Page 1345 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 3458451245129513351344134513461355 ... LastLast
Results 47,041 to 47,075 of 48386

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Thanks Rick. That's actually a very nice tutorial. For the record, I don't like iced vovos.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Earth to Duncan .....

The current WB magazine has a big article about Merlin's restoration in Melbourne (?). I haven't read it yet but the pictures are nice.

Rick
    And there's a Dragon for sale down in Franklin for cheap. I've watched it sit there for many years. Looks like it's cover has finally succumbed to the weather. Be quick.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Thanks Rick. That's actually a very nice tutorial. For the record, I don't like iced vovos.

I've never really tried foam brushes properly but I know that some people say they're great for varnishing.

Yep, Iced Vo Vos and pineapple doughnuts ......

Rick

My fairlead chocks look so pretty with a coat of epoxy it's almost a shame to paint them, but I'm not falling for that trap. #noexteriorbrightworkonmyboat

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I don't like the poly varnishes, they're not easy to touch up. You need to go all the way back to wood and start again.
    Mohair rollers is new to me - i use them for almost every paint job, and for epoxy, never thought of using them for varnish.

Nice description of varnishing Rick - that is exactly where my experience of varnishing is leading me. I still leave a lot to be desired. (A lot).

Sealer coat onto raw timber - i have thinned the first coat, a little, with turps. Thin enough that it soaks right into the wood.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Was in the process of reattaching my cockpit cover and a bloke says hello from the carpark. He’s just been cleaning out his fathers shed, do I want any boat bits? I ask what has he got so he gets out a green shopping bag and a plastic box and brings it onto the wharf. I immediately spot some very useful stuff and ask what he wants for it? I can have it...my favourite price.
    So, two reels of braided line, a couple of blocks, a safety harness line and a small plastic bag of little bits and I’m happy. One of the other live aboards comes along and he gets a few blocks and a bunch of shackles. What’s left is mostly ss rigging wire, sail hanks, some rigging screws in various sizes and a boom brake. Stuff I don’t need.
    Last edited by WX; 07-26-2019 at 01:00 AM. Reason: added text
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

nice score.

That reminds me, i bought some bits to make a boom brake - using an abseiling figure 8 thingy.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

He had a boot full of tools as well but I only took an adjustable bevel square and some jigsaw blades.
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Was in the process of reattaching my cockpit cover and a bloke says hello from the carpark. He’s just been cleaning out his fathers shed, do I want any boat bits? I ask what has he got so he gets out a green shopping bag and a plastic box and brings it onto the wharf. I immediately spot some very useful stuff and ask what he wants for it? I can have it...my favourite price.
    So, two reels of braided line, a couple of blocks, a safety harness line and a small plastic bag of little bits and I’m happy. One of the other live aboards comes along and he gets a few blocks and a bunch of shackles. What’s left is mostly ss rigging wire, sail hanks, some rigging screws in various sizes and a boom brake. Stuff I don’t need.
    Good on that man....pass it on.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Now passed on to another yachtie to go through.

Beautiful day, might have a go at some painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    I would be interested in the boom brake or sail hanks if either still available. Cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I would be interested in the boom brake or sail hanks if either still available. Cheers Tom
    Sorry Tom it’s all been taken. I think I have some sail hanks you can have though.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Well it doesn’t get much more basic than that.

Sorry Tom it’s all been taken. I think I have some sail hanks you can have though.
    Ok . The boom brake would have been very useful , especially as I’m heading for Brisbane tomorrow with crap conditions .

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Ok . The boom brake would have been very useful , especially as I’m heading for Brisbane tomorrow with crap conditions .
    Sorry Tom. By the way do you have Colin Hood’s number? I lost it when I changed phones.

Spotted in an antique store today, sadly way beyond my price range at over $500.

IMG_0185.jpg

If you need anything to do with sewing machines, such as thread or needles I have found this company excellent to deal with.
    https://www.sewingmachinesaustralia.com.au/

And they seem to chuck in a little gift as well with your order.

Finishing off my deck seems to be going very slowly at the moment. Still preparing cleats and things. Epoxy, filler, undercoat, paint. So slow in this cold weather. I'm sure I could be getting on with many other things but my project management skills are very linear. It did occur to me the other day to start making a bunch of ply plates to go under the stanchion bases, and the same under the deck to back them up so I've started on that. We are going to Europe for most of September and I'd really like to have something other than my shroud plates to tie my dock lines to before then. That's when we tend to get our real winter/spring gales.

You mean plates under the deck for the stanchion bases?

Rick

Yes, My plan is actually a plate on top and a plate underneath. A sandwich. Both plates a cm or so bigger than the stanchion bases.

Got a coat of primer on some bits. It's a step forward.

Yes, My plan is actually a plate on top and a plate underneath. A sandwich. Both plates a cm or so bigger than the stanchion bases.
    But the layer on the deck will be tufnol, right?

Rick

Two coats of primer on my new cabin side panels today. Late next week I hope to have the top coats on...then I need a 4 day window of good weather and not much wind.
    Rain showers today...which I am not complaining about, I just wish we would get a couple of decent downpours.

Rick
    That's the same stuff those plastic breadboards are made out of aren't they? Came across various bits while cleaning up Peter's shed.

Rick
    It was going to be, but I dont have enough

That's the same stuff those plastic breadboards are made out of aren't they? Came across various bits while cleaning up Peter's shed.
    No, nothing like it. Tufnol is almost like fibreglass sheet made with resourcinol or something. A lot of circuit boards are made on thin tuffnol. Those old fashioned blocks with the brown fabric looking sides and stainless straps are tuffnol.

Hmm.

Any idea where I might be able to get some? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Well, you really ought to get some more or make up some pads with fibreglass. Plywood will crush and become saturated, and rot. Exposed edges will check. Sky will fall.

Bruce, buy it online. Bakelite sheet.

Rick

No, nothing like it. Tufnol is almost like fibreglass sheet made with resourcinol or something. A lot of circuit boards are made on thin tuffnol. Those old fashioned blocks with the brown fabric looking sides and stainless straps are tuffnol.
    Ah, okay. I shall look for it.
    Plenty in the UK but nothing in Oz according to Ebay.

Ah, okay. I shall look for it.
    Plenty in the UK but nothing in Oz according to Ebay.
    I have a supplier. I'll post the details when I can find them. They are on the east coast somewhere. They deliver.

Well, you really ought to get some more or make up some pads with fibreglass. Plywood will crush and become saturated, and rot. Exposed edges will check. Sky will fall.

Bruce, buy it online. Bakelite sheet.

Rick
    Yeah maybe. I've run out of money though and have to pay for a holiday in Europe. I figured I'd just epoxy the hell out of it. But you may be right.

It's very easy to make fibreglass plate. Just lay up sheets of glass saturated with resin. 5mm thick is plenty. Cut shapes out with a bandsaw, hacksaw, grinder ...

Gary/Bruce - Swift Supplies.

Rick

I was trying to be funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.