Page 1354 of 1392 FirstFirst ... 3548541254130413441353135413551364 ... LastLast
Results 47,356 to 47,390 of 48701

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Wot Rick said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Not sure if this sort of show is your cup of tea John but there's every chance it will come to Perth. Jamie's company now has a local person in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne, and we've recently hosted a Perth person who could be the key to producing a tour to WA. There's a couple of shows in the 'Myth and Music' theme already, with several more to be added. So far Midnight Sun (Icelandic) and Once and Future (English).
    Thanks Bruce.

One daughter is at the Conservatorium (UWA), and studies voice with Sara Macliver (voice of an angel, and a terrific lady to boot), so she is into Lieder, which is what your son's show looks to me to be really similar to. So yes, I reckon there'd be interest over here, among that crowd anyway. We're pretty well connected as a result of the various things we've respectively been involved with, so if you get some dates let me know via PM and I'll push it out through the network. Can't hurt.

I personally hardly go to anything, except my own girls' shows (G&S, Margaret Pride's choir, and their solo stuff), so it would be unlikely I'd make it. But it does look good, really good.

Cheers,
    John.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    No I don't want an OK. And I've sailed a fireball, there's one at the club. However I have been offered a sailing Whitehall with road and beach trailer, oars, electric outboard, sails etc…………………….
    And yes I do want it but……… If it just sits in my big shed and get's used 4 times a year? And then I'll be 77 this season and have two sailboats at the club, one at home, and a sea kayak that hardly ever sees the water……...
    Reduce down to just the Whitehall.
    Might be nice to have just one beautiful boat to look after and use. If the trailer and rigging are all good, easy to launch and travel with...... No need to be wary of varnish, just enjoy it and touch it up without remorse. Instead of paddling the kayak, row the Whitehall.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Despite the fact the race has always been on a Sunday, how is it I can look at the invite and see race time Saturday 31st and still think it's on the Sunday!?
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Some frantic messaging and a phone call has ensured my crew member will still make it.
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Diversion, or procrastination. Possibly even valid boat activity. I put a bit of Polish and elbow grease into my davits. I think they will come up OKish.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Thanks Bruce.

One daughter is at the Conservatorium (UWA), and studies voice with Sara Macliver (voice of an angel, and a terrific lady to boot), so she is into Lieder, which is what your son's show looks to me to be really similar to. So yes, I reckon there'd be interest over here, among that crowd anyway. We're pretty well connected as a result of the various things we've respectively been involved with, so if you get some dates let me know via PM and I'll push it out through the network. Can't hurt.

I personally hardly go to anything, except my own girls' shows (G&S, Margaret Pride's choir, and their solo stuff), so it would be unlikely I'd make it. But it does look good, really good.

Cheers,
    John.
    One of the sad things about moving out of the city was losing so much music. Oh it still goes on, the Sunday and mid week recitals, the opera, the jazz but I am less and less enamoured with driving round Melbourne and I eventually stopped going. There is a reasonalble arts scene more or less locally and a good music venue about 75 minutes away over country roads, however you have to stay stone cold sober because of the kangaroos and loose livestock.

One of the sad things about moving out of the city was losing so much music. Oh it still goes on, the Sunday and mid week recitals, the opera, the jazz but I am less and less enamoured with driving round Melbourne and I eventually stopped going. There is a reasonalble arts scene more or less locally and a good music venue about 75 minutes away over country roads, however you have to stay stone cold sober because of the kangaroos and loose livestock.
    That would be Meeniyan? Buy a campervan n stay over. Most acts would be worth it.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Rafted up to Wee Barkie.

20190830_132104.jpg

Windy and cold...looking forward to a hot meal and a cold beer.

Raft up looks like fun. I guess you guys are not infested with massive wake producing launches like we have here in the west.

Just had a chat with Purri.

I didn't realise he was on a six month leave of absence.
    He's off to Europe for five weeks from next week; Hungary for the world rowing championships. Then a few weeks of food and wine in Italy.

He was in good spirits.

Seems like everyone is off to Europe. We leave Monday night.

I'm out of sync; I got back early this month after the Windsurfer worlds in Lake Garda. It's a stunning place, with 2000m high mountains collapsing into the lake. If you ride about 12ks, partly through tunnels into the cliffs, you come to another lake big enough for yachts, perched 600m above Garda. It's also famous for its reliable winds.

I was there for the reincarnation of the original Windsurfer, the class that created the sport. The sport went mad for strong-wind high-tech high-performance, which was huge fun but completely unsustainable. The sport shrank to about 5% of its former size and the original Windsurfer was deemed totally uncool and basically died everywhere but here in Oz. Even here it was very quiet for a while. My wife and I stepped in, threw in a few ks cash for all the things you need for a national title (deposit on the venue, trophies, club fees, T shirts, etc) and ran the nationals for three years with the fleet recovering. We kicked off a kid's class, beginner's division, etc, and I was awarded the honour of becoming the second life member in 40 years. A while later, the Italians saw that windsurfing had collapsed, looked at the Australian scene, and revived their own original Windsurfer fleet. Then the world's biggest manufacturer, which builds about 90% of the boards for all the brands, created a new version of the original Windsurfer.

