Page 1318 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 318818121812681308131713181319132813681418 ... LastLast
Results 46,096 to 46,130 of 49855

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

They say it's going to rain, starting tonight. Maybe 50mm or so. That's more than double what we've had this year so far. So I've gone ahead and sealed my chain plates with butyl tape. No deck plates yet. I'm having a no energy afternoon. Drove to Horsham and back yesterday to collect my sons friends broken car. 13 hours behind the wheel is too much.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Overcast with drizzle.
    Listening to some nice music, check out the tea ceremony.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

That looks good Phil!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    They say it's going to rain, starting tonight. Maybe 50mm or so. That's more than double what we've had this year so far. So I've gone ahead and sealed my chain plates with butyl tape. No deck plates yet. I'm having a no energy afternoon. Drove to Horsham and back yesterday to collect my sons friends broken car. 13 hours behind the wheel is too much.

Are you having a dry-boat celebration aboard Balia tonight, or is that premature due to cockpit work? It's about time you guys spent a night aboard, complete with champers or Coopers or boat coffee or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That looks good Phil!

Rick
    Thanks. It feels like it's making a good seal. Very sticky stuff. S bit like a firm pizza dough. Maybe a bit stiffer. Quite hard to mash down into the gaps but it behaves a bit like a very thick liquid, if you keep pushing and kneading it keeps working down into the gaps. Plates on top will compress it a little and give a nice finish.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Are you having a dry-boat celebration aboard Balia tonight, or is that premature due to cockpit work? It's about time you guys spent a night aboard, complete with champers or Coopers or boat coffee or whatever.

I'm home. Not ready to celebrate anything yet, as you say the cockpit needs finishing. And starting. And the boat is too much of a worksite for any on board goings on. Besides all the bunk cushions and bedding and carpet and things are at home. And there are no lights. It will be a little while yet before we open any bubbles. It's a nice thought though.

Thanks. It feels like it's making a good seal. Very sticky stuff. S bit like a firm pizza dough. Maybe a bit stiffer. Quite hard to mash down into the gaps but it behaves a bit like a very thick liquid, if you keep pushing and kneading it keeps working down into the gaps. Plates on top will compress it a little and give a nice finish.

Well, people have been using butyl tape that way for a long time! I think the most important thing will be to form a little bead of butyl around the edge of the underside of the plate and around the slot. It shouldn't leak - at least, I can't see how it could leak.

Rick

Well, people have been using butyl tape that way for a long time! I think the most important thing will be to form a little bead of butyl around the edge of the underside of the plate and around the slot. It shouldn't leak - at least, I can't see how it could leak.

Rick
    Usually I think not as thick a void as I have made. In fact I don't think the little bead will do diddly squat in my case but I'll do it anyway.

I don't know how to cut and paste BOM radar images. But it's quite exciting. Yorke Peninsula is all yellow green and blue. Wow.

Aha. Take a photo of the computer with the phone. Then post here. Like when Bruce was doing his famous voyage.

Go stand out in the rain after pouring ice cold water down between your clothes and your body.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

Go stand out in the rain after pouring ice cold water down between your clothes and your body.

Nah, might as well just go sailing.

Wow looks like good rain.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Nah, might as well just go sailing.

It's not this cold yet.

Hi Jorge. Not sure I get the cloak and dagger stuff with false boat names, but welcome anyway. Learn to post pics. It's easy. I'm quite friendly really, but sometimes a bit blunt.

Hi Phil, we saw your beauty when visiting Bruce, well done!

We've just landed on 'yeswhen', and by trying one of the bilge pumps I've realised that one of the pipes is broken. Looks like it has quite a sharp elbow to go trough and it has pinched itself.

Where would I find a good replacement? Take into account that I have (yet) zero knowledge on marine suppliers in OZ, although Theres good Whithworths catalogues on board so I'd probably head there as my first choice.

Attached hopefully a pic of the pipe to be replaced.

IMG_0861.jpg
    Thanks!

Hi Jorge.

Forgive me for contradicting you, but I think "yeswhen" is actually "ifwhen", the "si" being based in Latin rather than Spanish. There is a term "si quando..." meaning whenever, or if ever, (if when)

Unless the builder was Spanish, or maybe he actually meant "yeswhen" as in "Are we going to sail around the world?" "Yeswhen I finish building the boat" or in your case "Yeswhen we replace the bilge hose"

If you are looking for a working marina to stay for a little while you would do well to head north to Lemon Tree Passage. I stayed there a little while and did a few jobs on Arawana. The trip would allow you to discover other jobs. It's around 100 nautical miles from you. Very friendly and knowledgeable locals.

You will probably find a better hose cheaper at an agricultural supply place. I don't know your area but we are in the Hills out of Adelaide and I'd be going to a local place for some suction pump hose.

A lot of Whitworths stock is dangerously poor quality Chinese rubbish.

Usually I think not as thick a void as I have made. In fact I don't think the little bead will do diddly squat in my case but I'll do it anyway.

The idea's to prevent water from seeping under the plate.

Rick

Yes of course.

Do we know this boat?20190501_151217.jpg

Is that Rick's friends yacht from Nelson . A Grahame Shannon design from Waterline Yachts US ?

It was Graeme's boat but he sold it a year or so ago. It's a Canadian designed (I think) and built steel boat. Graeme is Masina's former owner. I sailed with Graeme from Eden to Hobart via the Bass Strait islands on Casteele. A lovely boat, especially the interior.

Rick

The butyl in a tube, well 5 tubes, arrived today. Not sure what I'll do with it now I've sealed my shroud plates. Couldn't wait because of this unseasonal rain.

You will probably find a better hose cheaper at an agricultural supply place. I don't know your area but we are in the Hills out of Adelaide and I'd be going to a local place for some suction pump hose.

A lot of Whitworths stock is dangerously poor quality Chinese rubbish.

Thanks for the advice, happy to read about that. A lot of this boat seems to be supplied from there and some of them looks very, very cheap. Area is South Sydney, if any names ring a bell please let me know!

It was Graeme's boat but he sold it a year or so ago. It's a Canadian designed (I think) and built steel boat. Graeme is Masina's former owner. I sailed with Graeme from Eden to Hobart via the Bass Strait islands on Casteele. A lovely boat, especially the interior.

Rick
    I remember you sailing on it but forgot the connection with Masina. Young family have it now, they're in a few boats along from us. Leaving for the pacific soon I'm told.

Lots of rain here these last couple of days. Need to get on and do the cockpit floor asap! Annoyingly 2 of my newly sealed shroud plates have let some water through. I know not how. Undecided whether to dig out as much of the butyl as I can and try again, or push on and hope the top cover plates seal them off. There is also one small drip where I worked the new deck around the old in way of the mast. I'm not completely surprised at that and a proper fix might have to wait for some time in the future when the mast comes out for whatever reason. Then I can replace that bit of deck completely and splice it into the new. That has always been on the cards. I do have a bit if an idea of a plan that might fix it without removing the mast. Overall not quite the brilliant success I had hoped for.

Well I got the steering pedestal off, so that's movement in the right direction. It's base was only sealed with a manky and mostly non existent strand of caulking cotton, which explains why it's always leaked a bit. Its removal raises a whole nuther question. And that's what to do with the engine controls. I don't know what the setup was originally. There seems to be a single Morse type cable coming down, attached to a bit of rod which comes out near the top. The rod probably once had a throttle or gear lever, but has been cut off. The previous owner to me put a nice new motor in her, but the control cables come up through the cockpit floor next to the pedestal, and up through a plywood box, to which is attached the combined throttle and gear shift. The pedestal has some other remnant shafts and sprockets which I think were about controlling the Hendestedt prop. The cockpit is narrow and the box for the engine controls takes valuable space, and people are forever accidentally hitting the engine controls as they move around the cockpit. I'm sure a clever marine engineer could do something good, but I wouldn't be able to pay him. Anyway, just thinking aloud here. Please feel free to join in.

Well, we need a photo of the box with the engine controls. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Well, we need a photo of the box with the engine controls. :-)
    I know. It's at home. This is all I have on the phone. When I got the boat the box was on the side, which really blocked the cockpit on that side. I moved it to the front and made a new box, which is better. I guess I want to put the engine control cables inside the pedestal, but there's not enough space in the pedestal for the works that sit in behind the lever. I may have to learn to weld stainless and craft a small box on on the side of the pedestal, just big enough for the controls.

Moving the box to the front was a big improvement. But it's not elegant. Maybe I should just search Gumtree for a pedestal with controls ready to go.

I think I'd add some if that Sika butyl to the mix to the point where you have no leak then add the plates. Belt and braces.

I don't know about engine control placement. I do hate things to be in the way of sail management. I guess I'd sort of sit in the empty cockpit with a few blocks of wood representing various controls, go through the motions and see where I'd like things to be. Putting them there is sort of the easy part!

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 05-03-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Is there any possibility of converting to a tiller? That would open up your cockpit more than moving engine controls. Sorry, that's probably a heretical question to a big-boat man.

It's a centre-cockpit ketch. So not really.

A centre cockpit ketch with 2 rudders. So we will definitely be staying with a wheel, and the pedestal and wheel won't be moving anywhere. I think I was just having a brain stall due to the leaks. There's a bunch of redundant stuff to come out of the pedestal which will make some room. Then a neat little stainless pod on the side will hold the engine controls. A modification to the grab bar at the front will stop bums hitting the controls and I will be happy. There's some metal work to do between here and there. I'll just have to find a way to do that. I have a big mig welder I have never used and a friend has a plasma cutter which sounds like a cool tool.