Page 1315 of 1369 FirstFirst ... 31581512151265130513141315131613251365 ... LastLast
Results 45,991 to 46,025 of 47891

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    My Sabre goes back on the water on Sunday. It wil be a relief not to be sailing a boat that is just too old and heavy for convenience. And far too delicate for regular use, the ply has to be rather carefully handled.
    She sails OK though.
    Good job

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looks like it’s going to be a wet day.
    Oh well, can always read books and sleep on the boat and do those jobs another day. I've forgotten what rain is.

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Lying on my bunk with a good book is a pleasure I shall enjoy later today.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Finally removed my scared panties and started glueing up my mast today. Carbon reinforced!
    !IMG_6019.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Finally removed my scared panties and started glueing up my mast today. Carbon reinforced!
    !IMG_6019.jpg
    No thickened epoxy, your joinery must be smicko.

Haha. That was just the wet out, Gflex came next. Didn't get a photo as time was tight. Will try again tomorrow

Reports of snow in WA, a warm NEaster here and a full moon. I've been sailing under the moon tonight. It's been a while, not very long and not very far but magic all the same.

My Sabre has no name, just a number.
    So tomorrow when I put her number on the transom I'm going to add "SIBBO'.

Reports of snow in WA, a warm NEaster here and a full moon. I've been sailing under the moon tonight. It's been a while, not very long and not very far but magic all the same.

The last bit I like.

Great name, good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

!IMG_6019.jpg
    So, you're running a carbon strip along the inside of each bird's mouth section are you?

Rick

That's nice Jeff!

Rick

Go Sibbo! May the sea be kind to all who sail upon her.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    So, you're running a carbon strip along the inside of each bird's mouth section are you?

Rick
    Yep

It's a bit of a pig of a day here. Northerly 15 knots, dusty, dry, 32 degrees. Topsoil in the air. It's so dry down here at Largs the garden has reverted to beach sand. It's the sort of day that dogs hide round the back door of the pubs and Aunties gag the kids lest their gleeful antics set a temper off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Very quiet on the river today the rain and wind is keeping the riffraff off the water. Though we damn near ran down a five man outrigger. We were coming out of Fingle Boat Harbour and this big canoe popped around the end of northern side of the entrance and right under our bow...it was very quickly astern both while they madly paddled to starboard . Very close thing. Coming back down river from Chinderah the rain came down that thick we put the nav lights on.

Sunday, a boat full of tools and it’s raining. I might go home early.

The rain backed off and I got the new grab rail on so that is one more thing off the list.

If you were still in WA you'd be enjoying cool sunny and windless autumn days right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    If you were still in WA you'd be enjoying cool sunny and windless autumn days right now.
    I don't really mind the rain as we've dipped out on two wet seasons now. It was nice to come home and see water flowing in the creek. Our tanks, small as they are have overflowed and I know there's water in the dam...weird when you consider the average rainfall for here is 2 metres.

Haven't been to the boat for what seems like forever. Maybe a week. Waiting for my thinner under deck Tuffnol sheet to arrive, plus Easter and a need to drive to the Grampians and back got in the way. I've just realised it's going to be tricky to attach the under deck plates as the beam shelf prevents direct access by drill or screwdriver. I'm thinking fixtech. So kind of a permanent flexible adhesive sealant down there, topped up by butyl tape stuffed in from above all around the shroud plates and standard butyl tape treatment plus screws to hold the top plates to the deck and slightly compress everything. It might actually rain in 3 weeks or so and I still have to rebuild the cockpit floor so best get back to it soon.

I wouldn't put cover plates underneath. Better to allow moisture to escape and air to get in.

Rick

Yeah I get that, but they are bigly gaps and I think I want something to support the butyl. Not doing plates underneath would be nice as they are a real bugger to fit. I'm secretly hoping not to have moisture there of course. I might see how it looks/feels with butyl tape just squished in. It seems to behave a bit like Blu tac but stickier, so it could work. In a past repair I used fixtech just supported by masking tape until it cured. And no top plate. That worked on 2 shrouds, failed on one. I want to do better than that. And I did find when I took it apart that although well adhered to the wood it was mostly pretty easy to tear off the stainless.

Might I suggest a close fitting plate on top with a raised lip close into the chainplate. Then heat shrink tape (or similar) around the chainplate and down over the raised lip.

Little brushcutting job has built the kitty up to buying the new outboard battery time.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Might I suggest a close fitting plate on top with a raised lip close into the chainplate. Then heat shrink tape (or similar) around the chainplate and down over the raised lip.
    Nice idea but way too complicated for this bloke. On another thread about this sort of shroud plate penetration someone suggested an even more complicated fabrication, kind of a mini Maurice Griffiths hatch. With a bellows. Yeah right.

I think you should persevere with the Fixtech or Sika. Under a cover plate, it won't dry out and go hard to anything like the extent it does when exposed to direct sun. I think the butyl tape is unnecessarily complicated. Don't leave a big gap between the cover plate and the chain plate - a fairly tight slot will reduce sunlight and UV damage to the goop. Just my opinion.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Nice idea but way too complicated for this bloke. On another thread about this sort of shroud plate penetration someone suggested an even more complicated fabrication, kind of a mini Maurice Griffiths hatch. With a bellows. Yeah right.

Square of ply or something with a chainplate wide slot cut in it, fixtech the very small gaps.

Rick and Gary, yes that's exactly what's going on top. Tuffnol plate, as closely fitted as I can get it. I will try using butyl tape as the sealant. Not wrapped, just stuffed down the gap between the deck and shroud plate until I can't stuff any more. And butyl tape between the deck plate and the deck. I don't have confidence in fixtech or anything else much to seal a tiny gap between the deck plate and shroud plate. But we've discussed this before. The jury is out on whether or not to use a bottom plate. I have 14 shroud plates to experiment with, so we will see.

Have you put some everdure or equivalent in there first?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Rick and Gary, yes that's exactly what's going on top. Tuffnol plate, as closely fitted as I can get it. I will try using butyl tape as the sealant. Not wrapped, just stuffed down the gap between the deck and shroud plate until I can't stuff any more. And butyl tape between the deck plate and the deck. I don't have confidence in fixtech or anything else much to seal a tiny gap between the deck plate and shroud plate. But we've discussed this before. The jury is out on whether or not to use a bottom plate. I have 14 shroud plates to experiment with, so we will see.

I love my free standing mast.

Phwoar!!

Maybe you should junk rig your boat Phil?

Maybe you should junk rig your boat Phil?

Hahahaha