Page 1376 of 1376 FirstFirst ... 37687612761326136613751376
Results 48,126 to 48,146 of 48146

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #48126
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Okay boat content: I have an annoying leak around the mast.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  2. #48127
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,776

    Default

    I'm getting along OK fitting cleats and fairleads and jib tracks. But you know how in your head you measure and line up and drill and check and then slather parts with butyl tape and butyl In a tube and duralac, and just slot the bits together? And in real life the holes don't quite line up? Im getting a lot of that. And I just noticed someone obviously needed 2 of my fenders more than I do, even though I paid for them. They were tied securely on the berth. One was a really handy ladder fender. Bumner. I hope they put them to good use. Maybe as life preservers when their sh!tty little tinnie flips out at sea.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  3. #48128
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I hate thieves.

    Phil, a tip on lining up hardware fittings. Make up a block at home, about 30 mm thick and mark the hole positions using the hardware item. Then drill the holes using a drill press. Back at the boat, use the block template to drill straight, correctly spaced holes.

    Rick

  4. #48129
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Okay boat content: I have an annoying leak around the mast.
    How is it sealed?

    Rick

  5. #48130
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I've always reckoned they can't be using a very good iron if the roofing comes out corrugated.

    Rick

  6. #48131
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I hate thieves.

    Phil, a tip on lining up hardware fittings. Make up a block at home, about 30 mm thick and mark the hole positions using the hardware item. Then drill the holes using a drill press. Back at the boat, use the block template to drill straight, correctly spaced holes.

    Rick
    Great idea thanks. I'll do that for the stanchion bases. The problem is where I have holes already in the beam shelf or a deck beam and I'm drilling up through that, through the new deck, and hoping the new hole will line up with the holes, or in some cases bolts, in the relevant deck fittings. They should, but often they don't. Close, but 4 or 5 mm error in a 10mm hole leads to some dissapointment.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  7. #48132
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    How is it sealed?

    Rick
    I don't think it is.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  8. #48133
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Great idea thanks. I'll do that for the stanchion bases. The problem is where I have holes already in the beam shelf or a deck beam and I'm drilling up through that, through the new deck, and hoping the new hole will line up with the holes, or in some cases bolts, in the relevant deck fittings. They should, but often they don't. Close, but 4 or 5 mm error in a 10mm hole leads to some dissapointment.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    I've had that happen. I found it happened when I was reluctant to use a bigger drill, so I'd use a smaller one and found I'd drilled a crooked hole. If you use a drill that fits snugly into the hole, then it's more likely to come out somewhere near where you want it to appear.

    If you have fittings where you just have, say, one hole in a beam, you can always just drill one hole with the snug drill from below then mark the other holes using the fitting, then drill from above. It doesn't really matter if you end up with an extra hole underneath as it can be filled.

    Rick

  9. #48134
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Okay boat content: I have an annoying leak around the mast.
    How is it not sealed?

    Rick

  10. #48135
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I wonder whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that we no longer need to use Air Mail for these conversations?

    Rick

  11. #48136
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    How is it not sealed?

    Rick
    It was, if is not raining in morning I'll have a closer look topside, it appears to be one of the through bolts holding the collar down.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  12. #48137
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I've had that happen. I found it happened when I was reluctant to use a bigger drill, so I'd use a smaller one and found I'd drilled a crooked hole. If you use a drill that fits snugly into the hole, then it's more likely to come out somewhere near where you want it to appear.

    If you have fittings where you just have, say, one hole in a beam, you can always just drill one hole with the snug drill from below then mark the other holes using the fitting, then drill from above. It doesn't really matter if you end up with an extra hole underneath as it can be filled.

    Rick
    I'm tempted just to shift everything to a new spot and ignore the old holes. But it's too late for that really. I've done most of them fairly badly now. Davits and stanchions will possibly be easier. All new holes for them I think. The pulpit will be a nightmare. Difficult access. And no flexibility on position.

    I've been using same size or tiny bit bigger drills, so it's not that.

    Bloody frustrating. It'll turn out OK I'm sure.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 01-18-2020 at 04:37 AM.

  13. #48138
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,199

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'm following the progress of my mate as he brings his boat round the coast. He has AIS tracking on so I get to see his location and speed as well as all the other vessels using AIS tx. I'm at the point of being a concerned observer.

    The boat is at the point of Wilson's Prom heading West in following wind, doing between 7 and 8 knots. There's nowhere much for them to aim for now except Portland in my view. The wind is tipped to strengthen over the next 30-36 hours that it will take to get that far, with a 25-30 knot broad reaching wind for the final section from LJP Island.

    I'm hoping there is some crew on board as well as the skipper. If not I'll be awake and stressed for a couple of days watching progress. This part of the trip isn't for the timid.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 01-18-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  14. #48139
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    58,288

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Local dinghy sailing blown out yesterday, a gale from NW till about 3am. Dead still now (7.30am) but thunderstorms and squalls forecast later in the day. Rain on Monday.
    Prom forecast
    https://www.willyweather.com.au/vic/...romontory.html

  15. #48140
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,776

    Default

    Bruce broad reaching in 25 to 30 should be a doddle for him. Autopilot on, sails reefed. AIS alarm on. Relax and enjoy the ride. When we brought our big steel boat home we had similar conditions but a bit stronger. 8 metre waves. Autopilot blew a couple of fuses. And we almost hit an island due to me setting it as a waypoint. But other than that it was a fine sail. Autopilot makes a huge difference to life on board. Particularly single handed. So worry all you like but it's probably wasted energy.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  16. #48141
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I wonder whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that we no longer need to use Air Mail for these conversations?

    Rick
    It's definitely a good thing. In fact we couldn't have these discussions by airmail. I think Adrian, who we don't see here much, gets together in a pub with some local boat builders on a regular basis, and maybe has similar meandering and sometimes practical conversations about boats and other things.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  17. #48142
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Bright sunshine and a good morning for drying stuff out...It's going to be a hot one.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  18. #48143
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,741

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    The leak was a couple of loose collar bolts. Sweat poured off me from just tightening them, sauna anyone.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  19. #48144
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It's definitely a good thing. In fact we couldn't have these discussions by airmail. I think Adrian, who we don't see here much, gets together in a pub with some local boat builders on a regular basis, and maybe has similar meandering and sometimes practical conversations about boats and other things.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    I agree. And I agree with Adrian's approach too. I think you should all move to Port Stephens.

    Rick

  20. #48145
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,199

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I agree. And I agree with Adrian's approach too. I think you should all move to Port Stephens.

    Rick
    I think we should all move to Tasmania.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  21. #48146
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,907

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'd be in that!

    Rick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •