Page 1309 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 309809120912591299130813091310131913591409 ... LastLast
Results 45,781 to 45,815 of 49866

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #45781
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    So Rick, you said you like Jotun Pengaurd. Ive found a local supplier. Just before i take the plunge-is it easy to sand and good at filling? I guess Ive got 3 surfaces, broadly speaking. Mostly I used peel ply, which leaves a finely textured rough finish, like a cotton sheet, but hard. The foredeck I ran out of peel ply, so just put glass and epoxy on and left that, its got a much rougher texture, like canvas, but hard. Same with the fillets. Then theres some bits where I will sand down some lumps and bumps, I guess they will be smooth. I plan to mostly roll on, brush in the corners. Would you expect pengaurd to fill all those different textures and leave a fairly smooth finish? Or am I in all sorts of trouble now? Di I need to go over the rough textured areas with microballon filler or something?

  2. #45782
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    671

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I will let Mr K give you the final answer. If anything you could fill and fair those areas which will be painted with the trims. All other areas where you will have non slip I wouldn't worry about.

  3. #45783
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    i always wondered what RFNK stood for.
    Initials are RF. As a kid, I used to make Christmas cards etc. and used to put a little logo on the back: RF Inc. My sister said `Ah, ratfink!' which, of course, i liked, so I changed the logo to RFNK.

    Rick

  4. #45784
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    671

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Initials are RF. As a kid, I used to make Christmas cards etc. and used to put a little logo on the back: RF Inc. My sister said `Ah, ratfink!' which, of course, i liked, so I changed the logo to RFNK.

    Rick
    Nice story
    its funny how Nic names stick. I had a mate who hated Chicko rolls. He was at another friends house for dinner one night and mum served him up Chicko rolls. He stuffed them in his shorts and flushed them down the toilet. His mate later found out.
    40 years later his Nic name is still Chicko.

  5. #45785
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    So Rick, you said you like Jotun Pengaurd. Ive found a local supplier. Just before i take the plunge-is it easy to sand and good at filling? I guess Ive got 3 surfaces, broadly speaking. Mostly I used peel ply, which leaves a finely textured rough finish, like a cotton sheet, but hard. The foredeck I ran out of peel ply, so just put glass and epoxy on and left that, its got a much rougher texture, like canvas, but hard. Same with the fillets. Then theres some bits where I will sand down some lumps and bumps, I guess they will be smooth. I plan to mostly roll on, brush in the corners. Would you expect pengaurd to fill all those different textures and leave a fairly smooth finish? Or am I in all sorts of trouble now? Di I need to go over the rough textured areas with microballon filler or something?
    Two coats of Penguard will fill your canvassy texture but sand between coats. Where you've got real lumps and bumps but want it smooth, use fairing filler ( I like the West brown stuff) then Penguard. Penguard is easy to sand. It stinks so mix it out in the open or wear a mask. I find rolling it on with a mohair roller is good. It's also easy to brush it on but the brush leaves some ridges. It's like a thick paint with chalk in it so mix it well.

    I'm actually just going out to the boat now to sand some Penguard ready for finish coat tomorrow. I'll sand it with 120 then sand lightly with 240. I'm also going to bring home the cockpit hatch/sole to recoat with Kiwigrip so I'll let you know how that goes.

    Rick

  6. #45786
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Initials are RF. As a kid, I used to make Christmas cards etc. and used to put a little logo on the back: RF Inc. My sister said `Ah, ratfink!' which, of course, i liked, so I changed the logo to RFNK.

    Rick

  7. #45787
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    That's the one! The era of Mad Magazine and Whacky Plax.

    Rick

  8. #45788
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I am from the antipodes planning on building a skin on frame kayak this winter. (my first post) all best

  9. #45789
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Welcome aboard. You'll get good advice and shocking puns here.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  10. #45790
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Welcome! What design is the kayak? I plan to build a Dave Gentry design in-the-not-tooooo-distant-future.

    Rick

  11. #45791
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Welcome aboard. You'll get good advice and shocking puns here.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    He actually meant shocking advice and very good puns.

    Rick

  12. #45792
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    I don't know how to quote 2 posts in one reply, but Geftb and Rick, thanks, and thanks too to God, even though there is not a God. I was sure someone would say something like " Oh dear, you didn't fill the weave? Nothing for it but to grind it all off and start again." Or words to that effect.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  13. #45793
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Give all the areas a light sand with about 120 before you put the primer on, just to help it bind, as resin is so glossy. And as Geftb says, don't worry about the areas where you're putting deck finish on. Just a light sand on those parts, one coat of primer (Penguard) and you won't even need to sand it before you put the Kwikgrip on.

    So, what's the origin of Geftb? It sounds like something from Red Dwarf.

    Rick

  14. #45794
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Dawn.jpg

    Rick

  15. #45795
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Ooooh a picture. Good job.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  16. #45796
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    No, just a picture. Actually that part of Masina's deck still needs to be repainted. The deck finish is okay but the white trim is lifting. I don't know when it was painted. It's hard paint - hard to sand.

    Rick

  17. #45797
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    671

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

    So, what's the origin of Geftb? It sounds like something from Red Dwarf.

    Rick
    its written under it. Good enough for the bush. Came from my apprenticeship days in Darwin. One of the old tradies I used to work under, it was his favourite saying. I still use it frequently as well.

  18. #45798
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Welcome! What design is the kayak? I plan to build a Dave Gentry design in-the-not-tooooo-distant-future.

    Rick
    I am thinking Dave Gentry Chuckanut 17. Is Paulownia timber suitable? hope to start in July. Thanks RFNK

  19. #45799
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Sounds like Paulownia should work: https://www.wood-database.com/paulownia/ I'd like to see pics of that!

  20. #45800
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    its written under it. Good enough for the bush. Came from my apprenticeship days in Darwin. One of the old tradies I used to work under, it was his favourite saying. I still use it frequently as well.
    There goes any chance I ever had of winning the Sherlock award!

    Rick

  21. #45801
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by downunder View Post
    I am thinking Dave Gentry Chuckanut 17. Is Paulownia timber suitable? hope to start in July. Thanks RFNK
    I know they use it a fair bit for wooden surfboards and paddle boards but I've never used it and don't know anything about it. It's the Mobjack Bay I'm planning to build. I'll probably skin it with plywood rather than fabric. Maybe I'll get some paulownia!

    Rick

  22. #45802
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    5,367

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Good enough for the bush.
    ooh, I like it.
    In theatre we used to say 'good enough for panto'. Not extensively.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  23. #45803
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,233

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Doesn't anyone want to know what John B is an anachronism for? Anagram,etc

  24. #45804
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Doesn't anyone want to know what John B is an anachronism for? Anagram,etc
    There's not much point in asking if it's written below it.

    Rick

  25. #45805
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,233

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    What did you say?

  26. #45806
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,233

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    20190404_184521.jpg
    The boat finally got sorted after its rewire etc and I got out of that marina. Going to another one wasn't appealing so I accidentally anchored in a calm cove.
    I have no food except a packet o chips. You probably call them crisps or baked fries or sumpin. Buffalo boomerangs.dried potato flakes.
    Last edited by John B; 04-04-2019 at 12:54 AM.

  27. #45807
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    We all know you used to be a sloopy kind of guy but found it wasn't ketchy enough. Right?

    Rick

  28. #45808
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,233

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    As you get older you just want to know there's an alternative. Redundancy....probably in many ways.

  29. #45809
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    20190404_184521.jpg
    The boat finally got sorted after its rewire etc and I got out of that marina. Going to another one wasn't appealing so I accidentally anchored in a calm cove.
    I have no food except a packet o chips. You probably call them crisps or baked fries or sumpin. Buffalo boomerangs.dried potato flakes.
    And a fishing line. And rum.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  30. #45810
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,233

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    The fishing line is at home with a recent refurbished tip guide owing to bustoffedness from that last one you beauty.
    I had a beer with the chups, the rum must be hidden. Either that or I can't remember where it is.. ....

  31. #45811
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Beer is food. You didn't list that in the first inventory.

  32. #45812
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    671

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    ooh, I like it.
    In theatre we used to say 'good enough for panto'. Not extensively.
    I've done a bit of panto myself several years ago. I was the Pied Piper I was. Also in a take off of the wizard of oz. good fun!!
    Now im in Melbourne I may have been known to say Good enough for Toorak. Its very adaptable.

    All good Rick, technically I shouldn't have the t for "the" in there.

  33. #45813
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    So, JB, it wasn't that it was the worst trip you'd ever been on?

    And we call it a packet of chips.

    Rick

  34. #45814
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I do panto every time I have to walk up a hill.

    Rick

  35. #45815
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,164

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    I've done a bit of panto myself several years ago. I was the Pied Piper I was. Also in a take off of the wizard of oz. good fun!!
    Now im in Melbourne I may have been known to say Good enough for Toorak. Its very adaptable.

    All good Rick, technically I shouldn't have the t for "the" in there.
    Oh, that must have been why I missed it ........

    Rick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •