Page 1398 of 1458 FirstFirst ... 39889812981348138813971398139914081448 ... LastLast
Results 48,896 to 48,930 of 51019

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #48896
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,551

    Default

    Go nuclear or go home!

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  2. #48897
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Some bronze chainplates for sale: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solid-Br...8AAOSwGIZeWM1s

    Rick

  3. #48898
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Go nuclear or go home!

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    It's the bomb!

    Rick

  4. #48899
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    67,204

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Guitar Rick? Be a man, get a real instrument…..



  5. #48900
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Yeah, but for less money I could produce a more pleasant sound by buying a leaf blower. And the neighbours could probably stand that.

    Rick

  6. #48901
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    10,356

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yeah, but for less money I could produce a more pleasant sound by buying a leaf blower. And the neighbours could probably stand that.

    Rick
    Indeed, it has been said that a true gentleman is somebody who can play the bagpipes....and doesn't!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  7. #48902
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,938

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    A few photos of work at home.
    The stone retaining wall progresses but a trip to the creek for better rock is on order.
    IMG_2996.jpg

    This one is going to be repurposed as a step out the front of the house. length is around 1 metre.
    IMG_2997.jpg

    A different angle on the the other bit of stonework and steps, which will lead to a small bridge.
    IMG_2999.jpg
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  8. #48903
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    6,098

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Oscar Wilde described a gentleman as "Someone who can play the bagpipes, and chooses not to."
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  9. #48904
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    6,098

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Nice work WX - but don't forget to take it easy.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  10. #48905
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,551

    Default

    What Gypsie said

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  11. #48906
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,551

    Default

    Happier news for me today. I seem to have fixed the digger. Fingers crossed anyway. I've put a flat nylon washer where there was an Oring. Maybe it should always have been a flat washer. I might go get a copper washer just to be sure. Nylon might soften and fail when the hydraulic fluid warms up. Truck brake failure was just a flexible hose, so will not be expensive to fix. Idiots who last replaced the brake pads had put the caliper back on with a kink in the hose. So the hose split and lost all the brake fluid. No it wasn't me. Today's hire happy to reschedule to next week and tomorrow's hire all good. Shoulder seems to be improving a tiny bit every day. Wish I could go forth a ride on my free ebike though.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  12. #48907
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,938

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Nice work WX - but don't forget to take it easy.
    Feeling quite good today, the arm is fine and I'm not feeling woozy at all but point taken. I do have some serious reading to do.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

  13. #48908
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    3,411

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Indeed, it has been said that a true gentleman is somebody who can play the bagpipes....and doesn't!
    Which is the primary reason pipers are usually marching....they're trying to get away from the noise.

  14. #48909
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Happier news for me today. I seem to have fixed the digger. Fingers crossed anyway. I've put a flat nylon washer where there was an Oring. Maybe it should always have been a flat washer. I might go get a copper washer just to be sure. Nylon might soften and fail when the hydraulic fluid warms up. Truck brake failure was just a flexible hose, so will not be expensive to fix. Idiots who last replaced the brake pads had put the caliper back on with a kink in the hose. So the hose split and lost all the brake fluid. No it wasn't me. Today's hire happy to reschedule to next week and tomorrow's hire all good. Shoulder seems to be improving a tiny bit every day. Wish I could go forth a ride on my free ebike though.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    I had the impression you are a lawyer. Why do you run trucks? I must be wrong about the law thing.

  15. #48910
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    I had the impression you are a lawyer. Why do you run trucks? I must be wrong about the law thing.
    My first career was as a lawyer. But I no longer do that.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  16. #48911
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Ah I see, a reformed man... is this the reason for your comments about general happiness and contentment?

  17. #48912
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,551

    Default

    Probably not. Just didn't want anyone to think I was suicidal! I gave up lawyering as such maybe 20 years ago. Had some corporate HR roles. Went to work in PNG. Got sick, nearly died. Decided law and corporate management probably wasn't for me. Started a little sports car rental business, then a little digger hire business, then did some of the digging myself and added some gardening to that. Not quite the usual Management to Jim's Lawnmowing story, but not that far off.

    And yes, I seem to have to work quite hard to earn less than the dole now, but I seem to be happier than when I earned quite a lot of money.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  18. #48913
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection



    Rick

  19. #48914
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Good story!

