Page 1401 of 1419 FirstFirst ... 4019011301135113911400140114021411 ... LastLast
Results 49,001 to 49,035 of 49635

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    No, but I’ve got a couple of bottles of glenmorangie, so all’s not lost.

Now I’m reading about how to home cast bronze.
    What a pity Peter's no longer with us! He'd have enjoyed discussing that with you and he did some lovely casting.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I do have an old street sign at the bottom of the hill that says Beach Street.
    For the duration of the CV crisis you could add Sonova to that sign.

Rick

That would be a good name for a light weight plastic racing boat... 'Sonova 27'.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    What a pity Peter's no longer with us! He'd have enjoyed discussing that with you and he did some lovely casting.

Rick
    My thoughts exactly

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Hi Suzyj.

When I started to build Tui of Opua (Vertue class sloop) wanted to have cast bronze floors rather than the wrought iron specified by LG&P. As I lived in the Newcastle area there were a number of foundries that serviced the large industrial companies BHP, Comsteel etc. I knew of a small foundry that was casting bronze peices upto 200kg. I went in to see the owner with my plans from LG&P and asked how I should go about making the patterns. He took about 1 hour to explain the process to me and then said to bring the first 5 or 6 patterns in and he would explain were I was going wrong. He was right of course I had made some mistakes which he pointed out. Then he advised me to go and purchase a pattern maker square which is 87 degrees rather than 90 degrees and will give you the correct draw angle allowing it easy to withdraw the pattern fron the sand box. Over the years I developed a reasonable skill in pattern making which allowed me to make castings that were more complicated to the point that the owner of the foundry allowed me to fit the patterns into the sand boxes and set the box ready for the molton metal. I did learn a lot from this part of yacht building ( I trained as a communication technician back in the 60's so no training in baotbuilding)

I did find that the process of preparing the bronze to pour into the molds involves adding to the stock say aluminium bronze a chemical which allow the molton metal to flow easily and it was this part that I was not a party to maybe trade secrets

With your experiences woking with wood you will have no difficulty making the patterns, if you need to cast a hole in a casting you need to make a core and thats were I found it became a lot more complicated. If the hole is up to 20mm forget the core and drill it out after casting.

You may find it hard to find a foundry in your area but I'm sure you will, most of the time they are down rough lanes in dirty buildings. We still have some in Sydney.

Atfter tapping all of the above I have just remembered the name of the company in Melbourne the we got our opening ports from it was Briggs Marine (ports were about $450 each and we have 8). Either way you will have success and good pattern making you will find it rewarding

Bruce

So after two very sweaty days I now have both logs on the edge of the gully. With luck they should be in place on the weekend. Wish I had a snatchblock.

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Last edited by WX; 04-23-2020 at 05:38 AM.

Why only Tom? Why can't we all watch it?

Rick

L'll have to watch it after midnight, internet is too busy from 8am to 12.30pm to watch even a music video. Some tmes even the WB site will not open.

Are you Tom?

Rick

Why only Tom? Why can't we all watch it?

Rick
    I focused on Tom because of the gaff rig but you can watch it as well as long as you sit quiet and don't fidget.

So bossy!!

Rick

The guy in the video is speaking backwards. Or something.

1903 book on Australian cabinet timbers.
    http://www.spiffa.org/uploads/2/6/7/...00bakeuoft.pdf

That's fantastic Gary, thanks!

Rick

My pleasure, a friend sent me the link. I looked at it and thought I've got to share this one...love the poem at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Thanks Gary for cheering me up.
    First time Iíve seen that and itís interesting to note a number of similar sailing characteristic to Wee Barkie such as the gun whale roll ,when sailing in certain conditions.
    Concerning the linguistics I was able to follow somewhat since Norwegian is related to the Northern Germanic language .
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 04-24-2020 at 03:44 AM.

You speak German, Tom?

Rick

You speak German, Tom?

Rick
    I should as I was born there ,henceforth my occasional problems with lexical definitions and grammar .

I'm always impressed by anyone's ability to speak multiple languages. I wish I could. Sehr gut!!

Rick

I'm always impressed by anyone's ability to speak multiple languages. I wish I could. Sehr gut!!

Rick
    Likewise ,bilingualism is taken for granted by many nations and even much of the Pacific Islanders . My parents fluently spoke a combination of seven different languages .
    My mother who also spoke Latin which back in the 1920 was a medical requirement was still involved in teaching French well into her eighties while living in ���� Canada.

In PNG it was common for people to speak at least 2 languages. Their tokples and pisin.

I spoke fluent pirate viking a couple of days ago when I walked into a pointed and decayed hardwood branch down in the bush. Got me right above my right eye and I bled like a pig. It was raining too, so it streaked and ran down my face and collar.
    On the bright side, I must have looked reasonably impressive, going by the reaction. Of course it turns out to be nothing of any consequence, just another ripple in the physog.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I spoke fluent pirate viking a couple of days ago when I walked into a pointed and decayed hardwood branch down in the bush. Got me right above my right eye and I bled like a pig. It was raining too, so it streaked and ran down my face and collar.
    On the bright side, I must have looked reasonably impressive, going by the reaction. Of course it turns out to be nothing of any consequence, just another ripple in the physog.
    A vulgar one eyed bloody Viking we wouldnít have it any other way.

Might be slight breach of forum rules, but I'm going to mention my father's book. He's old enough now to have written an autobiography. I think some of you might find it interesting for boating content. There's a lot of that. Swallows and Amazons style holidays on the Norfolk Broads. A stint working on a Thames Barge. Building his own boat and sailing in South Australia and from Tonga to Fiji. Trying to save the timber trading ketches Annie Watt and One and All and then the building of the new One and All. A slipway and boatbuilding school in Tasmania.

And perhaps more at home in the Oz Politics thread, some interesting stuff on colonialism, aborigines, and environmental politics. He was probably among the first academics in Australia, perhaps the world to depart from the Eurocentric approach to the study and teaching of history. He established a multidisciplinary environmental studies department at Adelaide Uni and put together a fairly significant conference with speakers and delegates from around the world. David Suzuki. Petra Kelly of the German Greens, Bob Brown from Tasmania. These and people like David Lewis, the Antarctic sailor often sat down around our dining table when I was a kid.

He talks about some ideas around economic theory and why it fails. In the 1980s he was writing and speaking about something he calls post environmentalism and has some interesting ideas about how a society focussed on fairness rather than profit might function.

It's a relatively light read, not a stifling academic treatise by any means.

I think the 440 odd page paperback sells for about $40.00 Good lockdown reading and quite thought provoking.

Let me know if you'd like a copy. I think he's putting all proceeds towards his current project to build a timber trading schooner in Tasmania.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Might be slight breach of forum rules, but I'm going to mention my father's book. He's old enough now to have written an autobiography. I think some of you might find it interesting for boating content. There's a lot of that. Swallows and Amazons style holidays on the Norfolk Broads. A stint working on a Thames Barge. Building his own boat and sailing in South Australia and from Tonga to Fiji. Trying to save the timber trading ketches Annie Watt and One and All and then the building of the new One and All. A slipway and boatbuilding school in Tasmania.

And perhaps more at home in the Oz Politics thread, some interesting stuff on colonialism, aborigines, and environmental politics. He was probably among the first academics in Australia, perhaps the world to depart from the Eurocentric approach to the study and teaching of history. He established a multidisciplinary environmental studies department at Adelaide Uni and put together a fairly significant conference with speakers and delegates from around the world. David Suzuki. Petra Kelly of the German Greens, Bob Brown from Tasmania. These and people like David Lewis, the Antarctic sailor often sat down around our dining table when I was a kid.

He talks about some ideas around economic theory and why it fails. In the 1980s he was writing and speaking about something he calls post environmentalism and has some interesting ideas about how a society focussed on fairness rather than profit might function.

It's a relatively light read, not a stifling academic treatise by any means.

I think the 440 odd page paperback sells for about $40.00 Good lockdown reading and quite thought provoking.

Let me know if you'd like a copy. I think he's putting all proceeds towards his current project to build a timber trading schooner in Tasmania.

A copy for me Phil! Please PM procedure. Thanks!

Rick

Bronze bow fitting https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anchor-g...75.c100623.m-1 Seems pretty cheap to me at $50!

Rick

$83 worth of pipe fittings and many hours working on getting the wateline from the dam flowing and we now have water on tap in the garden again.

Poly pipe is cheap enough but fittings can be lethal

Poly pipe is cheap enough but fittings can be lethal

I've got a box full of various fittings but they change the design every now and then and of course the threads are different.

We have really balmy weather here on the E coast right now but that's forecast to change bigtime late this week. TAS and Vic look like getting hammered and we will too if the low tracks north, which they tend to at this time of year. Interesting week to watch, weather-wise.

Rick

32mm of rain here last night

32mm of rain here last night

Something is not right. Here in my part of NZ we are still on water restrictions!
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Strewth, restricting the water as well seems a bit overboard...

I've downloaded the COVIDSafe app.