Page 1317 of 1428 FirstFirst ... 317817121712671307131613171318132713671417 ... LastLast
Results 46,061 to 46,095 of 49965

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #46061
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Got a reply from sika. 5-11 and 7-11 have been discontinued

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  2. #46062
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Thanks. $18 for a tube which is fine but $21 for shipping. Which sucks. If it's the right stuff I'll get several tubes, which makes the shipping less sucky. Geez why is it so hard to get a bit of butyl!

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  3. #46063
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    So I've ordered 5 tubes. Wish me luck.

    I haven't been to the boat for a couple of weeks. Mainly due to entertaining visitors from the UK. But I think also procrastinating. I've been worried that butyl tape won't squish right into my gaps, and was not happy with selleys butyl in a tube. So it's nice to have a way forward. Have to get this right first time, like everything else!

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 04-25-2019 at 06:48 PM.

  4. #46064
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Good luck.

    Do you have to get it right first time?
    I thought the idea was it's not permanent like 5200 or something. If it leaks can you not pull it out and try something else?

  5. #46065
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Getting any flavour of sticky goo out of the gap between the shroud plates and the deck will not really be possible.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  6. #46066
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I guess not.

  7. #46067
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,587

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Thanks. $18 for a tube which is fine but $21 for shipping. Which sucks. If it's the right stuff I'll get several tubes, which makes the shipping less sucky. Geez why is it so hard to get a bit of butyl!

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Good question! I ordered 2 tubes on Neil's recommendation a few days ago. I used the Selleys one on windows at home and it's seemed fine but I haven't heard anything positive about it from anyone else so I'd be reluctant to use it on the boat. I think butyl mastic is great stuff - I don't know why it's no longer prevalent. You can buy butyl tape at Bunnings but I don't know if it's any good. Generally used for roofing sheets, I think.

    Rick

  8. #46068
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Yeah I bought a roll of butyl tape at Bunnings on the way to the boat today. I like it. It squishes into a very pliable sticky blob, which now that I have ordered 5 tubes of sika I think will push down very nicely into my shroud plate cavities, but won't run out the bottom. Just for fun I made a temporary shroud plate boot. It's got no strength to it but I expect it will keep rain out while I procrastinate.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  9. #46069
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    144

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Phil , with the larger cavities around the chainplates you may need some sort of permanent support ( scribe/fit/screw a small piece of well sealed 6mm ) on the under side of the deck. A large volume of non setting sika butyl may not defy gravity ! This is how I fixed Gleam's chainplate

  10. #46070
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    63,440

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Winter arrived with a blast this morning. 6am warmish with a light drizzle, 12am squalls, hail, heavy rain down to 8c.
    Surf at Bells LARGE!!!

  11. #46071
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil C View Post
    Phil , with the larger cavities around the chainplates you may need some sort of permanent support ( scribe/fit/screw a small piece of well sealed 6mm ) on the under side of the deck. A large volume of non setting sika butyl may not defy gravity ! This is how I fixed Gleam's chainplate
    Yes thanks, that's always been part of the plan. I made my first underplate today. Not sure how to attach it. Cant use screws because the beam shelf is in the way. I tried contact cement today. Dont ask me why. I dont think thats the answer. I think tomorrow Ill get some polyurethane adhesive and go with that.

    But please tell me more, I'd love to know more details of your repair.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 04-26-2019 at 06:37 AM.

  12. #46072
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sorrento Australia
    Posts
    3,032

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Found this company up the road from here at Breaside Vic:

    http://www.optiseal.com.au/

    Butyl Adhesives, Butyl Tapes Specialists

    OptiSeal Australia Pty Ltd is a specialist supplier of butyl adhesives, water proofing membranes, butyl tapes, butyl waterproofing, bonding and sealing products.
    With extensive experience in the pressure sensitive tape industry we can offer a comprehensive range of butyl products employing the latest developments in butyl adhesives technology. Also see our FireBlock™ brochure for further information about fire resistant butyl tape. Click on our FireBlock™ flametest video to see how FireBlock™ performs under intense heat - fire-resistant butyl tape.
    Butyl adhesives have some unique properties that make them ideal for use in a range of applications where strong, permanent visco-elastic bonds are required.
    OptiSeal has conversion equipment to customise existing materials or, working with customers, develop a unique tailored solution to meet a particular application's requirements. For further advice on our range of extruded butyl profiles or supported calendared butyl, contact us directly with your requirements at seals@optiseal.com.au.

    Give us a call on (03) 9587 6022 or drop us a line!

    =-==-=-==

    and Boat Wharehouse online stocks optiseal butyl tape rolls at $19.11 a roll
    https://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/...YaAi8zEALw_wcB



    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

    "Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

  13. #46073
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default

    A couple of friends have just bought a nice looking wooden boat south of Sydney. They were going to ask about it here but then didn't want to be gazzumped.

    Anyone know about Siquando?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  14. #46074
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Found this company up the road from here at Breaside Vic:

    http://www.optiseal.com.au/

    Butyl Adhesives, Butyl Tapes Specialists

    OptiSeal Australia Pty Ltd is a specialist supplier of butyl adhesives, water proofing membranes, butyl tapes, butyl waterproofing, bonding and sealing products.
    With extensive experience in the pressure sensitive tape industry we can offer a comprehensive range of butyl products employing the latest developments in butyl adhesives technology. Also see our FireBlock™ brochure for further information about fire resistant butyl tape. Click on our FireBlock™ flametest video to see how FireBlock™ performs under intense heat - fire-resistant butyl tape.
    Butyl adhesives have some unique properties that make them ideal for use in a range of applications where strong, permanent visco-elastic bonds are required.
    OptiSeal has conversion equipment to customise existing materials or, working with customers, develop a unique tailored solution to meet a particular application's requirements. For further advice on our range of extruded butyl profiles or supported calendared butyl, contact us directly with your requirements at seals@optiseal.com.au.

    Give us a call on (03) 9587 6022 or drop us a line!

    =-==-=-==

    and Boat Wharehouse online stocks optiseal butyl tape rolls at $19.11 a roll
    https://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/...YaAi8zEALw_wcB



    Well done. I was looking at their website yesterday too. Couldn't find a retailer though. The Bunnings stuff is too black and too wide for most of what I want to do. Might get some of the white optiseal. Love this place and my imaginary friends.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  15. #46075
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,299

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Walking around town yesterday I noticed an add for a nice looking Hartley 16 for sale. I was originally going to build one but went for the big sister instead.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  16. #46076
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    A couple of friends have just bought a nice looking wooden boat south of Sydney. They were going to ask about it here but then didn't want to be gazzumped.

    Anyone know about Siquando?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    This Siquando? https://brokerage.burraneerbaymarina...stom-30-sloop/

    No, but on the basis of just the info in the ad your friends got a bargain.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  17. #46077
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    673

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Yes thanks, that's always been part of the plan. I made my first underplate today. Not sure how to attach it. Cant use screws because the beam shelf is in the way. I tried contact cement today. Dont ask me why. I dont think thats the answer. I think tomorrow Ill get some polyurethane adhesive and go with that.

    But please tell me more, I'd love to know more details of your repair.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    i would go with hardwood epoxied in place with a few mm gap around the chain plate. A fillet of thickened epoxy from the top covering the plywood edges and leaving no hard corner for moisture to sit. Then I would put a coat or two of neat epoxy over that wet on wet. I know you have 14 so it's a bit of work. But that will give a very good and waterproof base to mastic your cover plates onto. If water does ever get in it can go out through the little gap you leave around the chain plate.

  18. #46078
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    This Siquando? https://brokerage.burraneerbaymarina...stom-30-sloop/

    No, but on the basis of just the info in the ad your friends got a bargain.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


    That's the one. She really looks very good according to the friends who bought her. They're very happy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  19. #46079
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    3,294

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Crossed the Equator at 6.00 am present position is 01.28N 154.18W . Christmas Island locates in the Line Is about 130 nm on our port with another 1172 nm to our destinations in Hawaii.
    Presently steering 353 degrees and averaging 20 kn aboard the Solstice under partially sunny skies with moderate seas and light trades to 10 kn from the NW.

  20. #46080
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    i would go with hardwood epoxied in place with a few mm gap around the chain plate. A fillet of thickened epoxy from the top covering the plywood edges and leaving no hard corner for moisture to sit. Then I would put a coat or two of neat epoxy over that wet on wet. I know you have 14 so it's a bit of work. But that will give a very good and waterproof base to mastic your cover plates onto. If water does ever get in it can go out through the little gap you leave around the chain plate.
    I'm using Tuffnol for the plates underneath and on top. The gaps aren't really big enough to be putting epoxy fillets inside. I can see how that would be good though. My plan is to fit the under plates, fill the void with butyl, then a plate on top, seated on butyl. I'm thinking it's going to work.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  21. #46081
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    144

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Phil , a good plan, Tufnol is great stuff. I have 6mm tufnol under each stanchion base bedded in butyl , also used it for some components on my pendulum servo gear. The fabric based tufnol is best for external use .

  22. #46082
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Yes I will be doing Tuffnol plates under stanchion bases too. Maybe a sandwich. Plate on top and plate underneath. Should help spread the load.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 04-27-2019 at 12:49 AM.

  23. #46083
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    I got a bit ahead of myself today and cut and fixed all the under deck blocks. Happy I am.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  24. #46084
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,299

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    BZ mate.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  25. #46085
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I got a bit ahead of myself today and cut and fixed all the under deck blocks. Happy I am.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk


    Top work!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  26. #46086
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Brilliant!

  27. #46087
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,299

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    On the other hand I had a zero energy day...just one of those days I guess.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  28. #46088
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    673

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I got a bit ahead of myself today and cut and fixed all the under deck blocks. Happy I am.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    sounds like you were in tune! Pure PHILharmonics

  29. #46089
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    I've decided I think I will most probably use mostly butyl tape morphed into pliable rubber, in my shroud plate cavities, but will use goop from a tube where the gap is too narrow to squeeze rubber in. Waiting for the goop that I've ordered to arrive, so starting on the next part of the job, which is replacement of the cockpit floor. And the first part of that is removal of the steering pedestal. The steering is like something out of an industrial revolution era factory. All grease and shafts and gears. Progress is being made.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  30. #46090
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    The forecast is for rain most of this week. It's a week early. Bugger.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  31. #46091
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    63,440

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    We had 15mm last week, (sunday to sunday 9am) Just enough to soften the ground. Send it our way Phil.
    Nasty day's sailing for the last racing day of the season. 15-18 kts gusting to 25 from the NW. Possibly the worst wind direction from our sailing ground's alignment. Means 'around the block' follow the leader racing, the 'block' being a very large sand bar. Lots of capsises, but the water is warm.

  32. #46092
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Aust
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Ahoi antipodeans!

    With the blessings of Bruce we've felt very welcome to post here. As the prospects of ownership of a sailboat were not pointing towards a woodenboat, I thought the invite was polite, but not to be used. As it goes, we've come across a vessel that suita us, and has a good story behind that still has a lot to be discovered. 'Yeswhen' has been moored around Yowie Bay, and if anyone knows or it rings a bell the history of such vessel we'd love to keep filling th blank pages of this beautiful book that we've discovered!

    At present we're on the first steps, getting a HIN (as the boat had only the same owner that built the boat) and changing registration names. I've already got a questin about that, but I'll make a new thread. On the meantime, thanks for reading and lookinf forward to keep posting around here.


    p.s: 'Yeswhen' is a ficticious name, more info on signature

  33. #46093
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,299

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Went to the eye specialist today where I was inspected, questioned but basically ignored while they discussed details. I felt like they were discussing the removal of a floor stain. Topped that off with a slow peak hour drive back down the freeway.
    Having a beer while I wait for Kerry to finish whatever meeting she is at...humpf.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  34. #46094
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeR View Post
    Ahoi antipodeans!

    With the blessings of Bruce we've felt very welcome to post here. As the prospects of ownership of a sailboat were not pointing towards a woodenboat, I thought the invite was polite, but not to be used. As it goes, we've come across a vessel that suita us, and has a good story behind that still has a lot to be discovered. 'Yeswhen' has been moored around Yowie Bay, and if anyone knows or it rings a bell the history of such vessel we'd love to keep filling th blank pages of this beautiful book that we've discovered!

    At present we're on the first steps, getting a HIN (as the boat had only the same owner that built the boat) and changing registration names. I've already got a questin about that, but I'll make a new thread. On the meantime, thanks for reading and lookinf forward to keep posting around here.


    p.s: 'Yeswhen' is a ficticious name, more info on signature


    Hola! You made it to the forum at last. Welcome. Kia Ora to Jodi too.

    Jorge and Jodi are very good friends of mine, sailors with very interesting stories to tell, and the new owners of Siquando, a half tonner now cruising yacht.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  35. #46095
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Hi Jorge. Not sure I get the cloak and dagger stuff with false boat names, but welcome anyway. Learn to post pics. It's easy. I'm quite friendly really, but sometimes a bit blunt.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •