Page 1294 of 1384 FirstFirst ... 29479411941244128412931294129513041344 ... LastLast
Results 45,256 to 45,290 of 48426

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

You know there's enough room for Romana on that berth too.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post

You are getting through the work well!

What's that under and around the outboard motorboat beside you?
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    You are getting through the work well!

What's that under and around the outboard motorboat beside you?
    It’s a floating slip, saves having to antifoul.
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

What he said, kind of. But it's not one of those slips which rises up out of the water. Theres kind of a basket of netting around the boat. I don't know if its chlorinated like those old boat bags or something?

Big effort today. Making Balia great again. The 3 midships portside panels are just held by temporary screws until tomorrow but she looks a bit like a boat with a deck again..

Excellent! Like a real boat!

Yaarrr

Arawana's new owners include two small kids. I figured they'll need pirate bags for when they go adventuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Looking good there Phil!

I think the theory with that floating boat bag thing is that you don't get much growth on the boat if there's no current bring lots of new things along. So, if your boat sits in a bag of water rather than being exposed to the current, you don't get much growth. I didn't think they added chemicals but perhaps they do?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Yaarrr

Arawana's new owners include two small kids. I figured they'll need pirate bags for when they go adventuring.

Cool bags.
    The social contract that bestows authority both moral and legal on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Cool bags.

I used one of the paper stencils to spray the bags with black graffiti paint. It didn't go quite to plan but it looks spooky, so it will be ok. Now I'm wondering about grommets and a draw string. I hate grommets with a passion. I've seen some plastic snap together jobs that might be better than the bash and smash brass ones.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Pixie has gone from this:

....to this:

The cut out is 500mm overall.

The worst spot, in the middle, where I went deeper, is 200mm long. I didn't go any further because there's only 25mm of timber left above that. There are no worms. All remaining holes were cleared out and squirted with everdure. Two of them went all the way through, to above the waterline inside, thankfully.

Last edited by MattSplatt; 03-08-2019 at 08:32 AM.

This afternoon I glued a piece into the middle section (and didn't get a photo), leaving the V-shaped cutout the whole way along. Now I can glue an essentially square sectioned (though very slightly curved) piece into the full length then plane it back down to the original hull shape.

20190307_190031.jpg
    Ricks bird... this looks like an ex hot water cylinder ,copper rooster to me, but we call it the surfing chicken. Not Rick, I was just joshing about that

Book,book.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Looking good there Phil!

I think the theory with that floating boat bag thing is that you don't get much growth on the boat if there's no current bring lots of new things along. So, if your boat sits in a bag of water rather than being exposed to the current, you don't get much growth. I didn't think they added chemicals but perhaps they do?

Rick
    I think it's just chlorine, which is not considered pollution as it breaks down with sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I honestly can't imagine how that could be easier to manage. The lateen has two sticks, one sheet, one pointy end thing and a halyard. I don't think I could raise that junk rig on a 2.4 metre dink in a fit. The string tangles alone would disqualify it, let alone all the booms unless you reduce the panels to one and it's then by default a lateen or lug.

You seem to be on the money with that, Bruce. The weight of the battens alone would add significantly to capsizing moment.

I must say I was quite impressed with the only lug-rigged dinghy I used, although the weight of a standard alloy or timber yard would be a worry in a Holder. Is there a windsurfer shop with a pile of second-hand broken carbon windsurfer masts near you?

Matt you were so lucky those worm holes came out above the waterline. I don't think I'd like to have an unsheathed boat in those waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    You seem to be on the money with that, Bruce. The weight of the battens alone would add significantly to capsizing moment.

I must say I was quite impressed with the only lug-rigged dinghy I used, although the weight of a standard alloy or timber yard would be a worry in a Holder. Is there a windsurfer shop with a pile of second-hand broken carbon windsurfer masts near you?

I'm cutting down the Holdie mast and boom, which are badly corroded where bolts went through and rivets were attached. The mast is now 1.7 metres, the yard is 1.5, there is no boom. The sail is 1.3 sqm with a low c-e. It isn't completed but it looks like a tiny boomless lateen - much like a lugs'l with the fore triangle still attached.

The kids that it's for are not yet sailors. If they can get motion out of this they will have had to learn quite a bit. Hopefully they will graduate to something more efficient and exciting, but that will have to be up to their family. I don't have the resources available nor the time to do other than this jury rig from the scraps of the Holdie. If they stay on the same berth next to Phil, as planned, they will have a good neighbour to learn from.

Is the old Holdy sail still in one piece?

Looks like a good plan Matt!

And I think my bird is quite a handsome chap!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Pixie has gone from this:

....to this:

The cut out is 500mm overall.

The worst spot, in the middle, where I went deeper, is 200mm long. I didn't go any further because there's only 25mm of timber left above that. There are no worms. All remaining holes were cleared out and squirted with everdure. Two of them went all the way through, to above the waterline inside, thankfully.

Glad to see you are winning.
    Is that Oregon planking on her hull?

Default Antipodean Boats Connection

Is the old Holdy sail still in one piece?

Yes, main and jib although I have to repair the jib leach. I've got quite a bit of old sail scraps to use, mostly old and damaged and ripped but a couple of good bits left.

That's where these bits came from.

Another example of Queenslanders quirky affection with larger than life statements.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Another example of Queenslanders quirky affection with larger than life statements.
    Mandurah WA, that’s an old school mate feeding the chooks.

Why?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Chook: book, book

Frog: Reddit
    A Purri post I understand. Wooo Hoooo!

That ply on the port side midships is now glued and screwed. Tomorrow I hope to cut and fit 5 sheets of ply, second layer, port side, and then glue them down in Monday.

I imagine that's a bit ambitious. Will be pretty happy if they are all done by sunset on Wednesday.

Matt you were so lucky those worm holes came out above the waterline. I don't think I'd like to have an unsheathed boat in those waters.
    Yes. :-)

The power supply and pump are good, though, and I was checking the boat every two or three days. If she started taking water there I'd have noticed pretty quick and got her out. Would have leaked pretty slow through a 3mm hole near the waterline.

I am not much liking having an unsheathed boat in these waters. The bloody worms are a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Glad to see you are winning.
    Is that Oregon planking on her hull?
    Those planks you see are most likely Oregon, yes. She's teak above the waterline and mostly Oregon below.
    The uppermost plank visible in that photo might be teak.

That ply on the port side midships is now glued and screwed. Tomorrow I hope to cut and fit 5 sheets of ply, second layer, port side, and then glue them down in Monday.

I imagine that's a bit ambitious. Will be pretty happy if they are all done by sunset on Wednesday.
    Brilliant!
    Nothing wrong with ambitious.

Why?

Rick
    Why not, they like a good feed of old roofing nails.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Yes. :-)

The power supply and pump are good, though, and I was checking the boat every two or three days. If she started taking water there I'd have noticed pretty quick and got her out. Would have leaked pretty slow through a 3mm hole near the waterline.

I am not much liking having an unsheathed boat in these waters. The bloody worms are a pain.
    You ought to consider sheathing it Matt. I think you have two options, possibly. If the hull is tight, then you can sheathe it with a layer of glass and epoxy. That's actually pretty easy but you'd have to work out a schedule. The boat would need to be lifted out, all paint below the waterline would need to be stripped off and then the boat would need to be dry. Once it's dry, then it's not that different to sheathing Phil's deck. I'd only sheathe up to the waterline. You then get to forget about worms and you can schedule AF for about 18 months to 2 years instead of every year. It's a big saving in the long run.

If the hull isn't tight, then you can refasten and do as above, or you can forget about refastening and do a structural sheathing job instead. It's a lot more work and expensive but less of both than refastening. If you have any rot, you have to get rid of that, whichever method you use.

Having had an unsheathed wooden boat in the water and a sheathed boat in the water, I would never have a an unsheathed boat kept in the water again. If I were you, I'd plan to sheathe Pixie within the next few years. She's a lovely boat - i think it's the best way to preserve her and sheathing will save a lot of money in slipping and AF costs in the long run.

Obviously all just my opinion.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Why not, they like a good feed of old roofing nails.
    I figured it would be something like that.

Rick

You ought to consider sheathing it Matt...

...If I were you, I'd plan to sheathe Pixie within the next few years. She's a lovely boat - i think it's the best way to preserve her and sheathing will save a lot of money in slipping and AF costs in the long run.

Rick
    I definitely plan to sheathe Pixie in the next few years.
    The hull is not tight. There is no rot, but it isn't structurally stable enough. So...

First I have to solve the work location problem, and I'm working on this. For me, this means the boat and my tools are inside a shed on the same property as my dwelling or no more than two minutes away. I have learned this about myself; it's the only way I'll do the work and not hate it. Even the yard where Pixie is now, ten to fifteen minutes away, is too far, and I have to carry crap in from the car over and over, etc. For major jobs it's just not fun, and we're doing this stuff for fun aren't we??

The alternative would be winning some money, renting a shed and booking Pixie in as my full time day job for six months. I am unlikely to win any money, since that requires buying lottery tickets and stuff.

Once I have location sorted, and if my paid work schedule hasn't greatly changed, Pixie will go in that shed and get all new laminated frames and new fastenings. Then she can be sheathed, maybe just to the waterline but more likely the whole hull. It's a lovely little hull with very good planking, so I think this is worthwhile if she's going to be a long term keeper.

This is 90% pipe dream, of course. But we have to dream.

That's what it would take to sheathe Pixie, because until then the hull is too flexible. Locking it all down with new frames and fasteners will make it worth sheathing.

I am rabbiting on a bit. Must be Saturday night... do do dooo do dooo.

I'll get another drinkie and write some more...

There's another structural repair to do on Pixie. The earlier photos were the Good Part. There is a Less Good Part, and it's Quite A Bit Less Good.

(This is sometimes also known as Quite Bad, but I've decided how I'm going to approach this, so I'm calling it Less Good)

On Friday I decided to dig at a part of the hull I knew I'd need to dig at eventually. Someone decades ago decided to put a depth sounder in the forefoot cutaway. Yep. Clever. 1" hole all the way through a 3" backbone timber. They chopped a lump out of the nice line of the cutaway and left it looking like this:

It's a bit hard to see but that's the only 'before' photo I could find. Basically there's a flat spot chopped into that notch in the cutaway.

tbc...