the vision most of the yachts on the deck of the ship have been unloaded and more motor cruisers have been loaded into the ships holds. Is it any wonder that the shipping costs are what they are. I'm going to look on Monday to see what progress has been made reloading the yachts that were loaded in Newcastle.

Bruce

At least the ship has its own cranes!
    Rick

Getting soggy here.

What’s going on in Queensland? Two people fell off different boats overnight. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...escue/12258320

Yep, and both cases where a PFD probably would have saved them. But I'm only guessing that neither of them had PFDs.
    Rick

I just might be doing some work on Redwing today.

It was a nice idea but it rained.

I'm thinking of giving up Marine Rescue. Kez is not happy with the thought of me being exposed to the virus and it looks like I may not be back on the roster for some time anyway. Thinking hard about this one.

I’m unable to splice this double braid polyester 8mm halyard line due to what appears a very tight weave .I am simply unable to physically push the fid trough or else it catches the inner core in the fid at which point I start over again with more line wasted. Anyone encounter similar problems.?

6175A375-8206-4D0C-82D9-0700FA6830B5.jpg

Yes, it's a pain splicing double braid, especially Spectra. Firstly, it has to be new - the old stuff gets too stiff. Use a smaller fid. Tie the rope to a tree or a post - anything you can't pull over, as the hardest part is milking the cover back over the splice. If in picking out the core, you've fuzzed it up, start again.

You can also use a different kind of fid. It's like two bits of wire in parallel and you pull the core through rather than pushing it through. That works well for thinner line. I think Whitworths have that kind.
    Rick

Rick

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I'm thinking of giving up Marine Rescue. Kez is not happy with the thought of me being exposed to the virus and it looks like I may not be back on the roster for some time anyway. Thinking hard about this one.
    Thats tough mate - take a short break and see what happens over the next few months?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I just bought 8mm Dyneema to replace my halyards. It was $4.50 a meter. My current halyards are 12mm. There's quite a leap in price when you go to 10mm and upwards. I wondered about thickness, for hand holding - but its completely fine.
    Thing is - it is soooooooo easy to splice, and the load bearing is something from science fiction.

I did my safety lines in it too (5mm) - very little hardware and the tapered splices, soft eyes, are aesthetically very pleasing, much nicer than a thimble and ferrule swaged eye, IMHO.

Put 16mm on my mooring riser with 2x 12mm tails to go round my bollard.

I think I'm a Dyneema enthusiast......

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Thats tough mate - take a short break and see what happens over the next few months?
    That was more or less the advice from a shipmate.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, it's a pain splicing double braid, especially Spectra. Firstly, it has to be new - the old stuff gets too stiff. Use a smaller fid. Tie the rope to a tree or a post - anything you can't pull over, as the hardest part is milking the cover back over the splice. If in picking out the core, you've fuzzed it up, start again.

You can also use a different kind of fid. It's like two bits of wire in parallel and you pull the core through rather than pushing it through. That works well for thinner line. I think Whitworths have that kind.
    Thanks Rick I hate to admit it but I’ve given up and will just settle with halyard knots.

Probably a halyard wire might make a difference combined with unbraiding all the stands and then eliminating about half and then braiding again.

The 28th which is Thursday next is the anniversary of Peter's passing. I am going out to Carol's Monday arvo to take a photo of Jim and his colour scheme.

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;6186426]Thanks Rick I hate to admit it but I’ve given up and will just settle with halyard knots.

Probably a halyard splicing wire might make a difference combined with unbraiding all the stands and then eliminating about half and then braiding again.

Regarding the tightly woven 8mm halyard braid it appears to be good quality line ,but then again there was probably a reason why it only cost $1.20 per meter.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Thanks Rick I hate to admit it but I’ve given up and will just settle with halyard knots.

Probably a halyard wire might make a difference combined with unbraiding all the stands and then eliminating about half and then braiding again.
    I can't follow that Tom - what are you going to do? I wouldn't have any wire halyards.
    Rick

I have all wire halyards and those awful 70s wire winches with clutches. Plan to replace the lot. Dyneems might be good. My main hurdle is the masthead sheaves, sized for wire of course. Solid timber mast, external halyards.

BTW sitting in the boat right now, hot coffee in hand. It's been raining on and off the last few days and is raining now. Bilge is dry and no deck leaks at all tht I can see. Happy I am.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I can't follow that Tom - what are you going to do? I wouldn't have any wire halyards.
    I was trying to refer to the Ronstan splicing needle .

