Page 1298 of 1303 FirstFirst ... 298798119812481288129712981299 ... LastLast
Results 45,396 to 45,430 of 45576

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Not me. Too much other stuff to do and I probably need a break from it as I find most of the boats are pretty familiar. I know I'll miss not being there though....

Rick
    Not as much as you'll miss being there.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Not as much as you'll miss being there.
    Yes, Rick. That was disappointing, as you're usually so careful.

Damn! A misstake!

Rick

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I made on of those once. I learned from it.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote for a 30hp from Beta $10,700 inc GST.
    Flexible coupler, display panel and 3m cable, sump pump, transmission, etc.....

Still a bloody lot of money for me at any time, but not as bowel rattling as i expected.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Make sure you check shaft size compatibility with coupling, shaft coupling, prop pitch and diameter and rotation. You probably know all that but I didn't and it was helpful when pointed out. Also check engine bed compatibility and really check out placement of all the stuff you need to get at for maintenance.

$11000 for a new 30 HP sounds good to me.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    does it matter if half your boats made from pavement material?
    Not at all. You can't enter the boat in the show but you can go and drool.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Quote for a 30hp from Beta $10,700 inc GST.
    Flexible coupler, display panel and 3m cable, sump pump, transmission, etc.....

Still a bloody lot of money for me at any time, but not as bowel rattling as i expected.
    And that's where you get caught in the do I fix the old one or bite the bullet, how much is the boat really worth, how much do I really want to spend, what if I rebuild the injector pump and it turns out to be something else loop. I can't remember all the discussion on your engine woes. But before you take the plunge have you tried a good squirt of Start Ya Bastard? And keep squirting, a good old Italian tune up.

Bloody windy down at the boat today. Not ideal when I'm trying to do what will have to pass for fine detail work, tidying up edges and cutting back the top layer of ply to make for lap joins where the new meets the old around the cabin sides. I'm keeping some less than perfect ply in place where it goes under the cabin sides. Lesser of 2 evils. Not having thought far enough ahead early on I have not left as much ply as I'd like in some parts. Where the ply is rotten and I've had to cut under the cabin sides there is still some tidying to do. And some working out what the best cut will be. I do love epoxy.

That will have to do. It will be glassed and there will be a generous epoxy fillet right along the cabin side First pic is a view from underneath. Back of the cabin. Cockpit seat to the left. Sidedeck to the right. Deckbeam heading off to the right. Remnant cockpit side going aft. Second pic same area from above. Third pic, how much cockpit do I need to rebuild? I think it's just this corner.

I hear ya Bruce, but try telling that to this guy. If you don't have time restraints its completely doable.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTm...3IL7Bvtf_7nTLw
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

So I'm thinking the aft panel of the cockpit and a bit of the stbd side. And.. This is a view into the cockpit from the aft cabin. I've cutback to good ply. Fit a new piece into the hole or remove the autohelm hardware and do the whole back panel. I know. Bite the bullet. Getting sore teeth.

Last edited by Phil Y; 01-09-2019 at 12:31 AM.

It depends... :-)

You've done an impressive amount of bullet-chewing already, so it comes down to how much more you want to do this time around.

If removing the autohelm hardware is easy, and you are confident you won't find more bad on the other side and need to re-plate your teeth, then why not do the whole panel?

On the other hand... why not be happy, no, ecstatic, with how much you've got through already?

Is that back sheet of the cockpit intimately involved with the new piece of deck that's going next to it, or can it be tackled as a separate task after a breather and some dental repairs? Could a patch be put in so as to not be a total nightmare to fully replace at another time?

I agree with all that.

Thanks Peter, I haven't worked out how to imbed videos as yet.

Your not concerned about having all the deck off at the same time Phil? I thought section by section, (one section off, then new ply on) may alleviate some of that concern?

Hmm, I guess it comes down to where you can stop and rebuild without having to redo later. Rebuilding and then starting a new section is good if it doesn't involve pulling apart work that you've just done. So I guess I'd stop at that point if you're there or keep going until you are. And make hay while the sun shines!

Rick

Like Gypsy did if I am remembering rightly. Take the bow section off, replace it, starboard side, replace it, port side, replace it, aft section, replace it. Just wondering if im missing something?

Don't make hay while it's 49 degrees C. It wrecks it.

