Page 1344 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 3448441244129413341343134413451354 ... LastLast
Results 47,006 to 47,040 of 47904

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I use a sleeping bag with an inner sheet bag for winter.
    You don't even have winter there!

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I just sharpened my 25mm bandsaw blade. I haven't tried it out yet, but it was easy (if it worked). A dremel with a cutting bit, just a touch on the front face. But it doesn't fix it if the setting is worn flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Must be a decent band saw. Mine is only 5 or 6 mm I reckon. And um, not much left in the way of teeth. I think maybe my son has been cutting nails with it.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Surely that should be BR?

True, if I am going to refer to Junk Rig as JR then you are indeed correct. Still don't understand why I see so many BRs motoring when there is a reasonable breeze. I Saturday going up river I had the outboard ticking over in neutral but was only because the wind was variable and sometimes not enough to bring the head around to tack. Came very close to the bank a couple of times when the wind veered slightly and back the sail at a vital moment. Which resulted in a frantic up tiller, an in gear outboard and a quick twist of throttle.
    Next trip really needs to be over the bar and some wide water for a few hours.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Must be a decent band saw. Mine is only 5 or 6 mm I reckon. And um, not much left in the way of teeth. I think maybe my son has been cutting nails with it.

I think mine used to be a school woodworking tool. 25mm is as big as can fit on the tyre. Nothing fancy. $100 on gumtree a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Ah OK. Thats funny, my bandsaw, table saw, planer, sander and dust extractor all came from a TAFE for about $600.

I've discovered another short length of pvc conduit so I can now do the third pocket on my cockpit cover, once I bring it home. And joy of joys the fibreglass I ordered for the new cabinside has arrived.
    Now I have ordered a spool of V69 thread for future sewing projects. Looking forward to trying out Peter's machine.

Slow progress towards refitting deck fittings. Mix epoxy, apply epoxy, wait 48 hours, sand, repeat. Eventually I will get to painting, which will be more of the same, and then finally go make some holes in the deck.

IMG_20190720_161553.jpg I found a new old stock compass on Gumtree for a good price from a second hand boat part seller in QLD. They shipped it to me with no issues. I'm trying to drill and seal all the holes before painting to prevent rot, so essentially doing a test fitout. I'm thinking of getting a Bimini for summer that will fit under the boom, so if there are any brands to avoid let me know

Tried out Peter's sewing machine today and I am impressed, I do believe it is smoother than the Husqvarna

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    IMG_20190720_161553.jpg I found a new old stock compass on Gumtree for a good price from a second hand boat part seller in QLD. They shipped it to me with no issues. I'm trying to drill and seal all the holes before painting to prevent rot, so essentially doing a test fitout. I'm thinking of getting a Bimini for summer that will fit under the boom, so if there are any brands to avoid let me know
    Nice find. Painting the cabin before final fit?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Tried out Peter's sewing machine today and I am impressed, I do believe it is smoother than the Husqvarna
    We are expecting great things then. Big shoes to fill.

We are expecting great things then. Big shoes to fill.

Well I have a new spool of thread on it's way and I have been given quite a lot of Sunbrella dodger bits. I'm bringing my cockpit cover back home tomorrow for one more alteration and I'm treating that as a prototype for a better one.

Nice find. Painting the cabin before final fit?

For sure. I'm doing the west system method of drilling holes, filling them with thickened epoxy and then redrilling them, for all the fittings. Then paint!

Well I'm rebuilding the orchard fence after a BIG branch came down. Fortunately I wasn't under it, but it's a worry all the same.

You probably know this one Jeff: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brog...oat/1223802981

Rick

Yes, we have one as a training boat, it's booked out for most of the season. I think we'll buy another, I'll talk to the commodore. But they may prefer a glass one for maintenance reasons. Club owned wooden boats do not get the care they should. As it happens I came by a very good trailer that is suitable last week, cheap.
    Jeff

According to the ad, this one's sailed in your regatta.

Rick

A nice VJ as well

Please view this ad:

VJ sailing skiff fully restored,
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seaf...nt=app_android

Price: $750

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    A nice VJ as well

Please view this ad:

VJ sailing skiff fully restored,
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seaf...nt=app_android

Price: $750
    That is nice! And a great price!! I have a VJ and plans to restore it. It's a newer one than this one so won't look quite as `classic' but I hope to bring it up to this standard. I wonder how many hours this guy put into this one? A labour of love, that's for sure, but ....... good on him!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Well I'm rebuilding the orchard fence after a BIG branch came down. Fortunately I wasn't under it, but it's a worry all the same.
    Yeah we got that too

This is sitting on the beach at Port Armond Melbourne unclaimed and up for grabs apparently. According to Ports and Harbour unclaimed for three months. Some fittings have been removed.
    09DF9737-4FDF-4032-B965-E7417B240F2B.jpg

Looks like a keel-less thunderbird

I've been doing a big clean up before I start the next stage of the new deck. No more fibreglass, epoxy and painting for a while, so a carload of tools and materials has gone home, and it's not completely unreasonable to restore a bit of order to the cabin. I'd rather have cushions and carpets on the dry boat than in the damp shed shed anyway. And it's a bit of a morale lifter. Sometimes though it feels like one step forward and 2 back. I took off the drop cloth which has been on the table since I started, and found a rather large crack in the finish. I'm not sure whether the timber is cracked or just the coating. But it's a nuisance either way.

Sand it and fill it, whatever it is! It'll be fine. Is it red cedar or mahogany? Either way, if you really hate it cracked, it would be easy to replace. But I'd just sand, fill, sand and tecoat.

Rick

Blackwood I think, but not sure. It had a lovely smooth glossy finish on it, something i fear I don't be able to match with my varnish skills. And sanding. Ugh. Easy to say. But I probably have to sand it back to nothing. And you know how that goes. Too much here, not enough there. Blaaaah.

Grain looks like cedar from here.

Just varnish with satin varnish. Easy. Use a foam roller.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Looks like a keel-less thunderbird
    That was my thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Grain looks like cedar from here.

Just varnish with satin varnish. Easy. Use a foam roller.

Rick
    I remember you said replacing a deck is easy.

I remember you said replacing a deck is easy.

I never said it wasn't a lot of work but, while laborious, it's one of the easier big jobs in boat restoration. I said it's easier, in the long run, than patching up forever more. Are you not glad you've done it? Sanding and varnishing a table is easy!

Rick

Certainly glad Ive done it. Not easy though. But I know what you mean. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

And yes, sanding and varnishing a table is easy. Just that it will look like sh!t when I'm finished.

No it won't. It's inside. Take the old varnish off with a heatgun and scraper and then sort out the crack with glue or splining or something. Then sand with 80. Then paint with sealer or even resin. Then sand with 120. Then paint with poly satin. Then sand with 240. Then paint with poly satin. Then sand with 240 - very lightly,or wet and dry 600 or so. I find 240 is fine. Then paint with poly satin. Keep going until happy. Don't sand too hard. Don't put any thick coats on - it's tempting but you'll always regret it. Paint edges before you do the main surface and don't worry about the edges when painting the main surface. Don't try and paint out any lumps, ridges, runs etc. - it just makes them worse. Sand them out. Don't expect it to look any good until you've put three coats on. I use short nap mohair rollers for poly satin but a brush is fine. Set the light up so you can check that you're not leaving any dry patches or runs. Make sure you're always working to a wet edge. I find varnishing at night and when it's cool to be easier. Certainly some of my varnishing jobs look better at night but I'm getting better at it. Some people like foam brushes but then, some people like Iced Vo Vos. Do it all by sight - sometimes varnishing feels right but isn't. Use angled light to check as you go. You usually can't go back over it later - it's better you fix as you go or leave it until dry then sand and recoat.

Easy.

There are lots of different and excellent ways to varnish a board. For interior, I like poly satin.

Be brave.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 07-25-2019 at 04:38 AM.

Earth to Duncan .....

The current WB magazine has a big article about Merlin's restoration in Melbourne (?). I haven't read it yet but the pictures are nice.

Rick

Put Peter’s sewing machine to work today sewing a batten pocket onto my cockpit cover. What a superb machine it is. I have a feeling it may handle the V90 thread I have but that test will have to wait.

768C218B-A21F-4F35-8992-83D261709D6F.jpg