    I left my former high pressure career too. A choice between money and life. I chose life and haven't looked back. The lack of money is well and truly made up for in other ways.

  20. #48915
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,383

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Meanwhile back in the boat shed ,we have a complete gaff rig ready to go nowhere. Obtained my border crossing certificate easily enough today .Now just to circumvent the essential clauses should I get stopped which is highly likely carrying a dinghy on my roof racks.

    Phil I think I need a lawyer!!! oh no we’re back on that subject again.

    37D31909-3AA7-46C0-9F9A-4151A2C63EC7.jpg

  21. #48916
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,551

    Default

    Wow, good luck, I hope the new rig gets rigged successfully and that she sails like a witch.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  22. #48917
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    What argument did you use to obtain your border papers?

  23. #48918
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,383

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    What argument did you use to obtain your border papers?
    Unfortunately it has no space for arguments just a travel document deceleration that is required to cross the border .

    The onus is on each individual and of course the border control officer should you get pulled over, to interpret the regulations regarding essential travel.

  24. #48919
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    This is a cover to go over the windlass, to stop most of the water shooting down the hawse space, as I don't have a chain locker. It'll be hinged on one side with separating hinges so that I can lift it off easily. Its dimensions are 270 x 330 x 120. I need ideas on ways to lock it down securely, so that waves don't wash it away. But I don't want any lugs or tabs etc. sticking up out of the deck for me to stub toes on. Simple is good, strong is essential! Any ideas?

    Cover.jpg

    Cover 2.jpg

    Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RFNK; 04-16-2020 at 04:29 AM.

  25. #48920
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,551

    Default

    Have you tried play dough in the hawse pipe?

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  26. #48921
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,551

    Default

    Otherwise there are various flush folding tie down things.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  27. #48922
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Have you tried play dough in the hawse pipe?

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    No, the windlass and hawse are integrated so there's no pipe. It's really a windlass made for a draining chain locker . The cover will have a slot in it for the chain. This is only the blank straight off the mould. It'll work but I need to hold it down.

    Rick

  28. #48923
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,551

    Default

    Can you just set in effect some bronze nuts into the deck. Into which you screw a hold down of some sort?

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  29. #48924
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Can you just set in effect some bronze nuts into the deck. Into which you screw a hold down of some sort?

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    I'm also thinking along those lines. A twisting shaft in a key slot, type of thing, rather than a threaded nut though, I think, because I want to be able to undo it and do it up very quickly and easily, and without tools.

    Rick

  30. #48925
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Unfortunately it has no space for arguments just a travel document deceleration that is required to cross the border .

    The onus is on each individual and of course the border control officer should you get pulled over, to interpret the regulations regarding essential travel.
    Bummer. I was going to borrow your excuse to get me across our regional borders when I want to go to my boat. Anyway, best of luck to you for each crossing. Hopefully border control also happen to be understanding boat owners.

  31. #48926
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'm also thinking along those lines. A twisting shaft in a key slot, type of thing, rather than a threaded nut though, I think, because I want to be able to undo it and do it up very quickly and easily, and without tools.

    Rick
    A lashing could meet the requirements of speed and toollessness, but maybe not the nothing sticking up requirement.
    Toggles could work. Could something stick up through the middle... I'm thinking of old fashioned car air filters which typically had a round housing with a single central bolt passing through the cover with a washer and wing nut on top, but yours could just be a toggle. Maybe the hinges are not needed, that just sounds like a complication.

  32. #48927
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Well, the windlass is under the cover so that wouldn't really be possible. The hinges allow it to be swung out of the way when I don't want to remove it. No, I want a clip-type arrangement rather than lashing or shock cord.

    Rick

  33. #48928
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, the windlass is under the cover so that wouldn't really be possible. The hinges allow it to be swung out of the way when I don't want to remove it. No, I want a clip-type arrangement rather than lashing or shock cord.

    Rick
    Hard to see how that could be done without something attached to the deck. Would it be allowable to have something recessed into the deck?

  34. #48929
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,721

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Yes, that's what I'm thinking I might do. But I'm hoping there's something ready made.

    Rick

  35. #48930
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    28,825

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Hatch dog in the top of the cover that latches onto the windlass itself.
    Pin through the side of the cover into the windlass.
    You aren't going to kick the windlass itself, glue a coaming on the deck opposite the hinge side or 3 sides close up as practical, hardwood , pin or latch into that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •