Page 1338 of 1419 FirstFirst ... 33883812381288132813371338133913481388 ... LastLast
Results 46,796 to 46,830 of 49632

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I have a pretty decent library myself Gary, and wonder if it will all be dumped when I'm gone.

I dont think I need any books, thanks to the family though for the offer. If a Mirror is not compulsory for the Haul, Ill bring my Acorn. I cobbled it together back when I was at Uni

Acorn.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I’ve spoken to Carol about this but as you can imagine Peter built up quite a library on boats etc. Carol has offered me any I might be interested in but it got me thinking that some of you guys might be interested in a book or two as well.
    Now Jessie, Peter’s granddaughter has apparently expressed an interest in learning to sail and the local sailing club is planning structured lessons for newbies in the coming months. My idea was if there were any books of interest then people could offer a donation plus postage.
    Would anyone be interested in this idea?
    Certainly count me in on this.

I have relatively few boat books - I would be happy to donate some money even if there wasn't anything of particular interest to me, available.

Alex.
    You can never have too many clamps

I have a modest stack of boat books that nevertheless exceeds the available storage space, so contacted the moderator to ask if I could give them away here for the cost of postage.
    Answer came back: not allowed - money cannot change hands.
    But hopefully a donation for the cause mentioned would pass muster.

On another forum I recently gave some books to interested people and, mainly to save fiddling around with postage quotes and transferring small amounts, I just asked people to send me pre-paid satchels (pre-addressed as well) of the capacity required for their chosen books.
    It all worked quite well.

Cheers,
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill99; 07-03-2019 at 03:45 AM. Reason: bettter wording

Anything is okay as long as it's not faster than a Mirror. but Mirrors are preferred and will be granted Special Status - it being a Haul of Mirrors after all.

Gary, I'm always interested in boat books and happy to pay.

Rick

I just thought I would ask, I have books I rarely even look at anymore. Anyway let's see what happens.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Here we go again. This time I've masked off a few break points so I can go refill the roller tray, mix the next batch. Should have laid down some gloss in those spots before I started with grippy stuff but I guess that's how you learn. When I repaint the deck again in 10 years or so I'll know.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 07-03-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Bloody rain, we've had a sheet on the line for about two weeks now, just when it starts to get dry it rains again.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Bloody rain, we've had a sheet on the line for about two weeks now, just when it starts to get dry it rains again.
    You could hang it inside.

[QUOTE=RFNK;5927716]Yes, except that would involve a lot of rowing because there's not much wind in the river. I'd suggest Myall Shores or Mungo Brush as the base and sailing 'events' up past Violet Hill and in and around Myall Lake. The nicest time of year would be March - May, avoiding Easter.
    Rick[/QUOTE

Count me in .

I understand your Mirror preference suggestion, but would probably leave my options open as to wether I borrow a Mirror or use the Tammie, should this event go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Anything is okay as long as it's not faster than a Mirror. but Mirrors are preferred and will be granted Special Status - it being a Haul of Mirrors after all.

Gary, I'm always interested in boat books and happy to pay.

Rick
    Thanks Rick. In a curious coincidence, it was seeing a Mirror while on holiday at Smith's Lake over Christmas-New Year a decade ago that propelled me back into boatbuilding and sailing in that order. I didn't actually build a Mirror, though.

Cheers,
    Alex.
    You can never have too many clamps

Not a Mirror, but a nice project for any boat-deprived people in South Aust.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hend...oat/1222070244

That's really nice - thanks!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1N View Post
    Thanks Rick. In a curious coincidence, it was seeing a Mirror while on holiday at Smith's Lake over Christmas-New Year a decade ago that propelled me back into boatbuilding and sailing in that order. I didn't actually build a Mirror, though.

Cheers,
    Alex.
    We used to live at Smiths Lake. Smiths Lake would be another really good option for The Haul.

Rick

I might be interested, don't have a Mirror, or any sailing dinghy but I could always be windward rail ballast.

My interpretation of cobbled together just don’t look to close this new 7foot dinghy will be rough as guts, build by eye only. What could possibly go wrong?

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks like a Nutshell. But wider with an extra strake?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Looks like a Nutshell. But wider with an extra strake?

Right I attempted to take some patterns of the nutty, which then had to be redone as they where inaccurate, then I shortened it by a foot reduced it marginally and repositioned the moulds also eliminating one. It will fit my foredeck but may be funky.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

That's a good idea.
    I still have my molds for my nutty. I wondered about squishing them up and making a very light and dingable unit that would sit on my foredeck. Some nice pads to land it on and tie off to.
    You'll have to take your own templates for the strakes from the molds - how do the curves fair out? In theory is should be good as long as the spacing is proportional, its at the transoms that it would get wierd, they being at an angle.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Drizzle mixed with the occasional decent shower. Not conducive to working outside and I can't put more epoxy on the new cabinside panel as yesterdays coat is not dry. Oh well at least the tanks are full and the creek has started flowing.

Cold mornings and sunny days all week. Snow and hail from Sunday on. I'm pruning the last of the fruit trees.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    That's a good idea.
    I still have my molds for my nutty. I wondered about squishing them up and making a very light and dingable unit that would sit on my foredeck. Some nice pads to land it on and tie off to.
    You'll have to take your own templates for the strakes from the molds - how do the curves fair out? In theory is should be good as long as the spacing is proportional, its at the transoms that it would get wierd, they being at an angle.
    I just roughly set up my moulds following my intuition without observing proportional spacing as I don’t have any plans and the original dinghy was sold before I managed to get transom and bow angles or placements ,in relationship to the moulds.

The curves faired out reasonable when using a thin length of Dowling. I finished shaping the floor in CD ply which will be fibreglassed and planning to use some scarfed birch plywood shorts for the rest.
    I will keep the templates if it all works out

Well my deck is painted. That's a milestone. I'll find out later today if the second coat is affected by dew. But it is what it is. I'll remove all the masking tape today. That won't be fun. I have dropped my davits, pushpit, pulpit and steering pedestal off at a local stainless welder to have some work done. I think my next job is in the shed. Paint the cleats, Samson posts, lazarette hatch, anchor winch base and a few other bits and pieces, BEFORE I put them back on. Make some pads to go under the stanchion bases and jib tracks. Maybe make those first, and paint everything at one time. And frames for the new foredeck hatches. Flat hatches going on a curved deck.

Spoke to Carol Sibley this morning. She thinks she's coming to grips with it finally. She's making a list of Peter's boat books, he wanted us (the wider us of course) to have them she says.

Deck looks great. Should have used better quality masking tape. Getting it off the deck wasn't too bad as it's only been 2 days. The rubrail is another story, that's been a few weeks. Very regrettable.

The top photo looks great!

Rick

I spoke to Carol this morning and we will be doing the first shed sorting on Wednesday.

Good on you Gary. That will be tough.

I'm not sure I've ever tied up port side to. Certainly not since we've been in Adelaide. I'm going to have to very quickly break my habit of coming up the companionway, turning left and stepping off.

No steering or engine controls at the moment so I was busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger using a couple of long lines to turn her around. Push her out into the channel then make like a puppeteer. I can see how smaller boats have their attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Not a Mirror, but a nice project for any boat-deprived people in South Aust.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hend...oat/1222070244

If i could get it picked up I'd buy it.

Working with my phone at the moment. I'll look closee later. Just what I've been looking for. Even have a rig for it.

Hope you get it Jeff - looks great! And it's about time you got into a boat that's a bit drier!!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Hope you get it Jeff - looks great! And it's about time you got into a boat that's a bit drier!!!

Rick
    Very Swallows and Amazons.

I can pick it up for you Jeff. Not sure when I can deliver but we drive to Melbourne for one reason or another every now and then.

I saw it a few days ago and wondered if it's a Cadet. Used to be a few racing at Largs.