Page 1329 of 1423 FirstFirst ... 32982912291279131913281329133013391379 ... LastLast
Results 46,481 to 46,515 of 49771

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I was supposed to be starting a new job today, but the newboss called in sick. I went for a sail instead. So my day turned out *far* better than I expected. It's nice when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    We shall raise a glass to absent friends.

I'm afraid I'll not be there. My thoughts are often with Pete still, and will be tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

We will likely be there a bit early Matt, service at 1.30 I think.
    Be careful when you come to the bridge, the entrance is IMMEDIATELY at the end of the bridge side rails. And I do mean immediately!

Thank you for the warning.

You prompted me to have a look on Google Maps, and there is also an entrance at the other end. I think I'll be coming from that direction anyway.

Kindest regards to all attending in body or spirit today. We've all lost a good friend but the legacies of fond
    menories and knowledge remain. I'm proud to know you all.

Rick

Not that I know of. There will be a gathering afterwards but as yet I don't know where or how many will be there.
    Tumbulgum?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Tumbulgum?
    I was thinking there, it’s where Peter launched Jim and it’s where we usually gather for an EBS.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Kindest regards to all attending in body or spirit today. We've all lost a good friend but the legacies of fond
    menories and knowledge remain. I'm proud to know you all.

Rick
    Well put . Friends community and people in general enrich our lives and it’s always hard when we loose them.

Are you still out on the water and if so where.?

No, the skipper turned us around on Saturday due to weather and then Sunday turned out to be a non-starter. On Monday I had to get the crew into Newcastle for trains to Sydney and Melbourne. They're going to take the boat up north in a week or two instead but I'm not sure if I'll have the time then. We'll see! Nice people and a nice boat.

Rick

Please give my deepest condolences to Peter's family. He was a veyry brave man and fought hard to the very end. As others have said, a true gentleman, and a great craftsman. I was only an occasional visitor to Perter's JIM thread, but developed a great respect for him and his abilities over the time that I read the thread. I learnt much, not just about boatbuilding. The world is a poorer place for his passing.

Best regards,
    Alex.
    You can never have too many clamps

No, the skipper turned us around on Saturday due to weather and then Sunday turned out to be a non-starter. On Monday I had to get the crew into Newcastle for trains to Sydney and Melbourne. They're going to take the boat up north in a week or two instead but I'm not sure if I'll have the time then. We'll see! Nice people and a nice boat.

Rick
    Could have had a real fast run up the coast yesterday. A mate had to bring his kid to hospital in Sydney for more tests yesterday... said he'd used half a tank of fuel between Coffs and Kew because of the headwinds. Couldn't drive at over 95kph because of the wind pushing the van all over the road.

Yesterday was pretty wild here too. Massive swell.

Rick

Having put on two coats of high build primer I decided I'd jumped the gun a bit. This morning I went back over the whole deck with a coat of thickened epoxy applied with a squeegee. Now I'm stuck onboard until the epoxy cures.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 06-05-2019 at 12:24 AM.

The Icing on the cake!
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Why did you put filler over the primer? Lumps, seams, weave or AOTA?

Rick

AOTA and those pinholes I mentioned. With 2 coats on it became clear that paint would never get me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    The Icing on the cake!
    I hope it sets a bit harder than icing. It's got a bit cooler here now. Was still fingernail soft after 24 hours.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Not sure if this did the rounds at some point.
    A doco reviewed by the Woodenboat Mag; https://iview.abc.net.au/show/wake-of-the-may-queen

I haven't watched it yet.
    Got a good review.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Some of you might recall I mentioned my sister having a drama at sea a few months back. I didn’t realise she put up a blog post about it: http://oldshoesnewpath.com/2019/02/2...heroes-abound/

Looks like it was a pretty big sea.

Regards,
    John.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Wow, a harrowing experience! I came here to type up tonights experience and read that about your sister John. Glad it worked out well.

I Was driving home along the Boulevard after Mt Martha around sunset tonight and noticed a tinny doing tight donuts at high speed about 500 meters offshore. Pulled over for a close look and sure enough there was no one in the tinny and a person making slow headway swimming to shore about a third of the way. Conditions where flat seas, calm. Rang 000 .....the police chopper took about 7 min to arrive and began circling....must have been out flying in the area somewhere. 10 min there was a boat from Martha Cove marina, the coastguard boat i presume, heading to the spot directed by the chopper and picked the MOB up, by then about half way to shore. Light was fading, it would have been close to dark when and if he made it to shore.

I was on my way down the rocks to meet him if he made it to shore when the coastguard arrived and boy was I relieved! It would have been a long cold swim
    Last edited by Hallam; 06-07-2019 at 05:47 AM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Not sure if this did the rounds at some point.
    A doco reviewed by the Woodenboat Mag; https://iview.abc.net.au/show/wake-of-the-may-queen

I haven't watched it yet.
    Got a good review.
    Yes, we did talk about it here when it was broadcast a couple of years or so ago. It's a nice film!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    [FONT="]Was driving home along the Boulevard after Mt Martha around sunset tonight and noticed a tinny doing tight donuts at high speed about 500 meters offshore. Pulled over for a close look and sure enough there was no one in the tinny and a person making slow headway swimming to shore about a third of the way. Conditions where flat seas, calm. Rang 000 .....the police chopper took about 7 min to arrive and began circling....must have been out flying in the area somewhere. 10 min there was a boat from Martha Cove marina, the coastguard boat i presume, heading to the spot directed by the chopper and picked the MOB up, by then about half way to shore. Light was fading, it would have been close to dark when and if he made it to shore.[/FONT]
    I was on my way down the rocks to meet him if he made it to shore when the coastguard arrived and boy was I relieved! It would have been a long cold swim
    Great work Hallam!! How lucky you were there and realised what was going on!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Wow, a harrowing experience! I came here to type up tonights experience and read that. Glad it worked out well.

I Was driving home along the Boulevard after Mt Martha around sunset tonight and noticed a tinny doing tight donuts at high speed about 500 meters offshore. Pulled over for a close look and sure enough there was no one in the tinny and a person making slow headway swimming to shore about a third of the way. Conditions where flat seas, calm. Rang 000 .....the police chopper took about 7 min to arrive and began circling....must have been out flying in the area somewhere. 10 min there was a boat from Martha Cove marina, the coastguard boat i presume, heading to the spot directed by the chopper and picked the MOB up, by then about half way to shore. Light was fading, it would have been close to dark when and if he made it to shore.

Well done mate. Maybe next time he will attach the cutoff switch to himself. Was he wearing a PFD?

The rain has started so all hatches are closed except for top washboard. On duty tomorrow but should only be in the river. The bar is likely to be dangerous.

Well done mate. Maybe next time he will attach the cutoff switch to himself. Was he wearing a PFD?
    I don't know as I didn't have my binocs and it was getting dark. I usually carry the binocs everywhere. After he was picked up they went back to the tinny and circled it a few times. I'm thinking they fouled the prop with a rope as after a bit of mucking about around the tinny the engine stopped. I headed back to the car, my coopers stout and bag of chips at that point as obviously he must have been ok, they weren't in a hurry to get him back to shore. There where a couple of ambos waiting at the Safety Beach boat ramp pier as I drove past.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Fisrt thing my son said when i told him was he should have had the cut off switch attached.

Bruce Cockburn

re weather, I was driving through heavy hail around Tenterfield on wednesday. Not a few sliding about on the road. Harder to drive in than snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Some of you might recall I mentioned my sister having a drama at sea a few months back. I didn’t realise she put up a blog post about it: http://oldshoesnewpath.com/2019/02/2...heroes-abound/

Regards,
    John.
    I missed that but wow, sounds like there's a couple of stories to tell, and lucky she and her family are alive.

Well done Hallam, a lot of people would have just thought That's Odd and drove on.

Yeah, good work. He certainly can count himself one lucky punter!

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post

Regards,
    John.
    Amazing story I can’t even begin to imagine the logistics of hooking up and being towed behind a freighters at night during a storm at that speed.

However from my experience of being towed across the Clarence river bar with WB stern partially submerged and water pouring over her stern while being followed by breakers , its not an experience I care to repeat.

It is - nicely written too!

Rick

It is - nicely written too!

Rick
    Her writing has something extraordinary to it. I'm not quite sure what it is. Very carefully crafted to tell enough of the story in a very engaging manner, although in the end very little is told at all.

She’s always had a way with words. Sometimes they’re even true. ��

In this case they are certainly true, the experience was so traumatic I am sure they won’t sail again.

Some parts she left out. The freighter brought them alongside and tried to have them climb a rope ladder. Impossible, and the mast swung over and smashed the spreaders, leaving them fearing that the rig might come down. It’s a 50’ yacht, so it’s a serious rig. The hull also took a beating from the side of the freighter. Then the crew of the freighter let the line lengthen and the boat moved aft, leaving my sister, on the helm, in danger of the ship’s screw, so hubby cut the line... She described being confronted by this towering prop, thinking she was going right into it.

She stayed at the helm with an injured ankle, and hubby handled the foredeck, with injured ribs. She told us he was repeatedly covered in green water and she was amazed each time that he was still aboard. The line from the freighter kept breaking, and gathering and cleating on a new one each time was an exhausting process, having to hook the huge line and haul it in, then cleat it. Much of this was at night. Hubby has reached epic status in her eyes, as you can imagine. He’s a big guy, but how he kept going is beyond comprehension. I guess the two young sons downstairs would be the reason.

She said when they anchored finally the crap on the cabin sole was a foot deep, including spilled rubbish.

Horrible experience. Will make a good book.

Regards,
    John.

Frightening. Don't know the circumstances of course, but it makes you wonder if they'd have been better served riding out the storm.