Page 1308 of 1427 FirstFirst ... 308808120812581298130713081309131813581408 ... LastLast
Results 45,746 to 45,780 of 49941

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #45746
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Excellent Bruce and Rick. Do you have decent sailing weather up there this time of year Rick? Must be about ready for a bit of that. The repower has been a big job.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  2. #45747
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,605

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Excellent, Rick! All done.

    Bruce, I bet Romana was pleased to see you.

  3. #45748
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Always excellent sailing weather here thanks Phil! Lots to do but no real excuse for not sailing. But I don't report every sail . ..

    Rick

  4. #45749
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Excellent, Rick! All done.

    Bruce, I bet Romana was pleased to see you.


    Darn right. I spent an hour just cleaning up and getting everything off that should come off, and having a bit of a look at what tender care should come next.

    In the meantime while I'm pondering that list I'm going to see if I can get her in the water for a slow sail to Glenelg. I have to test the mast for stiffness at the pointy end and I need to see how easy it is to set and retrieve the anchor. So a picnic lunch off Glenelg beach sounds like a good thing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  5. #45750
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    What time are you launching?

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  6. #45751
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Did you mean lunching?

    Rick

  7. #45752
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    What time are you launching?

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk


    Some time tomorrow I think. I slept in.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  8. #45753
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Let's hope Phil packed sandwiches then.

    Rick

  9. #45754
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Too wet here to finish painting cockpit repairs so I'm about to commence rewiring instead. I actually enjoy fiddling with electrics.

    Rick

  10. #45755
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    872

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Or you could go fishing... did you see this??

    100kg shark head caught in NSW sparks debate over predator's grim fate
    ABC South East NSW By Adriane Reardon

    A man holds a shark head on a boat. The shark head has bite chunks taken out of its torso.

    The remains of a shark caught by a commercial fisherman on the New South Wales South Coast is generating debate on social media about how the animal met its fate.
    Bermagui local Jason 'Trapman' Moyce reeled the head onto his boat last week after it got hooked on a line reserved for smaller sea creatures.
    Mr Moyce then shared an image to Facebook of his apprentice Jasper Lay holding the head of the shark with large bite-like chunks taken out of it.
    "We see a lot of sharks get eaten but this has to be one of the bigger ones," Mr Moyce said.
    ...
    Mr Moyce believed the shark was likely eaten by another shark, such as a great white, or even cannibalised by one of its own kind.
    After eight years of commercial fishing on the far South Coast, he said the find had unnerved him.
    "I'm in a pretty big boat," Mr Moyce said.
    "But the thought of being in the ocean at night doesn't really do me any favours."
    But the surprises did not stop there.


    A marlin bill is held above the head of a shark, which had been pulled out from the throat of the dead animal.
    PHOTO: The shark head was found with a 30cm marlin bill lodged in its throat. (Facebook: Trapman Bermagui)
    Mr Moyce found a 30-centimetre marlin bill sticking out of the shark's throat.
    He said the skin had healed over the puncture, indicating the bill had been inside the shark for years.
    "It just shows the amazing healing powers of sharks," Mr Moyce said.

  11. #45756
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default

    Anybody want to buy a small boat or a smaller kayak? I don't like the idea of dying in the jaws of a shark like that one or the one that ate it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  12. #45757
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    5,494

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I saw that pic a few days ago.
    We (The Australian Museum) got 5 mako shark pups off the same fisherman - we're trying to preserve their cartilage skeleton.

    We can acquire sharks killed as by-catch. The fishermen are not allowed to sell them, they have to chuck them over otherwise.

    Possible White Shark bite - or as the shark was caught on a long line, possibly a big Tiger shark did some scavenging. After that probably only a killer whale could do it - which isn't likely around here.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  13. #45758
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I'd rather be eaten by a big shark than a little one.

    Rick

  14. #45759
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I saw that pic a few days ago.
    We (The Australian Museum) got 5 mako shark pups off the same fisherman - we're trying to preserve their cartilage skeleton.

    We can acquire sharks killed as by-catch. The fishermen are not allowed to sell them, they have to chuck them over otherwise.

    Possible White Shark bite - or as the shark was caught on a long line, possibly a big Tiger shark did some scavenging. After that probably only a killer whale could do it - which isn't likely around here.
    There used to be plenty of killer whales around Eden so I'd have thought the coast off Bermagui would have some. Aren't they around anymore?

    Rick

  15. #45760
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    5,494

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    There used to be plenty of killer whales around Eden so I'd have thought the coast off Bermagui would have some. Aren't they around anymore?

    Rick
    I'm not from 'round here so i don't know for sure.
    But I've not heard of killer whales in my time.

    I'll ask the fish people......
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  16. #45761
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    5,494

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Righty - some redacting required then......

    https://www.wildaboutwhales.com.au/b...ed-near-sydney

    It appears Ol' Tom down at Eden left when food got scarce and Orca's hadn't been back for a while - until 2018.
    Not sure if those are here to stay or not.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  17. #45762
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Ol' Tom is still celebrated in Eden but I reckon he was a right bastard!

    Rick

  18. #45763
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    A lot of the underwater scenes in Jaws were filmed in Investigator Straight. Biggest Great Whites in the world.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  19. #45764
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Strait. Spellcheckers have crap vocab.

    Rick

  20. #45765
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Some time tomorrow I think. I slept in.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lucky bastard. I took the peel ply off my fillets and was reasonably happy with what lay underneath. A bit like taking a dressing of what was a nasty wound to find that it's pretty much healed up. Went around with a piece of sandpaper taking equal parts off the fillets and the outside edge of my hand, and I reckon it's good enough to run some glass tape over it. Also faired up the hull deck joins a bit, so they are similarly ready for some glass.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  21. #45766
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Strait. Spellcheckers have crap vocab.

    Rick
    So do I. That's how I typed it. Sorry Mr K.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  22. #45767
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    A lot of the underwater scenes in Jaws were filmed in Investigator Straight. Biggest Great Whites in the world.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk


    So we can escape Adelaide by being rolled down the stairs in the backstairs passage or sneaking past the monster sharks in investigator strait. And easterners think we're being trite when we talk stoically about Bass Strait.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  23. #45768
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    27,370

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Strait. Spellcheckers have crap vocab.

    Rick
    If your wife straightens up your jacket, are you wearing a straitjacket.....

  24. #45769
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    So do I. That's how I typed it. Sorry Mr K.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Now I wish I hadn't mentioned it. Who's Mr K?

    Rick (pedant)

  25. #45770
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    23,489

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    If your wife straightens up your jacket, are you wearing a straitjacket.....
    If it were me, it would be a straighter jacket. Anyway, she doesn't do that. Instead she wipes toothpaste remnants off my face, usually either at the cafe or after we've left.

    Rick

  26. #45771
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    32,278

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    If it were me, it would be a straighter jacket. Anyway, she doesn't do that. Instead she wipes toothpaste remnants off my face, usually either at the cafe or after we've left.

    Rick
    Does she spit on the hanky first.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  27. #45772
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Now I wish I hadn't mentioned it. Who's Mr K?

    Rick (pedant)
    RFNK Rick Frederick Nickolas Knowall or something. I dunno, whats your surname, does it start with K? Anyway, you were clearly in Teacher mode so Mr K seemed to fit.

  28. #45773
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Aaaanyway, I cut and put miles of glass tape around edges and over fillets and very happy with how it all went. Things got a bit exciting when my tray of epoxy started smoking while I was in full sun on the foredeck, but apart from that, no problems. Must buy some yellow roller trays instead of those black buggers.

  29. #45774
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,246

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Well, after months of sitting around, a polite but firm letter to the Minister for Roads finally resulted in the old Etchells trailer getting her new chassis number. What a cluster. Here in the boondocks we are expected to just wait for months on end until the right RMS man happens to be in the area. We then get one day's notice to present the trailer. If we don't happen to be around at the time, we are expected to wait another few months and then wait until the VIN section gets around to allocating the number itself.

    Of course, now I have located a brake controller fault but the vendor is onto it and I should hopefully pick up the old 28'er next week and tow her home for the long renovation.

  30. #45775
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default Antipodean Boats Connection

    Not wooden, but some may know her. A steel hull yacht of around 70 feet long, I think called Patricia Mary, has broken free of her mooring lines at Warnambool and is now lodged on rocks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  31. #45776
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    That can't be good, but being steel maybe they can just drag her off and buff out the scratches.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  32. #45777
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    8,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That can't be good, but being steel maybe they can just drag her off and buff out the scratches.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk


    I think that's sort of the plan.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

  33. #45778
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Well, after months of sitting around, a polite but firm letter to the Minister for Roads finally resulted in the old Etchells trailer getting her new chassis number. What a cluster. Here in the boondocks we are expected to just wait for months on end until the right RMS man happens to be in the area. We then get one day's notice to present the trailer. If we don't happen to be around at the time, we are expected to wait another few months and then wait until the VIN section gets around to allocating the number itself.

    Of course, now I have located a brake controller fault but the vendor is onto it and I should hopefully pick up the old 28'er next week and tow her home for the long renovation.
    Reminds me of a lovely scientific description of government and bureaucracy I saw on farcebook the other day. Sorry too hard to copy and paste on my phone.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  34. #45779
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,581

    Default

    I laid glass on the last deck edges and fillets this morning. Undercoat next. Probably a bit of sanding before I do that. But I love sanding. Not.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  35. #45780
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Melb, Vic, Aus
    Posts
    673

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    RFNK Rick Frederick Nickolas Knowall.
    i always wondered what RFNK stood for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •