Page 1320 of 1419 FirstFirst ... 32082012201270131013191320132113301370 ... LastLast
Results 46,166 to 46,200 of 49635

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I have packed up my two dinghies for the winter, but I have the sailing canoe and sea kayak and the local bay if I feel I need a fix. But it's a bit weird, first time in 5 years that I have not got a boat needing fixing in the shed.

OTOH I have been asked to rig an antique model pond yacht, circa 1907. They bought it on line, it arrived with all the rigging and sails in a bundle and have no idea where to start.

Very similar rig to this, they even offered to pay. Of course I refused, but it will be interesting to see if all the parts necessary are there.

Looks like fun.

Unfortunatley my skill set in building a pond yacht is more basic.
    Here is my boat entry on our last cruise which I may add did manage to carry a cargo of four Coke cans without breaking up. Aptly named Chopsticks and Plastcue was 100% recycled and proved to be the only entry to sail unassisted .

[IMG][/IMG]

Boom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I sometimes find fishhooks on Redwing, on Saturday I found a fishing fly. Nobody fly fishes up here...well somebody did but why?
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Beautiful day. Third coat of Cetol on the toe rail. Fixed the scarf that let go on the port toe rail and got the rig sorted to the point it needs to go sailing. Just need to clean the carby on the outboard and I can go and see how she handles.
    Fantastic - bon voyage.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I sometimes find fishhooks on Redwing, on Saturday I found a fishing fly. Nobody fly fishes up here...well somebody did but why?
    When i was in the creek at Huskisson the boat would have 5 or more lures attached each weekend.
    My big guy, who is a keen fisherman, would top up his collection nicely.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bli-...IaKaqO8vPN_I8A

antique BLAXLAND putt putt engine

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Fantastic - bon voyage.
    I won’t be going far, just up the river and back with maybe an overnight stop somewhere sheltered.

Nice, worth building a boat around that.

I won’t be going far, just up the river and back with maybe an overnight stop somewhere sheltered.
    Now you're making me jealous.....
    Next weekend i'll be working in a windy old yard, inhaling the dust from bottom paint that was ground off decades ago - while getting sunburnt.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Now you're making me jealous.....
    Next weekend i'll be working in a windy old yard, inhaling the dust from bottom paint that was ground off decades ago - while getting sunburnt.
    I’m still a week or so away from doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Boom!

Happy days. Where previously a picture like that always meant water running down the insides of my hull, today there is only dry old timber. Granted, it needs a lick of varnish to repair old damage, but finally and at last I can actually contemplate such measures. You will recall my disappointment a week or so ago when these parts were wet after a bit of a downpour. I came down to the boat when it was dry again and squished and squashed and squished some more until my fingertips were bloodied and bruised. And it was worthwhile. I have not yet put the cover plates on, they will be braces to complement the tightened belts.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

Rick

Dry boat!! :-D Well done.

Can I expect an invite for a dry boat coffee sometime? I'm busy but can always make time for such delicacies.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Hey Antipodeans,

Our boat has a hot water system / calorifier that takes a lot of space, and don't let me tell you about all the pipes and pumps that is plugged on. In such a small boat, we can only find it a waste of space and we've already got showers sorted with a 1,5L garden pressure thingy for weeding.

I was wondering if anyone was interested, as we're going to put it up on gumtree soon. It's a Kuuma 40611, capacity 25 liters and we've contacted the distributor and it was sold in 2017. It has had surely little use as the whole system looks as new as it can look.

Here's for more infos:
    https://oceansolutions.com.au/water-...er-system.html

We'll include a good amount of pipes, fittings and water pumps in the deal to make it all more juicy.

Will need to be picked up near Caringbah, South Sydney.

IMG_0920.JPG

Thanks!

Jorge

There is a bit of a rule here about not posting for sale ads.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Ahh well, major water coming in through the cockpit floor. Starting to work on that.

Can I expect an invite for a dry boat coffee sometime? I'm busy but can always make time for such delicacies.

Of course. Today there was so much dancing and whooping and general celebration going on that there was only room for one of us on board.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Congratulations!

Rick
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    There is a bit of a rule here about not posting for sale ads.

There is but I can't really see how advertising equipment like this here actually competes with WB or any of its advertisers. I might send a question to Scot as using our little thread for trading from time to time would be handy.

By the way, that Sika Butyl ended up costing me $28 for 1 tube. How much did it end up costing you?

And since your wondrous success with butyl tape, I'm athinkin' that I might try some tape for my problematic hatch. Someone posted a source of tape here recently but I'm too lazy to go searching. So, where do you get it? I have the Bunnings stuff ....

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Dry is good. I have a piece of gaffer tape keeping one bit dry. I want to do a bit of sailing before I tackle it.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeR View Post
    Hey Antipodeans,

Our boat has a hot water system / calorifier that takes a lot of space, and don't let me tell you about all the pipes and pumps that is plugged on. In such a small boat, we can only find it a waste of space and we've already got showers sorted with a 1,5L garden pressure thingy for weeding.

Jorge

Good decision. Would it really be a cruising yacht with hot showers from the tap? I don't think so. I was in a very nice and cosy cruising yacht in 2017 which had a diesel fuel space heater. It was brilliant. The owners are a really lovely couple. But then they had a bit of an incident while filling the water tanks using a fire hose and all the insides of the boat got wet. I think Poseidon may have taken a personal interest in bringing them back to reality.

Oh those were good days. In Twofold Bay NSW in the middle of winter at anchor on lovely boats.

There is but I can't really see how advertising equipment like this here actually competes with WB or any of its advertisers. I might send a question to Scot as using our little thread for trading from time to time would be handy.

By the way, that Sika Butyl ended up costing me $28 for 1 tube. How much did it end up costing you?

And since your wondrous success with butyl tape, I'm athinkin' that I might try some tape for my problematic hatch. Someone posted a source of tape here recently but I'm too lazy to go searching. So, where do you get it? I have the Bunnings stuff ....

Rick
    I think it was about 100 for 5 tubes.ive been using Bunnings butyl tape, I think I posted a photo a while back. It's quite wide and black. Oddly the stuff in a bigger roll was noticeably harder than the smaller roll. Same label. Caravan supply places are apparently a good source. And I saw some in a funny little shop that sells casting and moulding supplies. I think it's used for vacuum bagging. I reckon in John's deck thread someone found a dental supplies place in Adelaide that sells it too.

Good decision. Would it really be a cruising yacht with hot showers from the tap? I don't think so. I was in a very nice and cosy cruising yacht in 2017 which had a diesel fuel space heater. It was brilliant. The owners are a really lovely couple. But then they had a bit of an incident while filling the water tanks using a fire hose and all the insides of the boat got wet. I think Poseidon may have taken a personal interest in bringing them back to reality.

Oh those were good days. In Twofold Bay NSW in the middle of winter at anchor on lovely boats.

You saying my boat is not a cruising boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think it was about 100 for 5 tubes.ive been using Bunnings butyl tape, I think I posted a photo a while back. It's quite wide and black. Oddly the stuff in a bigger roll was noticeably harder than the smaller roll. Same label. Caravan supply places are apparently a good source. And I saw some in a funny little shop that sells casting and moulding supplies. I think it's used for vacuum bagging. I reckon in John's deck thread someone found a dental supplies place in Adelaide that sells it too.

Dentists must use it for people whose dentures keep falling out.

So, you bogged up all your chainplates with butyl tape from Bunnings??? Now I am even more impressed! Particularly as I already have a roll ....

Rick

I have a water heater that is really just a heat exchanger that attaches to the engine's heat exchanger. I haven't installed it yet. It was a gift. I'm wondering how well it will work. It can only be used with the engine running, which is okay, but I'm wondering how hot the water will get. I wonder if I'll need to have a mixer so that I can regulate the temperature.

Rick

Rick
    Here Rick

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Butyl-Ma...72.m2749.l2648

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Thanks!! I promise not to lose it this time!

Rick

Whips, sorry, did not know about the rule stuff. But I see a bit if a yes/no about it... I don't mind editing it! Let me know. Thanks anyhow.

Bruce, friends of ours want to us to get a chinese diesel heater that goes for $200... small and compact and what not. I have just spent three days cleaning the bilge and the last thing I wanna have is another diesel system.

By the way, I was going to ask this somewhere else, but since we're in the diesel topic:

'Yeswhen' has got a normal (reasonable size) fuel tank, that goes to a day tank pushed trough an electrical pump, that then delivers it by gravity to the engine. On this circuit there is, beside a leak somewhere (the engine sump had quite a good puddle till today) two diesel/water separators, the first one between tank and daytank and second one between daytank and engine. Is this normal? And the idea that I am dependant on electricity to fill the day tank trickles my bellies, although It's suposed to be that if theres no power for cranking will be no power for anyone anyhow...

It might not be normal but I think it's a good idea to have a filter between the tanks and between the tank and the engine.

Rick

Yes I bogged them up with Bunnings tape. Here's the pic again for convenience.

Our water heater runs off 240 volts on the marina, or engine heat when away. It doesn't heat if you just idle the engine, but is fantastic if using the engine to push the boat along.

I don't recall having a hot shower on Balia. Or a cold one. I remember walking up into Portland and not finding their showers, and buying special tomatoes and croissants. But I think I remember being stinky on Balia. Maybe I am just forgetting because I want to.

I'm not offended by your mention of a water heater for sale, and Rick's idea is good. But sometimes the site administrator bans people for breaking rules. I have one of those Chinese diesel heaters which I plan to put in my boat. Looking forward to cosy warmth. Shouldn't leak any diesel into the bilge. They seem pretty good.

The public showers at Portland are the best I've ever seen. You missed a real treat. You'd recall having hot water in the galley?