Page 1382 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 3828821282133213721381138213831392 ... LastLast
Results 48,336 to 48,370 of 48976

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #48336
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Windy here too. Gusts up to 50. But Montague Is and Lord Howe have gusts over 60 so not as windy here as it could be. Not really cold here yet though. Stay warm Jeff!

    Rick
    Couple of boats on the beach down your way Rick.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  2. #48337
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    That's not surprising. Do you know where, Gary? Did that info come through VMR or another source?

    Rick

  3. #48338
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That's not surprising. Do you know where, Gary? Did that info come through VMR or another source?

    Rick
    Couple of photos on Facebook but I can’t find them now.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  4. #48339
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Couple of photos on Facebook but I can’t find them now.
    They were posted by MR Port Stephen’s.
    CE5EA1D7-E532-4FCE-9BCB-1EAD17817A44.jpg

    33247F32-18AE-4B77-9A50-DDEF3AAA706B.jpg
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  5. #48340
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    57,239

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Blowing a gale here still, the Inverloch surf beach is a mess as half the primary dune, some 8m tall, has washed away leaving a falling almost vertical wall of sand eroding more at every tide. There is talk of an artificial reef, thousands of tons of sand are 'reclaimed' each low tide to no effect and some experimental sand fences and stone groins are destroyed within a few days of construction. All a bit too late, the problem is not new as the sea and the river move again. The dunes are ephemeral, legal tiles and expensive housing not so but powerless against the waves. The SLSC is also the ambulance station and a few other services as well. It will be lucky to survive another 12 months and anyhow may be stranded if the road, also under threat, disappears..
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-09-2019 at 04:17 AM.

  6. #48341
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post


    Could be worse. At least the Swannie 28 isn't beached.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  7. #48342
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    The one in the top photo looks to be on the rocks, to me. I think I'd rather be on the beach. I think both boats are on the northern shore but I can't tell where.

    Rick

  8. #48343
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,210

    Default

    I like being on a berth in a marina. Insurers like it too.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  9. #48344
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    The cheapest marina berth in Pt Stephens is $1000 per month.

    Rick

  10. #48345
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The cheapest marina berth in Pt Stephens is $1000 per month.

    Rick
    Wow, mine is $160 a month.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  11. #48346
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    This is a sweet little yacht. I believe it is a Randal.
    IMG_0218.jpg
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  12. #48347
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Wind is picking up, Redwing is tugging at her lines.
    Absolutely top day earlier, the bar was flat. We practiced doing a parallel search for an hour or so.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  13. #48348
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    2,936

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    This is a sweet little yacht. I believe it is a Randal.
    IMG_0218.jpg
    Randal is right , that boat was moved by Waterways after it dragged its mooring second time in the last two weeks and was within striking distance of my bow sprite.

  14. #48349
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The cheapest marina berth in Pt Stephens is $1000 per month.

    Rick
    I pay $50 a week

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  15. #48350
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Pt Stephens' marinas are more expensive than many of Sydney's. It's about supply and demand but ridiculous nevertheless. But that's why I use a swing mooring.

    Rick

  16. #48351
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,602

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Jeebers! I thought Mooloolaba was expensive! I pay a bit over $500/mo if I pay quarterly.

  17. #48352
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    2,936

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Too bad you can’t put a Marina in front of your place Rick.

  18. #48353
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Randal is right , that boat was moved by Waterways after it dragged its mooring second time in the last two weeks and was within striking distance of my bow sprite.
    Thanks for the details Tom, there was a question mark today as to why it was there. I really like the design.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  19. #48354
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Just did one of our fastest assists. BBQ boat with a flat battery...from the time we left the dock to our return was thirty minutes.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  20. #48355
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Took three times as long just to do the paperwork!
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  21. #48356
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    There are only 4 marinas in Pt Stephens and they're all small. LTP is the only one west of Soldiers Pt, it's as rough as guts and nearly as expensive as the others at Soldiers Pt and east. Newcastle City has just one marina and it's really good. LTP costs about the same. It's outrageous, really. If we get another storm like the one we had in April a few years ago, LTP marina will probably break up. One wing broke away last time and it's looking even worse now.

    Ah well, the swing mooring is okay - I just wish that other boats would stop running into us .....

    Rick

  22. #48357
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Too bad you can’t put a Marina in front of your place Rick.
    I appreciate the thought Tom but .... I don't want a marina in front of our place!!!!

    Rick

  23. #48358
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,210

    Default

    I wouldn't mind buying a marina frontage house with its own berth if ever we get sick of living in the coldest wettest part of Adelaide about as far away from the boat as you can get.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  24. #48359
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,210

    Default

    I always look at houses in Tasmania. I think everyone does. Stumbled across a little waterfront cottage on 5 acres not 500 yards row from our mooring at Port Huon. Asking 250,000.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  25. #48360
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,602

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    When does the sale settle?

  26. #48361
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I appreciate the thought Tom but .... I don't want a marina in front of our place!!!!

    Rick
    Agreed.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  27. #48362
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I always look at houses in Tasmania. I think everyone does. Stumbled across a little waterfront cottage on 5 acres not 500 yards row from our mooring at Port Huon. Asking 250,000.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk


    Suitable for small orchard and bees??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

  28. #48363
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I always look at houses in Tasmania. I think everyone does. Stumbled across a little waterfront cottage on 5 acres not 500 yards row from our mooring at Port Huon. Asking 250,000.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    That would be sweet but I don’t know if I could handle the winters.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  29. #48364
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,210

    Default

    It was certainly cold down there. The real estate blurb on that property is classic. Beautiful waterfront lifestyle opportunity, bask on the deck watching the world pass by on the river etc etc. The reality is a little different. At least 1/3 of the property is actual swamp. The remainder is OK. Pasture and a bit of scrub. I'm not sure whether the river is really accessible, it might just be from the far south east corner, as far from the house as you can get. The house is a complete wreck. And very close to the road. You'd want to check for traffic before opening the screen door. Well not quite but it's pretty close and you'd certainly notice the logging trucks passing by. You could reclad the house in colourbond, insulate it, re-roof it, gyprock all the internal walls and do a new kitchen and bathroom. But it would still be on the roadside. Then remove and start again with the various outhouses, chook sheds and fencing. Then do some thoughtful landscaping and planting. Maybe a boardwalk over some of the wetland would be nice. But the house would still be on the road. So maybe you'd want to knock the house down, or gut it and keep it as a shed/workshop, and build a new house near the river, amongst the trees, back in the south eastern corner. But I reckon I've just spent the better part of $500,000.00 at a minimum. $750,000 if we want more than a minimal house on the place. Not quite the bargain I started out with. But it could still be a good investment. There aren't that many properties with direct water access.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  30. #48365
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I wouldn't want to be on that road. But despite the winter fogs and temperatures, I would like to live in the Huon Valley.

    But, anyway, who cares? We actually won the rugby! I've pinched myself six times so I know I'm not dreaming!

    Rick

  31. #48366
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It was certainly cold down there. The real estate blurb on that property is classic. Beautiful waterfront lifestyle opportunity, bask on the deck watching the world pass by on the river etc etc. The reality is a little different. At least 1/3 of the property is actual swamp. The remainder is OK. Pasture and a bit of scrub. I'm not sure whether the river is really accessible, it might just be from the far south east corner, as far from the house as you can get. The house is a complete wreck. And very close to the road. You'd want to check for traffic before opening the screen door. Well not quite but it's pretty close and you'd certainly notice the logging trucks passing by. You could reclad the house in colourbond, insulate it, re-roof it, gyprock all the internal walls and do a new kitchen and bathroom. But it would still be on the roadside. Then remove and start again with the various outhouses, chook sheds and fencing. Then do some thoughtful landscaping and planting. Maybe a boardwalk over some of the wetland would be nice. But the house would still be on the road. So maybe you'd want to knock the house down, or gut it and keep it as a shed/workshop, and build a new house near the river, amongst the trees, back in the south eastern corner. But I reckon I've just spent the better part of $500,000.00 at a minimum. $750,000 if we want more than a minimal house on the place. Not quite the bargain I started out with. But it could still be a good investment. There aren't that many properties with direct water access.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    How high above the water table is it? If there is swamp then it can’t be much.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

  32. #48367
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    How high above the water table is it? If there is swamp then it can’t be much.
    It's riverside, and a lot of the river down there is bordered by marshy swamp. Also slightly tidal, underwater at high tide. The other 2/3 of the property is fine, it is kind of hilly, probably rising to I guess 10 metres above water level.



    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 08-10-2019 at 11:37 PM.

  33. #48368
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,372

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    It's a shame about the road. I wonder how deep that channel (?) in front of the property is?

    Rick

  34. #48369
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    19,210

    Default

    Looks navigable to me. By dinghy. I doubt a keel boat would get up there, never even crossed my mind in fact. Hmmmm, I wonder.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  35. #48370
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    30,396

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Jesus H! 12345, don't forget to breathe, 678910.....I've dropped a piece of firewood on my toe!
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •