Page 1395 of 1409 FirstFirst ... 3958951295134513851394139513961405 ... LastLast
Results 48,791 to 48,825 of 49292

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Watching Gourmet Farmer last night on the telly. Canoeing down the Huon River. I've never thought to do that all these years. It looked like nice gentle canoeing. Enough current to move you along nicely, but no nasty rapids. I have a 2 person inflatable kayak in the shed. Something for the to do list when we can travel again.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Great program although those guys where clearly using the wrong tackle. Eels can be caught with any kind of meat or fish as I found out when up the top of the Myall Lakes. Just a shame I did not have a smoker. I have some great memories of smoked Eel as a very young age growing up in Bremerhaven when food was still in short supply.

Rick row sailing down the Darling sounds great.

The Darling will need to have water in it.
    The other darling will need to approve.
    Neither is looking all that promising at this stage but it remains on the list so it remains a Firm Intention.

Rick

My Darling might approve if I manage to sell her on the idea of catching some big Murray River cod and other good fishing , just don’t anyone mention Eels .

Rustic garden gate.

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Does the rustic gate keep out something evil, or is it more just an art work for the sake of rusticness?

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Does the rustic gate keep out something evil, or is it more just an art work for the sake of rusticness?
    It keeps out Hoppy the resident limping scrub Turkey. She has a habit of rotary hoeing gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Some bloke tried to sail to Tassie.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...stown/12135760
    is that a H28?

It keeps out Hoppy the resident limping scrub Turkey. She has a habit of rotary hoeing gardens.
    A rotary Turkey. Makes oven rotisseries somewhat superfluous.

Life would have to be tenuous before Hoppy would be at risk of the pot. She would be on the chewy side I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    is that a H28?

Looks like one to me.

Rick

Pretty sad to see.

Some bloke tried to sail to Tassie.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...stown/12135760
    Looks like an older wooden boat?

Sorry, missed the earlier posts, yes I wondered if it might be an H28. Thought it looked a bit bigger.

It doesn't look very big in the video, when the sailor is standing in the cockpit being pushed around by the waves.

Family dinner. 3 households. Zoom. I guess it kind of works.

Kerry used Zoom for the first time today for a meeting. Has another next Wednesday.

Hi guys

Im finishing up my Grad Cert Nurse (no major) with QUT (Brisbane) and doing my last unit studying Environmental Health (EH).

The mid semester assessment requires a report on either a mass disaster or mass gathering involving over 10,000 people.
    Ive chosen the Wooden Boat Festival (Hobart) as my case study.

Im currently doing the background research and looking for any material relating to running this event with respect to EH and Public Health (PH) issues etc.
    There is next to nothing on public domains or other areas of the www which have stored EH or PH documents relating to the event (no surprises there).

So Ive contacted the GM of the WBF Paul Stephanus requesting document assistance to help me complete my report.
    Paul has agreed in principle to offer support in the way of the organisation's documents but first he will need to run it past the board/committee etc. He's real busy right now trying to make plans and decisions about next years WBF and can't really get back to me until end of next week. Which of course, is fine. I'm just happy to have some help.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with, or can help in any way with EH and/or PH work and documents with the WBF or any other marine/boat festivals here in Australia or elsewhere?

If anyone knows Paul or other committee/board members please put in a good word for me!

Bern

I wasn't inclined to do a mass disaster...there's enough unhappy stuff going on right now...
    Last edited by Bernadette; 04-09-2020 at 07:52 PM.

I'd imagine the Tasmanian Health Department ordinarily would be the best contact but I doubt if anyone from there would be available to do anything to help you just now. Paul Fitzgerald used to be a regular WB Forum contributor and I think he knows some of the organisers. Paul was a hospital administrator before he retired to Tas so he probably knows a bit about your area of interest. The Festival has utilised community volunteers for many years now and it's likely that the volunteer program has been coordinated to some extent by the Tas Gov IF they have a government-supported volunteer support or coordinating agency - some states do. They would at least have knowledge of health measures in place for the Festival.

Just some thoughts.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'd imagine the Tasmanian Health Department ordinarily would be the best contact but I doubt if anyone from there would be available to do anything to help you just now. Paul Fitzgerald used to be a regular WB Forum contributor and I think he knows some of the organisers. Paul was a hospital administrator before he retired to Tas so he probably knows a bit about your area of interest. The Festival has utilised community volunteers for many years now and it's likely that the volunteer program has been coordinated to some extent by the Tas Gov IF they have a government-supported volunteer support or coordinating agency - some states do. They would at least have knowledge of health measures in place for the Festival.

Just some thoughts.

Rick

Hi Rick, thanks for your comments.
    yeah its real BAD timing I know.
    Ive contacted the respective departments in local govt (city of Hobart) for assistance and yes, again, you are correct, people are otherwise occupied with more pressing matters, including myself.

Presumably part of the point of the exercise is to demonstrate an awareness and understanding of the state health requirements for running such a festival. There should be some generic info published by Tas DoH, not the sort of info they want to keep hidden. The state requirements will be legislated so perhaps find the relevant acts (you might get bonus marks for knowing about them). The state in turn will have some reporting obligations back to the commonwealth (who hold the purse strings), and you may be able to find out what sort of data Tas has to collect by looking at DOHA's NMDS specs.

Hi Bernadette,

Both my wife Thelma and I have been volunteers at the AWBF in Hobart 2015, 2017 and 2019 and hopefully 2021. It is a requirement that each of the 400 volunteers attend a briefing prior to the festival starting. We both found that the organization of the festival to be first class. During our time at the festivals we have only one incident that required a ambulance and I must say all of the infomation that was given to us was useful and spot on. I will try to give you a much comprehensive report when I think more about your request.

Bruce

Presumably part of the point of the exercise is to demonstrate an awareness and understanding of the state health requirements for running such a festival. There should be some generic info published by Tas DoH, not the sort of info they want to keep hidden. The state requirements will be legislated so perhaps find the relevant acts (you might get bonus marks for knowing about them). The state in turn will have some reporting obligations back to the commonwealth (who hold the purse strings), and you may be able to find out what sort of data Tas has to collect by looking at DOHA's NMDS specs.

Yes, knowing the relevant by laws and regulations etc that govern the event are crucial in the report.
    however, what does NMDS stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    Hi Bernadette,

Both my wife Thelma and I have been volunteers at the AWBF in Hobart 2015, 2017 and 2019 and hopefully 2021. It is a requirement that each of the 400 volunteers attend a briefing prior to the festival starting. We both found that the organization of the festival to be first class. During our time at the festivals we have only one incident that required a ambulance and I must say all of the infomation that was given to us was useful and spot on. I will try to give you a much comprehensive report when I think more about your request.

Bruce
    Hello Bruce

Thank you so much for your input. I did some volunteer work myself for the 2017 festival. However I pulled out in semi-disgust as were were asked by a third party company to gather data from people during the event. I did it for a very brief period but found a lot of people just didnt want to be bothered by someone coming up to them to ask questions. It was intrusive and they were often quite wary. It wasn't my idea of "helping" so that is why I stopped short of doing my allotted volunteering.

Anyhow, I would dearly love any assistance you can offer. My husband who is ex NZ airforce suggested I do a report on the Avalon Air Show in Melbourne thinking there might be useful data more readily available for me to gather. However, there isn't. And this is the problem. All environmental health and or public health data is non existent on public domains...as to be expected.

Im hoping they go ahead with the 2021 WBF. I'm guessing it might end up being a smaller event with perhaps less travellers from interstate and overseas. (boats included). Im planning on attending if they do hold it irrespective of how big or small the programme will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    Yes, knowing the relevant by laws and regulations etc that govern the event are crucial in the report.
    however, what does NMDS stand for?
    National Minimum Data Set. There may be one for environmental health measures of relevance. The main point here is that while health is a state responsibility, the feds still pull strings to force certain types of regulation/services/data collection. So there is a possibility that some of the requirements of the festival may be traced all the way back to the commonwealth gov. If so, and you happen to make mention of that, your knowledge of the health system would appear pretty impressive and your assessor could not help but give you amazing marks.

Hi Rick, thanks for your comments.
    yeah its real BAD timing I know.
    Ive contacted the respective departments in local govt (city of Hobart) for assistance and yes, again, you are correct, people are otherwise occupied with more pressing matters, including myself.
    That's why I thought maybe the volunteer association may be more forthcoming as they wouldn't be so snowed under. They would be required to understand and work within whatever public safety framework the Tas Gov applies to the Festival so I reckon they'd have copies of the relevant framework. The Tasmanian Ambulance Service might be another avenue.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 04-09-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Well my table saw has achieved dodgy old bloke practice status today. The on switch has started playing up and the only way to keep it on is to clamp it.
    Given that I bought it new for the princely sum of $349 back around 2008 I think it's done well. I think I will have to run it via a switched powerboard. Maybe once we've got the replacement car I can look at upgrading.

National Minimum Data Set. There may be one for environmental health measures of relevance. The main point here is that while health is a state responsibility, the feds still pull strings to force certain types of regulation/services/data collection. So there is a possibility that some of the requirements of the festival may be traced all the way back to the commonwealth gov. If so, and you happen to make mention of that, your knowledge of the health system would appear pretty impressive and your assessor could not help but give you amazing marks.
    oh, I do like your style of thinking!!! thank you so much!

Well my table saw has achieved dodgy old bloke practice status today. The on switch has started playing up and the only way to keep it on is to clamp it.
    Given that I bought it new for the princely sum of $349 back around 2008 I think it's done well. I think I will have to run it via a switched powerboard. Maybe once we've got the replacement car I can look at upgrading.
    Couldn't you just fit a new switch?

Rick

That's why I thought maybe the volunteer association may be more forthcoming as they wouldn't be so snowed under. They would be required to understand and work within whatever public safety framework the Tas Gov applies to the Festival so I reckon they'd have copies of the relevant framework. The Tasmanian Ambulance Service might be another avenue.

Rick
    the more research I do and the more I see the effects of CoVid 19 impacting right across society...Im starting to think about asking the lecturer to reset the focus of the assessment.

Couldn't you just fit a new switch?

Rick
    Possibly, but not today.

I'm kind of surprised lots of people don't fall off the marina at the WBF. Very crowded. A bit of booze around. But it seems to go well. Tassie has I think the most relaxed regulations on marine toilets in the western world. I hope it stays that way. But I probably wouldn't want to take a dip in Kings Pier during the festival. Might be a novel angle for you to explore, but as I say, I'd rather not see the regs follow everyone else.

Today I tidied up a big bit of rope. Or warp, or line or whatever which I bought cheap a couple of years ago. One of my kids has hacked a few lengths off the end and left a tangled mess. The cable spool is what buggered my shoulder. Turns out it weighs 50kg empty. More than I should be lifting onto my truck. I plan sometime to use some of the rope as additional anchor line. And mooring lines. It's 25mm. 250 metres of it. Weighs about a ton.

the more research I do and the more I see the effects of CoVid 19 impacting right across society...Im starting to think about asking the lecturer to reset the focus of the assessment.
    I would if I was the lecturer! What an amazing opportunity for anyone studying public health.

Rick

I would if I was the lecturer! What an amazing opportunity for anyone studying public health.

Rick
    Too much of a moving feast at the moment