Page 1374 of 1392 FirstFirst ... 3748741274132413641373137413751384 ... LastLast
Results 48,056 to 48,090 of 48703

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

The local chandler at Mornington say there a a few cruing yachties stuck in Victoria becaus of the east coast fires. I presum because the port hop up the coast a day or two at a time, and some places are not viable now. Another thing might be visibility from smoke, like sailing in a whiteout a K or so off the beach.

Makes sense. I would think it would be concern about ports rather than visibility. Was that little bay east of Wilson's Prom affected? Lakes Entrance and Eden would be questionable, I think, and maybe Jervis Bay could be considered vulnerable?

Rick

As a lurker and not living in the antipodies, I have kept out of the discussion.
    I wish you all a safe and healthy 2020.
    While Bruce is well visible on other social media, a lot of you aren't. Maybe a roll call to establish who's OK and/or who needs help in these fiery times would be useful, e.g. by just cut and pasting this and adding "I'm Ok" then letting following members do likewise. I appreciate that no one wants to spend more time than necessary on-line when trying to save their lives and/or property.
    Cheers and wishing you all that it cools down and you have some rain where necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Makes sense. I would think it would be concern about ports rather than visibility. Was that little bay east of Wilson's Prom affected? Lakes Entrance and Eden would be questionable, I think, and maybe Jervis Bay could be considered vulnerable?

Rick
    Wilson's Prom was largely spared so I believe Refuge Cove would be as viable as it always has been, i.e. beautiful, remote, sheltered, no facilities. Lakes Entrance may be hectic. Eden was threatened but spared, and Twofold Bay is huge. I'd stop there and be aware of the likelihood of not getting access to facilities. Jervis Bay - the fires certainly have threatened towns like Vincentia but I'd still moor there.

I have a mate doing a delivery trip from Gladstone to Adelaide, currently east and a bit south of Sydney. An approaching southerly will make it wise for him to stop somewhere on that coast. I'll watch what his decisions are as he is a very wise passage-maker and an excellent sailor. It will be interesting to see where he stops and what he sees. I passed up the opportunity to be considered to crew for him on the current trip and I'm now thinking I should have put my hand up for it.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

You should have. Def's. You'd be an asset on board. Maybe you still can?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Well the paddock wedding is finally done. It was a huge success. We might do more. Could be a dollar in it. Quite pleased with the bar and tables I knocked together. The owner of the property we look after nearby has been for a couple of weeks and gone back to the UK. Our time is almost our own again! Yippee! Loading the car with tools and things and heading to the boat. I found a container full of bronze nails which I promised to post to Rick ages ago. Blushing. On the way soon!

That looked like a very nice setting for a wedding Phil. And I do believe there is good money to be made in weddings especially if you or yours can decorate the setting with flowers plants and White Thule works wonders .

In the past we have had a wedding ,18th Birthdays and several large family gatherings by simply setting up two Marquises serving up to 70 people in one corner of our yard ,utulizing rented chairs and tables with minimal decorations.

Nellie worked her decorating magic with our low cost wedding at Twin Towns including the 900mm styrofoam wedding cake, inspired by what was happening in Canada then ,and her ideas of possibly switching careers from fashion to weddings.
    The exquisite wedding dress she made was fit for royalty, having spend several hundred hours on beading alone.

Looks great Phil! Excellent!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    The local chandler at Mornington say there a a few cruing yachties stuck in Victoria becaus of the east coast fires. I presum because the port hop up the coast a day or two at a time, and some places are not viable now. Another thing might be visibility from smoke, like sailing in a whiteout a K or so off the beach.

As I type I can hear the ships sounding their foghorns as they negotiate the southern shipping channel in Port Phillip.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

My steering pedestal is back in, sealed with butyl tape sandwiched between the base and the cockpit floor. Which means I can soon hose out the cockpit. Yay. Having some trouble getting the shaft under the cockpit to go just where it ought to be. Everything seems a little tighter than when I dismantled it. I don't want to hit anything too hard for fear of breaking something, or not being able to take it apart again later on. Strange that it should be so difficult. Time to take a break and come back another day with a bit of scrap hardwood to cushion the hammer blows. Only needs another cm or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    You should have. Def's. You'd be an asset on board. Maybe you still can?

He's heading for Eden now with landfall there within the next 24 hours, ahead of the approaching Southerly. I got my data wrong on the extent of the approaching system and he is likely to be stuck in Twofold Bay for a few days at least. I was thinking a short day and a half then around the corner with some wind up the clacker to Refuge, but it looks like a bugger of a job to get around the corner. If he pulls out all stops and charges into it he won't be comfortable at all at all at all. It's a 40 footer.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Don't know why he'd want to charge into it. Looks like a snotty southerly followed by a few favourable days, and then another bit of nastiness by the time he's off Robe. Might want to take a break in Eden and wait for the next favourable weather, then stop and pick up some tinned butter in Portland and wait for the next front to blow through. I wouldn't really like to be on the foredeck looking for Cray pots and kelp in that. Seems to be a very regular pattern of weather at the moment, no need to fight the nasty bits.

There's a lot of advantages in sailing the right way around - anticlockwise. Sadly my life story is full of clockwise passages.

