Page 1382 of 1392 FirstFirst ... 382882128213321372138113821383 ... LastLast
Results 48,336 to 48,370 of 48694

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Yes, painful! Wish him well!!

Rick

Better look at the damage to the crossing and the gravel and rock bank that built up when the pipes blocked.
    IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Thanks Rick and Grant. Yes i'm hoping for no complications. He was driven home yesterday and is back in hospital this afternoon on his doc's orders. I will visit after work. As anyone who's had a broken rib will know it's impossible to get comfortable and having a lung problem will add to it. I'm sure he will be ok and a bit of time will see him settle down with it.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Best wishes to your son. I had a broken rib or 6 when I was 20 odd. Very painful. Tell him to breathe and cough or he'll get pnumonia. And stay away from codeine or he'll get constipation. Both at once is not fun.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Certainly mppt. My current (get it) panel is 200 watts and I might add another couple. So need a bit of grunt. They seem to be pretty cheap on fleabay. Wondering how to tell junk from reasonable. Is a digital readout worthwhile? Bluetooth to my phone? My old one just had 3 mysterious led's which occasionally did odd things until I hit the reset button.

Are panels rated in amps or watts? I forgot. Controllers seem to be in amps. Theres a formula isnt there?

Panels are rated in watts.

Rick

Amps = watts/volts so, I think, a 200 watt panel charging a 12 volt system has current up to about 16 amps. But you might want to check that before you blow up your boat.

Rick

Watts the actual difference between a $30 controller and a $150 controller? Apart from the price?

As far as I know, it's just the display. So, the one I have tells me what's going on. If you look at the link I sent, it tells you the features.

The reason I bought it is that the electronic geek at the shop (Jaycar) told me I should. Sorry if that sounds pathetic .....

Rick

Not at all. Makes sense to me! But $30 ones have a display too. I'm sure the expensive ones are better quality. Almost sure.

Ask the guy in the shop.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Not at all. Makes sense to me! But $30 ones have a display too. I'm sure the expensive ones are better quality. Almost sure.

For me it's what I can afford. There are even cheaper ones but even I have some standards.
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    As far as I know, it's just the display. So, the one I have tells me what's going on. If you look at the link I sent, it tells you the features.

The reason I bought it is that the electronic geek at the shop (Jaycar) told me I should. Sorry if that sounds pathetic .....

Rick
    Your “geek” may be the exception, but over the years Jaycar has degraded to the level hardly normal were 30 years ago ie useless for advice.

Our local Jaycar is still staffed by enthusiasts, happily.

Rick

Anyone know of any backyard foundry groups that may be interested in foundry equipment?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

My charge controller is about $300.
    I input the solar panel and the alternator (starter battery). It manages both crank and house batteries. It selects the best charging source available and directs the charge first to the crank, so that is always fully charged. Then switches over to the house. Other than the link to the controller my crank and house batteries are completely seperate.
    It has a heat sensor so it doesn't over charge and deteriorate the batteries, and it has some kind of function where it reconditions batteries once they are charged.

It doesn't add water, it has no readout. You can't change the charge voltage and it doesn't talk to your phone. It has a 20amp output limit. It won't charge a battery that has drained under 11.5v or something, and it won't charge the crank over 12.7v. It does let the house batteries get up to 14.5v....

It's happy on a boat with a salty air environment.

I think it's okay, but my experience is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Rained solidly from round 10pm to 5am, haven't looked at the gage but there's a flood watch issued.

Have two people interested in Peter's foundry already.

I put this on Peter's Jim thread but apart from Rick' s reply it didn't garner much response, so I will put it here as well. Jim's colour scheme.

IMG_2976.jpg

I like the colours and the vibrance was unexpected since Carol had mentioned it was painted green and I assumed it to be their recently painted house colour.,Which is a pale green.
    Are the sails still on the boat or where they put into rat proof storage?

Still on the spars but we did talk about that.
    Last edited by WX; 02-18-2020 at 10:38 PM.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Insurance company are taking the tack that since i installed all the deck fittings, and not a professional shipwright, they may have a way out.
    I've explained that the deck fittings went back into their original positions, holes drilled up through existing holes from underneath, but with new fasteners..... And it was surveyed as sound.

Green and gold - Jim's colours are so very Ireland. A place, through my rose tinted memory, where everything is simpler.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Jim still needs the internal ballast fitted. I have a feeling that I may get to sail her one day.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Have two people interested in Peter's foundry already.
    They seem to have gone cold. Might have to try Gumtree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Thanks Rick and Grant. Yes i'm hoping for no complications. He was driven home yesterday and is back in hospital this afternoon on his doc's orders. I will visit after work. As anyone who's had a broken rib will know it's impossible to get comfortable and having a lung problem will add to it. I'm sure he will be ok and a bit of time will see him settle down with it.
    How's he doing, on the mend?

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Insurance company are taking the tack that since i installed all the deck fittings, and not a professional shipwright, they may have a way out.
    I've explained that the deck fittings went back into their original positions, holes drilled up through existing holes from underneath, but with new fasteners..... And it was surveyed as sound.

Green and gold - Jim's colours are so very Ireland. A place, through my rose tinted memory, where everything is simpler.
    Insurance companies are akin to a rather lovely part of a lady's anatomy. I hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Amps = watts/volts so, I think, a 200 watt panel charging a 12 volt system has current up to about 16 amps. But you might want to check that before you blow up your boat.

Rick
    The formula is correct, but keep in mind that when your battery is charging it will charge at a voltage higher than 12, so the current may not be quite so high as 16 amps. The specs for your controller will say what voltages apply at various stages of the charge cycle, so using that may give a better estimate. Alternatively, panels usually list some of the specs of interest on the back of the panel (or on a specs sheet often downloadable in pdf format from the manufacturer).

Yes, thanks. I tend to go for conservative options so I figure that Phil ought to get a 20A controller for his 200W panel.

Rick

Or 40 in case I get another panel. The top of the dodger is such a big empty space.

Vertue 167 Tui of Opua in NCYC marina Thelma and Bruce

Good point about going conservative Rick. Some of the morningstar controllers are able to run in parallel such that when another panel is added another controller can be added. If you like their products, then for the set up you have now, go with 20A, then add a second 20A controller if/when the panel array is extended. Whatever you go for, take a look at the self consumption numbers. Last time I researched controllers, some cheaper brands were consuming a good bit more power than the higher end brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Morley View Post
    Vertue 167 Tui of Opua in NCYC marina Thelma and Bruce
    Brief, somewhat obtuse. But hey, that's great. Join the chat. Vertues are lovely.

There are too many people in the world with no vertues.

Because davits which came from another boat don't quite fit the camber of the deck, and the pushpit now welded to the davits dances to a slightly different tune altogether. Heading down to the boat for a check and measure. Glorious summer/autumn afternoon.