Page 1337 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 33783712371287132713361337133813471387 ... LastLast
Results 46,761 to 46,795 of 49951

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Yes please! So that's three! Great!

Rick

I'd better keep working on my deck.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Time for reflection is valuable though, don't you think? Mirrors are very good for that.

Rick

Enough opportunity for that on the boat.

Actually aHaul of Mirrors would be fun and I'd love to take part, but I think I'm a bit over committed on holidays at the moment. If it's next year some time I could be a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Actually aHaul of Mirrors would be fun and I'd love to take part, but I think I'm a bit over committed on holidays at the moment. If it's next year some time I could be a starter.

Well, it certainly won't be this year! Next year possibly but the following year is more likely ….

Rick

Well that could work

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, it certainly won't be this year! Next year possibly but the following year is more likely ….

Rick

It's good to have a plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

A few years ago, we, sort of notionally, discussed the idea of having a Mirror regatta. To make it happen, we'd all have to find, buy, steal or borrow a Mirror, get them sailing, and choose a meeting/sailing place - the Haul of Mirrors. So far we've accumulated . two Mirrors. I have one, Duncan has one and . Bruce sold his So, it's not quite the America's Cup but at least it's cheaper. I only have about 500 other projects happening but I still think we ought to pursue this one. So, someone ought to help by buying this https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-i...ghy/1222247786 which looks like a real bargain! If you need me to go and look at it, if you're really serious, then I can because it's close to my outlaws' place. No, I don't know the boat or the people and haven't seen the boat. I have nowhere to put another boat and would probably be murdered if I bought another one - which would only be worth it if it was a really good Moth.

Rick
    Dear Friends Down Under,
    I fully appreciate your problem, but think it's just that you're on the wrong platform for this issue. There are oodles of Mirrorists in a Facebook group called "People who love Mirror sailing dinghies" and many of them are in Oz. If some of you who happen to be in that group advertise the "Haul of Mirrors" idea there, you'd probably get more boats together. After all there is an active Mirrorist racing community in Australia.
    Here in Germany that's never been the case and the Mirroristi are an endangered species so that I was delighted to be able to assemble a microfleet of three boats (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...72#post5565872) last year.
    This year, we'd planned to meet in Woudsend, Netherlands and four had expressed an intention to come. The weather turned crummy and in the end (too much wind most of the time, see photo), I was the lone Mirrorist and in one of just two boats that actually got to sail on one day. We spent the rest of the time sightseeing.
    Here's wishing you all success in getting a BIG HAUL going.

Yes I think there might be a Mirror fan club or two Downunder. But If I'm not mistaken the Mirror here is the vehicle rather than the object of the excercise. The object being something of an on water EBS if you will. Mirrors are cheap and available and could be a great vehicle for our little Antipodean group to get together for a day or 3 and have a bit of fun on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by 62816inBerlin View Post
    Dear Friends Down Under,
    I fully appreciate your problem, but think it's just that you're on the wrong platform for this issue. There are oodles of Mirrorists in a Facebook group called "People who love Mirror sailing dinghies" and many of them are in Oz. If some of you who happen to be in that group advertise the "Haul of Mirrors" idea there, you'd probably get more boats together. After all there is an active Mirrorist racing community in Australia.
    Here in Germany that's never been the case and the Mirroristi are an endangered species so that I was delighted to be able to assemble a microfleet of three boats (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...72#post5565872) last year.
    This year, we'd planned to meet in Woudsend, Netherlands and four had expressed an intention to come. The weather turned crummy and in the end (too much wind most of the time, see photo), I was the lone Mirrorist and in one of just two boats that actually got to sail on one day. We spent the rest of the time sightseeing.
    Here's wishing you all success in getting a BIG HAUL going.
    A bit windy mate?
    The angle on those masts tells it all.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

That Mirror is certainly cheap enough...however I also have far too many projects.
    I’ve started cutting up a lot of the timber and plywood scraps cluttering my shed. All those odd shaped bits you think at the time could be used in something one day but never will. Apart from keeping us warm at night.

Yes I think there might be a Mirror fan club or two Downunder. But If I'm not mistaken the Mirror here is the vehicle rather than the object of the excercise. The object being something of an on water EBS if you will. Mirrors are cheap and available and could be a great vehicle for our little Antipodean group to get together for a day or 3 and have a bit of fun on the water.

Exactly! We only want Mirrors that have been cobbled together from leftovers. It'll be embarrassing enough for some of us as it is .....

The other vague plan I have for my Mirror is a trip down the Darling-Murray.

Rick

Not so happy with my first coat of grippy deck paint. I went for a lighter colour than International Cream. It looks a bit cacky to my eye. Probably a good balance between too bright, too yellow and too dark, but cacky. The distribution of grippy granules is a bit uneven. And there are a couple of areas where I couldn't keep a wet edge due to the acreage and logistics. In the spots where I've doubled up the granulation is much much heavier. If I started over I would have glossed and then masked off some lines where I couldn't keep a wet edge. Basically along the centreline of the foredeck. Oh and I mixed up 3 litres and only needed 2. Bigly waste. Still an all it's done and it can't be undone.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Is it grippy as in rubber grippy - or gritty grippy?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quite surprised at the amount of scrap plywood I had. All but a small selection has been reduced to kindling and various fireplace sized bits.

Quote Originally Posted by rfnk View Post
    time for reflection is valuable though, don't you think? Mirrors are very good for that.

Rick
    oh!
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

If it's International Interdeck, it's gritty.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

International Perfection 2 part polyurethane with grippy granules mixed in.

The first time I used 2-pack with grit in it, the boat ended up looking like it had a disease. My second attempt was better but I was never really happy with it. That's why I prefer a single-pack deck paint. The good news is that after you find the bits that end up looking okay are a bit too slippery, it's a quick job to scuff it up with 80 grit and paint deck paint (Norglass or Kiwigrip or ? over it. I think I left Pipsqueak's deck with the 2-pack for about 5 years before I repainted with Norglass deck paint. That was at least 7 years ago.

Rick

Yep. I'm hoping the second coat looks a bit better, and once all the hatches and tracks and cleats and winches are on there will be less uninterrupted acreage.

International Perfection 2 part polyurethane with grippy granules mixed in.

I'd call that slippy gritty grippy....
    😀

****ty gritty slippy.

[QUOTE=RFNK;5926935]Exactly! We only want Mirrors that have been cobbled together from leftovers. It'll be embarrassing enough for some of us as it is .....

Rick[/QUOTE

This may come across as somewhat contrarian but if part of the objective is an EBS I have a Tammie that might be able to haul some Mirrors if required.

Up this way we have the Tweed River Tumblegum Passage coming up the end of August, the Broadwater which can be challenging on weekends due to high speed Rivieras, then there is the Clarence River.

Rick area has the magnificent Myall Lakes,Port Stephens.?

I've heard the Myall lakes are nice.

No mirror, but I have a nutshell pram with a rig made out of a painters drop cloth. About as flat as a really saggy thing. Does that qualify as cobbled?

I've cobbled together a little pram bowed boat that looks like a mirror dinghy from about 2 km.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;5927181]
    Exactly! We only want Mirrors that have been cobbled together from leftovers. It'll be embarrassing enough for some of us as it is .....

Rick[/QUOTE

This may come across as somewhat contrarian but if part of the objective is an EBS I have a Tammie that might be able to haul some Mirrors if required.

Up this way we have the Tweed River Tumblegum Passage coming up the end of August, the Broadwater which can be challenging on weekends due to high speed Rivieras, then there is the Clarence River.

Rick area has the magnificent Myall Lakes,Port Stephens.?
    Tom are you doing the Tumby Passage this year? Redwing is actually fit to sail at the moment. I say at the moment because I’m going to have to replace the starboard cabin side this year.

The Myalls would be perfect for the Haul, of course! And cobbled allsorts will surely be welcome!

Rick

[QUOTE=WX;5927543]
    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Tom are you doing the Tumby Passage this year? Redwing is actually fit to sail at the moment. I say at the moment because Im going to have to replace the starboard cabin side this year.
    I was planning on attending so it would be great to see you there Gary, Marcus on the Gaffer is also planning to be there.

Middle of this month a couple of us are planning to reorganise the Tweed Classic Regatta which will become associated with the TVSC.
    I am hoping for a good turn out from the Bribie Is Vintage crew , particularly the sailing side as in the past TCR has been predominantly a power vessels event.

Red Wing would fit in well.

The Myalls would be perfect for the Haul, of course! And cobbled allsorts will surely be welcome!

Rick
    I will second the Myall Lakes.

It would be great to do a three day camping raid from Tea Tree up the river to White Tree Bay ,and terminating at Bombah Point, also the location of the Myall Shores Holiday Park ,with a boat ramp, adequate free jetty space and hot showers.

There are many beautifull natural campsites along the river ,prawns at the fish camp and with Southerlies I managed to do a lot of sailing when I cruised those extraordinary waterways.

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;5927655]
    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post

I was planning on attending so it would be great to see you there Gary, Marcus on the Gaffer is also planning to be there.

Middle of this month a couple of us are planning to reorganise the Tweed Classic Regatta which will become associated with the TVSC.
    I am hoping for a good turn out from the Bribie Is Vintage crew , particularly the sailing side as in the past TCR has been predominantly a power vessels event.

Red Wing would fit in well.
    Keep me in the loop please Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I will second the Myall Lakes.

It would be great to do a three day camping raid from Tea Tree up the river to White Tree Bay ,and terminating at Bombah Point, also the location of the Myall Shores Holiday Park ,with a boat ramp, adequate free jetty space and hot showers.

There are many beautifull natural campsites along the river ,prawns at the fish camp and with Southerlies I managed to do a lot of sailing when I cruised those extraordinary waterways.
    Yes, except that would involve a lot of rowing because there's not much wind in the river. I'd suggest Myall Shores or Mungo Brush as the base and sailing 'events' up past Violet Hill and in and around Myall Lake. The nicest time of year would be March - May, avoiding Easter.

Rick

I've got an 8' lug-rigged box-wi'-a-stick. Does that count?
    You can never have too many clamps

I’ve spoken to Carol about this but as you can imagine Peter built up quite a library on boats etc. Carol has offered me any I might be interested in but it got me thinking that some of you guys might be interested in a book or two as well.
    Now Jessie, Peter’s granddaughter has apparently expressed an interest in learning to sail and the local sailing club is planning structured lessons for newbies in the coming months. My idea was if there were any books of interest then people could offer a donation plus postage.
    Would anyone be interested in this idea?