First rain here for a couple of months, which is a welcome relief.
    We don't usually get too stressed about fire here apart from normal precautions , but with the developed awareness caused by the Australian tragedy I think we're all a bit concerned.
    Anyway , with a couple of hundred trees felled on our wee block, mostly young acmena and cherry pests ,I'm rapt with the rain even though we had a chipper booked for today.
    Cancelled that an hour ago, so now the big work day will be tomorrow.

[QUOTE=brucemoffatt;6068132]There's a lot of advantages in sailing the right way around - anticlockwise. Sadly my life story is full of clockwise passages Quote.

I disagree you should be celebrating those passages as achievements, it takes a contrarian with a degree of courage and tenacity to tackle passages others only dream of.

Passage making is never easy even when departing at the right time of year with the prevailing winds.

IMMEDIATE forecast is for severe thunderstorms, damaging winds, large hail and up to 50mm of rain causing flash flooding. Reports of flooding on the wastern side of Port Phillip
    Outside here it's 37c, oppressive, windless and the weather radar just shows smoke.
    Typical bloody Australia!

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Piles of rain for central NSW on the horizon.
    Be interesting to see how it fares. They'll welcome it I'm sure. Hope it falls in the right places.

At the coast it will be bucketing down, it appears. I was going to go for a sail with the family, but they won't be keen. Which gives me a dignified out 😀.
    Though putting the sails would be nice. Have a peek and wash the spot off. There was a lot of embers around the decks..... shudder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Unless it all falls in the sea, it'll all be falling in the right places! But yes, let's hope it all falls where it's needed most and let's hope that includes Gulgong!

I bought a sail today. I hope I never use it, although I am looking forward to trying it out.

Rick

I took number 3 child down to the boat this afternoon to do synchronised shaft and bearing bashing. Well somewhere between bashing and tapping. We won. The steering shaft is now where it should be.

Unless it all falls in the sea, it'll all be falling in the right places! But yes, let's hope it all falls where it's needed most and let's hope that includes Gulgong!

I bought a sail today. I hope I never use it, although I am looking forward to trying it out.

Rick
    A bit of passage making in your future? I must admit I'm not fully convinced of the need for a trysail. But I'm probably mistaken.

Smoke is still about despite the rain, forecast is for the return of the smoke likely for the Australia Day weekend. We expect the regatta will be negatively effected, a sham especially as we have employed Oliver Hartas* to make a record of the regastta this year. A not inconsiderable expense. Nevertheless it will be what it is.
    Now that the sailing area is mostly sand free except on an extreme low tide we are having a serious look at our safety procedures, allowing for restricted vision from our tower.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97sjtym3ZTo

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    A bit of passage making in your future? I must admit I'm not fully convinced of the need for a trysail. But I'm probably mistaken.

You never need it til you need it.

Rick

Of course. Just like Telstra. But I think Id work down to my smallest staysail. Or the motor. Or bare poles. And one of those would be about it. I guess my boat has so much windage that I can't see a trysail doing anything useful. I do actually carry one. It's bright orange, so good for spotter planes if nothing else.

Last edited by Phil Y; 01-15-2020 at 05:45 AM.

Masina's light and easily driven. In a real blow, I'll always use the staysail. For just a few dollars, I now have the option of just the trisail or trisail and staysail. I won't worry about getting s storm jib.

Rick

Masina's light and easily driven. In a real blow, I'll always use the staysail. For just a few dollars, I now have the option of just the trisail or trisail and staysail. I won't worry about getting s storm jib.

Rick
    A trisail also works well for heaving to in hairy conditions or even motoring with no wind in very confused seas ,rather than flogging your main sail to shreds.
    I have always kept the trisail in its own bag permanently attached to the mast pre rigged on its own seperate track ready to deploy with a heavy single sheet.

That's pretty much how I expect it'll be used, if it's ever used. But I won't put any extra track on the mast. It's pretty simple to dump the main slides and slip this thing on.

Rick

Another consideration I like with a seperate track is that I have always used stainless slides rather than plastic slugs.
    The plastic gear may not survive a knockdown or heavy white water from a breaker.
    Then again all my voyaging was done in much smaller vessels than Masina .

I have plastic slugs that are reinforced with steel so they're pretty much unbreakable.

I try to keep Masina as simple as I can.

Rick

What I meant was Congratulations, new sails are always good.

I wish I was game enough to say I'll bet I never use it but I'll bet I never use it. But I am going to try it out if only so that I can say I've used it.

Rick

I have a trisail with a separate track. I've never used it - i should just for practice.
    How do you keep it permanently attached to the mast and it not be in the way?

My "trisail" is actually a tiny bulletproof staysail.

Not really enjoying drilling holes in my deck. Already one came out in the wrong place and has been filled with epoxy. But I did get to buy a really cool tool. It's just right angle adapter for my drill, but it's quite beautiful. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I have a trisail with a separate track. I've never used it - i should just for practice.
    How do you keep it permanently attached to the mast and it not be in the way?
    The trisail requires a seperate track that needs to run below the boom in order to have it permanently attached ,the sail folded tightly in a custom sail bag and lashed to the mast.

Cool, I must have a look at my set up. Might be possible.
    Though my storm sail is a butch affair. I'm not sure it'll tidy away neatly.
    But worth checking out.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk