Page 1376 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 376876127613261366137513761377 ... LastLast
Results 48,126 to 48,160 of 48351

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Okay boat content: I have an annoying leak around the mast.
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

I'm getting along OK fitting cleats and fairleads and jib tracks. But you know how in your head you measure and line up and drill and check and then slather parts with butyl tape and butyl In a tube and duralac, and just slot the bits together? And in real life the holes don't quite line up? Im getting a lot of that. And I just noticed someone obviously needed 2 of my fenders more than I do, even though I paid for them. They were tied securely on the berth. One was a really handy ladder fender. Bumner. I hope they put them to good use. Maybe as life preservers when their sh!tty little tinnie flips out at sea.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I hate thieves.

Phil, a tip on lining up hardware fittings. Make up a block at home, about 30 mm thick and mark the hole positions using the hardware item. Then drill the holes using a drill press. Back at the boat, use the block template to drill straight, correctly spaced holes.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    How is it sealed?

Rick

I've always reckoned they can't be using a very good iron if the roofing comes out corrugated.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I hate thieves.

Phil, a tip on lining up hardware fittings. Make up a block at home, about 30 mm thick and mark the hole positions using the hardware item. Then drill the holes using a drill press. Back at the boat, use the block template to drill straight, correctly spaced holes.

Rick
    Great idea thanks. I'll do that for the stanchion bases. The problem is where I have holes already in the beam shelf or a deck beam and I'm drilling up through that, through the new deck, and hoping the new hole will line up with the holes, or in some cases bolts, in the relevant deck fittings. They should, but often they don't. Close, but 4 or 5 mm error in a 10mm hole leads to some dissapointment.

How is it sealed?

Rick
    I don't think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Great idea thanks. I'll do that for the stanchion bases. The problem is where I have holes already in the beam shelf or a deck beam and I'm drilling up through that, through the new deck, and hoping the new hole will line up with the holes, or in some cases bolts, in the relevant deck fittings. They should, but often they don't. Close, but 4 or 5 mm error in a 10mm hole leads to some dissapointment.

I've had that happen. I found it happened when I was reluctant to use a bigger drill, so I'd use a smaller one and found I'd drilled a crooked hole. If you use a drill that fits snugly into the hole, then it's more likely to come out somewhere near where you want it to appear.

If you have fittings where you just have, say, one hole in a beam, you can always just drill one hole with the snug drill from below then mark the other holes using the fitting, then drill from above. It doesn't really matter if you end up with an extra hole underneath as it can be filled.

Rick

How is it not sealed?

Rick

I wonder whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that we no longer need to use Air Mail for these conversations?

Rick

How is it not sealed?

Rick
    It was, if is not raining in morning I'll have a closer look topside, it appears to be one of the through bolts holding the collar down.
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

I've had that happen. I found it happened when I was reluctant to use a bigger drill, so I'd use a smaller one and found I'd drilled a crooked hole. If you use a drill that fits snugly into the hole, then it's more likely to come out somewhere near where you want it to appear.

If you have fittings where you just have, say, one hole in a beam, you can always just drill one hole with the snug drill from below then mark the other holes using the fitting, then drill from above. It doesn't really matter if you end up with an extra hole underneath as it can be filled.

Rick
    I'm tempted just to shift everything to a new spot and ignore the old holes. But it's too late for that really. I've done most of them fairly badly now. Davits and stanchions will possibly be easier. All new holes for them I think. The pulpit will be a nightmare. Difficult access. And no flexibility on position.

I've been using same size or tiny bit bigger drills, so it's not that.

Bloody frustrating. It'll turn out OK I'm sure.

Last edited by Phil Y; 01-18-2020 at 04:37 AM.

I'm following the progress of my mate as he brings his boat round the coast. He has AIS tracking on so I get to see his location and speed as well as all the other vessels using AIS tx. I'm at the point of being a concerned observer.

The boat is at the point of Wilson's Prom heading West in following wind, doing between 7 and 8 knots. There's nowhere much for them to aim for now except Portland in my view. The wind is tipped to strengthen over the next 30-36 hours that it will take to get that far, with a 25-30 knot broad reaching wind for the final section from LJP Island.

I'm hoping there is some crew on board as well as the skipper. If not I'll be awake and stressed for a couple of days watching progress. This part of the trip isn't for the timid.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 01-18-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Local dinghy sailing blown out yesterday, a gale from NW till about 3am. Dead still now (7.30am) but thunderstorms and squalls forecast later in the day. Rain on Monday.
    Prom forecast
    https://www.willyweather.com.au/vic/...romontory.html

Bruce broad reaching in 25 to 30 should be a doddle for him. Autopilot on, sails reefed. AIS alarm on. Relax and enjoy the ride. When we brought our big steel boat home we had similar conditions but a bit stronger. 8 metre waves. Autopilot blew a couple of fuses. And we almost hit an island due to me setting it as a waypoint. But other than that it was a fine sail. Autopilot makes a huge difference to life on board. Particularly single handed. So worry all you like but it's probably wasted energy.

I wonder whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that we no longer need to use Air Mail for these conversations?

Rick
    It's definitely a good thing. In fact we couldn't have these discussions by airmail. I think Adrian, who we don't see here much, gets together in a pub with some local boat builders on a regular basis, and maybe has similar meandering and sometimes practical conversations about boats and other things.

Bright sunshine and a good morning for drying stuff out...It's going to be a hot one.

The leak was a couple of loose collar bolts. Sweat poured off me from just tightening them, sauna anyone.

It's definitely a good thing. In fact we couldn't have these discussions by airmail. I think Adrian, who we don't see here much, gets together in a pub with some local boat builders on a regular basis, and maybe has similar meandering and sometimes practical conversations about boats and other things.

I agree. And I agree with Adrian's approach too. I think you should all move to Port Stephens.

Rick

I agree. And I agree with Adrian's approach too. I think you should all move to Port Stephens.

Rick
    I think we should all move to Tasmania.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I'd be in that!

Rick

Felicity wouldn't let me buy that waterfront block at Port Huon.

Felicity wouldn't let me buy that waterfront block at Port Huon.

Probably turn into a much smaller, swampier block before long anyway. Keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I think we should all move to Tasmania.
    I am ready to move today with our humidity kicking in .

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I am ready to move today with our humidity kicking in .
    Yeah I don't get why people retire to the Gold Coast and beyond. Who wants to melt into old age?

Hey Tom was that you out in the sailing dinghy in Boyds Bay yesterday?

A nice "memory" came up on my Facebook this morning. 3 years ago. Last cruise with Dad on the boat he built in the backyard in 1974. He knew time was up to sell before he got too old to look after and sail her. We had a really wonderful week or so on board.

A nice "memory" came up on my Facebook this morning. 3 years ago. Last cruise with Dad on the boat he built in the backyard in 1974. He knew time was up to sell before he got too old to look after and sail her. We had a really wonderful week or so on board.

Beautiful.

Hey Tom was that you out in the sailing dinghy in Boyds Bay yesterday?
    I wish but I had someone drop by who tempted me with far too much cash and the Tammie is gone to a new home.
    Now I am looking for a replacement to take down to Hobart 2021 for a raid.

Sweet boat!

Needs a book written about it.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Needs a book written about it.
    Phil knows a bloke in SA that's written a book.

Ripped my left thumbnail off amd may have broken the tip on Sunday sailing in an easterly that was far too strong for most of us. Also two split centreboard cases and a broken mast as part of the casualties. Fun though with the dingy out of control and overpowered much of the time. Depowering to gybe round the windward mark was interesting………. And that's where my thumb came to grief. Blood in the bilges!!

Mad bastard! To be taken as a compliment obviously.

That will be painful. Makes hitting myself in the ear trying to start the stihl seem unremarkable.