Page 1394 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 394894129413441384139313941395 ... LastLast
Results 48,756 to 48,790 of 48986

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Been offered an 8 foot fg tinny that got towed from off the bar. It's sans gunnel strips and thwarts but it's intact. Just wondering how to get it home.
    Paddle.

Rick

Suzanne and I were lucky enough to catch Jeff in his own little piece of paradise this morning, for a chat and a cuppa, before hitting the road again for Wilson's Promontory. I came away with a sense of multi-bay shed envy, and a new appreciation of the not so subtle effects of climate change in that part of the world.
    Thanks again for the hospitality, and do post a pic when all those little orchids do their thing!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

FINALLY went out for a sail on Pixie this arvo. I haven't been since starting a real job more than three months ago. I'm appalled at my behavior!
    It was a brief one, but I was delighted to get out at all. A bit boisterous with >15kt breeze and 2m swell.

IMG_0241.jpg
    Very lumpy sea. Practicing towing and rafting, we were the victims.
    IMG_0243.jpg
    Point Danger 30 coming to our rescue.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    It's a fibreglass boat made of aluminium. Don't you know anything?

Rick
    After 3 weeks in Europe, no, I dont think I do know anything.

You'll need to explain that. Why does three weeks in Europe result in you not knowing anything?

Rick

The more you see the less you know?

Never mind that. Are you going to tell us what a FG tinny is?

Rick

Never mind that. Are you going to tell us what a FG tinny is?

Rick
    HAHA, yeah maybe not the best description. I'm treating the term tinny as more of a generic boat description. How about 8ft fibreglass dinghy?
    I don't think I'll take it. The hassle of getting it home, then fixing it up and then finding someone who wants it seems like too much trouble.

It's a handy size but tenders are tricky, I think. If they're too heavy they're not practical and if they're the wrong shape they're too tippy, etc.

Rick

It's too big for Redwing. All I could do with it is fix it up and try and flog it to someone.

Well Peter's bronze bilge pump has sold, it will be going into a converted trawler down in Tassie.

You'll need to explain that. Why does three weeks in Europe result in you not knowing anything?

Rick
    I did a short post in OzPol and may write something longer. Or not. The trip has made me very aware of my ignorance and the poor quality of my education. At school I remember studying Pop Culture. At uni I got a bachelor of Arts and a bachelor of laws. We studied the last 5 minutes or so of the history of this county we now call Australia. A bit about England's relationship with Europe. A couple of recent wars. A bit about Australias laws and Constitution. I have seen so much here that I can't begin to understand. People say there is a growing divide between rich and poor. But when I see terraces carved by hand out of virtual cliff faces to grow a few olives or vegetables, and a few miles down the road yet another fortified city with huge walls, towers, forts, palaces and most of all churches, I'm not sure that's right. I watch the news at home and see a politicians press conference, a car crash, another scam and as much sport as news. On the ABC and SBS there's a bit about the latest car bombing in the middle east. The EU was created when I was at school and envompasses so many different cultures and countries. We learned nothing about it. It just happened. Now it's disintegrating and I don't know what that means. Our lifestyle, so much of what we take for granted, our existence, is a precarious illusion. Even without nuclear war, climate change or the extinction of bees, whole cultures, communities and countries have come and gone within such a short period that their buildings, paintings and statues are still there for us to climb on, snap chat and desecrate at will. But I think this not the place for such musings.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I did a short post in OzPol and may write something longer. Or not. The trip has made me very aware of my ignorance and the poor quality of my education. At school I remember studying Pop Culture. At uni I got a bachelor of Arts and a bachelor of laws. We studied the last 5 minutes or so of the history of this county we now call Australia. A bit about England's relationship with Europe. A couple of recent wars. A bit about Australias laws and Constitution. I have seen so much here that I can't begin to understand. People say there is a growing divide between rich and poor. But when I see terraces carved by hand out of virtual cliff faces to grow a few olives or vegetables, and a few miles down the road yet another fortified city with huge walls, towers, forts, palaces and most of all churches, I'm not sure that's right. I watch the news at home and see a politicians press conference, a car crash, another scam and as much sport as news. On the ABC and SBS there's a bit about the latest car bombing in the middle east. The EU was created when I was at school and envompasses so many different cultures and countries. We learned nothing about it. It just happened. Now it's disintegrating and I don't know what that means. Our lifestyle, so much of what we take for granted, our existence, is a precarious illusion. Even without nuclear war, climate change or the extinction of bees, whole cultures, communities and countries have come and gone within such a short period that their buildings, paintings and statues are still there for us to climb on, snap chat and desecrate at will. But I think this not the place for such musings.

If you mean a separate thread then yes I agree, it would be a bit political here.

I thought it might be that sort of thing. Some people travel and learn nothing. Others travel and are overwhelmed by what they find there is to learn. The wonder.

Rick

I have only been overseas once, excluding Tassie, and I found it a real eyeopener. As John Clarke once sang," You don't know how lucky you are."
    I would love to go to the UK but it probably won't happen.

Ok things down here in Phuket are not all roses and orchids either. We have massive man light fires in Borneo and Samatra, with visibility down to 1 kilometre in KL airport.

Then an there was that bit of sightseeing from the ambulance ride to the International Hospital in Phuket yesterday.
    We may be extending our holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Ok things down here in Phuket are not all roses and orchids either. We have massive man light fires in Borneo and Samatra, with visibility down to 1 kilometre in KL airport.

Then an there was that bit of sightseeing from the ambulance ride to the International Hospital in Phuket yesterday.
    We may be extending our holiday.
    What's this about ambulances?

Hope it's nothing serious Tom. Even just a graze can go bad fast in the tropics, as I found out when I fell flat on my face trying to leap athletically over an 18 inch high stone wall around a market in Vanuatu one time. Ended up in hospital for several days back in Adelaide and in bed for a week or so after that.

Getting into some warm nights up here. Off to top up medication today and to get the Red cedar for the new tiller ripped into 5mm strips.

What's this about ambulances?
    Ambulance trips for both Nellie’s parents Bronchial for Don 82 who’s is being released. and a severe Colitis for Elaine at 89. Missed flights to KL today but are hopeful we will be using Air Asia X flatbeds returning GC Friday night.

The plan to stop by the Royal Phuket YC enroute to visit the oldies disintegrated in the early hours of this morning starting with Nellie’s projectile vomiting and myself feeling very very seasick,I shall never as much as chuckle at another crew ever. including Dunc.

I called a resort Doctor for Nellie who is unable to keep down electrolytes despite anti nausea ect pills.

Also had a meeting with management regarding possible food contamination from sea bass we ate .and discussed Outriggers D cell water plant with sewage plant location adjacent to Outrigger.

Doctor is calling it food poisoning but writing it up as gastro( I suppose he understands who helps him with those Merc payments)

Received mostly lip service and assurances from Aussie Leah Matters resort Mgr.

Getting into some warm nights up here. Off to top up medication today and to get the Red cedar for the new tiller ripped into 5mm strips.
    I had fantasies that I would get it all ripped today...you know, yep we will just drop all the work we have just so we can rip up your three piddly little bits of red cedar.
    So I guess next week, I've got plenty to do this week anyway.

Glad it all worked out Tom, sounds bloody awful though.

Glad it all worked out Tom, sounds bloody awful though.
    I think we will all be kissing the ground if we all arrive Coolangatta Airport Sat morning

. Touch wood.

Yech! Hoping all improves soon soon Tom!!

Rick

Sleeping on a Transpac 49 tonight. Very comfortable!

Rick

More information? Going anywhere? Pictures?

Stayed at RPAYC overnight end route to Sydney Airport. Flying to Hamilton Is to sail a Swan 60 down to Southport. I'll post some pictures if I see anything interesting.

Rick

Anything interesting. On a Swan 60. As if.

You get the next 20 pages.

This is the boat. It's a bit posh ...

Sent from my T85 using Tapatalk

There's some serious money there.

Yes, expensive to buy and very expensive to own. Very comfortable but limited by its deep keel - 3m+, and sheer size. She's in great condition and spotlessly clean.

Hamilton Island's a funny place. Towering apartments and a little row of shops and restaurants. The area is beautiful though and there are lots of curlews running around, which is nice.

Rick

Roomy

How's this for totally ridiculous?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Anything interesting. On a Swan 60. As if.

Several things come to mind A very young Canadian captain throws up the massive spinnaker throwing up a one meter stern wave while negotiating the fleet of cruising yachts anchored at Bora Bora. Then there where the bulkhead failures in the seventies, and luckily I missed out on one of those deliveries.