Page 1335 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 3358351235128513251334133513361345 ... LastLast
Results 46,691 to 46,725 of 47911

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Spotted gum is quite commonly used in boat building.
    My boat is framed with it.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    The Bay of Biscay where it worked must be one tough bit of water!
    How did they coax those planks around the bow?

Attachment 39891
    The Bay of Biscay has the same topological challenge as the Bass Straights.
    Deep ocean suddenly getting shallow - the big north atlantic swell squeezed up into high steep waves.

Looks like the planks run out at the sheer. They seem to get considerably thinner above that rub strip (possibly deck level) - it's like the flare is added on top of an otherwise straight stemmed 'normal' bow.

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    The flare is an extension of the bulwarks, if you expand the first photo you can see the frames above deck. Still, it's a mother of a curve to get those upper planks around!

Oh yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    What brand was the beer...we need to know so we can work out if it was a bargain or not?

Coopers Green

Coopers Pale Ale
    ORIGINAL PALE ALE

Australian Pale Ale
    Our 'Pale' is naturally conditioned in the bottle or keg. This traditional Coopers brewing method produces the trademark sediment that gives our ales a distinctive, fine cloudy appearance.
    This beer is a deep golden colour and pours with a generous level of foam. To unlock its full flavour potential, make sure to roll before pouring. No additives. No preservatives.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

I've been fortunate in my life to have had plenty of close encounters with whales, from surfboards, boats, beaches and headlands. This morning I'm watching a pod of whales breaching off Newcastle Beach, right at the heart of the city. They're too far out for photos or knowing how many are up to it but there are at least several launching themselves right out of the water, over and over. Beautiful.

Rick

Our East Coast whale migration is fantastic.
    And just to think that the meat works in Byron Bay where still slaughtering these beautiful creatures until the early sixties..

I have fond memories of laying in my bunk listening to the whale songs amplified by the plywood hull. Great way to fall asleep

Phil. I have gone with the parchment colour from the international chart for cabin side and will match the deck paint to suit.
    IMG_6281.jpg
    It goes really well with the serpentine green

Spotted Gum is good then! Thanks for feedback.

Anyone has sailed in/out of Port Hacking?

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Phil. I have gone with the parchment colour from the international chart for cabin side and will match the deck paint to suit.
    IMG_6281.jpg
    It goes really well with the serpentine green
    Thanks. Much less choice of colour in the 2 pack perfection. I'm going very white on hull and cabins to keep the heat out as much as possible. Snow White. And probably Matterhorn white on the deck. My boat is not so traditional, so that's not so much a consideration. I imagine I will find the deck too bright, but there you go.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I heard chainsaws and heavy bangs this morning... She sank last week and they got her afloat. No more oceans for her

You may be able to score yourself a few bit of good timber out of there Jorge?

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeR View Post
    Spotted Gum is good then! Thanks for feedback.

Anyone has sailed in/out of Port Hacking?

You're in Yowie Bay, correct? or ios it Dolans bay... Whatever, Port hacking itself is fine, but the channels between those bays and the open area off South Cronulla are best done at high tide. Very silted up. you will need to motor thru - even if no other traffic theyre too narrow for any sort of tacking.

Thanks. Much less choice of colour in the 2 pack perfection. I'm going very white on hull and cabins to keep the heat out as much as possible. Snow White. And probably Matterhorn white on the deck. My boat is not so traditional, so that's not so much a consideration. I imagine I will find the deck too bright, but there you go.

Turns out they can tint the 2 pack. Which is a bugger because now I have 100 colours to choose from. Probably Snow White topsides and cabins and maybe off white or the slightly yellower vanilla white for the deck. I'll sleep on it. Not the deck, the colour choice. Buying and applying paint tomorrow. 20C and fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    You're in Yowie Bay, correct? or ios it Dolans bay... Whatever, Port hacking itself is fine, but the channels between those bays and the open area off South Cronulla are best done at high tide. Very silted up. you will need to motor thru - even if no other traffic theyre too narrow for any sort of tacking.

Yeah, we're motoring anyhow as the forestay is off. Seems like high tide is just around sunset so leaving 1h early it is. Thanks for advice, going to Botany Bay for haul out

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    That sand bar north of Maianbar can be shallow. I'd say high tide for that spot for sure.
    You may be able to duck into Buraneer bay and get to the channel on the far side if you're in doubt.
    Tide pulls through there pretty fast too - slack water time would be best.

Jorge, Dunno whether it was on this thread or the other one, but heres the link to the bow fitting on gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glen...ing/1221408236

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeR View Post
    Yeah, we're motoring anyhow as the forestay is off. Seems like high tide is just around sunset so leaving 1h early it is. Thanks for advice, going to Botany Bay for haul out

Sunset or sunrise? I think with no functioning rig and a few doubts about the motor, I'd rather leave before sunrise than sunset, especially crossing unfamiliar water. I'm guessing you meant sunrise?

Rick

Finished sanding back all the teak strips, now I have to work out how to fill all the screw holes without them being obvious.
    Option 1 is to drill them all to the same size as my plug cutter then use some of the teak for plugs.
    Option 2...well I don't have one.

As for fitting the strips I'm figuring on mastic and screws, which will make it easier to replace them should I need to sometime down the track.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

I'd go with Option one. I think.

http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Sunset or sunrise? I think with no functioning rig and a few doubts about the motor, I'd rather leave before sunrise than sunset, especially crossing unfamiliar water. I'm guessing you meant sunrise?

Rick

Sunrise sunrise! Misspelling, my bad. Got OpenCPN and the oeSENC aussie charts up to date. Impressive how it runs nicely and smoothly on an Android tablet!

P.s: Phil, thanks for the link, got it on the other thread too

Phew!

I do know one experienced sailor who reckons he prefers entering ports at night. I reckon he's off his head! I don't mind leaving at night but I much prefer coming in in daylight, especially into unfamiliar places.

Actually, the first time I ever entered a `port' from the sea, under sail, was at night. I was just a passenger, happily! It was in Tonga and local fishermen from a little island about 7 miles off the Tongatapu coast took me from Nukualofa to their island in a small, wooden, open sailboat. We arrived at 2am and entered the lagoon through a narrow break in the fringing reef. All I could see was the shadow of the island and the foam of breaking waves on either side of us. We'd been sailing and bailing and paddling since midday so it was great to arrive. The next morning I paddled out through the break in the reef to surf a really nice left that ran into the gap. I surfed there every day except Sundays, then, and it was always good. We had good breeze for the return trip so that only took a few hours.

Rick

Turns out they can tint the 2 pack.
    Who tints the two pack?

I tint my two pack because my old paint has faded a bit. Pharmacy syringe and a drop or two of white into the blue.
    Sometimes I'm good, sometimes I ain't.
    We were just having the night pass navigation discussion here about Navula pass ,Fiji.. The distances are so great over giant reefs and patches it's hard to get the picture without bearings and or your nav plotter. But its well lit and has leading lights, a good one for night time.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    Who tints the two pack?
    The local International agent I buy it from.

Picking up my sheet of plywood today. Then it’s off to the boat for the weekend and it looks like it’s going to be a wet one.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Picking up my sheet of plywood today. Then it’s off to the boat for the weekend and it looks like it’s going to be a wet one.
    Bugger. It was 20 and dry here yesterday and I got a nice gloss coat of paint on my topsides above the rub rail. But forecast to rain later today and the next couple of days, so progress will halt. Getting 2 pack on at the moment is tricky. Got to start late enough that the surface is dry, and finish early enough that it's hardened up enough before dew forms and dulls the gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I tint my two pack because my old paint has faded a bit. Pharmacy syringe and a drop or two of white into the blue.
    Sometimes I'm good, sometimes I ain't.
    We were just having the night pass navigation discussion here about Navula pass ,Fiji.. The distances are so great over giant reefs and patches it's hard to get the picture without bearings and or your nav plotter. But its well lit and has leading lights, a good one for night time.
    I guess the days of waiting for a clear morning and climbing up to the spreaders are on the way out. Having said that I don't like night time entrances, it's obviously a good idea to get used to doing them! I don't like them but, thinking it through, I've actually done more night time entrances than daylight ones, if I exclude Port Stephens. I haven't done any night time bar crossings in swell and I'd try to avoid that.

Rick

I came out of the Gold Coast Seaway at night one time, pitch black night. We knew when we finally got outside because the yacht stopped going up and down.

Gold Coast is probably the only bar I would think of doing that "if" the swell is low.
    Some of those smaller bars though. ~~~shudder~~~

BOM cancelled the rain, so I'm painting

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Gold Coast is probably the only bar I would think of doing that "if" the swell is low.
    Some of those smaller bars though. ~~~shudder~~~
    Tweed can be less than fun.

I once entered Crowdy Head in a squally blow in the middle of the night. Not exactly a bar entrance, more like a hell's gate experience. But we survived.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Rembrandt.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.