Page 1333 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 33383312331283132313321333133413431383 ... LastLast
Results 46,621 to 46,655 of 48988

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Looking really good, Phil. As an alternative to sanding lumpy bits and raised grain prior to glassing, I'd offer this http://www.linbide.co.nz/product.php?c=26
    They are way quicker than sanding (seriously way quicker), produce shavings instead of dust, take of high spots more effectively, don't clog like sandpaper does with epoxy, the blades are solid carbide and last ages (you might need three or four on a job that big), and you dont need masks and goggles and ear defenders. And they cost maybe $15. I wish I could say I had shares in the company, I don't.
    After the you've knocked the worst of the lumps off with one of these, a quick whiz with a sander to matt the surface, and you're done.

Pete
    Lumps? Pffft.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    A bit of protection on my deck. It's a nice feeling. Turned out I had to go over it with a brush asI rolled it on as the roller raised lots of bubbles. I only had 1 inch chip brush. Slow and frantic combined.

That looks much better.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Cheers. It will look even better with some glass and primer and kiwigrip and toerails and jib tracks and cleats and fairleads and winches and.......beer.

Phil, how are you going to seal the chainplates - temporarily and permanently?

Rick

Have you made a map of beam locations etc. so that after you add paint you'll know where things go? Combined with photos, it can be very helpful.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Have you made a map of beam locations etc. so that after you add paint you'll know where things go? Combined with photos, it can be very helpful.

Rick
    That's a good idea. No I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Phil, how are you going to seal the chainplates - temporarily and permanently?

Rick
    I'm not going to seal them temporarily because it's not going to rain until mid May. In the original build they were a close fit and always leaked. I don't know what if any goop was used. I've left a CM or so clearance. I plan to fit a close fitting plate underneath, squish in as much butyl tape as I can and then screw down some sort of plate on top to create a compressed gasket.

The new owners of Arawana came for a sailing arvo today prior to settlement to make sure they are ok with how she behaves in the waves and wind. Two adults, two kids and an old pirate. Very relaxed tutoring from me and everything seemed to go very well.

I'm happy to say that I'm happy. The new owners have taken ownership. The landlady at the berth is happy to have them there. Next weekend will be a sorting out of all the stuff that is stored onboard and in the shed.

Arawana is in very good hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

That's a good idea. No I haven't.

Now's the best time, while you can still see the screws.

Rick

Well done Bruce, lovely afternoon for a sail yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

Arawana is in very good hands.
    That's good to hear Bruce. Well done!
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

+1

Rick

Excellent, Bruce. Well done!

I'm happy your happy with the outcome Bruce.
    You had your fair share of internal debate going into this.
    You must like them. Good to see.

No Pixie work today. It's my wife's birthday and the kids and I have been tasked with building a pair of wicking garden beds out of this:

Last edited by MattSplatt; 03-17-2019 at 05:23 PM.

I'm not going to seal them temporarily because it's not going to rain until mid May. In the original build they were a close fit and always leaked. I don't know what if any goop was used. I've left a CM or so clearance. I plan to fit a close fitting plate underneath, squish in as much butyl tape as I can and then screw down some sort of plate on top to create a compressed gasket.

I wouldn't put anything on underneath. I'd slightly bevel the top of the slot in the ply/glass. Then make up a plate from phenolic or fibreglass that's about 20mm bigger than the slot all round and with a close-fitting slot for the chain plate. Bevel the underneath of the slot in this plate. Fill the void with Sika or Fixtech and fasten down the plate. The Sika will form a sort of o-ring where you've bevelled the ply and the slot in the plate.

The plate doesn't really need to be fastened because the goop will hold it but you need good pressure to form the o-rings so I do screw them down. Use a West system for the screws.

I use phenolic sheet (Tufnol/Auspeton/generic) for the plates. I can help with a source if necessary.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'll put up a pic of the clearance I've left, it's quite large.i mistrust fixtech and sika. They don't seem to reliably hold a bond, particularly to stainless. Hence my thought of using butyl. Down here with Bruce now having boat coffee before we tackle the glass on the aft deck.

It's been that way on Pipsqueak for about 15 years without any leaking. The Sika goes off and remains a flexible pad, always being pushed against the edges due to the bevels, like an o-ring.

If you use butyl, I'd recommend butyl mastic in a tube rather than the tape for your application.

Glass and peel ply on the aft section of the aft deck. Looked truly awful for a few minutes with wrinkles everywhere. Some more epoxy and peel ply and some squeegee work seemed to flatten it out. There's one white bit, forward, centre. Tried to wet that out but finally decided to leave it alone rather than risk making it worse. That will be cut our for the lazarette one day anyhow. A fair success I think.

Nice to get that on! Looks good!

Rick

Brilliant!

That fibreglass on Balia looks better in real life than in the photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

From there we jumped forward to the side deck. We couldn't continue with the aft deck as we would have nowhere to stand.

All good!

Just about to motor Masina down to Oyster Cover for another haulout. Some idiot's cleaned up the starboard side overnight a few weeks ago so I'm getting it fixed through insurance this week. We've no idea who did it, they hit two boats. There isn't much damage but she needs to come out for repair. The weather's looking pretty rainy so it might be a wet trip! Good run for the new gearbox anyway.

Rick

That's annoying, to say the least, hope the repair is as good as new

Ah, catching up.
    Fantastic job there Phil. I'd even say awesome, but it's a bit overused.
    Even so ,its fair to say that I have watched progress with some awe..

Thanks JB, and everyone. I appreciate the encouragement. It is a huge job with scary bits around every corner. I genuinely wasn't sure I could do it when I started. Feeling more confident now.

That's annoying, to say the least, hope the repair is as good as new

Thanks. It'll be okay. I'd do it myself but by the time you pay haulout charges etc. you've spent as much as the insurance excess and you still have to do all the work! The guy doing it will do a good job.

It was a bit wet getting going

Oyster Cove 1.jpg

but we ended up having a really nice run down to Oyster Cove without much rain

Oyster Cove 2.jpg

Some bad news though. While we were doing that, there was an explosion on a boat at Lemon Tree, apparently. A guy I know a little and his son are severely injured with burns. They've been helicoptered to hospital. That's all I know at this stage. They're really nice people with a long association with Lemon tree and all the boats. Craig is a shipwright. I'll learn more later but of course we're all really hoping the injuries are not as bad as it seems they might be. We don't know how the accident happened yet.

Rick

I'm not very proud of how I've fitted the deck around the shroud plates. The gap is deliberate, but could be tidier and better aligned as between the 2 layers. It's tricky to measure and fit due to the angle of the shroud plates, and fixed objects such as the cabin. Mostly I'm just a slob. Anyway my plan involves a support plate below and a compression plate above a large filling of goop, to allow plenty of room for the tiny bit of movement which seems to be inevitable. It's worked well where I've done repairs this way before. Yes Rick a source of tuffnol would be good.

Nice looking deck there Rick. I'm jealous. That's awful about the explosion. Scary.

Actually the deck finish needs a bit of work but otherwise it's good, thanks. This is where I bought `bakelite sheet' recently. I'm very happy with the quality https://www.swiftsupplies.com.au/fabric-bakelite-sheet

I see you do have a biggish hole to fill. I suggest keeping the plate underneath as more of a cosmetic cover plate, loose fitting, so it can't hold moisture. Above, I'd be doing what you're doing but I'd prefer to use the more rubbery goop. But butyl will work. Just might get a bit messy with so much in there!

Rick

That's why I thought I'd use tape, squished into a blob. It's pretty much like Blu tac. I tried the selleys butyl mastic on a couple of my decklights. Didn't like it. It dries out in our climate. Everything dries out in our climate. You still don't think I'm serious when I say it won't rain until May. I am.

Okay, I thought the tape might dry out and go crumbly! Good to hear that it doesn't!

Rick

Well it maybe too early to say, but I hope not.

There is this one https://www.bostik.com/australia/Bos...ts/Bostik_5612

and you know there is a range of Sika marine sealants. They're not all the same.

I do understand how bloody frustrating your particular circumstances are there.

Rick