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I have all wire halyards and those awful 70s wire winches with clutches. Plan to replace the lot. Dyneems might be good. My main hurdle is the masthead sheaves, sized for wire of course.
    You could just do a straight swap for Dyneema of the same thickness as your wire.
    Increased load bearing, easy as to swap out when required, pisseasy to splice an eye into, but would be lousy handling without a winch (though nicer than steel wire rope).

Hi, Since we have had our yacht moored in the marina in Newcastle I have noticed that a large percentage of the race yachts here have removed all of their dynema halyards and replaced them with small diameter rope. Is this to avoid the UV deterioration or to prevent theft.

Bruce

Hi, Since we have had our yacht moored in the marina in Newcastle I have noticed that a large percentage of the race yachts here have removed all of their dynema halyards and replaced them with small diameter rope. Is this to avoid the UV deterioration or to prevent theft.

Bruce

It's to avoid deterioration. The dyneema they use is often not UV resistant and dyneema generally is not very abrasion resistant. Farr 40s, for example, often remove their dyneema lines after each race.

Ask Joe about it and see what he does. It's amazing what competitive race boats have these days.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I was trying to refer to the Ronstan splicing needle .
    I get it now, thanks!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    You could just do a straight swap for Dyneema of the same thickness as your wire.
    Increased load bearing, easy as to swap out when required, pisseasy to splice an eye into, but would be lousy handling without a winch (though nicer than steel wire rope).
    That's what I was thinking. Need winches anyhow, but I'd swap out the captive wire ones for ordinary winches.

I hate wire halyards. But I can't really see how replacing it with thin dyneema provides much advantage apart from weight saving. I have just double braid halyards and I think they're perfect. Stretch is negligible and easy to tension up anyway. 12 - 14mm halyards are so easy to handle. If I had wire halyards, I'd replace the blocks and winches to take rope of a good thickness for handling.
    Rick

Dyneema - abrasion/wear....

We have a new puppy who is chewing everything in his path - everything.
    So i made an indestructable toy that he loves!

5mm Dyneema - Monkeys fist, stuffed with an old rag, with two large soft eyes at the ends of the line - they stick out like ears on opposite sides.
    The soft eyes give you a handle to play tug of war, the ball allows it to be thrown..... in short - he loves it.

He has been chewing that toy for months now. Proper knawing grinding, pulling and generally getting stuck into it. These teeth have made short work of everything. Tennis balls last a matter of minutes.
    He has managed to slowly chew off the soft eyes at their narrowest point. He concentrated on a spot on the first one and worked his way through it over many weeks. Once his technique was perfected he started to work on the second one. The monkeys fist is still intact. About 6 months in total.

I'm not sure if you've tried to cut dyneema, but......... bloody hell. (DO NOT use your good scissors!).

As for UV degradation - certainly there is some, but that is the case for all polymer ropes. However it appears to stand up to UV better than most.
    https://dynamica-ropes.com/wp-conten...SM-Dyneema.pdf

Rick - advantages - i think there is something to be gained; it has a higher load rating, is softer to use, easier to stow on a cleat, much easier to splice reliably and far easier to swap out. I wouldn't swap out perfectly good existing steel wire for the sake of it (actually, those advantages are persuasive enough for me so i think i probably would), but if i was replacing I would definitely go to Dyneema.

One more dyneema anecdote;
    I toured a dance show many moons ago which included these matrix (movie) style stunts on stage, and we used to splice 12mm climbing rope to the dyneema.
    We would run the dyneema from the performer to the blocks, and the riggers operating the systems would handle the 12mm rope. The advatages of having the climbing rope inline were handling (clearly) but also, dyneema doesn't stretch (after its been broken in). If you drop a performer onto it it can snap. (Your average person, if they fall, at about a meter into the fall they can weight around a metric ton). The climbing rope has some elasticity, so it would absorb the jolt.

There - see what you've done!
    You've turned me into a zealot!!!!

I've been using dyneema and sheathed dyneema for many years for various purposes. I replaced my wire runners with dyneema and I expect that when Masina's rigging needs replacing, I'll use dyneema. But I wouldn't want dyneema halyards or for any other lines where manual handling is required.
    Rick