The whole idea is to rebuild the sport as it was; something simple, cheap, accessible,fun, and open to all. The whole elitist high-speed high-tech stuff, fun though it is, was thrown away. All of the big brands were invited to share the project, and all of them were told to keep the costs down. It's all about being welcoming, to all vendors and users, no matter who they are, where they sail, or how much they can afford. The class also made sure that the new boards were not generally faster and used the old rigs, so anyone who couldn't buy one of the new boards (and we are blessed with a builder/agent who loves the class so sold them for $750) could keep using an old one without losing out much.

Now, within about 18 months, it's the world's fastest-growing class, out-selling the Laser. Our last Australian titles was the second biggest in the country - bigger than the Laser. We're back to being a full International class, and the manufacturers are hundreds of boards behind demand. We had 170 or something entries at the worlds, from 17 countries. There were about 10 Olympic veterans, including the world's current Olympic class No 1, and professional World Cup wavesailing and high-speed champs. There was a street parade, France and Japan had film crews; it was a bit like the first time I was here for a worlds, when the sport was at its peak and there were autograph hunters running around.

The racing is done in weight divisions, and my division ended up with the Olympic #1, the guy who just got second in the Olympic class Youth worlds, the world Junior champ, the former junior champ, etc. When those guys came up against the other weight divisions it was a whitewash; three older guys including me panted behind them. In freestyle (tricks), the only event held without weight divisions, I took the conservative option in the heats. The final was cancelled due to weather so I ran third, and to be honest that was more than enough for me.

It's a class that means a lot to me, and I teared up during the pre-race street parade. Sailing is such a joy; such a complete fascination in so many ways. To see sailing in its simplest, cheapest (production) form is not just about sailing - it is about what it means to be sharing one of the great joys of life with everyone, whether they are rich, poor, skilled, unskilled, inexperienced or expert. It's about the simplicity that strips away everything but the bare minimum of just enough flotation and the simplest rig that can sail well in all weathers. It's a rejection of hype and excess, and a celebration of minimalism, egalitarianism (if that's a word) and accessibility.

'Scuse the rant, but it's been Friday night drinks. :-)
    Last edited by Chris249; 08-30-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Any reason is a good reason to go to Italy. I've seen that lake in the flesh. Nice place.

Well done Chris. I used to sail a TC Runner if I recall correctly. I reckon I still have the mast and sails somewhere, but lost the board years ago. Never raced. Had some great times. Good on you for reviving the class. It's amazing what one guy with some passion and commitment can achieve.

Great story Chris! Thanks

I used to windsurf when I was a teenager and I wondered why it kind of faded away, especially as I watch the popularity of paddle boards.

Morning is clearing in Wollongong.
    Quick coffee at the harbour,

Before Grand Final!

Under 14,s

Another old class that is growing too, new boats being built and old ones restored.
    https://australiansailfish.wordpress.com/blog/

In Christchurch this morning, arrived last night. Hoping to learn something about Eric Cox, before heading off to tour the rest of NZ for three weeks.

Hello Kiwis.

Regards,
    John.

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Great story Chris! Thanks

I used to windsurf when I was a teenager and I wondered why it kind of faded away, especially as I watch the popularity of paddle boards.

Absolutely, great story Chris!

Windrush Storm 10 was my favourite.

Well what a top day.
    8.5 nautical miles.
    Time 3hr 47m
    Max speed 7.2 knots.
    Average was only around 2.5knots but that was the first hour or two with tide against us. Have some great video taken from the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    I'm out of sync; I got back early this month after the Windsurfer worlds in Lake Garda. It's a stunning place, with 2000m high mountains collapsing into the lake. If you ride about 12ks, partly through tunnels into the cliffs, you come to another lake big enough for yachts, perched 600m above Garda. It's also famous for its reliable winds.

I was there for the reincarnation of the original Windsurfer, the class that created the sport. The sport went mad for strong-wind high-tech high-performance, which was huge fun but completely unsustainable. The sport shrank to about 5% of its former size and the original Windsurfer was deemed totally uncool and basically died everywhere but here in Oz. Even here it was very quiet for a while. My wife and I stepped in, threw in a few ks cash for all the things you need for a national title (deposit on the venue, trophies, club fees, T shirts, etc) and ran the nationals for three years with the fleet recovering. We kicked off a kid's class, beginner's division, etc, and I was awarded the honour of becoming the second life member in 40 years. A while later, the Italians saw that windsurfing had collapsed, looked at the Australian scene, and revived their own original Windsurfer fleet. Then the world's biggest manufacturer, which builds about 90% of the boards for all the brands, created a new version of the original Windsurfer.

The whole idea is to rebuild the sport as it was; something simple, cheap, accessible,fun, and open to all. The whole elitist high-speed high-tech stuff, fun though it is, was thrown away. All of the big brands were invited to share the project, and all of them were told to keep the costs down. It's all about being welcoming, to all vendors and users, no matter who they are, where they sail, or how much they can afford. The class also made sure that the new boards were not generally faster and used the old rigs, so anyone who couldn't buy one of the new boards (and we are blessed with a builder/agent who loves the class so sold them for $750) could keep using an old one without losing out much.

Now, within about 18 months, it's the world's fastest-growing class, out-selling the Laser. Our last Australian titles was the second biggest in the country - bigger than the Laser. We're back to being a full International class, and the manufacturers are hundreds of boards behind demand. We had 170 or something entries at the worlds, from 17 countries. There were about 10 Olympic veterans, including the world's current Olympic class No 1, and professional World Cup wavesailing and high-speed champs. There was a street parade, France and Japan had film crews; it was a bit like the first time I was here for a worlds, when the sport was at its peak and there were autograph hunters running around.

The racing is done in weight divisions, and my division ended up with the Olympic #1, the guy who just got second in the Olympic class Youth worlds, the world Junior champ, the former junior champ, etc. When those guys came up against the other weight divisions it was a whitewash; three older guys including me panted behind them. In freestyle (tricks), the only event held without weight divisions, I took the conservative option in the heats. The final was cancelled due to weather so I ran third, and to be honest that was more than enough for me.

It's a class that means a lot to me, and I teared up during the pre-race street parade. Sailing is such a joy; such a complete fascination in so many ways. To see sailing in its simplest, cheapest (production) form is not just about sailing - it is about what it means to be sharing one of the great joys of life with everyone, whether they are rich, poor, skilled, unskilled, inexperienced or expert. It's about the simplicity that strips away everything but the bare minimum of just enough flotation and the simplest rig that can sail well in all weathers. It's a rejection of hype and excess, and a celebration of minimalism, egalitarianism (if that's a word) and accessibility.

'Scuse the rant, but it's been Friday night drinks. :-)
    Excellent Chris! I visited the New Windsurfer stand at the Sydney Boatshow and talked to the enthusiastic guy there for ages. The new boards look great and sooooo much lighter than the originals. Perfect for your dam! Do you do the bollocks-endangering rail ride thing? I've never been game! I've actually been given an original Windsurfer so I guess I ought to dust it off and meetya in the middle soon!

Well done on all your efforts to help revive this great sport!!!!

Rick

Another old class that is growing too, new boats being built and old ones restored.
    https://australiansailfish.wordpress.com/blog/
    There's one on Gumtree .....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    In Christchurch this morning, arrived last night. Hoping to learn something about Eric Cox, before heading off to tour the rest of NZ for three weeks.

Hello Kiwis.

Regards,
    John.
    We turned on the good weather just for you, wasn't it a great day! Enjoy your visit.
    This is for sale up in Nelson, she's steel, but may be of some interest https://trademe.nz/motors/boats-mari...ing/2008166822

I mentioned a while ago that mum had bought a new house, well yesterday was moving day. The banks were very efficient, with the lawyer giving us the go ahead just before midday. We had the place sort of liveable by about 6pm, but I had to do an emergency induction hob pot shop this morning, as we missed that minor technical detail.
    Anyway, we can now relax, and head away next Friday on our Sydney to Melbourne road trip. Talk about a load off - its been an 18 month mission what with one thing and another.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Beaut day. I thought it was always like this?

What a glorious Cox design! Thanks for the link.

I’m a little surprised at how extensive the earthquake damage is. Acres of vacant ground around the city. I was last here in ‘88. Sad to see the condition of the cathedral, and no Wizard. Probably swallowed by the earth, as he probably deserved, and perhaps half expected.

Enjoy your trp to the Wst Islnd.

Cheers,
    John.

Wee Barkie at the finish.
    IMG_0226(2).jpg

IMG_0227(2).jpg
    David was my crew and Rosemary his wife has taken some excellent photos and video of Redwing under sail.

And on that subject, it seem the Whitehall with all gear including sails and trailer will be a gift. And it also seems that the International Cadet will likely find a home as well as a gift, with the trailer I got free a month ago. Which means that in sum boat total, no change.
    I just haven't told Anne yet…………….

Nearly ended up in the water this morning, stepping back onto the boat my foot slipped and went over the side. Luckily I was hanging on, so now I have a grazed shin to add to the war wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The implications of that line could have consequences, because I have to stop talking to Nellie.

And on that subject, it seem the Whitehall with all gear including sails and trailer will be a gift. And it also seems that the International Cadet will likely find a home as well as a gift, with the trailer I got free a month ago. Which means that in sum boat total, no change.
    I just haven't told Anne yet…………….
    Good for you Jeff You will just need a bigger shed.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Nearly ended up in the water this morning, stepping back onto the boat my foot slipped and went over the side. Luckily I was hanging on, so now I have a grazed shin to add to the war wounds.
    I did similar the other day. Stepped on the edge of the deck which I've left gloss. No deck grip. No foot hold. Saved myself by grabbing a shroud. Getting older I reckon.