Page 1334 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 3348341234128413241333133413351344 ... LastLast
Results 46,656 to 46,690 of 47886

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Yes 2 pack.Ill use perfection 2 pack for top coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    After messing about with rolling on the paint job on comet I decided to spray her. I needed an even coat of grey primer to help with the colour according to the paint supplier. (Norglass) I was rolling one day, sanding the next, rolling one day, sanding the next. It was driving me mad and winter was approaching.
    So... 3 coats wet on wet of primer in one day, sand 2 days later then 2 topcoats the next day, again, wet on wet. I reckon I saved 6 days work not having to sand between coats.
    Attachment 37871
    Action shot. I walked from bow to stern in one swoop half overlapping each coat.
    The hardest part was seeing where I had been while applying the second coat.
    Attachment 37872
    2 coats with autobarns finest spray gun. $80. I put some flattening agent into the mix as I wanted a semi gloss finish.
    We now have a green Comet
    What colour green is that? Felicity likes the look of the green on our rubbing strake, although thats bright green frog tape. But Im going to do above the strake white, to reflect heat. So a bit of colour on the rubbing strake might go well.

Has anyone here used Buloke before? Apparently the hardest wood in the world!!
    https://bie.ala.org.au/species/http://id.biodiversity.org.au/node/apni/2910009
    im thinking of turning sheaves from it...
    Hard but brittle. Good in compression but not if you need to bend it. It's that hard you could make knife out of it, and sharpen it! I have a few 100+ year old 1/4 split stock rails. If it's what you are thinking of it's a purple colour wood and with the right blade in your saw comes up ready to polish. Heavy too, even at that age. I have mostly used it decoratively. Those rails had been laying in the grass up in the Mallee for 10 years the farmer told me.

I turned sheaves from old Jarrah posts.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Hard but brittle. Good in compression but not if you need to bend it. It's that hard you could make knife out of it, and sharpen it! I have a few 100+ year old 1/4 split stock rails. If it's what you are thinking of it's a purple colour wood and with the right blade in your saw comes up ready to polish. Heavy too, even at that age. I have mostly used it decoratively. Those rails had been laying in the grass up in the Mallee for 10 years the farmer told me.

I turned sheaves from old Jarrah posts.
    thanks Jeff. (Geoff?) my old man has plenty of grey box on his farm that's been drying for years. I'm planning on using that for my blocks and cleats etc. apparently it's less susceptible to checking than other Aussie hard woods. I will just use the same for the sheaves. Its harder than jarrah so should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    What colour green is that? Felicity likes the look of the green on our rubbing strake, although thats bright green frog tape. But Im going to do above the strake white, to reflect heat. So a bit of colour on the rubbing strake might go well.
    if your using international paints then you won't have a problem getting it as its off there colour chart.
    "Serpentine" it's actually a haymes colour. At least that's what they told me at paint spot.
    the code is in the photo from an international colour chart.
    IMG_6271.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Eighteen months after Dad passed away, and after being on the market for three months, Mum's house has finally sold unconditionally. Whew! It a hip breaker of a hill section with fantastic views, but the house still has its original 1940's layout - definitely not "open plan" like most people are looking for.
    With that hurdle out of the way, in less than a week she had found a suitable replacement! Not bad for someone in their eighties.
    Two years old, a fifteen minute walk from our place, and super handy to the local library, mall and medical centre - and not one of those tiny little high density "over sixties" units - I don't know if Aus has a similar scheme? Basically, cram up to four small units where a single house used to be, and restrict ownership to people over sixty.
    Anyway, we just need to try and make it all happen now - the usual drama involving lawyers and large sums of money.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

We do have similar development here. Be careful buying anything built in the last ten years.
    You want to be looking for any signs of cracking, everywhere, water leaks, have a real good look in the shower area for any discolouration. Is it single story? Is there something above? I could be full time employed in Melbourne rebuilding 8-10 year old balconies. They commonly use chip board with some water proof over top. They get through the 7 year builders warranty and that's about it. Same in the bathroom. Yours may be a slab? There is a lot of issues with cracking slabs here as well.
    Its worth investigating who the builder was and look at some of there other work. I would avoid like the plague anything built by a high volume builder. We have a tsunami of defects coming through in Aus. Its just rising its ugly head now. The next 5-10 years though. Oh boy!!

Here (Christchurch), you absolutely want something built in the last ten years, which makes it a post-earthquake build. Much much more stringent and robust foundation design and construction, and geotechnical testing of the land down over two metres, with remediation as required. Also tougher requirements for structural bracing, for seismic events.
    This is single story, on a concrete rib raft foundation, and unlike all those stupid villa style houses, actually has eves. Getting a building inspection is part of the deal, and is HUGELY important if you are buying a repaired quake damaged house. The shoddy work that went on there will make the whole leaky homes saga look like a picnic, over the next ten years. Lots of stuff already coming to light.
    I see another Sydney apartment tower has been evacuated, due to major structural defects, so it's not just a problem this side of the Tasman!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Eighteen months after Dad passed away, and after being on the market for three months, Mum's house has finally sold unconditionally. Whew! It a hip breaker of a hill section with fantastic views, but the house still has its original 1940's layout - definitely not "open plan" like most people are looking for.
    With that hurdle out of the way, in less than a week she had found a suitable replacement! Not bad for someone in their eighties.
    Two years old, a fifteen minute walk from our place, and super handy to the local library, mall and medical centre - and not one of those tiny little high density "over sixties" units - I don't know if Aus has a similar scheme? Basically, cram up to four small units where a single house used to be, and restrict ownership to people over sixty.
    Anyway, we just need to try and make it all happen now - the usual drama involving lawyers and large sums of money.

Pete
    I hope the new place works out. Big move.

Marvelous program on RN right now on mental health.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Seems like your all over it.
    A plasterer mate of mine tried to crack into the appartments game. Lodge his first quote for a block of 22. Worked out the cost of one and x22. The builder laughed at him and said his going with a Chinese crew. They import all there own plaster board and stopping compound etc. simply can't compete. Word on the street is that some of this imported plaster contains up to 10% asbestos!! Add to that the flammable external cladding that 3/4s of these builds have and the water leak and mould issues. We have built a whole bunch of soon to be uninhabitable buildings. A LOT of people are going to suffer big financial losses. Not the builders and developers though. There long gone and closed the company's.

A friend in the building game said that a lot of relabelling of dodgy building products goes on, the flammable cladding being a particular problem. As is imported plaster, it being mislabelled at point of manufacture dependent on the regulations at country of delivery. The 'legal' system in those countries being compromised and action unlikely to get a result. As far as builders of these projects go, as soon as they get their money they do a Pheonix Company process and disappear legally, even though in fact they continue. Their lawyers have a deal to answer for as well.

Maybe the stranded owners need some muscle to get a result.

You guys want to take this elsewhere?

Government has a big hand in this as well. If the lay man knows of the dodgie stamps, so should they and it would never have been allowed in the country.

I rebuilt a rotten balcony last month. The new owners bought a ten year old town house, he stepped onto the balcony off his bedroom and fell straight through it. Lucky for him his feet went either side of a joist. Suffered bruising but avoided a 3 meter fall. Insurance wouldn't touch it as they said it was shoddy workmanship. Poor buggers could only afford to fix one of there two balconies. The other is leaking when it rains so will be in the same state, they can't use it. This in in a 20 townhouse complex. I could see from looking at the others they are all the same state. I'm writing a report for her to present to the body corporate. 40 balconies!! Keep me in work for a year. Its the tip of a very large iceberg of shoddy builds. There are thousands of these.

You guys want to take this elsewhere?

im allergic to the bilge. I'm come out in a big rash every time I click on it.

Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

im allergic to the bilge. I'm come out in a big rash every time I click on it.
    Try Facebook then. Gripes about shoddy domestic buildings, and building standards and who polices it and who pays compensation is nothing to do with boats and is bound to get political. Let's not let this lovely thread emulate the bilge. Please. We have not so long ago lost from this thread a good mate who took exception to political discussion appearing here. His objection was pretty fair.

That's a bit rich Guvna. It was a warning to Pete for his mum. So what if it went 2 posts over. Some of the baloney I've seen you post here and all of a sudden you've appointed yourself.

Cheers

That's a bit rich Guvna. It was a warning to Pete for his mum. So what if it went 2 posts over. Some of the baloney I've seen you post here and all of a sudden you've appointed yourself.
    It has been an unwritten rule for this thread that it be politics free. I’ve had my wrist slapped a couple of times for overstepping the line.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    A thread that's focussed primarily on boats and wooden boat related matters. Its purpose would be to bring Antipodeans together to share information, skills, resource sources etc. In no way is this thread intended to diminish any other thread but I do know that there are some who would like to connect on boat matters but don't want to venture into the dark territory of The Bilge. Please join if you're interested. There are no enforceable rules, of course, but the rule is: no politics!

I'm Rick, I live in Port Stephens. I have a Folkboat I restored and I've commenced restoration of a Twister. I have a thread in B & R entitled Restoration of a Twister.
    Rick
    Actually

So I just let Pete wade into dangerous waters without warning?
    get over it. Not as though I'm posting political stuff here all the time. Actually, never have I.

Okay, everyone's had their say. We're all friends - no one meant any harm - let's get back to boats.

Rick

That's nice! And yes, I've heard the Bay of Biscay can be very rough!

Rick's
    Last edited by RFNK; 06-24-2019 at 05:26 AM.

Went up to Redwing today, which ended just being a catch up with my Kiwi mate David who has been staying on Redwing for a few days. The original plan was sanding and painting but the weather is damp and down right chilly for here.
    On the way home I ordered a sheet of 9mm marine ply, with hardwood veneers, cost $78. I asked the price of Hoop pine...$200+!
    It's going to be glassed so the veneer material is not vitally important.

Baloney.😀

Baloney.

Assuming you are referring to my throw away line about veneers. Yes there are veneers I would rather not touch.

Baloney.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Assuming you are referring to my throw away line about veneers. Yes there are veneers I would rather not touch.
    I wasn't. I'm sure with plenty of epoxy everywhere you'll be fine. Probably the same stuff Ive used on my deck.

I just want to express you all how great reading this thread is.

From some posts above, Bay of Biscay is a nasty piece of water if you don't wait for a weather window (on the passage I did we didn't and eat 4 cold fronts in 6 days average 2kt speed, but made it). Working boats there handle the weather in incredible ways and Spain-France was a smuggling channel for tobacco and others when times were tought. Been passed on stories from people from up there. If visiting, beautiful coastline all of it.

Where I am from there's hundreds of acres of olive trees (but best place for finding good old cloudy real oil is in Jaen, in the south) and they can also grow not that tall. I'd say three meters is a good guesstimate, but it also depends on the type of olive tree on itself. They're by far the most beautiful trees over at home.

On woooden boat topic, we've found out that our stem (soon to be fixed) is made of Spotted Gum. A good timber?

Cheers nice people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotted gum is quite commonly used in boat building.

And spotted gum is readily available if you need more.

Rick

The vessel in my avitar, the Alma Dopel is planked in spotted gum and i've just bought some spotted gum to replace the cabin sole in Warana. I got it for $50 and a slab of beer!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    The vessel in my avitar, the Alma Dopel is planked in spotted gum and i've just bought some spotted gum to replace the cabin sole in Warana. I got it for $50 and a slab of beer!
    What brand was the beer...we need to know so we can work out if it was a bargain or not?