Like Gypsy did if I am remembering rightly. Take the bow section off, replace it, starboard side, replace it, port side, replace it, aft section, replace it. Just wondering if im missing something?
    Yep, like that - that's how I try to do it too. I was thinking more of the cockpit with my comment, an area where stuff is sort of inconveniently tied together. But, it doesn't really rain much in Adelaide at this time of year, does it? So maybe there's no real problem in leaving areas of the deck missing? You couldn't do it here at this time of year but maybe it's fine to do it that way there?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Don't make hay while it's 49 degrees C. It wrecks it.
    Wouldn't you just get instant hay? Or does it explode? I've loaded hay bales and I know that ain't much fun but I've never `made hay'! But they tell me it should be done when the sun shines.

Rick

I'm doing it in 3, maybe 4 sections. The plan is to cut the old to a point just beyond where the new will come to. Starboard. Then forward or Port. Probably port. Then forward. Then aft. If winter comes before I'm done, which is quite likely, I'll have to do some sort of temporary join between old and new. Too much sunshine Rick. I'm going to have a few days off. I don't really want to work when it's over 38. Which pretty much rules out Friday to Wednesday, and then we are off to Tassie.

Not really expecting rain until mid March.

But is that right that you can really leave it open because it just won't rain now, until winter?

Rick

Thanks Peter, I haven't worked out how to imbed videos as yet.

Your not concerned about having all the deck off at the same time Phil? I thought section by section, (one section off, then new ply on) may alleviate some of that concern?
    Look at the right hand side of the tool bar, from right to left you have Insert quotes, Insert video,Insert photo etc. If you copy the location of say a Youtube video what you do next is click on the Insert video icon. This will bring up a txt field, paste the video location into the txt field and then click okay and that will embed the video.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

It must be as hot as buggery doing what you've been doing! Are you able to set up a shade shelter over the boom or string something from the masts? It's been really hot working in my cockpit but I've had a shade cover up the whole time, which really has helped. Sweaty but out of that burning sun.

Rick

If your really keen you could start early and work until 11 on hot days. But you know that.

Thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Wouldn't you just get instant hay? Or does it explode? I've loaded hay bales and I know that ain't much fun but I've never `made hay'! But they tell me it should be done when the sun shines.
    I haven't the remotest clue. I was just spouting gibberish.
    Then again 49C wrecks everything, doesn't it?

Seriously. No rain until March. I don't want to do tarps. They get in the way and blow away and there's nothing much to tie down to and just nah. Might do some early morning and evening work. But I really don't want to upset the shoreside neighbours. If it takes a couple of summers that really is OK. We brought the boat here to do the deck 3 years ago.

If its too hot will fry the outside while still green inside. If you leave it long enough to dry the inside it will be too dry on the outside, leaving very little nutritional value.
    You want some moisture still in the grass for nutritional value before bailing it. Too much moisture and it will heat up once stacked in the shed and self combust.
    I have memories of my Grand Father going out into the paddock and giving it the chew test. If it passes the chew test, your good to go.

Hey!

Rick

So Matt's right - 49c would wreck it for sure. My grandparents had a sheep station and so did my parents, but only briefly. My grandparents and parents sold the farms before I was born. I often wonder how different our lives would have been if they'd stayed. I reckon, at least, I'd have found out more about hay.

Probably more about fxxxxxx gearboxes too ... Mine is currently on its way to Qld where, hopefully it'll be reborn into something useful! I've asked the guy to get it going to `as new' standard, even if I have to spend some more money. It's a bit pathetic but, even though I have lots to do to the boat, I can't really get motivated to move ahead while I'm waiting. A clear case of not making hay while the sun shines! as I do currently have time that I should be using a lot more productively. Tomorrow .....

Rick

You don't want hay in your gearbox. Don't get confused now, Rick.

Apparently banana peals can work in gear boxes. Then you will have banana's full time on your boat though.

Been slowly getting back into doing stuff. The next big boat job is altering the sail but I'm waiting on a reel of polyester cotton suitable for sewing the sail...next week I believe.
    One other job is making a ply clamp to go around the mast below deck. The mast needs lifting and rotating a couple of inches but it's jammed down and I can't physically lift it, even though it's only around 87kg. So the plan is to put the clamp on then sit a couple of car jacks either side and lift it that way. There will be a couple of guides clamped to the v berth framing to keep the mast vertical. I think it should work, I'll most likely know next week.
    Also started sanding back the boom today for new clear finish.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Gary,how about a 25mm hole through the bottom of the mast about 300 up. A 25mm Steel bar would make a good jacking point .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead