Page 1375 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 375875127513251365137413751376 ... LastLast
Results 48,091 to 48,125 of 48336

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

I wish I was game enough to say I'll bet I never use it but I'll bet I never use it. But I am going to try it out if only so that I can say I've used it.

Rick
    Well that's torn it.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I've used a trisail. Excellent for assisting and steadying in horrible conditions when motorsailing. Of course, it's even better to not need it but that takes brains and patience. Still if you're going to sail it's a good bet you'll find yourself needing it eventually.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

It's hard to describe just how hard it is to run a trysail on a seperate track when you have lazy Jacks. Yes yes, you run the Jacks forward, but somehow it still becomes a cluster.
    Anyway , we have ours in a sausage tied up to the boom beside or with the main, hanked on the track so it's ready to go . Never used it except for testing. But it happily just lives there while we're away, swap halyard and away she goes.

Mike’s boat lives another day .

E287EC58-9F33-43FC-906B-CBD873A0136A.jpg

Off to the boat till Monday, on duty tomorrow. I was planning to get my tender in the water but we have substantial rain forecast for the weekend.
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Bugger. Happily drilling more holes in the deck and the bloody Ryobi One drill sh!ts itself. Motor turns but no drive. I'm thinking plastic gears. I've always been unhappy with the battery life of Ryobi One but of course by the time you work that out you are kind of locked in with the rattle gun, torx driver, torch, another drill, jigsaw and whatever other crap Father Christmas decided to drop under the tree. I guess I'll carry on with Ryobi until the other drill dies then change over to something more robust.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I don't use my lazy jacks. I have them tied away to the shrouds.
    The sail cover goes over the top of the boom and ties underneath and the lazy jacks get in the way. Everynow and then i hook them up if i'm out for the weekend and won't use the cover - but they invariably catch the head of the main when hoisting.

It's funny, because i always wanted lazy jacks......
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I haven't had lazy jacks on Masina but I'm fitting them soon. I'll leave them forward on the mast when sailing and moored. They'll only be up when dropping the sail. It's really only to save guests from that moment of surprise they have when, having survived the day and beginning recovery from seasickness, they find themselves buried under a world of sail, banished to the cabin or out in the rain on the after deck. I'm also hoping to tempt fate just a little less by not having to balance on wet coaming quite as often.

The trisail is a bit bigger than I need but it has a reefing point so, rather than keep it on deck, I'll keep it handy and rig it earlier at full size. I can reef it when the SHTF if necessary. No extra track.

Rick

My big old steel boat had a Dutchman flaking setup, which was brilliant. 2 vertical lines running from boom to topping lift, threaded back and forth through special slotted grommets in the main halfway between full battens. Nothing ever got stuck. The sail always dropped perfectly. Loved it.

Lazy jacks are a must with JR.
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Lazy jacks are a must full stop.

The helms person on WB gets buried regularly under the fully battened heavyweight sail due to her long 4.75 m boom .

We manage.

142.6mm since 9am yesterday. It's is bucketing down right now. We will get over 200mm in a 24 hour period by the look of it.

From the song The Overlanders...

I come from the Northern plains, where the girls and grass are scanty
    Where the creeks run dry or ten feet high and it's either drought or plenty

Flash flood warnings are out for the GC after just having received 86 mm in the last hour. M1 is closed at Helensvale.

Gold Coast has had 300mm so far.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    From the song The Overlanders...

I come from the Northern plains, where the girls and grass are scanty
    Where the creeks run dry or ten feet high and it's either drought or plenty

What rhymes with scanty?

Well, panty? This would open up scope for additional verses, albeit inappropriate ones.

Rick

And 'aunty' if the song is sung with one of those faux-Irish-colonial accents - but then you'd have to put up with people like me in the audience throwing up, throwing things or lowering the tone in other ways.

On the other hand, including 'aunty' in the song might present a challenge more interesting than the much easier options presented by 'panty'.

You could try 'anty' and provide a fairly accurate depiction of the culinary experiences of life in the bush.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 01-17-2020 at 05:23 PM.

I suppose if sung on a boat it would be a shanty. And you'd have to go with panty. And a deck made of Meranti.

Oh joy, my sleeping bag is wet, I had the forehatch open a bit under the tender and of course the rain got in.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I suppose if sung on a boat it would be a shanty. And you'd have to go with panty. And a deck made of Meranti.

If you used 'panty', you wouldn't use 'deck'. A Kiwi might. But a Kiwi would have been happy with 'plenty'.

But a Kiwi wouldn't have a song about sparse grass anyway. They'd have songs about plenty of sheep instead. And there are already too many inappropriate verses put about by disgruntled Australian rugby clubs on the topic of Kiwi rugby players and sheep. Best not to go there.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Oh joy, my sleeping bag is wet, I had the forehatch open a bit under the tender and of course the rain got in.
    If it had been a blanket, this interruption would have been more fitting.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    If it had been a blanket, this interruption would have been more fitting.

Rick
    Humping old bluey out back.

Now that's certainly lowered the tone! Shame on you Mr Moffatt! And I'll bet Ol' Bluey would have something to say about it!

Figuratively speaking - I don't condone gambling.

Rick

I didn't think the tone could be lowered. So congratulations Bruce well played sir! Lucky you got in before I developed my thoughts about Gary going to sleep thinking about sea shanties about panties (and sheep) and woke up In a wet sleeping bag.

Oh, I thought Gary was just being a wet blanket!

Rick

Interesting clinker boat for sale up on the Sunshine Coast ,after seeing some additional pictures of the damage I suspect rotten planks. Me thinks I won’t go for a drive.

5BFE883B-FEBD-4384-A7D8-23F1395A3078.jpg 57FF51E2-048B-4472-9B0A-B82C2FA5058D.jpg

Boat content!!!!!!

I love those old style, heavy rowing or motor boats. But the only way I would have one would be if I Iived right on the water and had it set up on a little railed slipway.

The planks might be okay, Tom. They're steamed frames which do usually dry out and break and the planks probably need a bit of refastening. I wouldn't recommend that you buy it but, being an open, traditional boat, I think it would be a very enjoyable restoration to do. And no deck!! to squeeze under.

Rick

Thanks for your opinion .It is an interesting plywood boat built by Gibson or similar builder in Sydney in around 60s.
    The seller bought her 4 years ago in Yamba ,and indicated a friend did the damage by winching boat on the trailer which would be possible. The trailer looks reasonable and she has a 8hp Yanmar with low hours which does make her very attractive.
    Spot on with your observation of having to tighten up rivets ,since the seller indicated she took several weeks to take up ,and also has an automatic bilge pump installed.

I would think one would have to strip the inside and outside of the hull at least to the waterline to tighten rivets ?
    What is your opinion.

Come to think she would be almost perfect converted to an electric boat

Well, being 1960s plywood it probably has preservative in it which delays rot but actually soaks in water. I'd be inclined to let it dry right out and then strip all the paint off. It's probably coachwood ply, which is really good stuff. The veneers are thin, even for plywood, so cautious sanding would be the go. The plywood will rot so you'd want to have a really good look, especially around damage, fastenings and water traps.

Rick

Well the rain has stopped for now but the humidity has just gone through the roof. I was standing on the dock having a chat and even though it's overcast the heat from the sun was intense.

Time for a new roof!

Rick

Corrugated irony perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Well the rain has stopped for now but the humidity has just gone through the roof. I was standing on the dock having a chat and even though it's overcast the heat from the sun was intense.
    My brother's partner up in Emerald Qld just made the same comment about the humidity. They had big hail too.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!